"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Olympian
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Olympian » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:29 pm

Araki wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:Yamcha deserves better, his manga is still doing good with the backlog sales, but sad that Toriyama sees him as a joke. the japanese fans clearly like him and wouldve been more interesting seeing him fight than the Androids(who already overstayed their welcome imo)..
You can't really use the 'Yamcha' Manga as something that suggests Yamcha is popular (Though I wouldn't be surprised if Yamcha was); it's a story that is only about Yamcha in name.
Let alone the fact it's a comedy entirely built upon the "Yamcha is a joke" concept.
And extrapolates the same concept by showing that Yamcha - the body can unlock potentials and other sort of Zenkai. I don`t think it shits on the character altho I would prefer it to be the himself lke everybody else.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:51 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
I could see that. I do hope something about the next arc gets announced at Jump Festa.
They'll likely announce the next arc between arcs like the last two times.
More likely. As far as I can tell Super doesn't even have a labeled booth.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:55 pm

Kanassa wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:Yamcha deserves better, his manga is still doing good with the backlog sales, but sad that Toriyama sees him as a joke. the japanese fans clearly like him and wouldve been more interesting seeing him fight than the Androids(who already overstayed their welcome imo)..
You can't really use the 'Yamcha' Manga as something that suggests Yamcha is popular (Though I wouldn't be surprised if Yamcha was); it's a story that is only about Yamcha in name.
Well...you can. It`s a story about his whole legacy, the good and bad and particularly the connection with the fanbase. People got hold on it before they knew how the story would unfold and the good sales number followed. At the very least it gives credence that Yamcha is indeed popular narrative and that there`s clearly fanbase that wants to see the underdog get his award and respect.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:05 pm

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

What are the chances of this card being UI Vegeta?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:16 pm

Chuquita wrote:
I don't think that has anything to do with anything, wasn't the Universe Survival Arc stuff last year just on the Heroes stage show?
TheSaiyanGod wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Probably pretty low.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:17 pm

Olympian wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
Well...you can. It`s a story about his whole legacy, the good and bad and particularly the connection with the fanbase.
Not really, it's about how a random school boy using Yamcha's body does better than Yamcha.
People got hold on it before they knew how the story would unfold and the good sales number followed. At the very least it gives credence that Yamcha is indeed popular narrative and that there`s clearly fanbase that wants to see the underdog get his award and respect.
But how do we know it wasn't bought because it's a Dragon Ball product? And again, if the fanbase wanted Yamcha to get respect, this wouldn't be the story to get it.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:25 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:

Probably pretty low.
Well, if Vegeta does not get UI, he can use some variation of Blue to overtake Goku SSB KK x20 and be able to do something against Jiren

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:32 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
I don't think that has anything to do with anything, wasn't the Universe Survival Arc stuff last year just on the Heroes stage show?
I don't remember. It sounds familiar. I mostly recall the manga video ad with some stuff that ended up not happening. (Those unused outfits.)

I am really anxious to find out what the next arc finally is, but by the same turn I realize the monkey's paw of it too.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:32 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Not really, it's about how a random school boy using Yamcha's body does better than Yamcha
It`s how a fandom nerd knows what is going to happen and does his best to avoid Yamcha`s bad luck (aka Toryama plotting) by pushing himself further ahead. The ability to unlock zenkais is all Yamcha. It`s his body, his power. The nerd kid only brings foresight and outside knowledge in the game. This is basically an RPG game set in Dragon Ball.

It takes Gods of Destruction to overplot Toryama :)
Kanassa wrote: But how do we know it wasn't bought because it's a Dragon Ball product? And again, if the fanbase wanted Yamcha to get respect, this wouldn't be the story to get it
Good question. Being part of the franchise certainly helps but that`s his name in the title, that`s the draw. There`s no mistaking who is the center stage. Perhaps it would work well to compare his numbers with other side products like Dragonball: Sai or the Raditz origin written by Toryama (I think?)

I mean, for all the shitting on the character the Reincarnated Case of Yamcha is the first official product that gets out of Dragon Ball`s Office in Jump.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:32 pm

So,apparently the universe level information ad was a fake.
https://twitter.com/KenXyro/status/9409 ... 70592?s=17
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:40 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:

Probably pretty low.
Well, if Vegeta does not get UI, he can use some variation of Blue to overtake Goku SSB KK x20 and be able to do something against Jiren
Just being above SSBKKx20 alone won't mean much though. A heavily suppressed Jiren blinked away a Genki Dama which SSJ Kefla was compared to. For Vegeta to do much of anything, he needs to have something that's far and away above SSBKKx20, not just overtake it. Even then, it's unfortunate that the possibility of that not happening isn't zero.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:54 pm

What if the the new character in hero cards isZalamma.I mean there is a big of zalamma being omni kaioshin,if we consider Zeno the omni hakaishin and El grande el padre the omni angel.He might get angry on unnecessary destruction.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:57 pm

Jigurashi wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
Probably pretty low.
Just being above SSBKKx20 alone won't mean much though. A heavily suppressed Jiren blinked away a Genki Dama which SSJ Kefla was compared to. For Vegeta to do much of anything, he needs to have something that's far and away above SSBKKx20, not just overtake it. Even then, it's unfortunate that the possibility of that not happening isn't zero.
So maybe Vegeta really outdoes VERY Goku SSB KK x20 (I'll disregard this comparison between Kefla SSJ and Genki Dama, after all Kefla did not beat even a tired Goku SSB). But why the '' unfortunately ''? Is that a bad thing?

