"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Kicks it Old-School
Posts: 9444
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Postby Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:28 pm

Marco Polo wrote:
FutureGohanSSJ2 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:Huh, so the circumstances of Beerus remembering Super Saiyan God does differ between the manga and anime.
I'm quite surprised by that.


...why? Toyotaro's manga is nothing more than a sneak-peak adaptation. His manga is not canon, this series is.

I think he is surprised that the manga is not actually sneaking-peaking since it differs from the anime. It's more like a retelling, in fact.


The series is retelling the movie and the manga is retelling the series, so we will end up with three different interpretations? :crazy:
Top releases of each month to look forward too:
December: DBS Movie Ichiban Kuji Prize A Super Saiyan Broly Full Power, Prize D SSGSS Son Goku (sculptors currently unknown), Ultimate Soldier I Anger Broly (assumed sculpted by Hiroyuki Nakazawa)
January: DBS Movie Ultimate Soldiers IV (assumed sculpted by Hiroyuki Nakazawa)
February: DBS Movie WCF vol.3 (sculpted by Hiroyuki Nakazawa)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Super related merchandise and figures Album of SSGSS shots Album of Ultra Instinct shots Album of Ultra Instinct "Omen" shots Album of SSG shots

User avatar
sintzu
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 12928
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Postby sintzu » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:33 pm

MaGyunia wrote:It's a good thing to have Vegeta recover his full obsession to become the best. That's basically what always made him surpass himself and the others and reach new levels and heights in terms of power.


With him saying more then once he doesn't want to remain #2,hopefully by that he means he wants to reach Ssj3 and Bulma getting hit will probably be the thing he needs to do it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
irreality
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 931
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:08 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Postby irreality » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:05 am

^ can't people just get stronger without having to transform? Although SS3 Vegeta is interesting from a simple curiousity standpoint, I think it is a really ugly transformation and has a lot of downsides, like being unstable outside of the Heavenly Realm. I'd much rather have him just be stronger in base form or SS2 form.

FutureGohanSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:32 pm

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Postby FutureGohanSSJ2 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:01 am

dbgtFO wrote:
FutureGohanSSJ2 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:Huh, so the circumstances of Beerus remembering Super Saiyan God does differ between the manga and anime.
I'm quite surprised by that.


...why? Toyotaro's manga is nothing more than a sneak-peak adaptation. His manga is not canon, this series is.

What does canon have to do with this?
I'm well aware it's a sneak-peek of what's to come, but I just didn't think we'd get such different accounts of how the events would occur. It seems like they just told Toyotaro to come up with a scenario, where Beerus remembers Super Saiyan God. I don't have a problem with that, it just surprised me, they'd do it like that.


It was the same with the Resurrection F manga, too.

User avatar
GokuRules987
Banned
Posts: 483
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:21 pm

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Postby GokuRules987 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:14 am

irreality wrote:^ can't people just get stronger without having to transform? Although SS3 Vegeta is interesting from a simple curiousity standpoint, I think it is a really ugly transformation and has a lot of downsides, like being unstable outside of the Heavenly Realm. I'd much rather have him just be stronger in base form or SS2 form.


Sure but strength isnt always the factor in the fight, Characters in DBZ are already powerful enough to blow up planets and solar systems but their other factors such as speed and durability is not that good. Goku was simply too slow to land any hits on Beerus therefore simply becoming stronger wouldn't really impact his speed much. I mean didn't Beerus felt a slight pain from that bullet that hit him in the forehead? now try getting hit by Goku's fist that would be millions times more painful than that lol

In the latest RoF film, we also see how Whis is able to move both Gokus and Vegeta attacks away from him with just his palm, its not like he was tanking those attacks, they were just simply missing him. Now who do I think would win in a fight between Andromeda Shun and Whis? I personally think with what we seen Whis do, he could probably beat bronze cloth Shun no problem but maybe with some effort no doubt. But when it comes to God Cloth Shun, I think he would stomp Whis with ease, just because there is going to be a huge difference in terms of speed and durability between them.

Point is that transformations are important because they go beyond the biological limits of your speed, durability and even strength.
My Intelligence level is over 9000!!!

User avatar
Captain Space
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1520
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:52 pm

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Postby Captain Space » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:39 am

GokuRules987 wrote:
irreality wrote:^ can't people just get stronger without having to transform? Although SS3 Vegeta is interesting from a simple curiousity standpoint, I think it is a really ugly transformation and has a lot of downsides, like being unstable outside of the Heavenly Realm. I'd much rather have him just be stronger in base form or SS2 form.


Sure but strength isnt always the factor in the fight, Characters in DBZ are already powerful enough to blow up planets and solar systems but their other factors such as speed and durability is not that good. Goku was simply too slow to land any hits on Beerus therefore simply becoming stronger wouldn't really impact his speed much. I mean didn't Beerus felt a slight pain from that bullet that hit him in the forehead? now try getting hit by Goku's fist that would be millions times more painful than that lol

In the latest RoF film, we also see how Whis is able to move both Gokus and Vegeta attacks away from him with just his palm, its not like he was tanking those attacks, they were just simply missing him. Now who do I think would win in a fight between Andromeda Shun and Whis? I personally think with what we seen Whis do, he could probably beat bronze cloth Shun no problem but maybe with some effort no doubt. But when it comes to God Cloth Shun, I think he would stomp Whis with ease, just because there is going to be a huge difference in terms of speed and durability between them.

Point is that transformations are important because they go beyond the biological limits of your speed, durability and even strength.


Eh, not really. With only like...a very rare few exceptions (Trunks' super-buff SSJ form), getting "stronger" in DB/Z means your strength, speed, durability, etc. all increase. Your overall "battle power" increases. Pretty much every significant bit of training does this, pretty much every transformation does this.
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

User avatar
Sora Saiyan
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 867
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:19 am
Location: Destiny Islands

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Postby Sora Saiyan » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:42 am

GokuRules987 wrote:Sure but strength isnt always the factor in the fight, Characters in DBZ are already powerful enough to blow up planets and solar systems but their other factors such as speed and durability is not that good. Goku was simply too slow to land any hits on Beerus therefore simply becoming stronger wouldn't really impact his speed much. I mean didn't Beerus felt a slight pain from that bullet that hit him in the forehead? now try getting hit by Goku's fist that would be millions times more painful than that lol

In the latest RoF film, we also see how Whis is able to move both Gokus and Vegeta attacks away from him with just his palm, its not like he was tanking those attacks, they were just simply missing him. Now who do I think would win in a fight between Andromeda Shun and Whis? I personally think with what we seen Whis do, he could probably beat bronze cloth Shun no problem but maybe with some effort no doubt. But when it comes to God Cloth Shun, I think he would stomp Whis with ease, just because there is going to be a huge difference in terms of speed and durability between them.

Point is that transformations are important because they go beyond the biological limits of your speed, durability and even strength.

I disagree with the speed and durability thing in DB to me they usually scale with the the characters Ki and strength. I believe that DB characters can basically tank anything that is below their power or just equal to them but the only time a DB character can be hurt by something that's not extremely powerful is when they're able to suppress themselves below that attacks level. I think the bullet was just a bit of a gag scene I wouldn't say Beerus felt pain from it, but getting away from that, as we know Goku can punch quite hard pre god, I'm sure you know know he punches a lot harder as a SSJG and Beerus had no trouble taking hits from that Goku. Usually in DB when character A is more powerful than character B they are normally better in all departments.
The heart may be weak. And sometimes it may even give in. But I've learned... that deep down there's a light that never goes out! -Sora

User avatar
rolmanus
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:35 pm

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Postby rolmanus » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:17 am

How far do you guys think the creators will go in changing stuff from the movies? Honestly I hope that if they change anything big, it will be the time-reversing ability of Whis.
I seriously hope that they will scrap this, it gives way too much power to the character, and since they are on Goku's side, it takes away so much of the tension, since there is really nothing to fear even in the worst scenario, since Whis can restore it (okay, okay, I know, the Dragon Balls themselves are taking away the risk of something bad happening permanently, but still..). Unless of course we'll go to heights where even Whis is killed... I believe that it should either be scrapped, or be given a very serious limit.

(Sorry if my english isn't the best, it's not my first language.)

User avatar
MaGyunia
Regular
Posts: 621
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Portugal
Contact:

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Postby MaGyunia » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:26 am

sintzu wrote:
MaGyunia wrote:It's a good thing to have Vegeta recover his full obsession to become the best. That's basically what always made him surpass himself and the others and reach new levels and heights in terms of power.


With him saying more then once he doesn't want to remain #2,hopefully by that he means he wants to reach Ssj3 and Bulma getting hit will probably be the thing he needs to do it.


Before DBSuper was announced, let alone getting info about it or watching the episodes, I've always had the theory that at some point between BoG and Fukkatsu no F he had reached - or become able to reach - Super Saiya-jin 3, just like Goku, to put him on par with him, and then underwent the same ritual to reach Super Saiya-jin God, which basically enhances the maximum power level of a Saiya-jin by a given degree instead of being an actual incremental transformation like all the other stages of Super Saiya-jin. According to this theory, Vegeta basically WOULD have underwent the same exact process Goku did (although he achieved each stage at a different, later time), and was as strong as Goku in each stage: Super Saiya-jin - Super Saiya-jin Dai Ni Dankai - Super Saiya-jin Full Power - Super Saiya-jin 2 - Super Saiya-jin 3 - Super Saiya-jin God - Super Saiya-jin God Super Saiya-jin. Of course, with the retelling of the events of BoG in different circumstances will mean that IF all of this actually happens to Vegeta, it will happen during the Beerus arc in DBSuper or shortly after, in the first episodes before the Freeza arc. He might just skip Super Saiya-jin 3, though, my theory is just that, a theory.

User avatar
MaGyunia
Regular
Posts: 621
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 4:42 pm
Location: Portugal
Contact:

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Postby MaGyunia » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:52 am

rolmanus wrote:How far do you guys think the creators will go in changing stuff from the movies? Honestly I hope that if they change anything big, it will be the time-reversing ability of Whis.
I seriously hope that they will scrap this, it gives way too much power to the character, and since they are on Goku's side, it takes away so much of the tension, since there is really nothing to fear even in the worst scenario, since Whis can restore it (okay, okay, I know, the Dragon Balls themselves are taking away the risk of something bad happening permanently, but still..). Unless of course we'll go to heights where even Whis is killed... I believe that it should either be scrapped, or be given a very serious limit.

(Sorry if my english isn't the best, it's not my first language.)


In fact, the whole environment of Fukkatsu no F made the viewers' feel the lack of real tension and the inability by Freeza to, even after reaching a level of power close to/on par/above Super Saiya-jin God and Super Saiya-jin God Super Saiya-jin Goku and Vegeta, become a serious menace. On one hand, we had Beerus and Whis present, so even if Goku and/or Vegeta failed, they'd eventually take care of Freeza themselves. On the other hand, as you pointed out, Whis' time-reversal ability, although limited to 3 minutes, pretty much provides him with the ability to basically undo any damage done by anyone whatsoever, rethink the strategy and turn totally hopeless circumstances into an easy victory. On yet another hand, I've always defended Goku was holding back as SSJGSSJ during his fight with Freeza and even Golden Freeza, given how relaxed he always is throughout the movie, even when/after fighting Freeza in his Golden form, which suggests he never really ever viewed Freeza as capable of defeating or killing him or the others. Besides, both Goku and Vegeta as Super Saiya-jin God Super Saiya-jin would be eventually able to take care of him. All of this combined can turn the experience of Fukkatsu no F as a failed attempt to have Freeza become a serious menace, so the entire atmosphere of the movie wasn't in any significant way more serious, dark or dramatic than the one in BoG.

User avatar
sintzu
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 12928
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Postby sintzu » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:16 am

rolmanus wrote:How far do you guys think the creators will go in changing stuff from the movies ?


As of now it looks like the main plot points will be the same but will happen differently.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 781
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:17 am

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Postby VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:03 am

Can anyone translate what the Next Episode preview said?
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

User avatar
Neo-Makaiōshin
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1809
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:31 pm
Location: Argentina
Contact:

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Postby Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:14 am

MaGyunia wrote:(...) On the other hand, as you pointed out, Whis' time-reversal ability, although limited to 3 minutes, pretty much provides him with the ability to basically undo any damage done by anyone whatsoever, rethink the strategy and turn totally hopeless circumstances into an easy victory.(...)

