"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:29 am

shadowmaria wrote:
sintzu wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:I honestly doubt that Sunday morning will possibly top this;
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Say what you will about GT, I don't think it's epilogue and ending could possibly be topped
Super isn't "ending" so there's no reason to give it that kind of ending.
:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
Super is ending. There is no more Dragon Ball Super after this weekend.

There is a movie that is franchise-tied to Super's branding, but that's it. The series is done whether we like it or not, as reported in multiple magazines and articles across the internet, including on Kanzenshuu

Magazine confirming 131 is the final episode

Korean site indicating 131 is the end

Additional interview

Like, all due respect sintzu, but these are the facts
Every report about it ending, including what Toriyama said make sure to say it's ending for now.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:15 am

sintzu wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:
sintzu wrote:

There is a movie that is franchise-tied to Super's branding, but that's it. The series is done whether we like it or not, as reported in multiple magazines and articles across the internet, including on Kanzenshuu

Additional interview

Every report about it ending, including what Toriyama said make sure to say it's ending for now.
Ending for now is still ending. We won’t have Super for a while now. So yes, it is ending, but it’s to be continued later.

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:17 am

i saw this in the interview Nakamura: As we decided on the scenario’s course of events and reported to Toriyama-sensei, he came back with Ultra Instinct as a power-up for Goku. Toriyama-sensei thought it up as a completely different power-up from Super Saiyan.... does that means goku UI is basically ability? not a form?

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:13 am

vashter wrote:i saw this in the interview Nakamura: As we decided on the scenario’s course of events and reported to Toriyama-sensei, he came back with Ultra Instinct as a power-up for Goku. Toriyama-sensei thought it up as a completely different power-up from Super Saiyan.... does that means goku UI is basically ability? not a form?
No, and yes. It's still a form (as much as I would've preferred it not to be), but it also works differently in terms of functionality compared to any Super Saiyan form; it's not just an increase in power, but a fundamental change in ability.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:35 am

sintzu wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:
sintzu wrote:

Additional interview

It's more like the ending of the original Dragon Ball anime and the transition to the Z anime. Super the TV series is done (131 is even indicated as 'final episode' in the previews) but the story will carry on with the movie and whatever might come after. When Dragon Ball returns to tv, it'll probably have a new title and start again from episode one.

I figure this ending will be more like Goku and Chi Chi flying off on Nimbus after Piccolo was defeated. It concludes this story but leaves you with some kind of big hook for further adventures.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:42 am

Well Toriyama either got wind of the criticism that was being directed towards the series' oversaturation of transformations or he just decided to do something a bit different on his own. I'm inclined to side with the latter explanation because I don't hear too often about Toriyama's recognition of criticism (I could easily be wrong here). Now if only he had the good sense to allow some other characters to reap some of the benefits of Ultra Instinct -- someone who isn't Vegeta, that is.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:57 am

A bit offtopic but congrats to Hikaru Midorikawa(Tien) for being cast to voice Garou in OPM, the man should be happy he will voice someone relevant and have proper script that doesnt insult the intelligence of the fan.

We should get episode 130 ratings tonight.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:02 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:When Dragon Ball returns to tv, it'll probably have a new title and start again from episode one.
If it goes beyond EOZ then it most likely will but if for god knows why decides to saty in those 10 years before then it'll just continue like Kai did.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:05 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
sintzu wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:

Additional interview

It's more like the ending of the original Dragon Ball anime and the transition to the Z anime. Super the TV series is done (131 is even indicated as 'final episode' in the previews) but the story will carry on with the movie and whatever might come after. When Dragon Ball returns to tv, it'll probably have a new title and start again from episode one.

I figure this ending will be more like Goku and Chi Chi flying off on Nimbus after Piccolo was defeated. It concludes this story but leaves you with some kind of big hook for further adventures.
I see ZERO point in that. Why would they opt to go for a name change? What’s wrong with “Super”? It sounds perfect imo!

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:10 am

perucho1990 wrote:A bit offtopic but congrats to Hikaru Midorikawa(Tien) for being cast to voice Garou in OPM.
Is OPM Season 2 coming?
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:15 am

jeffbr92 wrote:
Is OPM Season 2 coming?
The anime twitter account mentioned they will probably release the first S2 trailer in August. so that should mean S2 set for 2019 imo, for anime fans is good. Both OPM and DB anime return next year :D

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:17 am

perucho1990 wrote:Both OPM and DB anime return next year :D
I have my doubts. I think the next year we might get a break from new DB content.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:21 am

DB is making too much money and even Toriyama mentioned the anime will "stop for the time being". For the best, if the anime ever returns it should be by around Fall 2019, with proper pre-production and planning.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:38 am

perucho1990 wrote:DB is making too much money and even Toriyama mentioned the anime will "stop for the time being". For the best, if the anime ever returns it should be by around Fall 2019, with proper pre-production and planning.
On that front, I think we can all agree that would be for the best if the series does return.

What the series has lacked most of all is time management.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:17 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: I see ZERO point in that. Why would they opt to go for a name change? What’s wrong with “Super”? It sounds perfect imo!
If Yamamuro doesn't come back at all and they go with new character designs like the movie seems to be, it gives the series a chance for a fresh new start with a new look and identity.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:47 pm

perucho1990 wrote:If the anime ever returns it should be by around Fall 2019, with proper pre-production and planning.
Both Kai runs started in April while Super did in July, 4 months after RF was released. The next movie will release in mid December so if we go by Kai's air date and how long it took Super to air after RF, April is a likely date as they'll probably want to keep the hype train going.
PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:I think we can all agree that would be for the best if the series does return.
Of ocurse it's best as waiting for movies will be too long. I think the last 5 arcs (BOG-TOP) mark the half way point of Toriyama's modern DB stories so the next movies alongside whatever series comes after should be the next half. Hopefully I'm wrong and he has a lot more in store for us but I feel like the next tournament he builds up to will be the last arc as that'll most likely end with Goku being the strongest being in the entire multiverse.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:33 pm

Lionel wrote:Well Toriyama either got wind of the criticism that was being directed towards the series' oversaturation of transformations or he just decided to do something a bit different on his own. I'm inclined to side with the latter explanation because I don't hear too often about Toriyama's recognition of criticism (I could easily be wrong here). Now if only he had the good sense to allow some other characters to reap some of the benefits of Ultra Instinct -- someone who isn't Vegeta, that is.
As far as I want you to be right, Toriyama seemed to have an annoying knack for giving Goku power-ups that while could be available to everyone, no one aside from him used them (i.e. Kaio-ken). I fear that UI will be the same thing.

I'd REALLY like him to give UI to other characters too - UI would be an amazing way to make the humans more relevant. But I guess that's not the goal. Humans are going to be to Saiyans what Spider-Man is to the Hulk. For ever and ever, it seems.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:36 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:
Lionel wrote:Well Toriyama either got wind of the criticism that was being directed towards the series' oversaturation of transformations or he just decided to do something a bit different on his own. I'm inclined to side with the latter explanation because I don't hear too often about Toriyama's recognition of criticism (I could easily be wrong here). Now if only he had the good sense to allow some other characters to reap some of the benefits of Ultra Instinct -- someone who isn't Vegeta, that is.
As far as I want you to be right, Toriyama seemed to have an annoying knack for giving Goku power-ups that while could be available to everyone, no one aside from him used them (i.e. Kaio-ken). I fear that UI will be the same thing.
Vegeta will get UI as it was brought up multiple times by him and Whis throughout the tournament.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:50 pm

Dragon Ball Super movie trailer was released: https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/976153148325801984
Feels over Reals.

Birusu16
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Birusu16 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:08 pm

That has to be Yamoshi. Can't see it being anybody else.