"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shaqazooloo
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Shaqazooloo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:59 pm

perucho1990 wrote:Ah my bad, i assumed most DB fans were into OP.

The thing about King Ryu is that he ignores PLs(he wrote Blue Goku vs Krillin episode, episode 101 which had Kale vs Goku). His best episode by far was 95.

I expect Roshi vs Cawy being a homage to Nam vs Ranfan, the way Cawy was taking off her clothes in the PV was exactly like how Ranfan was doing and Roshi blushing in a more perverted way than Nam did.
Is that why Krillin was treated seriously in his recruitment but made out to be a joke in the tournament? Different writing styles? Because Toshio wrote episode 99 I think, which seemed so inconsistent with episode 84. It was quite serious and told a good story, but episode 99 was more played for laughs and made Krillin seem pathetic. Sorry, i'm asking mainly because ep 99 really bugs me and I want to understand what went wrong.
Favorite Dragon Ball Characters
1. Waluigi
2. Whis
3. Evil Buu

Dislikes: Playing by the rules

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:05 pm

Shaqazooloo wrote:
Is that why Krillin was treated seriously in his recruitment but made out to be a joke in the tournament? Different writing styles? Because Toshio wrote episode 99 I think, which seemed so inconsistent with episode 84. It was quite serious and told a good story, but episode 99 was more played for laughs and made Krillin seem pathetic. Sorry, i'm asking mainly because ep 99 really bugs me and I want to understand what went wrong.
Toshio mentioned on twitter he just follows what Toriyama tells him, so anything blame Toriyama for wanting Krillin to be a joke. Although King Ryu was questionable in episode 101 besides Kale vs Goku, it was 18 acting out of character.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:12 pm

Shaqazooloo wrote:

The thing about King Ryu is that he ignores PLs(he wrote Blue Goku vs Krillin episode, episode 101 which had Kale vs Goku). His best episode by far was 95.

I expect Roshi vs Cawy being a homage to Nam vs Ranfan, the way Cawy was taking off her clothes in the PV was exactly like how Ranfan was doing and Roshi blushing in a more perverted way than Nam did.
King Ryu didn't ignore power level since in the episode, it was said by everyone that Krillin stood no chance against Goku. Goku went Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan purely to test how Krillin would react to a foe that he can never defeat despite how clever he is.

Krillin was treated seriously in the tournament since he eliminated three people, one by himself, by being his clever self. He let his guard down and got blindsided out of the ring. His ring-out was played for laughs, but not his actual fights except for the sinky shoe.

Kale vs Goku also doesn't ignore power levels. Kale is just that strong, but people been trying to downplay her feats.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:34 pm

HeroR wrote:[quoteGoku went Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan purely to test how Krillin would react to a foe that he can never defeat despite how clever he is.
And he decided to go for a beam battle against such an individual..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:44 pm

Ki Breaker wrote: And he decided to go for a beam battle against such an individual..
And your point? He has enough control not to kill Krillin despite popular belief. He managed to have sex with Chi-Chi as a Super Saiyan and not kill her.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Shaqazooloo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shaqazooloo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:50 pm

HeroR wrote:
Shaqazooloo wrote:

King Ryu didn't ignore power level since in the episode, it was said by everyone that Krillin stood no chance against Goku. Goku went Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan purely to test how Krillin would react to a foe that he can never defeat despite how clever he is.

Krillin was treated seriously in the tournament since he eliminated three people, one by himself, by being his clever self. He let his guard down and got blindsided out of the ring. His ring-out was played for laughs, but not his actual fights except for the sinky shoe.

Kale vs Goku also doesn't ignore power levels. Kale is just that strong, but people been trying to downplay her feats.
I know Goku was just testing how Krillin would react in that episode. I sort of thought it was kinda weird how people reacted to that, I saw it as really good story telling, forshadowing and character development. The problem for me though is that most of it got thrown out the window in episode 99.

imo the episode just made him look like a joke, and he really didn't seem that impressive. After ep 84 I was expecting atleast 1 good fight from Krillin in the tournament, but all we got was 2 assists and a stinky shoe...

I kinda hope that it did ignore power levels, because that would mean she essentially has a power-up that makes her God tier right out of the box.

Also i'm not sure whether you were replying to me or the other poster...
1. Waluigi
2. Whis
3. Evil Buu

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:57 pm

Shaqazooloo wrote:
imo the episode just made him look like a joke
You keep using that word, I don't think it means what you think it means
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:00 pm

Shaqazooloo wrote:
I know Goku was just testing how Krillin would react in that episode. I sort of thought it was kinda weird how people reacted to that, I saw it as really good story telling, forshadowing and character development. The problem for me though is that most of it got thrown out the window in episode 99.

imo the episode just made him look like a joke, and he really didn't seem that impressive. After ep 84 I was expecting atleast 1 good fight from Krillin in the tournament, but all we got was 2 assists and a stinky shoe...

I kinda hope that it did ignore power levels, because that would mean she essentially has a power-up that makes her God tier right out of the box.

I was mostly responding to perucho1990 when they said that King Ryu ignored power levels and cited Goku vs. Krillin when the episode explained what happened. It's a personal pet peeve of mines.

Krillin's development wasn't thrown out because we saw him being clever and he rung out a superior opponent by thinking fast. Now you may think what he did was a gag, but it got the job done. And, he wasn't treated as a joke until he got rung out. Before then, he fought all his battle and refused to run at 18's request despite fighting someone who was superior to him and 18.

