"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Michsi » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:28 am

HeroR wrote:
Sani007 wrote:
Michsi wrote:People shouldn't really be surprised that Kitaro is going to last a year, I thought most already expected that if DB were to come back it would be sometime in 2019, at the earliest.
In my opinion, Toei doesn't even want to make TV series in the foreseeable future.
Now they are taking huge amounts of money without it. Every few years a movie is enough to keep the interest.
That really doesn't make much sense since Super brought in more money that when they were just doing movies every few years.
Again, it's a question of cost vs profit. Super is expensive to produce and it's also very time consuming.

Who knows, apparently Toei has moved into a new office building, and it Kitaro's animation quality from the trailer is anything to go by, they are really trying to improve their production process.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:39 am

Michsi wrote:
Again, it's a question of cost vs profit. Super is expensive to produce and it's also very time consuming.

Who knows, apparently Toei has moved into a new office building, and it Kitaro's animation quality from the trailer is anything to go by, they are really trying to improve their production process.
It's expensive to produced based on its lousy pre-production that has hunted Super since it went on air. Kitaro has been planned for over a year and has plenty of pre-production, while Super was rushed out the door off the heels of Resurrection 'F'.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:40 am

Lord Beerus wrote:I'm no rush to see another Dragon Ball TV anime, so this new doesn't really matter to me that much. Besides, if Super is going to return, I'd rather the show takes its time before hitting the TV airwaves.
And be a season anime instead of an on-going weekly one.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:50 am

IM21 wrote:
Sani007 wrote:Damn. As I thought, there won't be new DB TV series for a very long time.
1 year isn't really that long...
Just as I thought: 2019 will be a year break for DB content. We could still expect stuff coming in 2020 though.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Smilodon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smilodon » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:51 am

Who the hell is this guy?

It was posted in "Kami Sama Explorer" from Brazil. They normally don't post fake pictures...But I didn't found this anywhere...
Vados Sama!

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:59 am

Smilodon wrote:Who the hell is this guy?

It was posted in "Kami Sama Explorer" from Brazil. They normally don't post fake pictures...But I didn't found this anywhere...
He may be the villain exclusive to the mobile game.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:04 am

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
It could be Pope Ares? lol

by Doctor.

Smilodon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Smilodon » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:05 am

kn83 wrote:

Thay said he will appear in last episode.
Vados Sama!

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:05 am

HeroR wrote:
Michsi wrote:

It's expensive to produced based on its lousy pre-production that has hunted Super since it went on air. Kitaro has been planned for over a year and has plenty of pre-production, while Super was rushed out the door off the heels of Resurrection 'F'.
I feel like Toei might also wait and see what the overall reaction to the movie's visual style is before they push forward with a new series.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:05 am

sangofe wrote:I seriously hope that is false.
Sani007 wrote:Damn. As I thought, there won't be new DB TV series for a very long time.
I want Super back as quick as possible but even more so I want it to be ready so if that means waiting till July of 2019 instead of April then so be it. A lot of Super's potential was wasted thanks to its rushed production, something I don't want to happen again.

Super has shown that it can be really good despite the rushed production so if they plan its return the way I think they are then we'll be in for an amazing ride when it's back, one that's more than worth the wait.
BlueBasilisk wrote:I feel like Toei might also wait and see what the overall reaction to the movie's visual style is before they push forward with a new series.
This could have a lot to do with it as the more $$$ the movie makes, the higher the anime's budget can be. It will also be able to bring in more talented staff members.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:09 am

Why it was added "Series" on this thread title?

by Doctor.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:10 am

Smilodon wrote:
kn83 wrote:

Thay said he will appear in last episode.
He's from the Dragon Ball Legends animated trailer. You can see him around 0:27: https://youtu.be/QglXb8K_xkc?t=27s

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:10 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:Somewhat related, but according to ANN, Kitaro is going to run for 50+ episodes: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily- ... ot/.129334
Oof. Well, at least it's confirmed. I figured Super wouldn't be back until after the movie aired and I used to think it'd be February 2019, so maybe now we're talking April 2019 or July 2019.

At the absolute latest, April 2020.

Most likely July 2019.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:11 am

jeffbr92 wrote:Why it was added "Series" on this thread title?
It was to clear up where discussion about the movie goes since it was bleeding over into this thread.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:40 am

HeroR wrote:
Michsi wrote:

That would solve the scheduling issue and some of the extra cost, but that doesn't change the fact that a long running show is massively expensive.

There seems to be recurring theme of DB is off the air for now *hint hint* so I do think we'll see a series again in the near future. Or at least I hope.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:44 am

Michsi wrote:
That would solve the scheduling issue and some of the extra cost, but that doesn't change the fact that a long running show is massively expensive.

There seems to be recurring theme of DB is off the air for now *hint hint* so I do think we'll see a series again in the near future. Or at least I hope.
And it more than makes the money back, which is why One Piece is still airing. The fact remains that despite Super's problems, it made Dragon Ball Toei's #1 beating out One Piece which has been Toei's cash cow for literally decades. That is something that wasn't done with the two movies, despite Resurrection 'F' making a lot of money.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:59 am

Hawk9211 wrote:Voice actor's interviews:
https://t.co/cBDJjnZIKH?amp=1
Seems like piccolo's actor is annoyed that piccolo was gohan's maid for most of time.
You know u done something wrong when even the seiyuu complains about his character treatment.

If Piccolo gets to appear in the movie, let him fight one of Yamoshis nakamas instead of babysitting Gohan, u know that Toei loves to regress characters..

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:04 am

HeroR wrote:
Michsi wrote:

And it more than makes the money back, which is why One Piece is still airing. The fact remains that despite Super's problems, it made Dragon Ball Toei's #1 beating out One Piece which has been Toei's cash cow for literally decades. That is something that wasn't done with the two movies, despite Resurrection 'F' making a lot of money.
OP has a massively successful on-going manga behind it, and the anime often work as a pseudo commercial for those (not just toys and merchandize). Again, if the extra money that is solely due to Super is not enough to justify its cost and they believe movies and games (they are like a billion of them now) are enough, then a series just doesn't make sense, financially speaking.

We don't have the details, just the overall sum of the merchandise sales, so we don't know what that means for TOEI. Movies just might bring in more money to Toei directly. DVD/BD for Super aren't great in Japan, and licensing profit can only bring so much.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:12 am

Michsi wrote:We don't have the details, just the overall sum of the merchandise sales, so we don't know what that means for TOEI. Movies just might bring in more money to Toei directly. DVD/BD for Super aren't great in Japan, and licensing profit can only bring so much.
BD/DVD sales for a lot of series aren't that great in Japan because of how ludicrously expensive they are. A 12 episode "season" set easily costs $100 or more while over here something like that would run maybe $20-30. Those are aimed more at a niche collector market and it's one of the reasons so many companies are trying hard to fight imports of cheaper western releases.

If you take a look at their listings on Amazon, the sets cost about 12,000 yen/115 dollars on average, and that's with a discount provided. At normal retail the dvds are 12,096/$114.67, and the blu-rays are 16,416/$155.62.
Last edited by BlueBasilisk on Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:17 am

Michsi wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Michsi wrote:

OP has a massively successful on-going manga behind it, and the anime often work as a pseudo commercial for those (not just toys and merchandize). Again, if the extra money that is solely due to Super is not enough to justify its cost and they believe movies and games (they are like a billion of them now) are enough, then a series just doesn't make sense, financially speaking.

We don't have the details, just the overall sum of the merchandise sales, so we don't know what that means for TOEI. Movies just might bring in more money to Toei directly. DVD/BD for Super aren't great in Japan, and licensing profit can only bring so much.
Except it was solely due to Super since Dragon Ball games and the movies existed together before Super and neither of them put Dragon Ball over the top. And most of the games blew up because they had new content to put into it other than one-off movies that happens every few years.

And you just showed the power of Dragon Ball that with an anime alone, it outpaced One Piece which also have a mega-hit manga.
Kanassa wrote: