"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:45 pm

SansrivaaL wrote: Who knows, but them being together gets me on edge, I'm not exactly a fan of seeing Gohan needing to be saved again, and while I'm not the biggest Piccolo fan I dont find Piccolo sacrifing himself appealing, if he's going down I want him to go down as a fighter not as a father.
As a Gohan fan, I want Piccolo away from Piccolo since it seems Piccolo's entire character in this arc is tied to Gohan. Gohan is a big boy, you can seperate from him.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:51 pm

omaro34 wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:
omaro34 wrote: Don't be surprised if Gohan joins Piccolo to fight the two Namekians at some point. I don't think Piccolo would take them both on, that would imply that they're weak.
If I were you I'd pray Piccolo doesnt stick around with Gohan anymore, just the idea of them being together brings out vibes of Gohan almost losing and Piccolo taking the fall for him via sacrificing himself again.
Well, given that's been Piccolo's role for this entire arc so far, and has only gotten real screen time when Gohan is around, I'm fairly certain my worst fear that you mentioned will occur. The only thing keeping me fairly optimistic is that fact that the two Namekians are one of the only few fighters left that haven't been introduced yet, and I believe they wouldn't do that for no reason.

I'd be even more pissed if Frost is about to sneak attack Gohan and Piccolo saves him and ends up taking a death beam to the chest and falling out of the ring. They would be trolling us if they went that route, that's my worst nightmare for this arc.
The Namekians are the only dragonball thing I constantly think about as they have told us absolutely nothing.

Piccolo saving Gohan or Frost knocking him out is every Piccolo's fan worst nightmare but Toriyama does generally not repeat himself so we should be fine.
HeroR wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote: Who knows, but them being together gets me on edge, I'm not exactly a fan of seeing Gohan needing to be saved again, and while I'm not the biggest Piccolo fan I dont find Piccolo sacrifing himself appealing, if he's going down I want him to go down as a fighter not as a father.
As a Gohan fan, I want Piccolo away from Piccolo since it seems Piccolo's entire character in this arc is tied to Gohan. Gohan is a big boy, you can seperate from him.
Piccolo is the bigger asset and Gohan is a useless Goku.
Last edited by namekiansaiyan on Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:52 pm

HeroR wrote:
But Gohan needs a sacrificial lamb to take the blow for him for when he screws up and we can't use Goku like in the Cell saga since Goku is gonna get a new form.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:56 pm

Whatever wrote:
HeroR wrote:
But Gohan needs a sacrificial lamb to take the blow for him for when he screws up and we can't use Goku like in the Cell saga since Goku is gonna get a new form.
That doesn't mean Gohan and Piccolo have to be together at almost every moment in this tournament. Gohan is a big man, he doesn't need encouraging words when you're fighting for survival for crying out loud.

Let Piccolo be the sacrificial lamb then, I'm ok with that as a worst case scenario as long as Piccolo ends up performing well in the tournament and isn't a pushover. If he fights valiantly against those Namekians and takes out another respectable fighter then I'm satisfied.
Last edited by omaro34 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:00 pm

omaro34 wrote:
Whatever wrote:
HeroR wrote:
That doesn't mean Gohan and Piccolo have to be together at almost every moment in this tournament. Gohan is a big man, he doesn't need encouraging words when you're fighting for survival for crying out loud.

Let Piccolo be the sacrificial lamb then, I'm ok with that as a worst case scenario as long as Piccolo ends up performing well in the tournament and isn't a pushover. If he fights valiantly against those Namekians and takes out another respectable fighter than I'm satisfied.
It would be cool if he saves Gohan while taking those 2 namekians out with him, seems unlikely but that would be a good way to have him fulfill both roles at the same time, go down as a father and a fighter, only bad part is... Gohan gets saved... again.
HeroR wrote: As a Gohan fan, I want Piccolo away from Piccolo since it seems Piccolo's entire character in this arc is tied to Gohan. Gohan is a big boy, you can seperate from him.
Dont know if you did that on purpose (mistaking Piccolo for Gohan, like my prev post) :lol: I didnt like it when Gohan said they should split up while him and Piccolo sticked together.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:07 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:
omaro34 wrote:
Whatever wrote: But Gohan needs a sacrificial lamb to take the blow for him for when he screws up and we can't use Goku like in the Cell saga since Goku is gonna get a new form.

Let Piccolo be the sacrificial lamb then, I'm ok with that as a worst case scenario as long as Piccolo ends up performing well in the tournament and isn't a pushover. If he fights valiantly against those Namekians and takes out another respectable fighter than I'm satisfied.
It would be cool if he saves Gohan while taking those 2 namekians out with him, seems unlikely but that would be a good way to have him fulfill both roles at the same time, go down as a father and a fighter, only bad part is... Gohan gets saved... again.
HeroR wrote: As a Gohan fan, I want Piccolo away from Piccolo since it seems Piccolo's entire character in this arc is tied to Gohan. Gohan is a big boy, you can seperate from him.
Dont know if you did that on purpose (mistaking Piccolo for Gohan, like my prev post) :lol: I didnt like it when Gohan said they should split up while him and Piccolo sticked together.
Sure that makes Piccolo look bad from a writing standpoint, as it appears he's only serving as Gohan's extension & sacrificial lamb, but it does make Gohan look bad too. It shows that he constantly needs help and has to be bailed out to survive. A fighter of Gohan's potential shouldn't need a push to be better, and most certainly shouldn't need to be constantly saved by the bell.
Last edited by omaro34 on Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:08 pm

omaro34 wrote: That doesn't mean Gohan and Piccolo have to be together at almost every moment in this tournament. Gohan is a big man, he doesn't need encouraging words when you're fighting for survival for crying out loud.

How does Piccolo sacrificing himself for Gohan help the story at all since Goku, Vegeta and Frieza are stronger than him? This is a Toriyama story not Toei and their nonsense.

For example, if the script says Piccolo loses to Jiren after he comes in contact with him and fights him then there is no way he can save Gohan.

They could tag team and win as Piccolo gets a power up from the Namekians and Gohan powers up from being angry as usual. This would then prove that teamwork actually is important.

Too much negativity.
Last edited by namekiansaiyan on Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:12 pm

omaro34 wrote: Sure that makes Piccolo look bad from a writing standpoint, as it appears he's only serving as Gohan's extension & sacrificial lamb, but it does make Gohan look bad too. It shows that he constantly needs help and has to be bailed out to survive. A fighter of Gohan's potential shouldn't need a push to be better, and most certainly shouldn't need to be constantly saved by the bell.
Exactly, which is why as soon as possible I want them to seperate, both of them will just look bad instead of actually being entertaining. I was kinda glad when Gohan said they should split up, but then thrown in dismay when him and Piccolo continued to stick together, the sooner they split up the better it will be for us Gohan and Piccolo fans.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:16 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:
omaro34 wrote: Sure that makes Piccolo look bad from a writing standpoint, as it appears he's only serving as Gohan's extension & sacrificial lamb, but it does make Gohan look bad too. It shows that he constantly needs help and has to be bailed out to survive. A fighter of Gohan's potential shouldn't need a push to be better, and most certainly shouldn't need to be constantly saved by the bell.
Exactly, which is why as soon as possible I want them to seperate, both of them will just look bad instead of actually being entertaining. I was kinda glad when Gohan said they should split up, but then thrown in dismay when him and Piccolo continued to stick together, the sooner they split up the better it will be for us Gohan and Piccolo fans.
I think it will happen eventually however if Piccolo's and Gohan's next fights are seperate like last time than it isalmost certainly just Toei having them walk arpund together.

I doubt Gohan will interfere with a Namekian fight that much and Piccolo might even demand to fight them alone. Goku will probably come in and work with them some time in the future.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:17 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
omaro34 wrote: That doesn't mean Gohan and Piccolo have to be together at almost every moment in this tournament. Gohan is a big man, he doesn't need encouraging words when you're fighting for survival for crying out loud.

How does Piccolo sacrificing hinself for Gohan help the story at all since Goku, Vegeta and Frieza are stronger than him? This is a Toriyama story not Toei and their nonsense.

For example, if the script says Piccolo loses to Jiren after he comes in contact with him and fights him then there is no way he can save Gohan.

They could tag team and win as Piccolo gets a power up from the Namekians and Gohan powers up from being angry as usual. This would then prove that the teamwork actually is important.
It doesn't help the story at all, in fact it shows regression on Gohan's character that he always needs to be saved or pushed to the limit emotionally or physically in order to unleash his full potential. It's the same old song and dance that we've heard before.

I'd be satisfied with Piccolo jobbing to Jiren, there's no shame in losing to the strongest fighter in the tournament. But that won't happen. Jiren is especially saved for Goku, and nobody else. Piccolo won't fight any of those 3 U11 guys, don't make your expectations too high.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:33 pm

omaro34 wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:

How does Piccolo sacrificing hinself for Gohan help the story at all since Goku, Vegeta and Frieza are stronger than him? This is a Toriyama story not Toei and their nonsense.

They could tag team and win as Piccolo gets a power up from the Namekians and Gohan powers up from being angry as usual. This would then prove that the teamwork actually is important.
It doesn't help the story at all, in fact it shows regression on Gohan's character that he always needs to be saved or pushed to the limit emotionally or physically in order to unleash his full potential. It's the same old song and dance that we've heard before.

I'd be satisfied with Piccolo jobbing to Jiren, there's no shame in losing to the strongest fighter in the tournament. But that won't happen. Jiren is especially saved for Goku, and nobody else. Piccolo won't fight any of those 3 U11 guys, don't make your expectations too high.
You know I have nothing but high expectations.

Hit will probably finish Dyspo, with Jiren or Goku beating Hit so there is only really 2 big guys.

If Piccolo fights the Namekians and survives, who does he lose to? The same with with 17, if he has a rematch with Brianne and wins who takes him out and the same with Gohan, Frieza and Vegeta. Characters are either losing to characters they don't expect to lose to or they are all losing to the same person.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:37 pm

HeroR wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: That is assuming anything more does get announced as of right now for the rest of the year just one Kale figure...

The release schedules are so slow and they waste slots by putting Z related stuff or Heroes related things this is all under the Super brand it's like what are they doing and then they sometimes re-use moulds for figures and make things even slower. An example, new Super brand line of figures (FES Stage) was announced a few months ago (first volume came out 2 weeks ago), 8 figures have been announced...only 1 is really Super related the rest from Dragon Ball or Z and all of them are Goku... And of those 8, 2 are SS1 Namek Goku's same mould but one with a more golder paint job on the hair, 2 base Saiyan arc Goku's with the same mould but one normal the other Kaioken, 2 SS3 Goku's same mould but one has a lighter coloured gi...

I don't like this myth people have that everything in Super is made primarily to shift toys or merchandise, while that maybe a goal it is not the primary goal that people make out, otherwise shit wouldn't be so slow to be released.
This made me laughed given how 'popular' Goku has been lately on the internet.

But I agree. Fans seem to think Super is Transformers or My Little Pony, which really do exists to sell toys (to say they're not good shows).
Heh. That is another myth that needs to be quashed, people who don't like Goku are in the minority.

Folks babble on how everything in Super is made to sell toys and merch when it feels like Z and Heroes is being sold more under the Super brand then anything actually Super related!! Just goes to show how powerful the Super brand is! Basically slap Super on something and it'll sell.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:38 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Don't know about Batman since I only cared about him when I was kid, but nothing is worse than Erza. Erza wins everything because she's Erza. When the author explicitly writes something like this, you expect nothing from him.

I also don't know why some people are so desperate to see Caulifla and Kale getting eliminated. Wasn't this fanbase that was begging for female Super Saiyans for years?! It's still because of power levels again?! I know for those people episode 100 must have been a big slap in the face, but only because this show is for kids doesn't mean we must act as such.

At least they still can't read minds like Goku.
Yeah thats the issue for most hardcore Z fans(some of them are still using the whole SSJ multipliers).

If Kale reached Blue level, then Caulifla will do it too, I expect her to get a big powerup and imo it wont be SSJ3, Brianne might her main fight, while Kale and Cabba take care of Jimizu and Rosie.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:42 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
omaro34 wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:

You know I have nothing but high expectations.

Hit will probably finish Dyspo, with Jiren or Goku beating Hit so there is only really 2 big guys.

If Piccolo fights the Namekians and survives, who does he lose to? The same with with 17, if he has a rematch with Brianne and wins who takes him out and the same with Gohan, Frieza and Vegeta. Characters are either losing to characters they don't expect to lose to or they are all losing to the same person.
I'm just keeping you from getting thoroughly disappointed. If you go into it with low expectations you won't be so disgusted when its all said and done. Piccolo has taken the short end of the stick many times before so don't be surprised if it happens. I've learned my lesson from the U6 Champa arc.

Frost can beat Piccolo, and the writers haven't shown Frost since he took out Krillin weeks ago now. When Frost attacked Hit, even Hit stated that he was actually trying, even if it was for a mere moment. That goes to show that Frost has gotten stronger.

You never know. It could be Freeza that takes him out in a very cheap way and decides to betray his own universe.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:47 pm

HeroR wrote:Always fun to watch: Dragon Ball Super First 11 Minutes of the Tournament of Power in "Real Time"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmbLfM0YVks
Shouldn't be 13 minutes? Last episode implied we only have 35 minutes for the end of the tournament.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:56 pm

omaro34 wrote: I'm just keeping you from getting thoroughly disappointed. If you go into it with low expectations you won't be so disgusted when its all said and done. Piccolo has taken the short end of the stick many times before so don't be surprised if it happens. I've learned my lesson from the U6 Champa arc.

Frost can beat Piccolo, and the writers haven't shown Frost since he took out Krillin weeks ago now. When Frost attacked Hit, even Hit stated that he was actually trying, even if it was for a mere moment. That goes to show that Frost has gotten stronger.

You never know. It could be Freeza that takes him out in a very cheap way and decides to betray his own universe.
Frost and Piccolo have both got stronger.

The hype is Toriyama's fault for including 2 Namekians and Toei's fault for not saying anything about them. I am going to be excited for at least a couple weeks and the longer we wait for information the bigger the hype.

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:05 pm

We need a 3 or 4 episode leak now!

hardcorefakes
Beyond Newbie

Post by hardcorefakes » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:05 pm

RedHeat wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
The thing that some people are annoyed with Kale and also Caulifla is the fact they are still in the tournament. How did Jiren not knock Kale out and how has not one of the 30+ fighters from other universes not knocked them out yet.
Because Plot shield is so huge Erza, Batman would be jealous of them.

The Saiyan Trio will have 1 more fight and that will be it for them in this arc, Cabba kinda needs to do something as relevant as the girls did.
I disagree. Kale has a much bigger role to play later on, or else they wouldn't've given her the ability to control her form, and Caulilfa's obviously getting a higher form
Caulifla isn't getting another form in this arc.

Kale's gotten plenty of screentime, what more does she need? There's no huge plot point that she needs to fulfill at this point; that happened in episode 101.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:07 pm

JulianStyles wrote:We need a 3 or 4 episode leak now!
Not until about 7th September.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:13 pm

HeroR wrote:Always fun to watch: Dragon Ball Super First 11 Minutes of the Tournament of Power in "Real Time"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmbLfM0YVks
Yeah, this is awesome because it puts everything into perspective. Such an ambitious arc! <3
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.