"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

emperior
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by emperior » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:42 am

Bullza wrote:To say that Dragon Ball Super only ended a few months ago and we have these games still going and a movie on the way, this really surprises me.

https://trends.google.co.uk/trends/expl ... gon%20Ball

Activity has plummeted. It's at its lowest now since 2006.
Am I looking at a Bitcoin graphic or what? :lol:
The decline has been huge! That’s strange though, I thought the Broly trailer would have spiked things up but now we’re really at a lowest, I wonder how is it possible? FighterZ has even surpassed Fortnite on Twitch with EVO.
The mobile game Legends too is gaining attention, although not getting a new console game is a little disappointing.

I think the fans are just waiting for the new movie and have lost interest in the meanwhile.
But that’s not a very good sign though, it’s obvious how Dragon Ball is at its top game with a long running show, in fact it wasn’t before Super that the franchise really “exploded” and surpassed OP and Gundam in terms of revenue.
I really think they will bring Super back on TV in 2019. This is a hiatus and Toriyama’s words also sort of confirm this. Although they decided things well in advance this time, as the change in look was planned more than a year ago, and I’m quite sure they decided to end the show to take their time and fix it so it can stay on the air for a long time in a healthy condition. Of course they also decided to produce the movie to keep things more alive while they work out things behind the scenes.
I cross my fingers that my analysis is correct!
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:03 pm

Bullza wrote:To say that Dragon Ball Super only ended a few months ago and we have these games still going and a movie on the way, this really surprises me.

https://trends.google.co.uk/trends/expl ... gon%20Ball

Activity has plummeted. It's at its lowest now since 2006.
This link doesn't work also is supposed to be worldwide or just for UK?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:45 pm

Noah wrote:This link doesn't work also is supposed to be worldwide or just for UK?
Works for me, try this one

https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... gon%20Ball

It's also Worldwide.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:42 am

Bullza wrote:
Noah wrote:This link doesn't work also is supposed to be worldwide or just for UK?
Works for me, try this one

https://trends.google.com/trends/explor ... gon%20Ball

It's also Worldwide.
Wow, it really does go down by a lot. Toei better not wait too long before getting it on air again.

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:35 am

Didn't dragon ball make a huge profit (toei showed results of fiscal year)

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:42 am

Google Trends tries to measure the intensity of interest in a given time(trend), not overall popularity. Of course "dragon ball" is not trending as heavily as it did during the climax of the ToP or during the anime's run. Look how Game of Thrones drops to nothing when it's off-season.

Also, it's just one term. People who want to look at Fighterz stuff aren't going to be typing "dragon ball"; they'll be typing "dbfz", "goku sparking loops", or "sonicfox". Nor does it capture people interested in the movie who just type "broly".

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:10 am

Simere wrote:Google Trends tries to measure the intensity of interest in a given time(trend), not overall popularity. Of course "dragon ball" is not trending as heavily as it did during the climax of the ToP or during the anime's run. Look how Game of Thrones drops to nothing when it's off-season.

Also, it's just one term. People who want to look at Fighterz stuff aren't going to be typing "dragon ball"; they'll be typing "dbfz", "goku sparking loops", or "sonicfox". Nor does it capture people interested in the movie who just type "broly".
You are somewhat right.
Although it’s undeniable that Dragon Ball does better when it’s airing weekly, and keeping interest high is always a good thing.

The proof is there with Battle of Gods and Resurrection F. They did well, but they didn’t revitalize the franchise as much as Super did.

I doubt FighterZ stuff would impact this graphic much, those things you mentioned are very niche. I know you used it as an example, but the same could have been said before back in November, where some people were probably typing “dbs” “ultra instinct” “db super” “Jiren” “Goku vs Jiren” etcetera. So this graphics are not to be underestimated in my opinion.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:26 am

emperior wrote:I doubt FighterZ stuff would impact this graphic much, those things you mentioned are very niche. I know you used it as an example, but the same could have been said before back in November, where some people were probably typing “dbs” “ultra instinct” “db super” “Jiren” “Goku vs Jiren” etcetera. So this graphics are not to be underestimated in my opinion.
Underestimate what, though? That a mass audience isn't as interested in searching for DB right now as before? Sure. But if one were to try to extrapolate from that conclusions like DB's strength as a brand is waning, or that Toei needs to hurry up and capitalize before people lose interest...underestimate away. That Game of Thrones chart I linked makes that clear.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:57 am

Simere wrote:Also, it's just one term. People who want to look at Fighterz stuff aren't going to be typing "dragon ball"; they'll be typing "dbfz", "goku sparking loops", or "sonicfox". Nor does it capture people interested in the movie who just type "broly".
Well that has always applied anyway. Going back to people who would just search Budokai Tenkaichi, Burst Limit, Raging Blast or for the anime they'd put in DBZ, DBGT, Dragon Ball Z and so on. So it would all even out.

It's odd to me that it could remain so consistent and high for years after DBZ went off air, when all you really had were the games and then following a successful 3 year series in DBS it has now just dropped like a rock.

It's gone from being at its highest ever to almost immediately after ward the lowest in over a decade.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:27 pm

Simere is right, these data don't prove much. It's not like Toei is losing for not displaying anything else related to DB. Also I searched for "Broly" and it had a great peak in July and now it's average on this month.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:24 pm

Bullza wrote:
Simere wrote:Also, it's just one term. People who want to look at Fighterz stuff aren't going to be typing "dragon ball"; they'll be typing "dbfz", "goku sparking loops", or "sonicfox". Nor does it capture people interested in the movie who just type "broly".
Well that has always applied anyway. Going back to people who would just search Budokai Tenkaichi, Burst Limit, Raging Blast or for the anime they'd put in DBZ, DBGT, Dragon Ball Z and so on. So it would all even out.
The point is "dragon ball" does not sufficiently gauge the popularity of Dragon Ball; at any of those dates and times in the past it would also be wrong to try to measure DB's scope with just "dragon ball". Trends don't necessarily correlate to popularity, and if you were going to try to suss out popularity from trend data you should use more than one term. "Goku", for example, is still as high as it's been since this DB revitalization began.
It's odd to me that it could remain so consistent and high for years after DBZ went off air, when all you really had were the games and then following a successful 3 year series in DBS it has now just dropped like a rock.

It's gone from being at its highest ever to almost immediately after ward the lowest in over a decade.
Well, first of all, it's not at its lowest in over a decade; it's pulling similar numbers now as it did in 2014. Second, again, look at the "game of thrones" trend line:

It plummets after every season, then peaks again when it comes back. It's not that people don't care when they aren't searching, it's just that there's nothing at that time driving new interest.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:48 pm

Simere wrote: Well, first of all, it's not at its lowest in over a decade; it's pulling similar numbers now as it did in 2014. Second, again, look at the "game of thrones" trend line:

It plummets after every season, then peaks again when it comes back. It's not that people don't care when they aren't searching, it's just that there's nothing at that time driving new interest.
In June it had a 38. That was only a few months after Dragon Ball Super ended and the last time it was that low was 12 years ago this month.

Of course it would go down after it's finished but it's not like Game of Thrones.

Dragon Ball Z finished in 2003 in just America but it was still getting more Google interest many years after than Dragon Ball Super is getting now just a few months after it ended.

Considering the anime is recent and is actually still airing in America, there's Kai that's still airing, the manga is still going, there's a movie coming out and there's the games that are still getting DLC it should be lower than it was back in say 2008.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:35 pm

Keeping interest high is more profitable, as interest draws sales. I repeat, the last two movies are solid proof that Dragon Ball can obviously do well just with movies, but the TV show was the real deal that boosted DB to surpass both OP and Gundam, and it managed to even do better than the two combined in the last fiscal year!

If I were a stakeholder for Bandai Namco, I would want Toei to treat DB like it does with OP, and I would expect to have a long running anime and a movie every 1-2 years, possibly supervised by Toriyama, and also some TV specials like OP has.
As a fan, I just want them to focus all their efforts into a long running anime to make it as good as possible, but I wouldn’t mind some movies or TV specials as long as the quality of the show isn’t impacted too much.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:32 pm

Bullza wrote:In June it had a 38. That was only a few months after Dragon Ball Super ended and the last time it was that low was 12 years ago this month.
38 is not a significant difference from the numerous low 40s that occur after that. And it was one month. In July it had a 48, which was higher than all of 2014. What do either of these numbers mean to you?
Of course it would go down after it's finished but it's not like Game of Thrones.
Why not?
Dragon Ball Z finished in 2003 in just America but it was still getting more Google interest many years after than Dragon Ball Super is getting now just a few months after it ended.

Considering the anime is recent and is actually still airing in America, there's Kai that's still airing, the manga is still going, there's a movie coming out and there's the games that are still getting DLC it should be lower than it was back in say 2008.
Well, filter to just America, and when you do you'll see in just America it wasn't getting that high a proportion of searches back then. The numbers are higher now. The worldwide numbers for "dragon ball" are driven by Latin American countries, and a few of them even peaked circa 2008.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:37 pm

Simere wrote:38 is not a significant difference from the numerous low 40s that occur after that. And it was one month. In July it had a 48, which was higher than all of 2014. What do either of these numbers mean to you?
It went up in July because of the trailer for the Broly movie. Now for August it's back down to 40. Which is again the lowest since 2006.
Why not?
It's a seasonal show and you can see the same pattern for The Walking Dead or Orange is the New Black.

Dragon Ball is a multi media franchise though and there's always something coming out so the pattern wouldn't be the same. It'll obviously go up and down when a series starts and ends but inbetween it's shown to not have dropped off.
The numbers are higher now. The worldwide numbers for "dragon ball" are driven by Latin American countries, and a few of them even peaked circa 2008.
I have no idea what countries got the show and when it peaked but even then for it to have currently dropped so steeply and so quickly is surprising. There's enough that's come out, is currently airing and is on the way that it shouldn't be as low of not lower than it was four years ago when there wasn't nearly as much and before the resurgence.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:29 pm

Pannaliciour wrote:Didn't dragon ball make a huge profit (toei showed results of fiscal year)
It still is. Last months UI Goku Grandista figure sold at minimum 500 cases (each case sold at 22,400 yen) it might be the most for any DB figure ever. Ironically enough DB wasn't selling as much as this while it was the air! In fact case orders for DB figures have been increasing ever since April.

The DBS logo is being thrown left right and centre in Japan & not too forget the NA tour that is going on. But the biggest testament to DB's current popularity is the fact the new movie merchandise is on par with what One Piece had for their movies (we're getting 15 figures and a gaint Shenron plush yet to know what Bandai have planned) as opposed to the feeble roll out BoG and "F" received.

DB is in a good place.

Shounen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shounen » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:23 am

https://anime.everyeye.it/articoli/inte ... 41906.html
https://twitter.com/Loop_Zen/status/1072122169356939267
"The movie (Dragon Ball Super Broly) takes place between the series we're currently dubbing and the next one which is now in production in Japan, that will be the continuation of the cinematographic work"

:think:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:28 am

Jump Festa is next week, soon we will know what is that meant to be.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:29 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Didn't dragon ball make a huge profit (toei showed results of fiscal year)
It still is. Last months UI Goku Grandista figure sold at minimum 500 cases (each case sold at 22,400 yen) it might be the most for any DB figure ever. Ironically enough DB wasn't selling as much as this while it was the air! In fact case orders for DB figures have been increasing ever since April.

The DBS logo is being thrown left right and centre in Japan & not too forget the NA tour that is going on. But the biggest testament to DB's current popularity is the fact the new movie merchandise is on par with what One Piece had for their movies (we're getting 15 figures and a gaint Shenron plush yet to know what Bandai have planned) as opposed to the feeble roll out BoG and "F" received.

DB is in a good place.
It’s cool to see something like this that shows the interest in DB instead of something like a google trend.
There’s no doubt in my mind Dragonball will do great when it returns, and at the box office with this movie. It’s better to let the numbers do the talking.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:56 am

Shounen wrote:https://anime.everyeye.it/articoli/inte ... 41906.html
https://twitter.com/Loop_Zen/status/1072122169356939267
"The movie (Dragon Ball Super Broly) takes place between the series we're currently dubbing and the next one which is now in production in Japan, that will be the continuation of the cinematographic work"

:think:
That was a misunderstanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t9sp-a-f8k