"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Totamo » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:21 pm

HeroR wrote:
Totamo wrote: I recommend you drop then watch the whole arc in a row because this is just a tournament.

Personally, I don't ever want super to be serious again.The writers can't handle it. I have never seen the fandom more hostile than I did during that arc. It can be heavily argued that the U6 arc was better than the future trunks one.

Modern dragon Ball is a cashgrab and I rather they be honest about it instead of trying to pretend like it's more like it did with that arc.

Just make it a fun show to watch, I'm tired of all of these debates when the show tries to be more than that. I am angry about the stupid fan theories and the angry reactions when they don't come true when the show tries to be more than that.

Super brings out the worst in the fandom when it tries to be serious. Never again. But that's just my opinion.
Dragon Ball has always been a cash grab. Let's not pretend that Dragon Ball was done out of the kindness of Toriyama's heart or even fun. It was always about money.

The show can handle darkness just fine since the Future Trunks Saga is very well liked by many and some considered it up there with Z's storylines. So vocal people screaming on the internet doesn't reflect the whole fandom.

And if you don't like the fandom during super serious, then don't go to forums. It's your own fault if the fandom reaction makes you jaded towards certain storylines.
You are correct but I still personally feel that way.

dragonballgeek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballgeek » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:21 pm

sintzu wrote:
TheMathemagician wrote:They definitely won't replace him. They'll backseat him.
You mean like they did in the manga's Black arc ?
HeroR wrote:They practically did replace Vegeta since he haven't been Goku's equal since the Champa Saga.
You're right cause in the manga's Black arc he surpassed Goku by being the main character.
HeroR wrote:
dragonballgeek wrote:
Obviously Goku is going to need at least one person keeping up with him. They won't let him fall too far behind.
Maybe, but that person doesn't need to be Vegeta either. It isn't like Goku haven't surpassed all his other rivals.
Goku had other rivals ?
...Obviously? But Vegeta has always been an ally rival to him. I said absolutely nothing about Goku not having other rivals, but Vegeta has been it for the longest time. They're not going to let him fall so far behind that there's no hope of catching up.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:34 pm

dragonballgeek wrote:...Obviously? But Vegeta has always been an ally rival to him. I said absolutely nothing about Goku not having other rivals, but Vegeta has been it for the longest time.
Who were his other rivals ? all his friends who could've been fell behind before a rivalry could even start. Vegeta has been the only one to keep up with him since his introduction.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TheMathemagician
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheMathemagician » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:37 pm

HeroR wrote:
kinisking wrote: I agree but I doubt they'd replace Vegeta. He's just too damn iconic and popular. It'd be neat seeing Goku with a new rival though.
They practically did replace Vegeta since he haven't been Goku's equal since the Champa Saga, outside of him training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, and even that was kind of fall flat since Goku melted Merged Zamau's face. There is also the whole thing with Goku putting a hit on himself.
TheMathemagician wrote: They definitely won't replace him. They'll backseat him (like they've been doing with Hit and most likely soon to be Hit until a future saga that has Vegeta at the forefront again), but once they inevitably put Vegeta back at the front of Goku's rivals, I want them to actually feel like rivals. It's just such a poorly written rivalry that it comes off as one-sided most of the time. It just seems like Vegeta is competing with a guy who recognizes his strength and just moves on from it. BoG and the Rosat showed this best. Goku acknowledged Vegeta's superior power to his own and just kind of moved on from it. Then there's the fact that the gap between them in Super is huge. SSBKK Goku wrecks SSB Vegeta, which makes Goku stronger than Vegeta by a good deal for like the last like 50 episodes.
Their rivalry has been one-sided since the end of the Freeza Saga when Goku went Super Saiyan. After that, Goku stopped caring about Vegeta and even rubbed his face that he was stronger in the Cell Saga.

I also wouldn't say Toriyama wouldn't give Goku a new rival and have Vegeta be background since Toriyama has changed stuff in his work before when he wanted something new. That is how we got adult Goku when his editors were against the idea.
I don't even think Vegeta started caring about surpassing Goku until post-Namek. But by that time, Goku just kind of minded his own business.
sintzu wrote:
HeroR wrote:They practically did replace Vegeta since he haven't been Goku's equal since the Champa Saga.
You're right cause in the manga's Black arc he surpassed Goku by being the main character.
HeroR wrote:
dragonballgeek wrote:
Obviously Goku is going to need at least one person keeping up with him. They won't let him fall too far behind.
Maybe, but that person doesn't need to be Vegeta either. It isn't like Goku haven't surpassed all his other rivals.
Goku had other rivals ?
No I mean like how they are doing him in the anime. He's taken a backseat to Hit as Goku's primary rival for the time being and that'll most likely be the case again with Jiren. As I've said in a previous post, he'll probably be brought back to the forefront as Goku's primary rival in a later saga. Which is why I made my original post of wanting it to actually feel like a rivalry, instead of the one-sided affair that it comes off as being a lot of the time.
dragonballgeek wrote:
TheMathemagician wrote:
dragonballgeek wrote:
That's not true. We have no idea what their pacing schedule is for the show. We don't even know how long this series is going to last.

They've also already let him fall too far behind since Vegeta is one-shot material to Goku at his strongest.With that said, that could easily be solved by if Goku gets a new transformation that isn't compatible with Kaioken in this saga, Vegeta can just catch up in one of the succeeding sagas by getting the same thing.
He's definitely not too far behind.

This is the same organization that will POTENTIALLY have Krillin keeping up with base Gohan. So any hopes of power scaling Vegeta and Goku is completely unpredictable.
Except until we're showing anything from Vegeta in relation to his power to Goku, he is far behind. Yeah anything can happen, but you can't assume they're close based off of what can potentially happen, when we have to look at what we have now. What we have now is full power Goku greatly outclassing full power Vegeta. Unless you go by the manga where Vegeta is a fair bit stronger than Goku.
"Sighs...At my age, I already have a woman who follows me around thinking she's my wife. Oh! My youth's rotting away!" - Ataru Moroboshi

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:49 pm

TheMathemagician wrote:No I mean like how they are doing him in the anime. He's taken a backseat to Hit as Goku's primary rival for the time being and that'll most likely be the case again with Jiren.
Hit and Jiren are just their arc's antagonists, if they join the main cast and are always interacting with Goku instead of Vegeta then that's a different story.

If the manga's Black arc is anything to go by then Vegeta is more than just Goku's rival now, he lead an entire arc on his own and got a main villain all to himself, at this point he's his own character.

dragonballgeek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballgeek » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:50 pm

sintzu wrote:
dragonballgeek wrote:...Obviously? But Vegeta has always been an ally rival to him. I said absolutely nothing about Goku not having other rivals, but Vegeta has been it for the longest time.
Who were his other rivals ? all his friends who could've been fell behind before a rivalry could even start. Vegeta has been the only one to keep up with him since his introduction.
I think you and I were agreeing that Vegeta is Gokus rival.

TheMathemagician
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheMathemagician » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:08 am

sintzu wrote:
TheMathemagician wrote:No I mean like how they are doing him in the anime. He's taken a backseat to Hit as Goku's primary rival for the time being and that'll most likely be the case again with Jiren.
Hit and Jiren are just their arc's antagonists, if they join the main cast and are always interacting with Goku instead of Vegeta then that's a different story.

If the manga's Black arc is anything to go by then Vegeta is more than just Goku's rival now, he lead an entire arc on his own and got a main villain all to himself, at this point he's his own character.
But they're not just arc antagonists (at least in Hit's case) considering Hit re-appeared once again reprising his role as Goku's big rival. Joining the main cast won't change that Hit is Goku's current primary rival. Vegeta in the manga has gotten a saga to himself, but I'd hardly call Black the main villain when that just ends up being Merged Zamasu. Er, what I mean is Black is the current main villain, until Merged Zamasu shows up. Of course that's great for Prince Veggie as that still means he was the one to take down the big villain at the time not once but twice, but that is of of course manga only. But I guess that's also the good part about having two different versions of the story.
"Sighs...At my age, I already have a woman who follows me around thinking she's my wife. Oh! My youth's rotting away!" - Ataru Moroboshi

dragonballgeek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballgeek » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:42 am

TheMathemagician wrote:
HeroR wrote:
kinisking wrote: I agree but I doubt they'd replace Vegeta. He's just too damn iconic and popular. It'd be neat seeing Goku with a new rival though.
They practically did replace Vegeta since he haven't been Goku's equal since the Champa Saga, outside of him training in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, and even that was kind of fall flat since Goku melted Merged Zamau's face. There is also the whole thing with Goku putting a hit on himself.
TheMathemagician wrote: They definitely won't replace him. They'll backseat him (like they've been doing with Hit and most likely soon to be Hit until a future saga that has Vegeta at the forefront again), but once they inevitably put Vegeta back at the front of Goku's rivals, I want them to actually feel like rivals. It's just such a poorly written rivalry that it comes off as one-sided most of the time. It just seems like Vegeta is competing with a guy who recognizes his strength and just moves on from it. BoG and the Rosat showed this best. Goku acknowledged Vegeta's superior power to his own and just kind of moved on from it. Then there's the fact that the gap between them in Super is huge. SSBKK Goku wrecks SSB Vegeta, which makes Goku stronger than Vegeta by a good deal for like the last like 50 episodes.
Their rivalry has been one-sided since the end of the Freeza Saga when Goku went Super Saiyan. After that, Goku stopped caring about Vegeta and even rubbed his face that he was stronger in the Cell Saga.

I also wouldn't say Toriyama wouldn't give Goku a new rival and have Vegeta be background since Toriyama has changed stuff in his work before when he wanted something new. That is how we got adult Goku when his editors were against the idea.
I don't even think Vegeta started caring about surpassing Goku until post-Namek. But by that time, Goku just kind of minded his own business.
sintzu wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Goku had other rivals ?
No I mean like how they are doing him in the anime. He's taken a backseat to Hit as Goku's primary rival for the time being and that'll most likely be the case again with Jiren. As I've said in a previous post, he'll probably be brought back to the forefront as Goku's primary rival in a later saga. Which is why I made my original post of wanting it to actually feel like a rivalry, instead of the one-sided affair that it comes off as being a lot of the time.
dragonballgeek wrote:
TheMathemagician wrote: They've also already let him fall too far behind since Vegeta is one-shot material to Goku at his strongest.With that said, that could easily be solved by if Goku gets a new transformation that isn't compatible with Kaioken in this saga, Vegeta can just catch up in one of the succeeding sagas by getting the same thing.

This is the same organization that will POTENTIALLY have Krillin keeping up with base Gohan. So any hopes of power scaling Vegeta and Goku is completely unpredictable.
Except until we're showing anything from Vegeta in relation to his power to Goku, he is far behind. Yeah anything can happen, but you can't assume they're close based off of what can potentially happen, when we have to look at what we have now. What we have now is full power Goku greatly outclassing full power Vegeta. Unless you go by the manga where Vegeta is a fair bit stronger than Goku.
Now it's YOU who is assuming where Vegeta stands power wise. All we know is that for (at the most) the past month Vegeta has stuck by Bulmas side since she's due anytime. We have no idea what kind of gains Vegeta has made. Vegetas whole reasoning for not training with Goku is because Bulma could pop at any moment.

Just like we didn't see Goku master SSBKK, we have no idea what Vegeta has done. Is it likely that he will have something up his sleeve? Probably not. But since we are talking about making assumptions, I think we should wait and see what happens.

TheMathemagician
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheMathemagician » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:53 am

dragonballgeek wrote:
TheMathemagician wrote:
HeroR wrote:

sintzu wrote:

Goku had other rivals ?
dragonballgeek wrote:

Now it's YOU who is assuming where Vegeta stands power wise. All we know is that for (at the most) the past month Vegeta has stuck by Bulmas side since she's due anytime. We have no idea what kind of gains Vegeta has made. Vegetas whole reasoning for not training with Goku is because Bulma could pop at any moment.

Just like we didn't see Goku master SSBKK, we have no idea what Vegeta has done. Is it likely that he will have something up his sleeve? Probably not. But since we are talking about making assumptions, I think we should wait and see what happens.
Except I'm not assuming. We go off of what we last saw of the character, we saw everything from Goku and Vegeta, and Vegeta gets stomped by Goku if they both aren't holding anything back. You're once again assuming that he might have closed the gap. That's the problem with what you're saying and the problem with your accusation of me. We don't know if he got something up his sleeves or not, so we can't assume he did. So what do we do? We go off of how we last saw them. The gap between them the last time we saw them in action was huge, and nothing suggests the gap has changed.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:28 am

TheMathemagician wrote:Hit re-appeared once again reprising his role as Goku's big rival.

Vegeta in the manga has gotten a saga to himself, but I'd hardly call Black the main villain when that just ends up being Merged Zamasu.

Veggie was the one to take down the big villain at the time not once but twice, but that is of of course manga only.
In an anime only episode that was more than likely not written by Toriyama.

Merged Zamasu is still Black, just fused with his friend which is something Vegeta does as well to counter him. I don't know why him fusing takes anything away from Vegeta. If Vegeta was the one to fuse with Goku first then I'd understand but he didn't.

The manga should hold more weight than it does considering it follows Toriyama's outline while the anime seems to be doing its own thing, at least it did with the Black arc. it remains to be seen what it does with the upcoming torunament.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:45 am

dragonballgeek wrote:
TheMathemagician wrote: I don't even think Vegeta started caring about surpassing Goku until post-Namek. But by that time, Goku just kind of minded his own business.

Let's not forget that GOku was apparently so rusty that a bullet was able to bruise him, so he doesn't seem to have been training either
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Roronoa-pt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Roronoa-pt » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:56 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:Didn't they actually mention a Namekian Book of Legends around the U6 tournament??

That would be perfect for Piccolo to get a powerup.
They did mention the Namekian Book in the Beerus saga, not in the U6 tournament.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:35 am

Roronoa-pt wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Didn't they actually mention a Namekian Book of Legends around the U6 tournament??

That would be perfect for Piccolo to get a powerup.
They did mention the Namekian Book in the Beerus saga, not in the U6 tournament.
Piccolo probably is getting a power up just through training.

We have no idea how strong Piccolo, 17 and Tien will be yet. Roshi probably will be about the same power level.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:44 am

sintzu wrote:
TheMathemagician wrote:Hit re-appeared once again reprising his role as Goku's big rival.

Vegeta in the manga has gotten a saga to himself, but I'd hardly call Black the main villain when that just ends up being Merged Zamasu.

Veggie was the one to take down the big villain at the time not once but twice, but that is of of course manga only.

Merged Zamasu is still Black, just fused with his friend which is something Vegeta does as well to counter him. I don't know why him fusing takes anything away from Vegeta. If Vegeta was the one to fuse with Goku first then I'd understand but he didn't.

The manga should hold more weight than it does considering it follows Toriyama's outline while the anime seems to be doing its own thing, at least it did with the Black arc. it remains to be seen what it does with the upcoming torunament.
Just because the manga wanks vegeta doesn't mean it holds more weight akira gives both toei and toyotoro an outline on how this is in arc and let them do it in their own way.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:50 am

pacz360 wrote:
sintzu wrote:

Just because the manga wanks vegeta doesn't mean it holds more weight akira gives both toei and toyotoro an outline on how this is in arc and let them do it in their own way.
Exactly! If anything it's Toyo the one who is doing what he wants. When Toriyama broke what the anime staff do all he said they do is expand things and move things around nothing about changes. We already know Toyo does changes thanks to the BoG arc where he didn't have Goku revert to SS.

