"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:14 pm

FutureGohanSSJ2 wrote:Anybody know when Chapter 6 is expected to leak?
V-Jump is almost always on the 21st, and the contents usually leak a couple of days beforehand. So not for like a week yet.

I wonder how Tagoma is going to change bodies with Ginyu? Last time, the Cap'n needed a translator to switch with Bluma, but I doubt she'd make that mistake again. So what, does Tagoma speak frog?
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:16 pm

Well, Ginyu was one of the highlights of the Namek arc, so I don't mind him coming back, but this creates an almighty plot hole. That fucker should have bitten the dust on Namek or Earth. How in the hell is still alive? We'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:18 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Well, Ginyu was one of the highlights of the Namek arc, so I don't mind him coming back, but this creates an almighty plot hole. That fucker should have bitten the dust on Namek or Earth. How in the hell is still alive? We'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.
At the very least he should be on New Namek.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:22 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Well, Ginyu was one of the highlights of the Namek arc, so I don't mind him coming back, but this creates an almighty plot hole. That fucker should have bitten the dust on Namek or Earth. How in the hell is still alive? We'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.
Like others explained, if he's on Earth, why shouldn't he be resurrected? It was just a frog. I doubt Porunga would consider animals "evil" when doing his thing.
It's not really a plothole when he's being dead or not was just an assumption.
Neon Z wrote:I really don't think the wish to not bring evil people applied to random people unrelated to Buu and Babidi. They weren't trying to go all Death Note on the world. In fact, considering how there are no comments from the humans about missing people after everyone is brought back, that implication seemed to be completely overlooked by Toriyama while writing that scene.
That, too. If the wish was followed to a T, crime should cease for a long time, for instance.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:27 pm

Doctor. wrote:At the very least he should be on New Namek.
Not necessarily? Wasn't the wish to transport everyone to Earth, which would arguably include Ginyu's soul in the frog body? Then the later wish being made for the Namekians to be transported to their new home? He's an alien soul in a frog body. Yeah, it's a "Namekian" frog, as in a frog from Namek, but he's not a "Namekian" like Dende and Muri though. I mean, despite actually being a Namekian, Piccolo wasn't just spirited away against his will either.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:29 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Doctor. wrote:At the very least he should be on New Namek.
Not necessarily? Wasn't the wish to transport everyone to Earth, which would arguably include Ginyu's soul in the frog body? Then the later wish being made for the Namekians to be transported to their new home? He's an alien soul in a frog body. Yeah, it's a "Namekian" frog, as in a frog from Namek, but he's not a "Namekian" like Dende and Muri though. I mean, despite actually being a Namekian, Piccolo wasn't just spirited away against his will either.
I meant that if he's alive, he should be on New Namek. Because he can't be alive on Earth.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:36 pm

That's already been addressed by other posters. It doesn't seem like Porunga cares about your past, only your current state of being. If Vegeta can be evil for most of his life and then have his life's sins overlooked after a couple of decent acts from over the day or so before the wish (after having just slaughtered a stadium full of people), then why can't Ginyu be given the same treatment for living the peaceful life of a frog for around a decade?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:42 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:That's already been addressed by other posters. It doesn't seem like Porunga cares about your past, only your current state of being. If Vegeta can be evil for most of his life and then have his life's sins overlooked after a couple of decent acts from over the day or so before the wish (after having just slaughtered a stadium full of people), then why can't Ginyu be given the same treatment for living the peaceful life of a frog for around a decade?
Would that excuse fly if, say, we see Tao Pai Pai alive?

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:47 pm

Well, Toriyama did say they are probably dead. But if he managed to pop back up in Super as a continuation of the Cell Games filler or something and had stopped doing "really bad" things (like killing people), I'd accept it. I may not like it (same as for Vegeta), but I would accept it.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:03 pm

Zombie wrote:He did this in Toriyama's script. That's where Shisami comes from.
How so? Shisami is already there when Freeza leaves the heal chamber.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:09 pm

Noah wrote:
Zombie wrote:He did this in Toriyama's script. That's where Shisami comes from.
How so? Shisami is already there when Freeza leaves the heal chamber.
He isn't there on his script.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:14 pm

Is it possible when it says "Tagoma switches places with Ginyu to become even more powerful" they literally mean Ginyu's body, AKA the frog AKA the actual character Ginyu might not show up? Basically, Ginyu is still the frog, Tagoma is Ginyu, and the frog is now Tagoma. My head hurts.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:18 pm

I imagine if that were the case, they would have specified "Ginyu's body". The frog hopping around in Ginyu's body isn't really Ginyu as a character. Plus, I don't think we ever see his body with the frog in it on Earth or anything...

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:07 pm

Doctor. wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:That's already been addressed by other posters. It doesn't seem like Porunga cares about your past, only your current state of being. If Vegeta can be evil for most of his life and then have his life's sins overlooked after a couple of decent acts from over the day or so before the wish (after having just slaughtered a stadium full of people), then why can't Ginyu be given the same treatment for living the peaceful life of a frog for around a decade?
Would that excuse fly if, say, we see Tao Pai Pai alive?
Honestly, I very much expect Tao Pai Pai to be alive. I mean, there were those burglars Krillin was chasing down (didn't they shoot at him too?). =P

If Pilaf is around, I see no reason Ginyu can't be, considering he was mostly an opportunist following orders. Also, he's a frog. And yeah, we don't even know if he was caught in Buu's explosion; we just assume he was.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:18 pm

JulieYBM wrote:It doesn't need to be complex. Gohan fights, gets knocked around for a bit, digs deep and transforms into a Super Saiyan, then defeats Tagoma or Gi'nyuu. There's no need for a new transformation or whatever, just the simple Super Saiyan form.
There is a transformation we need. The only one suited to handle Ginyuu now. The Great Saiyaman! Come on, Toei. I've been waiting for this moment all my life.

Also, I don't think I've seen anyone else bring it up yet, but the Q&A in the Super Start Guide teased the possibility of old villains returning the way Freeza did. The two characters pictured as examples are Ginyuu and Cell. Maybe it wasn't just a random question after all.
-Rachel

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:21 pm

TripleRach wrote:
Also, I don't think I've seen anyone else bring it up yet, but the Q&A in the Super Start Guide teased the possibility of old villains returning the way Freeza did. The two characters pictured as examples are Ginyuu and Cell. Maybe it wasn't just a random question after all.
The wording of the wish might be phrased differently this time. That or Sorbet gets more than one wish granted.

Did the Super Start Guide ever get translated? I must have missed that.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:22 pm

I hope Ginyu takes over Gohan's body and just replaces him altogether.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:26 pm

TripleRach wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:It doesn't need to be complex. Gohan fights, gets knocked around for a bit, digs deep and transforms into a Super Saiyan, then defeats Tagoma or Gi'nyuu. There's no need for a new transformation or whatever, just the simple Super Saiyan form.
There is a transformation we need. The only one suited to handle Ginyuu now. The Great Saiyaman! Come on, Toei. I've been waiting for this moment all my life.

The possibility of Great Saiyaman vs Captain Ginyu opened up?
(✧ω✧)
*Needs to see this fight.*
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:06 pm

JulieYBM wrote:The wording of the wish might be phrased differently this time. That or Sorbet gets more than one wish granted.

Did the Super Start Guide ever get translated? I must have missed that.
I don't think it was ever 'properly' translated, but I believe most/all the new stuff was all pointed out at least.

I assume this is the Q&A question TripleRach was talking about (at least, it's the one with Ginyu and Cell next to it):

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:26 pm

Don't know how too feel about this Ginyu comeback. There's other concerns for me.
The part of soldiers training with Freeza is no suprise, since I put that option back then in ROF. I would like King Cold to come back instead of having a stupid gag scene in his place.

But seems like this may still be better than the movie, just liked Super BOG was.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.