"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:05 pm

kinisking wrote: I know, but if the manga doesn't do something then it's almost definitely not from Toriyama and it feels less real to me. It doesn't matter completely but they'res a small part of me that'll be dissapointed if the prelims aren't from Toriyama.
So it needs Toryama's blessing to be good or real? Since when does it comes from Toriyama automatically means its good?
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:39 pm

HeroR wrote:
kinisking wrote: I know, but if the manga doesn't do something then it's almost definitely not from Toriyama and it feels less real to me. It doesn't matter completely but they'res a small part of me that'll be dissapointed if the prelims aren't from Toriyama.
So it needs Toryama's blessing to be good or real? Since when does it comes from Toriyama automatically means its good?
I agree. Needing Toriyama's pen to judge something positively is a really dumb standard.
Retired.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:42 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
HeroR wrote:
I agree. Needing Toriyama's pen to judge something positively is a really dumb standard.
I never said that it wasn't going to be good. I just said that a small part of me would be dissapointed if it wasn't because it would make it feel less real to me. I never implied in any way that it wouldn't be enjoyable to me if it wasn't made by Toriyama.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:43 pm

kinisking wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
HeroR wrote:
I never said that it wasn't going to be good. I just said that a small part of me would be dissapointed if it wasn't because it would make it feel less real to me. I never implied in any way that it wouldn't be enjoyable to me if it wasn't made by Toriyama.
I feel the same about the "realness" of it. Just because it doesn't have Toriyama's pen doesn't mean it never happened in any sense.
Retired.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:46 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
kinisking wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: I agree. Needing Toriyama's pen to judge something positively is a really dumb standard.
I feel the same about the "realness" of it. Just because it doesn't have Toriyama's pen doesn't mean it never happened in any sense.
Well obviously it would still have happened. It's real to an extent, but less real imo. I consider Toriyama's input more official than toei's. I don't see what's wrong with that considering it's a popular opinion.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:48 pm

kinisking wrote:I consider Toriyama's input more official than toei's. I don't see what's wrong with that considering it's a popular opinion.
Other than the fact that it isn't true in any measurable sense, I guess there's nothing wrong with it.
Retired.

TheMathemagician
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheMathemagician » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:40 pm

Lapislettuce wrote:
DBSQA wrote:
Lapislettuce wrote: It's not Toriyama who is talking though !
Ok then. So I guess I shouldn't consider whoever is talking's words canon.
I don't see what's the problem with what he said,he's basically saying that he wouldn't accept if it weren't for Goku which is obviously true since Goku will help which will make 17 warm up to him and accept his invitation,i doubt he accept if 18 asks he will probably just tell her he's busy or something like that.
The whole idea of Goku gaining 17's respect and acceptance to join the tournament in these episodes are very pleasing to me.
Lord Beerus wrote:A little late to the party, but the spoilers have me really interested. Ironically, it's the Roshi/Tien episode that has piqued my interest the most. I mean, when was the last time those guys have been the central characters in any episode of anything Dragon Ball related? It feels like forever. They're taking a slow burn approach with this build-up to the Tournament Of Power, and I'm really appreciative that they're doing that. It's working wonders for this arc and the supporting cast.
Didn't Roshi co-lead that one episode with 18 and Oolong to get a wish in DBS?
"Sighs...At my age, I already have a woman who follows me around thinking she's my wife. Oh! My youth's rotting away!" - Ataru Moroboshi

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:18 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
kinisking wrote:I consider Toriyama's input more official than toei's. I don't see what's wrong with that considering it's a popular opinion.
Other than the fact that it isn't true in any measurable sense, I guess there's nothing wrong with it.
Not everything's about what you can or can't measure.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:21 am

kinisking wrote: I never said that it wasn't going to be good. I just said that a small part of me would be dissapointed if it wasn't because it would make it feel less real to me. I never implied in any way that it wouldn't be enjoyable to me if it wasn't made by Toriyama.
Sounds more to me that because fans have been condition to think everything Toei does is 'filler or doesn't matter' and 'Toriyama is the official word'', they can't wipe their minds behind that Super is a cooperation of Toei, Toyo, and Toriyama. Super isn't just made with just Toriyama's effects, just like the movies.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:34 am

kinisking wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Everything useful is.
Retired.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:35 am

kinisking wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Personally I feel like judging a work of art based on who the artist is, is just as pretentious as designer labels. All Super is the equivalent of a mass produced polo tshirt with Ralph Lauren's name on it, or on this case Toriyamas.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:03 am

TheMikado wrote:
kinisking wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Other than the fact that it isn't true in any measurable sense, I guess there's nothing wrong with it.
Personally I feel like judging a work of art based on who the artist is, is just as pretentious as designer labels. All Super is the equivalent of a mass produced polo tshirt with Ralph Lauren's name on it, or on this case Toriyamas.
I'm not judging it based on who creates it. If it's good, it's good. If it's bad, it's bad. I just feel like what Toriyama makes is more official than what Toei makes.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:01 am

One thing I found really cool in today's episode was the fact that the Kaioshin realm of Universe 6 is pretty identical to Universe 7. It looked as if Rumoosh was also near Gowasu's place too. Universe 11 realm looked weird to me... lol. A lot of cool little details this episode:)

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:14 am

Gohan is so getting back in shape..

Also, is it too much to say he will be SSG to SSB tier if not above after this training?
I don't have proof but I feel that's exactly what will happen
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:24 am

Ki Breaker wrote:Gohan is so getting back in shape..

Also, is it too much to say he will be SSG to SSB tier if not above after this training?
Yeah he could get that strong... Unfortunately this is all because Super is stuck in that 10 years timeframe and Toriyama doesn't want to move over it. Back in the original manga the characters always had plenty of time to get stronger, ever since the very first Tenkaichi Budokai. 40 hours isn't really an acceptable timeframe to get much stronger unless they use the RoSaT (which Goku and Vegeta already used in Super) so I hope Piccolo takes Gohan to the room as soon as he knows he has only 40 hours to train Gohan. Unless Piccolo's training only consists in making Gohan "Ultimate" again (and maybe just a little stronger) which I would be fine with.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:25 am

Piccolo is going to give him a good beating and did not look happy at the end of Episode 85.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:29 am

namekiansaiyan wrote:

Piccolo is going to give him a good beating.
... For some hours, then it's the other way round.. 10 fold other way round :lol:
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:43 am

Ki Breaker wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:

Piccolo is going to give him a good beating.
... For some hours, then it's the other way round.. 10 fold other way round :lol:
No no no no no no no! Both are getting stronger as Buu, Krillin and 17 and so is Piccolo.

3 weeks to their intense training. I am still saying Piccolo and Gohan team up to beat Jiren.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:53 am

Sure he could. Easily. Super does whatever the fuck it wants as long as it wants to, so any ludicrous thing goes.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:00 am

TheMikado wrote:
kinisking wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Other than the fact that it isn't true in any measurable sense, I guess there's nothing wrong with it.
I disagree with that, wholeheartedly but then again I think Art and entertainment are 2 different things and dragon ball falls in the latter so opinions.