I think one way to get away with Whis fixing damage time travel(manipulation is more accurate)without removing it, could be putting him out of the action(not killing him) beyond the 3min limit he has, for example:
1.Damange happens.
2.Whis is not present for 5 minutes or more.
3.Damange can´t be undone.
~~A sound Soul dwells within a sound Mind and a sound Body~~

~~Without Themes, Pathos, Conflict and Arc, things like Plot and worldbuilding are meaningless and superficial fluff~~

Anime I've Watched
Movies I've Watched

User avatar
goku the krump dancer
I Live Here
Posts: 2732
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Postby goku the krump dancer » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:08 am

Already I think everything is being done better, especially Beerus getting a flash back in the midst of an exploding planet.. pretty sick.

At this rate I just may ignore the movies all together.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.

User avatar
ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5623
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:03 am

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Postby ArchedThunder » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:15 am

I'm just imagining the internet uproar if we don't get a timeskip to 4 years after Buu and despite that Videl is pregnant during the confrontation with Beerus. Guess that would mean not only would Super be ignoring GT, but it would ignore end of Z as well, I'd be okay with that honestly.

User avatar
Sora Saiyan
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 867
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:19 am
Location: Destiny Islands

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Postby Sora Saiyan » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:29 am

rolmanus wrote:How far do you guys think the creators will go in changing stuff from the movies? Honestly I hope that if they change anything big, it will be the time-reversing ability of Whis.
I seriously hope that they will scrap this, it gives way too much power to the character, and since they are on Goku's side, it takes away so much of the tension, since there is really nothing to fear even in the worst scenario, since Whis can restore it (okay, okay, I know, the Dragon Balls themselves are taking away the risk of something bad happening permanently, but still..). Unless of course we'll go to heights where even Whis is killed... I believe that it should either be scrapped, or be given a very serious limit.

(Sorry if my english isn't the best, it's not my first language.)

I can't see them changing Whis' time manipulation ability, I think it has been put at 3 minutes so there are ways around it. I actually like that a DB character has a different ability like that.

To answer your question, I would like Toriyama and Toei to stick to the small things and just improve on the movies all round .
The heart may be weak. And sometimes it may even give in. But I've learned... that deep down there's a light that never goes out! -Sora

User avatar
TripleRach
Moderator
Posts: 2656
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:08 pm
Location: Ohio, USA
Contact:

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Postby TripleRach » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:11 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:I'm just imagining the internet uproar if we don't get a timeskip to 4 years after Buu and despite that Videl is pregnant during the confrontation with Beerus. Guess that would mean not only would Super be ignoring GT, but it would ignore end of Z as well, I'd be okay with that honestly.

They could always change the ritual to require one less Saiyan, so Pan wouldn't be necessary anyway.

Or there's Tarble, but there haven't been any hints of him appearing in Super so far.
-Rachel

User avatar
sintzu
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 12928
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Postby sintzu » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:18 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:Guess that would mean not only would Super be ignoring GT, but it would ignore end of Z as well, I'd be okay with that honestly.


Me too cause Toriyama will be free to do what he wants moving foreword and give the story a better ending.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
Chuquita
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14843
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Postby Chuquita » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:29 pm

I'm also ok with them retconning EoZ if it makes it easier to write Super. There's nothing I'd overwhelmingly miss if they do it.
My deviantart : Dragon Ball doodles and comics
My tumblr : Assorted goods and stuff
---
Piccolo: Listen...in the instant he moves to attack...he's open... We'll use that instant...
Vegeta: Good plan. I hope it works.
Piccolo: ...
Vegeta: Don't look at me. You'll miss your instant.
Piccolo: So confident...I hope to see your face when Son Gokû arrives...
Vegeta: Oh? And who's that? Your secret weapon?

User avatar
GokuRules987
Banned
Posts: 483
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:21 pm

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Postby GokuRules987 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:10 pm

But the whole saiyan ritual already sucks bad enough, just being able to hold hands like some power rangers makes the whole godly form too easy to obtain, How could mortals just create a godly ki? I dont understand that! Ahh well who am i fooling, I'll just treat this as an asspull and especially if they're planning to make even as a less challenge for Goku in which I wouldn't be surprised due to how rusty Toriyama's writing has become.
My Intelligence level is over 9000!!!


Return to “Dragon Ball Super”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bergamo, GhoulEto and 24 guests