"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:00 am

I said Hercules to beat the censorship

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:01 am

FutureGohanSSJ2 wrote:
Mewzard wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:Y'all think Mark Satan will be called Hercules or Satan in English Dub
In the uncut dub, he's called Mr. Satan. Given they don't put DBZ or Kai on kid-friendly timeslots anymore, I think the only place we'll hear (the H-word) Poirot is in video games.
First, he was never called "Hercules". He was called (the H-word).

Second, in Xenoverse, he's called (the H-word) in the dub. So it's possible he still could be called (the H-word) in Super, but not likely.
And "Satan" is already plastered on stuff in the first episode, might as well just roll with it.

FutureGohanSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FutureGohanSSJ2 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:06 am

And "Satan" is already plastered on stuff in the first episode, might as well just roll with it.
That doesn't mean anything though. Satan is his last name. Satan being plastered everywhere doesn't mean they can't still call him Hercule.

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:57 am

Why is his name even being questioned? Hercule was only used a couple times in DBZ Uncut, in Kai for the Nicktoons and CW broadcasts and in Xenoverse because the games always use the old Funi names for some reason (heck, I don't even think Funi is involved with any of the games). Aside from those instances, he was always known as Mr. Satan, and will be in Super.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:13 am

Chuquita wrote:I love behind the scenes stuff like this. X3

What kind of service does it say after Vegeta?
It's Vegeta's family service! Probably referring to Vegeta "servicing" his family by going on this trip with them, but I like to think of it as family fan-service (fam-service? fanily service? Blah, making words is dumb...)

Ever since Vegeta had that line about taking Trunks to the amusement park, I've always wondered what that would have been like, and thought it would make a great filler episode. Now, all these years later, it's finally happening :D These storyboards are getting me even more hyped. The text promises plenty of scenes of Vegeta we'd normally never see (shopping with Bulma, riding on a roller coaster...) OMG, she actually gets him to wear a Hawaiian shirt...I'm feel like I'm gonna be fucking screaming while watching this :lol: Why isn't Saturday here yet?!
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:23 am

Let's just hope that theme park trip is better than the time the Cyborgs decided to go to one. At least hope maybe Vegeta doesn't blow up half of it XD.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:25 am

Episode 2 needs the origins of Vegeta karaoke, he needs to discover his love for the art at the resort!

DisapprovingOwl
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DisapprovingOwl » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:30 am

Doctor. wrote:Episode 3's title confirms something about Beerus remembering Super Saiyan God, so it's possible Toyotaro had access to the script and adapted that part early.
Totally called it. I'm betting that's when we'll see him visit the bug aliens and hear of "Soup Yasai Jinkot"... = )

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:49 am

I must have missed something, where are people getting the episode titles from 2 onwards?
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:31 am

Saiga wrote:I must have missed something, where are people getting the episode titles from 2 onwards?
Check the animation staff thread.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:32 am

Saiga wrote:I must have missed something, where are people getting the episode titles from 2 onwards?
It was over in the animation staff thread, when JulieYBM posted a link to a 2ch thread that provided them:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 20#p954379

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:56 am

Just wondering, do you guys think Super's existence has had any impact on whether we get more movies in future? Now that Toei has a constant source of new DB material that Toriyama is also involved in, is all of the focus going to be on Super over the next few years? Or do you think we'll still be seeing more movies that tie in with the new series in some way?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:00 am

Movies are an easy, controlled way to make money off of an event release, so we probably will get more movies.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:21 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Just wondering, do you guys think Super's existence has had any impact on whether we get more movies in future? Now that Toei has a constant source of new DB material that Toriyama is also involved in, is all of the focus going to be on Super over the next few years? Or do you think we'll still be seeing more movies that tie in with the new series in some way?
Yet again we can only speculate on how long (in terms of number of episodes) DBSuper is going to run, but if it runs nearly as long as DBZ did I'm sure that eventually we'll get movie "side-stories" much in the same way we got them in the 4 DB movie,s the 13 DBZ movies and GT. However, as far as those 13 movies go, most of them have direct references to major events or characters mentioned in the canon series' timeline and storyline, so if they do happen at some point in the future - during or after DBSuper's run - I'm pretty positive that we'll get mentions to Beerus, Whis, Champa, Super Saiya-jin God, Freeza, Golden Freeza, Super Saiya-jin God Super Saiya-jin and whatever new characters/villains/antagonists we'll get to see in the introduction of the 6th Universe arc.

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:33 am

Herms wrote:Ha! It says the reason Vegeta and family are going to this amusement park is because of that time when Vegeta and Trunks were training together, and Vegeta promised to take Trunks to an amusement park if he managed to hit his face. Was that confirmed already? I know I didn't make that connection at all until now.
In the printing we see along with the concept arc we clearly get to see the episode early in the Majin Buu arc when Vegeta is training in the gravity room along with Trunks for the upcoming Tenkaichi Budokai that precedes the saga. It's really a relief to have it confirmed that they managed to remember that and link up the events of Vegeta's family trip in episode 2 of DBSuper to something uttered by a character 18/19 years ago.

I've always automatically connected this promise by Vegeta as a family man/father figure to his son as the one made by Goku to Gohan to take him fishing in the Saiya-jin saga in episode 29 of DBZ before he goes off to fight Vegeta, which eventually he ended up keeping as well (although he didn't even remember it by the time he actually keeps it) during those 10 days leading up to the Cell Games. Goku and Vegeta are pretty much compared to each other in virtually every single aspect, even when it comes to how they deal with and interact with their respective sons and families.

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:49 am

I know this is a long shot and more than pure speculation and more like wishful thinking, but just out of curiosity, if at some point in DBSuper they thought of reintroducing/bringing back some characters from the distant past of DB and DBZ, which one would you look forward to the most?

I personally would like both Raditz and Bardock to return, even if only for a brief period of time, also and especially due to the fact that they're members of Goku's family. I've always wondered what would be Goku's reaction to be face-to-face with his father, and the other way around. Goku would also probably get to accept Raditz as his brother by this point, instead of when he was first introduced in the first episodes of DBZ. Goku has a natural tendency to forgive his enemies, even the most fearful and hateful ones, provided that enough time has passed. Bardock did get his screen time and his "revenge" as a character with such great potential and excellent background in Episode of Bardock, but that's non-canon and the story was conceived mostly to, after all these years, have Bardock get his revenge if not on Freeza himself, then on someone from Freeza's family line. The sense of desperation we share with Bardock himself throughout his special was an issue we finally got resolved that way. Pretty much everyone is a Bardock fan and sympathizes with his "cause". For me personally, as a hardcore Vegeta fan, it's just like getting to see Vegeta beating the shit out of Freeza in Fukkatsu no F after being ridiculed, humiliated, beaten and killed by him in the Freeza arc, after years and years of abuse with the knowledge that it was Freeza who committed the genocide of his race, killed his father and had him under his rule as a puppet for over two decades. All these years later, we get to see Vegeta taking revenge for all of this by personally taking care of Freeza (I just wish he would have been the one to actually just kill him, which he was just about to do before Freeza decided to blow up the planet). I read somewhere earlier some of you discussing how Vegeta should or could, or that it would be a good idea, to have Vegeta get to kill Freeza in the Fukkatsu no F arc in DBSuper instead of Goku like it happened in the movie, but, yet again, I doubt it will happen. As far as solving the return of Freeza in a much more powerful stage in the Fukkatsu no F movie goes, they thought it would be the ideal thing to have BOTH Vegeta and Goku beat/kill Freeza, which in a way was exactly what happened. They very deliberately had Vegeta step in and also beat Freeza to a pulp before Goku got to actually kill Freeza, but Goku still "had" to be the one to finally kill Freeza and save the day. The going-back-in-time trick they came up for Whis to have was the way to get around the issues of having BOTH Goku AND Vegeta (finally) be the heroes this time around. Vegeta is and probably will always be "one step behind" Goku, or at most equal to or on par with him, which is why in Fukkatsu no F they thought that in the end it really had to be Goku to yet again deliver the final, decisive blow. Vegeta's evolution as a character throughout the arcs in DBZ has definitely earned him his place as a "hero" figure, but Goku has been the real protagonist and hero figure ever since he was introduced as a kid in the first episodes of DB and all the way throughout the entire series, except for that little small period of time in and slightly after the Cell Games arc in which it's actually Gohan who was the only one who could get things done and be his supposed "successor" both in terms of power and main protagonism in the series, which was a concept they went for after the Cell arc but just didn't work during the Majin Buu arc, much less after that.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:45 am

sailorspazz wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I love behind the scenes stuff like this. X3

What kind of service does it say after Vegeta?
It's Vegeta's family service! Probably referring to Vegeta "servicing" his family by going on this trip with them, but I like to think of it as family fan-service (fam-service? fanily service? Blah, making words is dumb...)

Ever since Vegeta had that line about taking Trunks to the amusement park, I've always wondered what that would have been like, and thought it would make a great filler episode. Now, all these years later, it's finally happening :D These storyboards are getting me even more hyped. The text promises plenty of scenes of Vegeta we'd normally never see (shopping with Bulma, riding on a roller coaster...) OMG, she actually gets him to wear a Hawaiian shirt...I'm feel like I'm gonna be fucking screaming while watching this :lol: Why isn't Saturday here yet?!
This sounds like the best episode ever. (≧▽≦)

I thought that was Vegeta wearing a Hawaiian shirt, and to find out it is!

I can't wait for Saturday!
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:50 am

DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Just wondering, do you guys think Super's existence has had any impact on whether we get more movies in future? Now that Toei has a constant source of new DB material that Toriyama is also involved in, is all of the focus going to be on Super over the next few years? Or do you think we'll still be seeing more movies that tie in with the new series in some way?
Seeing how well "F" is doing I think that may be a given. Perhaps we will get a retelling of the Universe 6 arc in movie form? And if we do get a new movie wonder if they'll stick with the Z brand or use Super.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:03 am

JulieYBM wrote:Movies are an easy, controlled way to make money off of an event release, so we probably will get more movies.
If Dragon Ball Super ends up being a long running anime, like 100 episodes and more, do you think movies will be made during Super's run?

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:15 am

nekobi wrote:(Apologies if this has already been asked, but I've been following the thread pretty close and didn't see anything more posted.)

So was there ever any other images or info about the supposed Dragon Ball Super booth at Anime-Expo? All I've seen is that one image and it sure seems odd they would even advertise it when no one has announced any sort of simulcast or other release at all. Was it a fake? Or was it a press-only backstage booth type thing? *wonders*
Link to image?
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)