"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:34 pm

To be honest, I never expected a new series to last this long and I have genuinely enjoyed DBS throughout it's entire run despite it's up and downs and I wouldn't change my experience from it for anything.

Whether DB comes back or not, we at least had a new series and I can only be entirely grateful for that.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:40 pm

Skar wrote: What if it doesn't return though? When it first rumored that DBS will end in March or that fans speculated that the Universe Survival saga will be the last, so many people on here were shutting them down saying "It's making too much money for that to happen"...but then it happened. Making a lot of money didn't stop it from ending and being replaced by Kitaro's new anniversary anime. Unless it's confirmed by Toei that it will continue, I think it's best not to jump to conclusions and assume it is 100% guaranteed. We don't even know how long Kitaro will run for but it could be anywhere from one to three years. Sooner or later the series has to come to an end. Some studios prefer to end a series on a high-note or at least some planned ending rather than keep milking it until it stops making money. The movie in December could be the last hurray for the franchise or it could be like BoG and the new series could begin from there. We have no idea at this point but I'm sure we'll learn more as more information about the movie is released.
Fans speculated that the Champa arc will be the last.
Fans also speculated that the Future Trunks arc will be the last as well.
I am sure if fans are calling every arc the last one then they will get it right eventually.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:40 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote: Fuji states that it isn’t the end of the series as a whole. Don’t take that as meaning that the anime will continue soon.
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/954086203044675584
The comment was in the context of Dragon Ball on TV.
Even without that comment your denial is completely irrational. The parties involved aren't going to leave this kind of money on the table, not in the current climate. Not even Toriyama leaving would stop them from bringing Dragon Ball back at this point.

Venus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Venus » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:46 pm

Something makes me think that they may show a hint, right at the end of episode 131 IF they plan to continue with Super/New series, which is likely to happen.
Last edited by Venus on Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:51 pm

Venus wrote:Something makes me think that they may show a hint, right at the end of episode 131 IF they plan to continue with Super/New series, at some point.
Possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if they stay tight lipped on the future of the series on TV until Jump Festa in December, emulating the announcement timing for Super alongside F's theatrical run.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:59 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:I literally just explained why Super could be ending despite it being so successful and money is a big part of that. Take a small hit now so the returns in the future are bigger and they have a sustainable production.
We have statements from Fuji TV saying this isn't the end of the series. The production committee doesn't care about ending on a high note, they aren't going to let this revival go to waste, not with this much money on the table.
Dragon Ball will continue.
If you don't mind, I'm going to wait until we get more information. What happens if it doesn't continue in 2019 and either Kitaro is still running or a different anime replaces it? Should we then assume that it's 100% guaranteed to continue in 2020 or 2021?
Whatever wrote:
Skar wrote: What if it doesn't return though? When it first rumored that DBS will end in March or that fans speculated that the Universe Survival saga will be the last, so many people on here were shutting them down saying "It's making too much money for that to happen"...but then it happened. Making a lot of money didn't stop it from ending and being replaced by Kitaro's new anniversary anime. Unless it's confirmed by Toei that it will continue, I think it's best not to jump to conclusions and assume it is 100% guaranteed. We don't even know how long Kitaro will run for but it could be anywhere from one to three years. Sooner or later the series has to come to an end. Some studios prefer to end a series on a high-note or at least some planned ending rather than keep milking it until it stops making money. The movie in December could be the last hurray for the franchise or it could be like BoG and the new series could begin from there. We have no idea at this point but I'm sure we'll learn more as more information about the movie is released.
Fans speculated that the Champa arc will be the last.
Fans also speculated that the Future Trunks arc will be the last as well.
I am sure if fans are calling every arc the last one then they will get it right eventually.
I think fans speculated that the Champa and Future Trunks sagas would be the last because they assumed they would lead into something bigger which they kinda did with the Universe Survival saga. The reason I speculated that it might be the last was because they brought back so many older characters and it's the highest stakes saga we've had with Goku facing an opponent stronger than a God of Destruction in a tournament with multiple universes on the line. Of course, it could still continue for several more sagas for all we know. The point is we don't know and no one should claim that it's guaranteed unless we have definitive proof.

darzap
Beyond Newbie

Post by darzap » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:00 pm

Venus wrote:Something makes me think that they may show a hint, right at the end of episode 131 IF they plan to continue with Super/New series, at some point.
What makes you think that? I think an announcement more close to the start of the next series would make more sense since they would already have certainty on the timing and the hype that would generate would have less time to decline until the series starts. They didn't announce Super very early, IIRC, but more closely to the start of the series.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:05 pm

darzap wrote:
What makes you think that? I think an announcement more close to the start of the next series would make more sense since they would already have certainty on the timing and the hype that would generate would have less time to decline until the series starts. They didn't announce Super very early, IIRC, but more closely to the start of the series.
Super was a rushed series to begin with, to be fair. The announcement of Super didn't come to terrible long after the series was greenlit.
Anyways, a hint wouldn't have to be anything big, a simple "To be continued" would be enough to assure people that the series isn't dead.

Venus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Venus » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:15 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:
darzap wrote:
Super was a rushed series to begin with, to be fair. The announcement of Super didn't come to terrible long after the series was greenlit.
Anyways, a hint wouldn't have to be anything big, a simple "To be continued" would be enough to assure people that the series isn't dead.
^ That.

There are many ways to hint about a possible sequel, and as I said above IF Toei wishes to continue in a couple of years, they might as well drop a small hint at the end, most likely I may be wrong, but Ep. 131 is airing soon anyway.

Edit: Kinda like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-OZRs3rai4

When GT ended, a new series for Dr. Slump got teased

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:21 pm

Venus wrote:
Edit: Kinda like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-OZRs3rai4

When GT ended, a new series for Dr. Slump got teased
That was just a next episode preview because the new Dr Slump started right after GT ended.

Venus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Venus » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:32 pm

My bad then :lol:

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:33 pm

darzap wrote:
Bullza wrote:Except they've been fighting Jiren since Episode 122.
So? They've been fighting Freeza for some time before Goku turned SSJ and they still had a proper long battle after that, they've been fighting Cell for some time, before Gohan started fighting him and some more before he turned SSJ2 and we had the true finale. They've been fighting Buu for a ridiculously long time and the finale on the world of the Kais still had like 9 episodes or sth. like that. The finale is Mastered Ultra Instinct Goku vs. Jiren and that will be pretty short compared to the fights we are used to.
Most of those fights were hugely dragged out. It's only considered rushed if you were specifically referring to the Mastered Ultra Instinct Goku fighting the full power Jiren. Why wouldn't one episode be enough?

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:34 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:
ArchedThunder wrote:
Kenneth La Torre wrote:Like I said, db is ending for good as we know so far. People should not expect a new series near the future. Probably movies and definitely games. Probably a few mangas like dragon ball heroes.
And like I said, the chance of Dragon Ball actually ending right now is zero. How many times to do I have to say it? Bandai, Toei and Shueisha don't hate money. This isn't the kind of success companies just let die in this day and age.
This is a business, not doing a new series following Kitaro would be completely idiotic and bad for business.
There will be a new series as soon as Kitaro ends, count on it.
Stop being delusional. Db ending is a thing, done, get it? Good. Unless stated otherwise. It would only hurt you more once db ends. And who cares about a business. It that is where they wanted the story to end, that’s where it would snd
Dragon Ball is not ending yet. The new movie releases December with Toriyama writing the script itself.
Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:51 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:To be honest, I never expected a new series to last this long and I have genuinely enjoyed DBS throughout it's entire run despite it's up and downs and I wouldn't change my experience from it for anything.

Whether DB comes back or not, we at least had a new series and I can only be entirely grateful for that.
Indeed. Some episodes were better than anything I've ever seen in DB. And to be honest, DB, DBZ and DBGT had tons of bad episodes. It's not like Super was the only one with wanting episodes.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:56 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:To be honest, I never expected a new series to last this long and I have genuinely enjoyed DBS throughout it's entire run despite it's up and downs and I wouldn't change my experience from it for anything.

Indeed. Some episodes were better than anything I've ever seen in DB. And to be honest, DB, DBZ and DBGT had tons of bad episodes. It's not like Super was the only one with wanting episodes.
Overall quality, Super is still below the original Dragon Ball. But I easily put it over Z outside of Namek and there are stuff in Super as you say, blows both series away.

I just wish Super had one ‘epic’ arc like Namek. Then I can easily say Super surpassed Z.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:04 pm

HeroR wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:

Overall quality, Super is still below the original Dragon Ball. But I easily put it over Z outside of Namek and there are stuff in Super as you say, blows both series away.

I just wish Super had one ‘epic’ arc like Namek. Then I can easily say Super surpassed Z.
What do you mean by an epic arc like namek? Like a planet sadala arc? Cause if that’s so, I agree. To bad we most likely won’t get to see that. Maybe a mini series down the line

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:06 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:

What do you mean by an epic arc like namek? Like a planet sadala arc? Cause if that’s so, I agree. To bad we most likely won’t get to see that. Maybe a mini series down the line
That would have been the icing on what was a beautiful cake.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:32 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:

I mean ‘epic’ in a sense of a huge story with many twists. Future Trunks Saga was great, but more like the King Piccolo Saga in scale. Universe Survival Saga while long is still a tourument at the end of the day. I wanted a big story arc similar to Namek with a compelling story like the Future Trunks Saga. It’s the one key thing missing from Super to me.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:44 pm

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:45 pm

HeroR wrote:
Kenneth La Torre wrote:
HeroR wrote:

I mean ‘epic’ in a sense of a huge story with many twists. Future Trunks Saga was great, but more like the King Piccolo Saga in scale. Universe Survival Saga while long is still a tourument at the end of the day. I wanted a big story arc similar to Namek with a compelling story like the Future Trunks Saga. It’s the one key thing missing from Super to me.
True. Tho the way Super has been since the beginning, an epic arc would be very unlikely, since they seem to have trouble guiding a story properly. I would like an arc about universe 6 or 11. Explore the most important universes. Universe 6 because it’s the twin universe, and universe 11 because the have the legendary warrior jiren. I would also would have lived a mini arc about hit. Such an interesting character, not explored to its full potential.

I guess we can only dream now