"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by YamiGoku » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:53 pm

TheMikado wrote:
Neon Z wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: My maint point being it took them 1.5 years to actually do somethings and brand DBS properly. It was frustrating and if it's another brand we'll do this all again and the new brand may not even be successful that's the risk. They failed previously twice they now have had a successful rebrand just stick with it.
GT was GT, and Kai just showed that rebranding Reruns wasn't enough, they needed a new show. Next time they might rebrand quicker since Super already set a precedent that it can work.
It depends on measurements of "success".

From the producers we have two different measurements. Ratings and merchandising and you need both.

GT actually has a higher average ranking than Super and sells/has sold a ton of product.
Kai had very good ratings but did not sell much due to essentially being reruns of a decades old product.
I really do not see an issue with a new show with a new title and branding. If they felt the Super brand were strong enough to continue from a financial stance they would continue it. What executive is going to toss away money?
It's clear they and their board do not see a value in continuing Super as is and the product and branding has run its course in terms of the anime.

Sorry, but saying Super it's not a financial success is just foolish

on this same thread we saw all the info other members presented of how much money DB is doing thanks to super, and idk why on this day and age top 10 every week on tv is a bad raiting, saiying GT had better raitings is just illogical because GT didnt have the competition Super has and aired on a age when the internet wasnt like now when with 2 clicks you can watch the lastest episode of your favorite series an hour after it aired.

Super is ending for different reasons.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:19 pm

YamiGoku wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
Neon Z wrote:
GT was GT, and Kai just showed that rebranding Reruns wasn't enough, they needed a new show. Next time they might rebrand quicker since Super already set a precedent that it can work.

From the producers we have two different measurements. Ratings and merchandising and you need both.

GT actually has a higher average ranking than Super and sells/has sold a ton of product.
Kai had very good ratings but did not sell much due to essentially being reruns of a decades old product.
I really do not see an issue with a new show with a new title and branding. If they felt the Super brand were strong enough to continue from a financial stance they would continue it. What executive is going to toss away money?
It's clear they and their board do not see a value in continuing Super as is and the product and branding has run its course in terms of the anime.

on this same thread we saw all the info other members presented of how much money DB is doing thanks to super, and idk why on this day and age top 10 every week on tv is a bad raiting, saiying GT had better raitings is just illogical because GT didnt have the competition Super has and aired on a age when the internet wasnt like now when with 2 clicks you can watch the lastest episode of your favorite series an hour after it aired.

You are wrong on several counts:
No one stated Super was not a financial success, however the anime is a cost. The average rate for 24 episodes is about 500 million yen. Only Toei is able to determine whether the cost of keeping Super going is worthwhile or if they can make more profit via other means.

Further the GT comparison is on rankings, not ratings. This is significant because it is a measurement of those who are watching TV what shows do they pick. That’s how shows are able to be compared across different time periods. The rankings give context and take the changing landscape into account. For instance the same factors that affect Super also effect One Piece. Online streaming etc. Thus comparing Super against its peers is key.

Look we have people calling these same executives who put together these reports and review ratings repeatedly complete idiots while not even bothering to review the information they do put out. It baffles my mind that people will hold up these reports but in he same breath go on about how idiotic these people are,

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:45 pm

TheMikado wrote:
YamiGoku wrote:
TheMikado wrote:

No one stated Super was not a financial success, however the anime is a cost. The average rate for 24 episodes is about 500 million yen. Only Toei is able to determine whether the cost of keeping Super going is worthwhile or if they can make more profit via other means.

Further the GT comparison is on rankings, not ratings. This is significant because it is a measurement of those who are watching TV what shows do they pick. That’s how shows are able to be compared across different time periods. The rankings give context and take the changing landscape into account. For instance the same factors that affect Super also effect One Piece. Online streaming etc. Thus comparing Super against its peers is key.

