"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Noah » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:38 pm

perucho1990 wrote:Viara vs Androids for example, in episode 117 be got rekt by 17 and tonight both Androids were needed to take him down, like the encounter in episode 117 never happened.
You know, sometimes I think the writers of this show like to do things on their own without needing to be cohesive with others.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:39 am

After the disappointment that Universe 4 was, Universe 3 sure is being a good surprise. My only complaint is that Nigrishhi and Katopesla should be there.
Hopefully they eliminate someone.

As for C17, I'm still expecting him to do this before getting eliminated:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:55 am

Noah wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:Viara vs Androids for example, in episode 117 be got rekt by 17 and tonight both Androids were needed to take him down, like the encounter in episode 117 never happened.
You know, sometimes I think the writers of this show like to do things on their own without needing to be cohesive with others.
While I definitely agree with this statement, the androids were talking as they were holding back so I don't think this instance applies. Also 17 didn't damage the robot in 117 he just incapacitated him for long enough to get away.
But ya, I don't think all the writers are on the same page.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:51 am

Viara got turned into modern art in episode 117, then in episode 120 17 talks to him like he never encountered him before.

Btw, I dont know if it just me, but Goku works very well as a support character rather than being the main focus imo.

If Toei wants to include Goku in every single episode, then giving him the support role isnt a bad idea, because he doesnt get to steal the spotlight from other characters and by the time the main event hits, Goku fighting in it means something.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:02 am

perucho1990 wrote:Viara got turned into modern art in episode 117, then in episode 120 17 talks to him like he never encountered him before.
Viara's only perk is his defense. He wasn't damaged at all in 117 he was just temporarily incapacitated. And like I mentioned above 17 and 18 were holding back on him at first in 120.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:18 am

The encounter between 17 and Viara in 117 was weird anyway. Like, it was pretty much all about the Androids v Universe 2, but they needed an excuse to get 17 away from 18, so they just randomly had Viara show up for like two seconds to ambush him.

Caulifla taking out the three combiners back in 112 makes a bit more sense given she caught them by surprise. But it does highlight the weirdness of the format where the C-List fighters are kind of interchangeable until they need to be relevant.

Katopesla's a good example of that; we saw him getting into scrapes with a lot of random people throughout the tournament and not doing anything of note. Then when it was time for him to "debut" in episode 114, he suddenly had this hammy personality and a Kamen Rider gimmick that he carried through the rest of his appearances. Like someone flicked a switch that turned on his personality.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:35 am

Kataphrut wrote:The encounter between 17 and Viara in 117 was weird anyway. Like, it was pretty much all about the Androids v Universe 2, but they needed an excuse to get 17 away from 18, so they just randomly had Viara show up for like two seconds to ambush him.

Caulifla taking out the three combiners back in 112 makes a bit more sense given she caught them by surprise. But it does highlight the weirdness of the format where the C-List fighters are kind of interchangeable until they need to be relevant.

Katopesla's a good example of that; we saw him getting into scrapes with a lot of random people throughout the tournament and not doing anything of note. Then when it was time for him to "debut" in episode 114, he suddenly had this hammy personality and a Kamen Rider gimmick that he carried through the rest of his appearances. Like someone flicked a switch that turned on his personality.
It is a battle royal and that was one of the few times that an episode captured that spirit.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:29 am

Kataphrut wrote:Most exciting thing about the next ep preview isn't the whole group fighting, but that Freeza actually seems to be exerting himself. He's current gold medalist in the Most Bone-Idle ToP Fighter awards currently (with Jiren taking the silver and Toppo the bronze, which actually lines up with their skin colours, funnily enough), it'll be good to see him take action.
True lol

Freeza so far has been the single most dominant force in this tournament, whenever he has felt the need to get his hands dirty. Even Jiren had trouble with UI Goku and Hit.
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:40 am

apex_pretador wrote:
Kataphrut wrote:Most exciting thing about the next ep preview isn't the whole group fighting, but that Freeza actually seems to be exerting himself. He's current gold medalist in the Most Bone-Idle ToP Fighter awards currently (with Jiren taking the silver and Toppo the bronze, which actually lines up with their skin colours, funnily enough), it'll be good to see him take action.
True lol

Freeza so far has been the single most dominant force in this tournament, whenever he has felt the need to get his hands dirty. Even Jiren had trouble with UI Goku and Hit.
Because he's only bothered to fight fodders.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:46 am

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
apex_pretador wrote:
True lol

I can't help but think that Freeza's performance will make or break the arc. It feels like he's being saved as best for last, but woah boy if that 'best' won't live up to everyone's expectation.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:34 am

Michsi wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:
apex_pretador wrote: True lol

I can't help but think that Freeza's performance will make or break the arc. It feels like he's being saved as best for last, but woah boy if that 'best' won't live up to everyone's expectation.
I agree. It will a huge waste to go through all that trouble with him only to waste him as a cheap KO by Jiren (which is something very possible to happen).

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:51 am

Nickolaidas wrote:
Michsi wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote: Because he's only bothered to fight fodders.
I agree. It will a huge waste to go through all that trouble with him only to waste him as a cheap KO by Jiren (which is something very possible to happen).
It'd be hilarious, guy thinks he's so smart only to get owned by Jiren.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:59 am

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:
Michsi wrote:
Well, Frieza doesn't have any delusions about beating Jiren. He has stated again and again that Goku is his instrument in this Tournament. I can't help but be curious as to what will happen though.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:19 am

So this is actually the longest saga in Dragon Ball now right? As far as so hilarious sagas go, it's gonna end up being over 50 episodes surely.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:26 am

Nickolaidas wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote:
Well, Frieza doesn't have any delusions about beating Jiren. He has stated again and again that Goku is his instrument in this Tournament. I can't help but be curious as to what will happen though.
It's the mystery surrounding his true intentions that makes him so intriguing, but if it pulls a Lost on us and the resolution to that mystery ends up being a dud ,it might retroactively change everyone's opinion about his addition to the team, which has been hailed as the best thing up until now.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:26 am

Bullza wrote:So this is actually the longest saga in Dragon Ball now right? As far as so hilarious sagas go, it's gonna end up being over 50 episodes surely.
Not even closed. The Android/Cell Saga was around 65 episodes and the Buu Saga was over 90.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:27 am

Bullza wrote:So this is actually the longest saga in Dragon Ball now right? As far as so hilarious sagas go, it's gonna end up being over 50 episodes surely.
No, the Freeza Saga and the Majin Boo one had at least 90 episodes.
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:29 am

Freeza arc is about 70 episodes and the Boo arc is close to 100.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:30 am

No I didn't mean the overall arc but as individual sagas so the whole Frieza arc was split into the Namek, Captain Ginyu and Frieza sagas.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:32 am

YonedgeHP wrote: No, the Freeza Saga and the Majin Boo one had at least 90 episodes.
Only Buu Saga had 90 episodes. The Freeza Saga around 70 episodes.
Bullza wrote:No I didn't mean the overall arc but as individual sagas so the whole Frieza arc was split into the Namek, Captain Ginyu and Frieza sagas.
That is how Funi split the saga. It's all just the Freeza Saga in Japan.
Last edited by HeroR on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote: