"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Olympian
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Olympian » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:08 am

Oh look, another only Saiyans should be relevant post.

And "predictable" was in it.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:01 am

Kaiosama wrote:Piccolo fusing with the U6 Namekians would be garbage writing and so predictable.
What? How does Piccolo merging with other Namekuseijin is predictable? Just because some random people on an American forum said that beforehand? I'm definitely not expecting Piccolo to fuse, and hell I don't want it to happen. Piccolo should get a transformation instead, that's what should happen.
Kaiosama wrote:He doesn't deserve to be relevant.
Why not?
Kaiosama wrote:Namekians aren't Saiyans.
So what? What is this? Only Saiyans are allowed to get their golden moment now?
Kaiosama wrote:They aren't naturally gifted like them.
We don't know that. Namekuseijins are divided by those who aren't fighters but know stuff (they come from the Dragon clan) and there are fighters Namekuseijins. The latter is born to fight, they don't know stuff like those who come from the Dragon clan, but it's in their nature battling. The most powerful Namekusejin back in the day had a 42.000 power level, that's higher Toei's Saiyans (see: Bardock's TV Special), whose the highest power level were about 10.000 and then there was kid Vegeta, between 10.000 and 18.000 power level, Saiyan saga and half of Freeza saga Vegeta (wait, does Vegeta end Freeza saga as being stronger than Nail!? Man, the rant would be real if Dragon Ball had finished right there with Vegeta being weaker than him!).
Kaiosama wrote:It literally makes no sense to give Piccolo another asspull.
Why not? Dragon Ball Super has a lot of asspull, and I mean... A lot. One more will do no harm. An asspull to Piccolo will certainly bring more befenits/be more positive since we're talking about a character that desperately needs a power-up more than any other Super Saiyan/Goku transformations.
Kaiosama wrote:The guy should have retired from fighting long ago.
He is a fighter and he is just four years older than Gohan, the only one who can say when he should retire is... Guess what? Himself! (and going by Dragon Ball Online, you'll have to put up with him for over 200 years!).
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:14 am

Grimlock wrote:Namekuseijins
Why say this when you're also using "Saiyans"?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:15 am

Don't know.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:40 am

Grimlock wrote:
Kaiosama wrote:Piccolo fusing with the U6 Namekians would be garbage writing and so predictable.
What? How does Piccolo merging with other Namekuseijin is predictable? Just because some random people on an American forum said that beforehand? I'm definitely not expecting Piccolo to fuse, and hell I don't want it to happen. Piccolo should get a transformation instead, that's what should happen.
Kaiosama wrote:He doesn't deserve to be relevant.
Why not?
Kaiosama wrote:Namekians aren't Saiyans.
So what? What is this? Only Saiyans are allowed to get their golden moment now?
Kaiosama wrote:They aren't naturally gifted like them.
We don't know that. Namekuseijins are divided by those who aren't fighters but know stuff (they come from the Dragon clan) and there are fighters Namekuseijins. The latter is born to fight, they don't know stuff like those who come from the Dragon clan, but it's in their nature battling. The most powerful Namekusejin back in the day had a 42.000 power level, that's higher Toei's Saiyans (see: Bardock's TV Special), whose the highest power level were about 10.000 and then there was kid Vegeta, between 10.000 and 18.000 power level, Saiyan saga and half of Freeza saga Vegeta (wait, does Vegeta end Freeza saga as being stronger than Nail!? Man, the rant would be real if Dragon Ball had finished right there with Vegeta being weaker than him!).
Kaiosama wrote:It literally makes no sense to give Piccolo another asspull.
Why not? Dragon Ball Super has a lot of asspull, and I mean... A lot. One more will do no harm. An asspull to Piccolo will certainly bring more befenits/be more positive since we're talking about a character that desperately needs a power-up more than any other Super Saiyan/Goku transformations.
Kaiosama wrote:The guy should have retired from fighting long ago.
He is a fighter and he is just four years older than Gohan, the only one who can say when he should retire is... Guess what? Himself! (and going by Dragon Ball Online, you'll have to put up with him for over 200 years!).
How come Piccolo wasn't able to keep up with the Saiyans after the Cell Saga? As soon as they went into the RoST, he was far outclassed. He had no fighting role in the Buu Arc and ran away from Shin. Yeah, he got a recent buff to put him on par with SSJ2 Gohan, but he doesn't have God ki and has no feasible way to catch up to Vegeta and Goku again unless he does Namekian Fusion. That's why it's predictable. Namekians don't have the same potential as Super Saiyans. It's how Toriyama wrote it man.

Kaiosama
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kaiosama » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:43 am

Olympian wrote:Oh look, another only Saiyans should be relevant post.

And "predictable" was in it.
It's how it's written. Piccolo cannot keep up with the Saiyans by his own strength, he's always needed Namekian Fusion. That capped out in the Cell Saga and he was far outclassed after the Saiyans went into the RoST. Sorry man, this is the Saiyan show and it's been that way since the end of the Cell Saga.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:49 am

All I'm going to say to the discussion above is that nothing is set in stone in the DB world and it's up to the author to decide who gets what and how much. There is enough outcry among the fans for the writers to consider a power-up for Piccolo, and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't limit themselves with "only saiyans have true potential" if they really wanted to make him stronger. Either way, from what I remember the average namekian warrior was stronger than the average saiyan (like Radditz) so there's that.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:14 am

Michsi wrote:All I'm going to say to the discussion above is that nothing is set in stone in the DB world and it's up to the author to decide who gets what and how much. There is enough outcry among the fans for the writers to consider a power-up for Piccolo, and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't limit themselves with "only saiyans have true potential" if they really wanted to make him stronger. Either way, from what I remember the average namekian warrior was stronger than the average saiyan (like Radditz) so there's that.
Well, fans have been outcrying for decades and yet Piccolo is relatively low power-wise despite the boost he got his saga and the U6 Namekians despite being the last men standing doesn't seem to inspire much confident in Champa.

This is not saying that only Saiyans should get power-ups, but they seemed to be the only characters to get giant spikes, which I think where a lot of the resentment towards Kale and Cali come from.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:24 am

HeroR wrote:
Michsi wrote:All I'm going to say to the discussion above is that nothing is set in stone in the DB world and it's up to the author to decide who gets what and how much. There is enough outcry among the fans for the writers to consider a power-up for Piccolo, and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't limit themselves with "only saiyans have true potential" if they really wanted to make him stronger. Either way, from what I remember the average namekian warrior was stronger than the average saiyan (like Radditz) so there's that.
Well, fans have been outcrying for decades and yet Piccolo is relatively low power-wise despite the boost he got his saga and the U6 Namekians despite being the last men standing doesn't seem to inspire much confident in Champa.

This is not saying that only Saiyans should get power-ups, but they seemed to be the only characters to get giant spikes, which I think where a lot of the resentment towards Kale and Cali come from.
The way the show has treated characters that are not Saiyans makes many people especially causal fans to that Saiyans only matter and that everyone is a waste of space.

In anything if a character is strong and always getting better then they will always be liked by people who only like strong characters and there is many people like this. This starts when people are kids as kids want to associated with the best or most successful so they can brag to their friends and everyone else.

It is going to very hard for this series to change even a little going forward.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:39 am

HeroR wrote:

Well, Super is also the first series we got since GT, so decades has more to do with there having been no DB. Vegeta had been stuck in SS2 for decades too until ROF came along. Super has given Piccolo a fighting role such as it is, so there is still hope. The directors seem to be somewhat aware of it.

I'm just saying it's not completely outside the realm of possibility and DB sure as hell doesn't seem to be the sort of story to bother with power level consistency. And it doesn't have to happen in this arc either. Just give him a reason to spend ten years in ROSAT and there you have it. Ten years means nothing compared to an average namekian's life span anyway.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:50 am

Michsi wrote:
HeroR wrote:

Well, Super is also the first series we got since GT, so decades has more to do with there having been no DB. Vegeta had been stuck in SS2 for decades too until ROF came along. Super has given Piccolo a fighting role such as it is, so there is still hope. The directors seem to be somewhat aware of it.

I'm just saying it's not completely outside the realm of possibility and DB sure as hell doesn't seem to be the sort of story to bother with power level consistency. And it doesn't have to happen in this arc either. Just give him a reason to spend ten years in ROSAT and there you have it. Ten years means nothing compared to an average namekian's life span anyway.
It is only a matter of time before he gets one becuase if Toriyama can give 17 a power up then I doubt Piccolo will continue to be ignored.

If some people get their way then Piccolo could even get his power up in 2 episodes. I really want them to expand Saonel and Pilina though so I definitely hope they stay.

What I want is for him to go off and train with Saonel and Pilina as we assume they have got as strong as they have without fusion. It can only help Piccolo.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:56 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:
The way the show has treated characters that are not Saiyans makes many people especially causal fans to that Saiyans only matter and that everyone is a waste of space.

In anything if a character is strong and always getting better then they will always be liked by people who only like strong characters and there is many people like this. This starts when people are kids as kids want to associated with the best or most successful so they can brag to their friends and everyone else.

That is assuming if that series want to changed. Given what they did to the U6 Saiyans compared to the U6 Namekians, I don't think they really care.
Michsi wrote:

There have been other Dragon Ball stuff before Super. We had the 2008 special which brought the cast back, which focused heavily on the Saiyans. We then got EOB which was about Super Saiyan Bardock. We then got an OVA of Destroy all Saiyans. We finally got Battle of Gods, both the original and the final version focused heavily on Saiyans to the point of promoting them to godhood. Then we got Resurrection 'F', which gave focused to Freeza, Goku, and Vegeta. Nothing before Super pushed anything but the Saiyans. Vegeta being stuck as Super Saiyan 2 is a minor thing considering.

Super does used power level consistency despite popular belief. Which is why you don't have stuff like Roshi fighting Hit or Piccolo fighting anyone mid-tier (by mid-tier I mean someone around Super Saiyan Goku and Vegeta's level). And, no offense, but we always get the 'maybe next arc' with Piccolo and Piccolo didn't even want to train three years in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber with Goku and Vegeta. If Piccolo isn't do anything in a tournament where there should be plenty of people within his weight class or can fight by outsmarting them (like Roshi and Krillin), I don't see much hope for him.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:06 am

HeroR wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:

That is assuming if that series want to changed. Given what they did to the U6 Saiyans compared to the U6 Namekians, I don't think they really care.
Saonel and Pilina are not finished yet and can still bring something.

I have been thinking that they probably have some power or technique to show because that is what the second half seems to be about

This includes

SS2 Cabba
Fusion to male Kefla
Ribrianne transformation
The bugs which we know will have special abilities
The Robots which seem very likely to form a Megazord

The Namekians will look out of place if they don't have some sort of increased power or some unique techniques to use.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:09 am

namekiansaiyan wrote: Saonel and Pilina are not finished yet and can still bring something.

I have been thinking that they probably have some power or technique to show because that is what the second half seems to be about

This includes

SS2 Cabba
Fusion to male Kefla
Ribrianne transformation

The Namekians will look out of place if they don't have some sort of increased power or some unique techniques to use.
If they can't even overwhelmed base form Gohan, there isn't much to say about them. I mean, Super didn't even give them a personality to latch to other than, 'they have good teamwork'. Some of the one-time fodder have my character than them.

The only thing we know so far is that they will be getting desperate. Which could lead to something interest.....which I can't say I'm betting on since so far the U6 Namekians have been wallpaper.
Kanassa wrote:

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:10 am

HeroR wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:

Saiyans are definitely a surer bet if popularity is the deciding factor, so namekians outclassing the first saiyan females, and a Broly lookalike no less, wasn't going to happen. It's already odd that they're the last ones in the ring from U6, so I'm hoping 118 will at least be entertaining if nothing else.

I keep saying low expectations is the way to go, but considering how much I'm excited for 118 due to the staff line-up I'm failing at taking my own advice.

I'm not saying Piccolo getting a power-up would definitely happen, I'm just saying it's not impossible. He's is the only other character besides Goku and Vegeta that seems to live only for fighting and trains constantly, so if we're going by who deserves to be in the top tier class, I think he is one that does.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:20 am

HeroR wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote: Saonel and Pilina are not finished yet and can still bring something.

This includes

SS2 Cabba
Fusion to male Kefla
Ribrianne transformation

If they can't even overwhelmed base form Gohan, there isn't much to say about them. I mean, Super didn't even give them a personality to latch to other than, 'they have good teamwork'. Some of the one-time fodder have my character than them.

The only thing we know so far is that they will be getting desperate. Which could lead to something interest.....which I can't say I'm betting on since so far the U6 Namekians have been wallpaper.
You can't say Base Gohan is sronger than them and I am not going to argue that here.

Episode 118 will surely get rid of your no 'personality' with them as the whole episode is dedicated to them.

No summary mentioned Ribrianne getting another transformation until the Next Episode Preview so they could show some unique technique or something. Universe 6 can't go out with an average fight.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:22 am

Michsi wrote:
Saiyans are definitely a surer bet if popularity is the deciding factor, so namekians outclassing the first saiyan females, and a Broly lookalike no less, wasn't going to happen. It's already odd that they're the last ones in the ring from U6, so I'm hoping 118 will at least be entertaining if nothing else.

I keep saying low expectations is the way to go, but considering how much I'm excited for 118 due to the staff line-up I'm failing at taking my own advice.

I'm not saying Piccolo getting a power-up would definitely happen, I'm just saying it's not impossible. He's is the only other character besides Goku and Vegeta that seems to live only for fighting and trains constantly, so if we're going by who deserves to be in the top tier class, I think he is one that does.
This isn't about 'outclassing'.

For example, in the U6 tournament Cabba got equal billing with everyone from U6 with Hit getting the primary spotlight despite Cabba being a new Saiyans from a different universe. Even in this tournament where most of U6 focused went to Cali and Kale, we got development from Frost, Hit, and even some Magetta and Botomo action. The U6 Namekians were nowhere to be seen until a blink and you miss moment in 110 and didn't fully show up until 111. After that, they were more or less background noise to Cali, Kale, and Kelfa. The fact that Champa was okay with Hit going out since he still had Cabba, Kale, and Cali, but is freaked out when he only has the Namekians left shows that he doesn't have much faith in them, which hurts their characters. In comparison, he was certain that Hit could win the entire tournament back in the Champa Saga despite Vegeta going on a three win streak.

Most grinding of all, for me, is their utterly lack of personality outside of their teamwork. Even freaking Rota had a personality even if it was a gag.

And as a FYI, Tien also lives for fighting and always trains according to Toriyama. We know how that story ended.
namekiansaiyan wrote:
You can't say Base Gohan is sronger than them and I am not going to argue that here.

Episode 118 will surely get rid of your no 'personality' with them as the whole episode is dedicated to them.

No summary mentioned Ribrianne getting another transformation until the Next Episode Preview so they could show some unique technique or something. Universe 6 can't go out with an average fight.
Base form Gohan has been performing fine against them and even took out one of their arms just by stomping on it. At best, they're even with base form Gohan. Maybe there is more once they get desperate, but that is where their power stands at the moment.

And 118 also have parts devoted to U2. How much is a guess, but it really depends on how 117 ends.
Kanassa wrote:

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:33 am

HeroR wrote: This isn't about 'outclassing'.

For example, in the U6 tournament Cabba got equal billing with everyone from U6 with Hit getting the primary spotlight despite Cabba being a new Saiyans from a different universe. Even in this tournament where most of U6 focused went to Cali and Kale, we got development from Frost, Hit, and even some Magetta and Botomo action. The U6 Namekians were nowhere to be seen until a blink and you miss moment in 110 and didn't fully show up until 111. After that, they were more or less background noise to Cali, Kale, and Kelfa. The fact that Champa was okay with Hit going out since he still had Cabba, Kale, and Cali, but is freaked out when he only has the Namekians left shows that he doesn't have much faith in them, which hurts their characters. In comparison, he was certain that Hit could win the entire tournament back in the Champa Saga despite Vegeta going on a three win streak.

Most grinding of all, for me, is their utterly lack of personality outside of their teamwork. Even freaking Rota had a personality even if it was a gag.

And as a FYI, Tien also lives for fighting and always trains according to Toriyama. We know how that story ended.
Tien is another character that got the short end, but he has been more or less put on the bench since the saiyan arc. He's also owner of a school, so he has that to focus on. Still he think he deserves more, but if we're also taking popularity and iconic presence into account, than I'd dare to say Tien doesn't hold a candle to Piccolo.

As far as personality for U6 Namekians goes, we have yet to see what they'll do with them. One episode is enough to completely change the perception towards a character, it just has to be used effectively. I for one have enjoyed the short skirmishes we've seen them in. Also, I'm still waiting for them to put Saonel's somewhat more known VA to good use, otherwise I don't understand why they'd go out of their way to hire him. I know he has a similar timbre to that of Piccolo's VA and maybe they wanted to go full on clone version with him, but still.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:42 am

Michsi wrote:
Tien is another character that got the short end, but he has been more or less put on the bench since the saiyan arc. He's also owner of a school, so he has that to focus on. Still he think he deserves more, but if we're also taking popularity and iconic presence into account, than I'd dare to say Tien doesn't hold a candle to Piccolo.

As far as personality for U6 Namekians goes, we have yet to see what they'll do with them. One episode is enough to completely change the perception towards a character, it just has to be used effectively. I for one have enjoyed the short skirmishes we've seen them in. Also, I'm still waiting for them to put Saonel's somewhat more known VA to good use, otherwise I don't understand why they'd go out of their way to hire him. I know he has a similar timbre to that of Piccolo's VA and maybe they wanted to go full on clone version with him, but still.
Owning a school would give you more reason to train and stay in shape since you're teaching others your craft. At least it did for my teachers. And we were talking about people who kept training so Piccolo deserved a power-up. I just wanted to point out that the same can easily apply to Tien, who got outshine by people coming out of retirement.
Kanassa wrote:

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:44 am

I just hope that Saonel and Pilina in episode 118.

Make both Piccolo and Gohan go full power
Talk some more between themselves and Piccolo
Expand their movesets
Have a unique attack or ability
Say something about Universe 6 Namekians in general.