Kale has her own Super Saiyan form that has proven to be extremely powerful. It is no different that any other Super Saiyan form like Super Saiyan God or Super Saiyan Rage.
Kanassa wrote:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:11 pm

If Roshi survives using the Mafuba does that prove that he's gotten a lot stronger? I always assumed the only reason he died when Tenshinhan and Trunks didn't was simply because he was so weak at the time it drained all his energy. That shouldn't be a problem with a strong character.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:19 pm

Roronoa-pt wrote:
Michsi wrote:Wait...is he allowed to use that tiny bottle for the mafuba? I mean, it's not a weapon, but it's also not part of his body.
My understanding is that the tiny bottle is seen in some Roshi's flashback. The scene looks "grey".
Ah, that might explain it. Same sandals in the grey scene, but the pants seem different. He might have trained to use the mafuba to the point where he doesn't require a container and can simply trap his opponent in the twirl and then fling them off the arena.

Either way, not really looking forward to this episode.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:23 pm

HeroR wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote: And he decided to go for a beam battle against such an individual..
And your point? He has enough control not to kill Krillin despite popular belief. He managed to have sex with Chi-Chi as a Super Saiyan and not kill her.
My point is, Goku went blue to see how Krillin will react against an individual in such a high level of power, not how Krillin would react against him..
Goku won't seriously injure him but he is counting on the other guy Goku is preparing him for to do the same?
Deciding to go for a power battle where you are clearly outmatched is a bad idea among bad ideas...
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Shaqazooloo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shaqazooloo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:26 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Shaqazooloo wrote:
I guess it'd be better if I said the episode made him look a little bit silly or unimpressive. I mean, I don't think he was a freaking court jester :lol: I just think they made him look below mediocre and didn't take him seriously. Sorry for the exaggeration.
1. Waluigi
2. Whis
3. Evil Buu

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:29 pm

Shaqazooloo wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
Shaqazooloo wrote:
I guess it'd be better if I said the episode made him look a little bit silly or unimpressive. I mean, I don't think he was a freaking court jester :lol: I just think they made him look below mediocre and didn't take him seriously. Sorry for the exaggeration.
They took him completely seriously and treated him as a competent combatant, the only time you could say they didn't was the next episode where 18 and 17 belittle him for daring to be caught in a surprise attack.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:50 pm

HeroR wrote:
I was mostly responding to perucho1990 when they said that King Ryu ignored power levels and cited Goku vs. Krillin when the episode explained what happened. It's a personal pet peeve of mines.

Krillin's development wasn't thrown out because we saw him being clever and he rung out a superior opponent by thinking fast. Now you may think what he did was a gag, but it got the job done. And, he wasn't treated as a joke until he got rung out. Before then, he fought all his battle and refused to run at 18's request despite fighting someone who was superior to him and 18.

Kale has her own Super Saiyan form that has proven to be extremely powerful. It is no different that any other Super Saiyan form like Super Saiyan God or Super Saiyan Rage.
I can accept Krillin being tested vs Blue Goku due to the Ki control and as mentioned even by Toshio that Goku wante to test everyone in Team U7.

But the thing with Kale was different, it was very controversial and some fans found Kale withstanding the kamehameha to be very forced and it was Toeis attempt to make her relevant and merchandise purposes.

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:59 pm

Shaqazooloo wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Shaqazooloo wrote:

The problem is this very thing. You cant ignore power levels and give a character like Krillin screen time thats meaningless when it doesnt amount to anything when it actually counts. Its clear Toei knew Akiras elimination order and decided to throw a bone to Krillin. Krillin wasnt eliminated for laughs. He was eliminated because he is the most likely to go. He stopped training for 12 years he has re-occurring confidence issues. Has never come up with a strategy. So the recent narative of hes good at that is false. It seems you will be waiting a long time for him to be relevant if you dont consider what you already got relevant.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:07 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
HeroR wrote:

I can accept Krillin being tested vs Blue Goku due to the Ki control and as mentioned even by Toshio that Goku wante to test everyone in Team U7.

But the thing with Kale was different, it was very controversial and some fans found Kale withstanding the kamehameha to be very forced and it was Toeis attempt to make her relevant and merchandise purposes.
The thing that some people are annoyed with Kale and also Caulifla is the fact they are still in the tournament. How did Jiren not knock Kale out and how has not one of the 30+ fighters from other universes not knocked them out yet.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:14 pm

precita wrote:If Roshi survives using the Mafuba does that prove that he's gotten a lot stronger? I always assumed the only reason he died when Tenshinhan and Trunks didn't was simply because he was so weak at the time it drained all his energy. That shouldn't be a problem with a strong character.
Tien never got to used the Evil Containment Wave in the manga outside of practice.
Ki Breaker wrote:
HeroR wrote:
My point is, Goku went blue to see how Krillin will react against an individual in such a high level of power, not how Krillin would react against him..
Goku won't seriously injure him but he is counting on the other guy Goku is preparing him for to do the same?
Deciding to go for a power battle where you are clearly outmatched is a bad idea among bad ideas...
Krillin chose to fight instead of backed down. That's all that scene meant. Besides, it was Krillin who decided to fire a Kamehameha.
Last edited by HeroR on Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:16 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:
HeroR wrote:

The thing that some people are annoyed with Kale and also Caulifla is the fact they are still in the tournament. How did Jiren not knock Kale out and how has not one of the 30+ fighters from other universes not knocked them out yet.
I'd like to think that after this Roshi episode, Frieza will take care of them in the not too distant future.
How i predict the tournament will end:

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:20 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
HeroR wrote:

Fans not liking a character being strong isn't ignoring power levels. There's nothing that happened before that suggested that Kale wasn't that powerful outside of Cali deflecting one of her blasts as a Super Saiyan 2.
Kanassa wrote:

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:22 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Because Plot shield is so huge Erza, Batman would be jealous of them.

The Saiyan Trio will have 1 more fight and that will be it for them in this arc, Cabba kinda needs to do something as relevant as the girls did.