Maybe he developed some technique to stop Jiren as well.
We know that SSB is nothing to Jiren. It would make no sense to dedicate a single EP to the fight between him and Vegeta, with two of the best animators in the series, only for Jiren to easily defeat him.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:59 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:
Jigurashi wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote:
So maybe Vegeta really outdoes VERY Goku SSB KK x20 (I'll disregard this comparison between Kefla SSJ and Genki Dama, after all Kefla did not beat even a tired Goku SSB). But why the '' unfortunately ''? Is that a bad thing?

We know that SSB is nothing to Jiren. It would make no sense to dedicate a single EP to the fight between him and Vegeta, with two of the best animators in the series, only for Jiren to easily defeat him.
Other things could be going on, not just Vegeta vs. Jiren.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:02 am

HeroR wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote:
Jigurashi wrote: Just being above SSBKKx20 alone won't mean much though. A heavily suppressed Jiren blinked away a Genki Dama which SSJ Kefla was compared to. For Vegeta to do much of anything, he needs to have something that's far and away above SSBKKx20, not just overtake it. Even then, it's unfortunate that the possibility of that not happening isn't zero.

Other things could be going on, not just Vegeta vs. Jiren.
The name of the episode is '' Staking his pride! Vegeta challenge the strongest 'or something. So we know that this will be the focus, it would not make sense to call two of the best animators in the series if it were not something really important.

If you are going to quote EP 112 as an example, I already told you about it

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:09 am

TheSaiyanGod wrote:
The name of the episode is '' Staking his pride! Vegeta challenge the strongest 'or something. So we know that this will be the focus, it would not make sense to call two of the best animators in the series if it were not something really important.

Sorry, 112 is still a valid example. And being important doesn't mean it will all be about Vegeta vs. Jiren.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:06 am

HeroR wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote:

Sorry, 112 is still a valid example. And being important doesn't mean it will all be about Vegeta vs. Jiren.
So I'll repeat what I already said.
The point of EP 112 was the promise that Vegeta made with Kyabe and the determination he had to fulfill it. The title did not imply that he would fight or anything.

In EP 122, it is said that he challenges the strongest, so we know that he will apparently fight Jiren and this will get highlighted

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:15 am

TheSaiyanGod wrote:

The point of EP 112 was the promise that Vegeta made with Kyabe and the determination he had to fulfill it. The title did not imply that he would fight or anything.

In EP 122, it is said that he challenges the strongest, so we know that he will apparently fight Jiren and this will get highlighted
And the only 'promise' we got for 122 is Vegeta challenging the strongest. Not fighting them for an entire episode or it will even be the highlight since Vegeta's vow wasn't even a third of Episode 112.
Kanassa wrote:

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:48 am

HeroR wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote:

And the only 'promise' we got for 122 is Vegeta challenging the strongest. Not fighting them for an entire episode or it will even be the highlight since Vegeta's vow wasn't even a third of Episode 112.
I think its pretty clear that 122 is going to be about Vegeta fighting either Jiren or universe 11. The title is literally called Vegeta vs the Strongest, and considering how these verus' titles usually involve that fight being the main highlight, I would be extremely surpised if it wasn't what was most focused on in those episodes. This isn't comics afterall, the show doesn't promise us a confrontation in their title, and then not deliver it.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:43 am

MR.Mark wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Michsi wrote: Considering that their very lives are at stake, I think this is a situation dire enough for him to forsake his sense of fair play. Especially if Gohan asks him to.
Even Goku isn't that bull-headed. He hated getting the power of a god with someone else's help, but he sill did it.
Kid Buu fight, Buu blew up the planet killing Goku's sons and his friend Piccolo, and Buu was also an universal threat. So.....

He got the power of the god because he really wanted to fight Beerus. Not necessarily save the world or even his own life.
He also made it obvious that he hated getting power he didn't earn on his own, but he did it anyway.

Gee, why you think Goku did that? That's right, because he dosein't want everyone dead and the earth gone, like any decent person.
Goku also considered fusing with Vegeta again, but decided against it because it wouldn't be enough, not that it would be unfair.

Does it infuriate some fans every time the song HERO plays in that movie? I don't recall reading about Toriyama complaining how out of place that song was.

Also you implying Goku didn't even care about his own life when fighting Beerus, sweet Dende is Goku suicidal now?

Truly as the author intended, Shinji Ikari got nothing on Son Goku.
I feel like people tend to blow his reckless and selfish side way out of proportion, as if he literally only cares about one thing alone, everything and everyone else be damned. He can be an absolute dunce, but I still think he'd choose the lives of his friends and family over a so called fair fight.
We see him regret his decision several times in the manga, he is not incapable of reasoning.