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisteryOne » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:00 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
pacz360 wrote:
sintzu wrote:

Exactly! If anything it's Toyo the one who is doing what he wants. When Toriyama broke what the anime staff do all he said they do is expand things and move things around nothing about changes. We already know Toyo does changes thanks to the BoG arc where he didn't have Goku revert to SS.
The anime also didn't have Goku turning SSG a second time like in the movie, so whats your point? Both mediums changed BoG.
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:11 am

MisteryOne wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
pacz360 wrote: Just because the manga wanks vegeta doesn't mean it holds more weight akira gives both toei and toyotoro an outline on how this is in arc and let them do it in their own way.
The anime also didn't have Goku turning SSG a second time like in the movie, so whats your point? Both mediums changed BoG.
Hardly as significant but retellings aside then the main point is Toriyama didn't mention anything about changes, if KK really was Toei and not in the outline then he would have said something.

TheMathemagician
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheMathemagician » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:05 am

sintzu wrote:

Fusing isn't taking anything away from Vegeta lol. I've already acknowledged he's beaten Black who at the moment in the main villain, but the main villain ends up being Merged Zamasu, who isn't Black. Merged Zamasu having Black as a part of him isn't any different than 17 and 18 being apart of Cell. So yes, Vegeta did defeat Black who is the main villain at the moment, but Merged Zamasu ends up being the main villain.

Hit episodes being in the anime just means they're canon to the anime, so my point still stands for the anime. Vegeta is taking a backseat to Hit in the anime. Also, the manga doesn't hold any more weight than the anime, and your claim just comes off as your own bias for Vegeta.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:08 am

Totamo wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Totamo wrote: I recommend you drop then watch the whole arc in a row because this is just a tournament.

Personally, I don't ever want super to be serious again.The writers can't handle it. I have never seen the fandom more hostile than I did during that arc. It can be heavily argued that the U6 arc was better than the future trunks one.

Modern dragon Ball is a cashgrab and I rather they be honest about it instead of trying to pretend like it's more like it did with that arc.

Just make it a fun show to watch, I'm tired of all of these debates when the show tries to be more than that. I am angry about the stupid fan theories and the angry reactions when they don't come true when the show tries to be more than that.

Super brings out the worst in the fandom when it tries to be serious. Never again. But that's just my opinion.
Dragon Ball has always been a cash grab. Let's not pretend that Dragon Ball was done out of the kindness of Toriyama's heart or even fun. It was always about money.

The show can handle darkness just fine since the Future Trunks Saga is very well liked by many and some considered it up there with Z's storylines. So vocal people screaming on the internet doesn't reflect the whole fandom.

And if you don't like the fandom during super serious, then don't go to forums. It's your own fault if the fandom reaction makes you jaded towards certain storylines.
You are correct but I still personally feel that way.
Ok, seriously. The "it was always this way" narrative is literally out of control now. Toriyama has said he cares about the characters and franchise deeply. The attempts to prop up Super with the pathetic argument of things always being a certain way since the beginning is disgusting. No one is saying Toriyama is perfect writer, I personal think he is average with some occasional amazing work, but to reduce his previous works to mere "cash grabs" just to gain some validation for Super is a little too far guys. I'm not going to act like he wasn't working to pay his bills, but OMG why are we reinventing history to get validation for Super?

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:31 am

DBZ Macky wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:While researching bulla I came across this, apparently that's what it means in Hindi, an Indian language..

All the more reason to stick with bra for me, naming a girl penis isn't too attractive to me, bra is still somewhat okay
I haven't heard of anything like this. Unless the word is actually "balla" (which could be written as Bulla but the pronounciation is completely different) which means "bat", as in "meat bat" I guess.

Anyways, If I talk with someone in public, I prefer to use "Bulla" mostly because using "Bra" becomes kind of awkward.
You haven't heard of it?
That's odd, after I found this I remembered I was given a text to translate quite a while ago from Hindi to English and it contained only swears, that contained bulla and I was confused back then..
Gojiitaaf posted the same thing in his page after my post, and in the comments someone was saying they hear it quite often..

Either way, it seems to not be popular buuut I am sticking to bra form now :lol:
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker