"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by BlueBasilisk » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:46 am

Michsi wrote:My only concern regarding with this whole "don't worry, DB isn't over " sentiment they're trying to reassure fans with, is that it's simply them being polite and nothing more. As far as I know, it's very rare to hear a clear and definite "no" in Japanese culture, and they generally try to let them down easy. It's like when Bleach anime ended and you kept hearing that they'd like to continue someday but it's been years and nothing. Granted DB is in a far better place than Bleach was when they pulled the plug, but still.
The manga, games and the movie are coming, so DB really isn't over when Super ends, it's just a question of whether or not that's what you want. :|

Guesswhoo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Guesswhoo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:57 am

I'm pretty sure that Super is ending because Akira Toriyama doesn't know what to do next (plus he has a DB lore-movie to write) and without outline, Toei is stuck (and Toyo too).

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:07 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Michsi wrote:My only concern regarding with this whole "don't worry, DB isn't over " sentiment they're trying to reassure fans with, is that it's simply them being polite and nothing more. As far as I know, it's very rare to hear a clear and definite "no" in Japanese culture, and they generally try to let them down easy. It's like when Bleach anime ended and you kept hearing that they'd like to continue someday but it's been years and nothing. Granted DB is in a far better place than Bleach was when they pulled the plug, but still.
The manga, games and the movie are coming, so DB really isn't over when Super ends, it's just a question of whether or not that's what you want. :|
I'd imagine they were aware it's the animated series format most are thinking about now , but yeah, the wording seems to be deliberately vague. It's not a promise but neither are they shooting down anyone's hope.

ernesth100
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ernesth100 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:21 am

Guesswhoo wrote:I'm pretty sure that Super is ending because Akira Toriyama doesn't know what to do next (plus he has a DB lore-movie to write) and without outline, Toei is stuck (and Toyo too).
Theres literally like a dozen ways they could go after the Tournament.

1. Goku and Vegeta training to further master their new forms and finally challenge Beerus and Whis.
2. Grand Priest Attacks Arc(Admit it, everyone is thinking it)
3. Explore Other Universes For Stronger Fighters
4. Vegeta and Goku Go Seperate Ways And We Can Have Alternating Episodes Of Their Adventures
5. Training Uub ToBe The Next Great Warrior
6. Focus On Gohan, Goten and Trunks Becoming Stronger And Having Their Own Adventures.
7. Frieza Betrayal Arc( perhaps he actually gets the wish and who knows what he'll wish for)
8. God's And Angels Backstory Arc, Perhaps It Turns Out There's Evil Gods? There's Already Demons So Whose To Say More Aren't Out There Quite Possibly Beyond Even Whis or Grand Priest Level.

There Is Zero Reason For This Series To End.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:24 am

ernesth100 wrote:There Is Zero Reason For This Series To End.
It's ending so they found some reason to justify it.

There is this from Herms :

"Fuji TV apparently said this won't be the end for DB on TV, but future plans don't seem set in stone"
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lujin_16
Regular

Post by Lujin_16 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:05 am

animators of super need a stop because of the next Dragonball movie and they don't want to do the same mistake like the beginning of Super so it will
make a comeback later with good animation lke the last arc maybe even improve a little bit

darzap
Beyond Newbie

Post by darzap » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:14 am

sintzu wrote:"Fuji TV apparently said this won't be the end for DB on TV, but future plans don't seem set in stone"
Why would they say anything else and deliberately limit their options or make fans angry that way. They will, at any point in time, make the move that appears most profitable, even if they expect that move to be a continuation of Dragon Ball Super in the near future, they gain nothing form setting that in stone now. We'll simply have to wait a couple of months to see, what happens. At the same time, a sufficiently wide interpretation of that statement is certainly true. People waited more than 16 years for Dragon Ball Super, after Dragon Ball GT ended and Dragon Ball Super is quite successful. Even if DBS doesn't continue next year, it would seem quite unlikely that there won't be any point in the next 20 year, at which some company that owns or can buy the rights to Dragon Ball considers it a smart move to continue the anime series.

Will
Beyond Newbie

Post by Will » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:53 am

The official twitter tweeted about the ending:
https://twitter.com/DB_super2015/status ... 4060643328

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:02 am

Will wrote:The official twitter tweeted about the ending:
KenXyro translated the message on twitter and it ends with "There's more to come for DB series so please look forward!" Guess that's good news.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:11 am

Michsi wrote:
KenXyro translated the message on twitter and it ends with "There's more to come for DB series so please look forward!" Guess that's good news.
Dragon Ball Super Go - aimed at 3 year olds
Dragon Ball Ultra - sequel series to Super
Dragon Ball Disney - let's face it, Disney will buy the franchise and that's why it's on hold so Disney can finalize the sale this year. After that a new series will be produced with Disney's name on it. :lol:

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:13 am

Well this is sad to hear but upside....

Ma boy Jiren gets to be the most powerful enemy in the series for a while.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:14 am

I think we should all remember that Super is not the determining factor in Dragon Ball's future. I keep seeing people bring up that many of Super's plotlines will remain unresolved, which is understandably kind of disappointing. Most of all though, it's like people are acting like they won't be able to survive without new Dragon Ball. Still, have these people forgotten that we went YEARS without new Dragon Ball before Super? Have we forgotten there was once a time not in the too distant past where Super wasn't even a thing? Where characters like Beerus, Whis, Hit, Jiren, Caulifla, Kale, Cabba, Goku Black, Zamasu, and so many other characters didn't exist? All we had was DB, DBZ, DBGT, and eventually DBK retelling Z.

My point is, I'm certain there will be more Dragon Ball. They've setup too much with Uub and too an extent, Pan - to not do anything with these characters. Honestly, I'm actually fascinated by the idea of Super being a thing of the past because it's not the series I personally wanted. I want an AFTER EoZ series, which is what Resurrection 'F' initially teased. Besides, we still have many things to enjoy about the franchise from: the ongoing dub, ongoing manga, new stream of video games that can adapt Super's and the new movie content, the new movie, other merchandise, etc. In regards to the dub, it'll be nice to see more sub fans give it a chance as dub fans have given the sub a chance. And for those who say the dub doesn't matter - Let's remember, Z ended in 1996 but in the states, not until 2003. Super is ending this year, but not the dub - just like back in the day so it's not like enjoyment can't stem from it. Overall, Super's absence might be a good thing to remind the community why we enjoy DB, regardless of whether any news series comes out of it.

We survived without Dragon Ball before Super came out and if we don't get a new series sometime in the future, we can certainly do it again.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:18 am

dbgtFO wrote: Dragon Ball Disney - let's face it, Disney will buy the franchise and that's why it's on hold so Disney can finalize the sale this year. After that a new series will be produced with Disney's name on it. :lol:

Not funny. I'm legitimately scared of that possibility :(

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:21 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Torturephile wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:Remember when some fans believed Daishinkan was going to turn evil?

It's not going to happen with 8 episodes left.
What I'm more interested in is Freeza. He surely won't get the wish unless they they leave the ending of Super in a cliffhanger, which isn't likely I believe.
Even if he did wish for something, there's peace by the End of Z so it wouldn't really amount to anything. Best he can hope for right now is not getting erased and being wished back to life for his eventual appearance in Neko Majin Z. :P
That describes the entirety of Super.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:25 am

Michsi wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Dragon Ball Disney - let's face it, Disney will buy the franchise and that's why it's on hold so Disney can finalize the sale this year. After that a new series will be produced with Disney's name on it. :lol:
You should be, the merch is already planned!

[spoiler]Image
not really[/spoiler]

On other news, here's both parts of the monthly series where Toyotaro draws characters who hasn't appeared in super manga yet

[spoiler]Image

"Lunch-san! Where are you now? DB is still going on, so come out quick!"[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image

The other androids inherited his love of nature...that's my guess, anyway[/spoiler]
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:42 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
Michsi wrote:
You should be, the merch is already planned!

[spoiler]Image
not really[/spoiler]

On other news, here's both parts of the monthly series where Toyotaro draws characters who hasn't appeared in super manga yet

[spoiler]Image

"Lunch-san! Where are you now? DB is still going on, so come out quick!"[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Image

The other androids inherited his love of nature...that's my guess, anyway[/spoiler]
Which of this serious and if it is,then please elaborate.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:48 am

Remember all the speculation a chocolate was the cause of? It's here now..

Red hair SS Goku anyone?!

Hawk9211 wrote: Which of this serious and if it is,then please elaborate.
There really isn't anything to elaborate, Disney one obviously isn't serious, I mentioned that below the image too..
As for the Toyo news, that's all the information and it's all legit..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:53 am

I question some of the decisions Toei has done, and hopefully they do a complete overhaul in the writing aspect more than the animation.

For example What the fuck was the point of making Kale a yandere and too close to Caulifla in the anime? Kale is much better in the manga by not acting jealous.

If a new DB series will come I hope they get some of Gintama writers and directors, they know how to handle comedy, and we know DB will always have a good bunch of gags.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:55 am

Michsi wrote:
If the new movie makes 70+ million(that'll be more than RF's 65 million) then the anime will be back and stronger than ever.

Also keep in mind that XV3 will most likely release in early-mid 2019 so that alongside a successful movie will ensure the anime's return.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:55 am

I find it weird they would go on a hiatus when the show and everything else connected to it are printing money like crazy. Maybe we'll finally reach the End of the manga and they want to restructure. But re-branding is so counter-productive. I'm really curious what's behind this.

Maybe the movie also plays a role? :think: :crazy: