"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:46 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I'll take that bet. Dragon Ball's never brought me to tears before (though that dbs episode where Goku temporarily lost his powers and couldn't help fly to find baby Pan came close) but I'm curious as to if this can.
Really? Not even when Goku reunited with his grandpa? When Krillin died for the first time? When Bardock despite all his effort was destroyed alongside his home planet by Freeza? When Goku became a SSJ on Namek? When Future Trunks saw Future Gohan dead corpse? When Gohan finally unleashed his full power and turned into SSJ2? When Goku reunited with the gang and Goten see his father for the first time? Vegeta last words before his sacrifice in attempt to destroy Boo? Vegeta finally admiting that Goku is the #1? Pan making Goku return his consciousness as a Golden Oozaru? Goku saying goodbye to everyone and Vegeta words to Pan? The final sequence with all that flashbacks, the narrator saying a few words about Goku and "that's how the story of Dragon Ball comes to an end"?

Man, I don't know if I'm a cry baby or you just too hard lol

It's not that I can't get emotionally invested in shows or movies I'm watching, I definitely can, but being moved to the point of tears is a really high bar for me. Not to say I haven't; there's been stuff I've watched before that's made me cry, but it's so rare; it might just be me. ^^;
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:16 pm

Chuquita wrote:It's not that I can't get emotionally invested in shows or movies I'm watching, I definitely can, but being moved to the point of tears is a really high bar for me. Not to say I haven't; there's been stuff I've watched before that's made me cry, but it's so rare; it might just be me. ^^;
That's all right, it probably has do with how affectionate we are with the series or our view about it.
Vegeta_Sama wrote:I litterally teared up at ALL of the scenes you mentioned. It's actually making me almost tear up right now just thinking about it :lol:
It's pretty hard for me to not drop some tears watching these scenes, but the most difficult one is GT's end, it's impossible to hold myself lol
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Liquir » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:46 pm

Toyotaro's message was for another series and not DBS?
https://twitter.com/Eli_bebe_DBZ/status ... 3368991744

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:56 pm

Liquir wrote:Toyotaro's message was for another series and not DBS?
Herms doesn’t make mistakes as far as i’m aware.

Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Liquir » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:03 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:
Herms didn't make a mistake. He just translated what it stated. But it was never stated towards what series in Toyotaro's message.
But the message itself was meant for another series, it seems.
https://twitter.com/Eli_bebe_DBZ/status ... 5214798848

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:50 pm

Liquir wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:
Herms didn't make a mistake. He just translated what it stated. But it was never stated towards what series in Toyotaro's message.
But the message itself was meant for another series, it seems.
https://twitter.com/Eli_bebe_DBZ/status ... 5214798848
After reading what happened, i fully understand now.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:54 pm

Ah well; so much for my curiosity on that will make you cry scene.

Still really anxious for the final episode though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:50 am

Chuquita wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I'll take that bet. Dragon Ball's never brought me to tears before (though that dbs episode where Goku temporarily lost his powers and couldn't help fly to find baby Pan came close) but I'm curious as to if this can.
Really? Not even when Goku reunited with his grandpa? When Krillin died for the first time? When Bardock despite all his effort was destroyed alongside his home planet by Freeza? When Goku became a SSJ on Namek? When Future Trunks saw Future Gohan dead corpse? When Gohan finally unleashed his full power and turned into SSJ2? When Goku reunited with the gang and Goten see his father for the first time? Vegeta last words before his sacrifice in attempt to destroy Boo? Vegeta finally admiting that Goku is the #1? Pan making Goku return his consciousness as a Golden Oozaru? Goku saying goodbye to everyone and Vegeta words to Pan? The final sequence with all that flashbacks, the narrator saying a few words about Goku and "that's how the story of Dragon Ball comes to an end"?

Man, I don't know if I'm a cry baby or you just too hard lol

It's not that I can't get emotionally invested in shows or movies I'm watching, I definitely can, but being moved to the point of tears is a really high bar for me. Not to say I haven't; there's been stuff I've watched before that's made me cry, but it's so rare; it might just be me. ^^;
I have never cried on a fictional story.

So,the last episode will have special video montage rather than the usual closing animation.
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/9769 ... 92929?s=20
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:08 am

More comments from the cast:https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/9770 ... 03457?s=20
A new kind of freeza?This is not only about fighting and declaring a victor,there are also a lot of things that will be born from it? :think:

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:39 am

So there will be nothing about the new movie, just the usual "hey, this Dragon Ball series has been canceled, but here's a montage".

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:40 am

Sani007 wrote:So there will be nothing about the new movie, just the usual "hey, this Dragon Ball series has been canceled, but here's a montage".
First of all,dbs was not cancelled.Kitaro,the anime that is taking super's timeslot,has aired every decade in same timeslot.Reportedly,it has been in pre production for a year.So,saying dbs was cancelled is a factually wrong.
Secondly,nothing indicates that there won't be anything about the movie.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:46 am

Hawk9211 wrote:More comments from the cast:https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/9770 ... 03457?s=20
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
A new kind of freeza?This is not only about fighting and declaring a victor,there are also a lot of things that will be born from it? :think:
Frieza actually helping someone is definitely a new kind of Frieza. :lol:

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:11 am

New kind of Freeza = Omni King Freeza

I wish :lol:

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:20 am

Hawk9211 wrote: First of all,dbs was not cancelled.Kitaro,the anime that is taking super's timeslot,has aired every decade in same timeslot.Reportedly,it has been in pre production for a year.So,saying dbs was cancelled is a factually wrong.
No matter what we call it.
If they wanted to, they would take another timeslot.

FrostByte
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FrostByte » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:59 am

Sani007 wrote:
Hawk9211 wrote: First of all,dbs was not cancelled.Kitaro,the anime that is taking super's timeslot,has aired every decade in same timeslot.Reportedly,it has been in pre production for a year.So,saying dbs was cancelled is a factually wrong.
I don't think Fuji TV has anymore timeslots.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:11 am

Sani007 wrote:
Ya know it doesn’t just work like that right?

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:33 am

Dbzk1999 wrote:
Sani007 wrote:
As I know, they didn't finish the series because they wanted to improve the animation.
Previously, these were the main explanations: "just a hiatus because of the movie", "they wanted to improve the animation", "a movie and a series would be too much for Toei at one time". These are just dreams. They dropped the TV series for another franchise.
If you don't want to call it 'cancel', I have no problem with it.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:42 am

Sani007 wrote:
Dbzk1999 wrote:
Sani007 wrote:
As I know, they didn't finish the series because they wanted to improve the animation.
Previously, these were the main explanations: "just a hiatus because of the movie", "they wanted to improve the animation", "a movie and a series would be too much for Toei at one time". These are just dreams. They dropped the TV series for another franchise.
DB made nearly twice as much as One Piece for Toei in Japan for the first 9 months of the fiscal year (April-December) and did a total of 11,003 million yen, that's more than the 9,288 million it make for them in the last full fiscal year. Dragon Ball is a monster.
https://twitter.com/ArchedThunder/statu ... 34496?s=20
Yeah,they dropped their most profitable ip,makes sense.

Sani007
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sani007 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:07 am

Hawk9211 wrote:
Sani007 wrote:
Dbzk1999 wrote:
DB made nearly twice as much as One Piece for Toei in Japan for the first 9 months of the fiscal year (April-December) and did a total of 11,003 million yen, that's more than the 9,288 million it make for them in the last full fiscal year. Dragon Ball is a monster.
I know that's all and that's exactly why crazy is what Toei did. "Just an anniversary Kitaro series", fine. So why doesn't the less successful One Piece go to hiatus, when everyone says that One Piece is horrible slow pace.
If they aren't drop it, please tell me where can I watch it from April.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:14 am

Hawk9211 wrote:
Sani007 wrote:
Dbzk1999 wrote:
https://twitter.com/ArchedThunder/statu ... 34496?s=20
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Ok, so this is not based on anything substantial like official numbers from Toei or something like that, but :
didn't we calculate that, given what we think the average cost of an episode is, over all yearly production costs for DBS would reach around a billion? 11 mil doesn't look that impressive if those are the costs. I hope I'm wrong, though.
Last edited by Michsi on Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.