Will GT Really Become "Lost" This Time?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Logan
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Will GT Really Become "Lost" This Time?

Post by Logan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:53 pm

I don't think it will be lost any more than the movies would be. I think Western audiences are too caught up in this non-existent "canon" that they think that GT won't be a lasting component of the franchise. NeoKING made mention of MS Gundam, which I think is a good example of how a group of series that are constantly being retconned, contradicted, and otherwise unrelated can still be regarded collectively. Can't vouch, but I don't think it's really an issue in Japan.
There is no Dragon Ball canon.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:56 pm

Also we do not know how much involvement Dragon Ball Super wil have of Akira Toriyama. This is already becoming some weird imagination of fans about how they think canonicity is defined. Once people find out Akira Toriyama does not have that much more involvement than in GT than it is suddenly "wait! but he also did not work more on that one! -> but...! but...! he worked more on it! it is more canonical because only the original author can make something canonical (<- not true)!"
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Barunks
Beyond Newbie

Post by Barunks » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:14 pm

Who knows, maybe they will do what was done with the new Star Trek movies and establish that Dragonball Super takes place in a separate timeline from GT. That way they can still acknowledge the existence of GT but go their own way.

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:27 pm

God, I hope not. GT isn't some amazing work of art, but there are good things about. However, if you're a big Dragon Ball fan or play a lot of the games you'll know what it is, but it'll definitely lose general public attention on most forms of media (games, merchandise, etc.).

macho_man
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by macho_man » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:33 pm

Just remeber one thing about DBGT: the series picks up five years (ten years in the Funimation dub only) after the end of the Dragon Ball Z anime. Dragon Ball Super (EoZ->going on) almost surely will never cover more than 5 years, so now we will finally see what happened during DBZ-DBGT timeskip. Another thing to know: Chozenshuu states that DBZ and DBGT take place in the same timeline.
Last edited by macho_man on Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barunks
Beyond Newbie

Post by Barunks » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:40 pm

macho_man wrote: Another thing to know: Chozenshuu states that DBZ and DBGT take place in the same timeline.
That's the thing though, we're not dealing with DBZ any more, this is DBS. For all we know things could be changed and GT actually is the main timeline and now this is the real side story.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:48 pm

I think GT will be the Twisted Metal 3 & 4 of the DB series. I think fans will look back on it and be like "Oh it's that show. The show is not really needed since you have DBS". GT will be around if fans want to check out to see if it's any good or not. Not being apart of the main show's timeline does not mean people won't still watch it. People still seem to check out X-Men Origins and the AVP movies when those movies are not canon to their main movie franchises.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Necrosaber
Beyond Newbie

Post by Necrosaber » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:52 pm

It pains me to see that GT continues to try to be drowned out over the course of time.

Especially when the problems that most people claim to have with GT are present in both the movies. Not even subtle. In fact, some of the ideas presented in the new movies are very post GT, almost AF.

I'm sure the new stuff will be entertaining, but it will never substitute GT for me. I'll just lump in it with "post manga media" like with anything else.

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:11 pm

I mean, it's already been cast aside by most fans anyway and I don't mind if they want to take the series in a different direction to GT. At the end of the day, it's not to be taken too seriously. I have my GT DVD's, and I can watch them and enjoy them whenever I want. It doesn't bother me what others think of it. While I may have my nitpicks, I still enjoy the series. That won't be lost on me.

Necrosaber
Beyond Newbie

Post by Necrosaber » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:35 pm

BlackCatScott wrote:I mean, it's already been cast aside by most fans anyway and I don't mind if they want to take the series in a different direction to GT. At the end of the day, it's not to be taken too seriously. I have my GT DVD's, and I can watch them and enjoy them whenever I want. It doesn't bother me what others think of it. While I may have my nitpicks, I still enjoy the series. That won't be lost on me.
But it was casted aside on the grounds of ideas they thought were stupid and didn't like. New forms that didn't look at all what the previous ones did. "Goku Time" like people love to harp to, but when he's turned into Jesus Christ it's all good. Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan which looks like ANY MS painted Super Saiyan 8 Goku picture that gets passed around Yahoo Images. the whole "Lending of Saiya power" to summon Goku's god powers happened just like that in Toyble's AF where they "lent the Saiya powers" to restore the black star dragonballs to summon Goku the dragon god.

I just think people just need to sit down and think as to why they prefer the newer movies to GT and I don't think it's unreasonable to think it is because of the Toriyama charm. It's perfectly ok to think and feel that way, but at this point I don't see the point in reacting violently to the actual content in GT, which to me, is very similar to the new movies. Problems and all

macho_man
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by macho_man » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:54 pm

Necrosaber wrote: the whole "Lending of Saiya power" to summon Goku's god powers happened just like that in Toyble's AF where they "lent the Saiya powers" to restore the black star dragonballs to summon Goku the dragon god.
I thought I was the only one making this kind of comparison similarity. In addition, the context of Goku and his sparring partner (Paikuhan) training 'in a reign of Gods' (Dragons, the Ryu'oshins) is reprised in FnF as well with Goku and his sparring partner (Vegeta) training 'in a reign of Gods' (Hakaishins, Whis and Beerus)... and in this contexts they both reach new power up too!
Well, so it's almost a confirm of the contribution toyotaro, and maybe also ooishi naho, are giving to the staff behind the creation of these new plots for movies and, probably, DBS.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:05 pm

Just like the other movies, it happens in a different timeline, at least to me.
I lke GT. Dont feel like ignoring it now.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:12 pm

People really, really, REALLY need to stop fretting so much over what is or isn't "canon" and just let things be enjoyable on their own merits.

So what if Super or the new movies ordain that GT will forever be a "side story?" That leaves it in pretty much the same ballpark as the 13 original movies. Does that make it any more or less enjoyable for anyone? It's not like Toei is just completely disavowing it and GT material will stop appearing in games and merchandise.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:22 pm

Kaboom wrote:People really, really, REALLY need to stop fretting so much over what is or isn't "canon" and just let things be enjoyable on their own merits.

So what if Super or the new movies ordain that GT will forever be a "side story?" That leaves it in pretty much the same ballpark as the 13 original movies. Does that make it any more or less enjoyable for anyone? It's not like Toei is just completely disavowing it and GT material will stop appearing in games and merchandise.
All of this.

I don't really put much thought into what could be considered "canon" or "non canon". I just enjoy it for what it is. And if I don't enjoy it, then I'll just ignore it.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:29 pm

Ditto. Sometimes these ardent statements make me picture people imagining TOEI would send out death squads to exterminate everyone's GT copy once they ever somehow mention something regarding GT's status in the overall continuity.

So no, there will be nothing lost. The contrary even, since apparently GT receives, in my view, such exaggerated disdain that it will be the topic of many conversations yet to come.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:37 pm

Kaboom wrote:People really, really, REALLY need to stop fretting so much over what is or isn't "canon" and just let things be enjoyable on their own merits.

Lord Beerus wrote: All of this.

I don't really put much thought into what could be considered "canon" or "non canon". I just enjoy it for what it is. And if I don't enjoy it, then I'll just ignore it.
InfernalVegito wrote:Ditto. Sometimes these ardent statements make me picture people imagining TOEI would send out death squads to exterminate everyone's GT copy once they ever somehow mention something regarding GT's status in the overall continuity.

So no, there will be nothing lost. The contrary even, since apparently GT receives, in my view, such exaggerated disdain that it will be the topic of many conversations yet to come.
You know, it's extremely tiring to hear about people argue about what's canon and what not. But, it's even more annoying to have people come in threads and try to "anti-discuss" what the whole thread is supposed to be about.

Nobody is saying Toei is going to hunt down owners of DBGT merchandise and erase them from existence. To anyone genuinely thinking this, I may be inclined to question your intellect. I'm simply asking the question that's on everyones' minds: what will happen to GT's continuity.

Everyone is going to watch DBS and try to enjoy it best they can. We know. Yes, we know how to sit down and watch the show. However, people are allowed to discuss things like this. It's part of the fun for some people, and leads an even more interesting discussion for those who are concerned with branding and marketing. So please, if you don't like the idea of the thread and want to ride the "Just shut up and enjoy the show"-train, this may not be the discussion for you.

bubibartra
Beyond Newbie

Post by bubibartra » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:33 pm

I hate GT.

but ...
There is after all
... It would be possible to establish a line between the OVAs and GT ?, and so that Gt is a continuation of the OVAs. A complete line of time with their own end.
Favorite Character: Vegeta
Seconds favorites caracteres:Goku , Piccolo
Previously I like: Kid Gohan
I do not like: Adult Gohan
I hope more: Trunks and Goten
I claim for: A girlfriend and a happy life for Yamcha. Women SSJ
Hate: Send all women to take care of children, including A18.
Need more of: Ten Sin Han

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:53 pm

NeoKING wrote:You know, it's extremely tiring to hear about people argue about what's canon and what not. But, it's even more annoying to have people come in threads and try to "anti-discuss" what the whole thread is supposed to be about.

Nobody is saying Toei is going to hunt down owners of DBGT merchandise and erase them from existence. To anyone genuinely thinking this, I may be inclined to question your intellect. I'm simply asking the question that's on everyones' minds: what will happen to GT's continuity.

Everyone is going to watch DBS and try to enjoy it best they can. We know. Yes, we know how to sit down and watch the show. However, people are allowed to discuss things like this. It's part of the fun for some people, and leads an even more interesting discussion for those who are concerned with branding and marketing. So please, if you don't like the idea of the thread and want to ride the "Just shut up and enjoy the show"-train, this may not be the discussion for you.
Have to agree with this post.

For some people it's certainly not a big deal whether or not material is part of the author's intended continuity, but I think it's a big sticking point for others. It means a lot to me if something was written or developed by Toriyama, because it helps understand his vision and interpretation. I feel it's his universe (and his alone), and a wonderful place to experience...and I care a good deal about what new things he's adding to it.

A good deal of fans enjoy DBGT and other side material, which makes this an awkward and difficult topic to discuss. Different people enjoy different aspects of the series, so it's not my right to tell them what they can and can't enjoy. At the same time, I feel it's pretty important to have an established, primary continuity determined by the original author.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:59 pm

I would imagine Toriyama views GT the same way he views DBZ Movies 1-13 where they take place in their own world. I think GT will be no different from the old movies since GT can be a series set in a different universe.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:36 pm

As soon as Super Saiyan God was announced, GT was nothing more than a what if story to me. Super Saiyan God and Super Saiyan 4 both existing makes no sense. So for me, GT is just a what if story.