Look we have people calling these same executives who put together these reports and review ratings repeatedly complete idiots while not even bothering to review the information they do put out. It baffles my mind that people will hold up these reports but in he same breath go on about how idiotic these people are,
Sorry, my bad, i thought you were implying it

But i think super is ending for other reasons

1* They want to make a movie and they dont want to give us 6+ months of bad animation

2* They need to air the new Kintaro anniversary anime which is important on Japan, and they dont have another proper time slot plus producing episodes for one piece, super and kintaro may be too much

3* They want to give DB a breather and come back with a better schuele, even though the quality of the animation has been a lot better, the schuele is still painful for the animators

4* All the above.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:38 pm

YamiGoku wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
YamiGoku wrote:

1* They want to make a movie and they dont want to give us 6+ months of bad animation

2* They need to air the new Kintaro anniversary anime which is important on Japan, and they dont have another proper time slot plus producing episodes for one piece, super and kintaro may be too much

3* They want to give DB a breather and come back with a better schuele, even though the quality of the animation has been a lot better, the schuele is still painful for the animators

4* All the above.
I gave my interpretation based on Toeis financial report from October. Specifically that their TV animation profit margin has declined by 36% and their movie revenues are now halved. They increased earnings in their tv animation by 96 yen but they lost 4x as much from lack of revenue from movie releases. In that sense it seems like it would make sense to remove the cost of an ongoing anime in favor of a more profitable movie.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:20 pm

Xeogran wrote:Nonetheless, GT had a good, memorable ending and the only closure to the franchise we ever got. Now let's see if Super can get a good one too.
Z was suppose to have an open ending, it matches Goku's character perfectly.

Not him ditching his family for 100 years, no one can tell me different, and we still don't even know why he did that.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:21 pm

TheMikado wrote:
YamiGoku wrote:
TheMikado wrote:

4* All the above.
I gave my interpretation based on Toeis financial report from October. Specifically that their TV animation profit margin has declined by 36% and their movie revenues are now halved. They increased earnings in their tv animation by 96 yen but they lost 4x as much from lack of revenue from movie releases. In that sense it seems like it would make sense to remove the cost of an ongoing anime in favor of a more profitable movie.
Wasn't this only in anime or in merchandising because thats when any piece of animation makes their dough.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:56 pm

Totamo wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
YamiGoku wrote:

4* All the above.
Wasn't this only in anime or in merchandising because thats when any piece of animation makes their dough.
Anime only that was the financial data in their tv animation department. Active ongoing tv shows are an expense and they cut into profitability.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:19 pm

Does anyone know when we can expect the next batch of episode titles/summaries?

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:19 pm

Totamo wrote:You never heard of franchise fatigue? Well, all evidence point to that. If you want an exact source telling you word for word why a Toei exclusive series was cancelled, you ain't ever getting that publicly. Same with Kai, but everyone tells me it was canceled for poor merchandise sales.
There was no fatigue as after GT's end the franchise kept strong with merchandising, until finally reach the heights with BoG, RoF and Super.

Also Kai 1.0 was put to rest the same way Super is going now: another TV series taking the place. Proving that it's not a matter of sales as Super was doing fine.
Totamo wrote:Z was suppose to have an open ending, it matches Goku's character perfectly. Not him ditching his family for 100 years, no one can tell me different, and we still don't even know why he did that.
Sure, that was the original ending and nothing is going to change that. But I also appreciate GT take in giving us an actual closure to the series, Goku didn't ditch his family he had a deal with Shenron that is mystery until nowadays.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Venus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Venus » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:28 pm

I expect random people to make rumors about a sequel like how it happened with GT-->AF once Super ends.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:35 pm

Venus wrote:I expect random people to make rumors about a sequel like how it happened with GT-->AF once Super ends.
Brace yourselves, Dragon Ball 'Ultra' rumors are coming! Can't wait to see the fan arts of Goku combining SSJ3 with the Ultra Instinct being pasted as a official thing, the new form he will use in the sequel.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:49 pm

Noah wrote:
Totamo wrote:You never heard of franchise fatigue? Well, all evidence point to that. If you want an exact source telling you word for word why a Toei exclusive series was cancelled, you ain't ever getting that publicly. Same with Kai, but everyone tells me it was canceled for poor merchandise sales.

There was no fatigue as after GT's end the franchise kept strong with merchandising
, until finally reach the heights with BoG, RoF and Super.

Also Kai 1.0 was put to rest the same way Super is going now: another TV series taking the place. Proving that it's not a matter of sales as Super was doing fine.
Totamo wrote:Z was suppose to have an open ending, it matches Goku's character perfectly. Not him ditching his family for 100 years, no one can tell me different, and we still don't even know why he did that.
Sure, that was the original ending and nothing is going to change that. But I also appreciate GT take in giving us an actual closure to the series, Goku didn't ditch his family he had a deal with Shenron that is mystery until nowadays.
No it really didn't. There was nothing new for Dragon ball for years, until the colored pages and the ps2 games and kai was put down because it didn't sell merchandise. This is common fandom logic.

And what deal? Tell me the deal? Because his family didn't know that deal. Otherwise, they would have known Goku wasn't coming back.

I would have loved that opening. had Goku not done one of the scummiest things I have ever seen him do and there was no given reason for why. At least when he left with Uub, he said why.

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:04 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:Does anyone know when we can expect the next batch of episode titles/summaries?
Next batch? Idk, but spoilers are right around the corner, expect that in the next couple of days.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:47 am

Kenneth La Torre wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:Does anyone know when we can expect the next batch of episode titles/summaries?
Next batch? Idk, but spoilers are right around the corner, expect that in the next couple of days.
Unless we get something special from an unusual source, the next batch of episode titles and summaries should come out around Feb 6th or 7th.

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:30 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Kenneth La Torre wrote:
Unless we get something special from an unusual source, the next batch of episode titles and summaries should come out around Feb 6th or 7th.
Yes, thats when the batch of spoilers usully come.

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:33 am

shadowmaria wrote:What if Jiren is eliminated next episode, and that's why Toppo transforms / gains God ki / becomes a God of Destruction / uses his actual power - because Vermoud gets desperate in Jiren's defeat?
You seriously think that Jiren of all people will be eliminated suddenly like this? In an episode where the preview, spoilers, and title didn't mention ANYTHING about him or indicate that a big fight will happen with him? Goku didn't even go Ultra Instinct and there isn't a single hint that suggests he will do it next episode. Just think about how rushed, stupid and nonsensical that will be. Zero chance of happening.

Maybe Toppo can outlast him, but not NEXT episode.

MrBlackFox
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MrBlackFox » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:43 am

OverHeaven wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:What if Jiren is eliminated next episode, and that's why Toppo transforms / gains God ki / becomes a God of Destruction / uses his actual power - because Vermoud gets desperate in Jiren's defeat?
You seriously think that Jiren of all people will be eliminated suddenly like this? In an episode where the preview, spoilers, and title didn't mention ANYTHING about him or indicate that a big fight will happen with him? Goku didn't even go Ultra Instinct and there isn't a single hint that suggests he will do it next episode. Just think about how rushed, stupid and nonsensical that will be. Zero chance of happening.

But admit it, aside from the surprise, seeing UI Goku full power facing a true god of destruction would be legendary

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:10 am

MrBlackFox wrote:
OverHeaven wrote:

But admit it, aside from the surprise, seeing UI Goku full power facing a true god of destruction would be legendary
I didn't deny anything other than the "next episode" part. It could happen but not next episode. Like suddenly with zero build-up, hyping or even the smallest hint about it happening- Not in the preview, spoilers, titles or any other place. That would be stupid, nonsensical and rushed as hell, not legendary.

Super Saiyan God
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Super Saiyan God » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:30 am

For me they WONT replaced dragon ball super as Ultimate. Cos we dont know even zalame yet. To getting new series, there must be done with great priest Zeno and Zalama saga 1st so then maybe they can make a new series.
but for EoZ for sure after tournament of power saga ends they will do that in dragon ball super 2 (which means sequel of tournament of power). So then Uub will show himself as differently regular EoZ because remember battle of gods films and dragon ball super saga there was a difference so like this that would be different i think

OverHeaven
Beyond Newbie

Post by OverHeaven » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:13 am

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]Anyone know what is the source of this image? Also, what is written in it, if it's official.
This is the second time after the new ending where they put Vegeta alongside UI Goku. Of course it does not mean he is as strong as UI or anything, but there is a good chance he'll join UI Goku against Jiren in the final battle.