Will GT Really Become "Lost" This Time?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Will GT Really Become "Lost" This Time?

Post by NeoKING » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:04 pm

So, is GT really about to become the "Lost Episodes" of the Dragon Ball franchise as of Dragon Ball Super? Was Funimation right after all?

Ironically, I do remember early 90's promotion for GT consisting of paraphrased lines like, "A secret adventure that no one knew about," as if it was really intended to be nothing more than a side-story ala Toriyama's infamous commentary.

Dragon Box GT prices about to soar, maybe?

What's Dragon Ball GT? Super, you mean?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Re: Will GT Really Become "Lost" This Time?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:06 pm

I don't think so, though it won't be a huge loss.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:09 pm

No. GT is controversial enough it's more famous than half of DBZ movies and fillers. People won't suddenly forget about it's existence since it's still well... relevant enough to be put in modern games.
Last edited by Xeogran on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:10 pm

I think they're just going to pretend like it never happened. Hell the first thing I thought of when I saw the "Super" news was how GT is officially done.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

AM Reflection
Not-So-Newbie

Post by AM Reflection » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:12 pm

Nah. The only way that could happen is if the new series is being set during the same timeframe as GT was. Even if that were the case, I don't think GT would be made any less relevant than it is. If nothing else, the popularity of Super Saiyan 4 will always keep it alive.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:15 pm

NeoKING wrote:So, is GT really about to become the "Lost Episodes" of the Dragon Ball franchise as of Dragon Ball Super? Was Funimation right after all?

Ironically, I do remember early 90's promotion for GT consisting of paraphrased lines like, "A secret adventure that no one knew about," as if it was really intended to be nothing more than a side-story ala Toriyama's infamous commentary.

Dragon Box GT prices about to soar, maybe?

What's Dragon Ball GT? Super, you mean?
I actually see this as another opportunity to bring in some aspects from GT into " canon" format. For example, you guys remember the whole concept of misuse of the Dragon Balls came from DBZ itself, right? Look it up. Maybe, just maybe, this is a second chance to explore such plot and use it. Also, it wouldn't surprise if "Super" brings the first canon appearance of Goku SSJ 4. It is just a possibility.

I still hold GT to a high standard. I loved every single aspect of it (with flaws and all).

The way I see it, more gods are coming. After the "Gods Saga" ends, the Dragonballs begin to crack just like they did in GT.
Give me my Shadow Dragons in Super.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:17 pm

Do you just think that GT will magically vanish from people's minds? That cause super is happening it's just gonna poof from existence? That my GT green bricks will vanish from my shelf in July? Well I can tell you, it won't.

I can already say and tell that topics like these are not only gonna become the most beaten dead horse in record time but they're gonna become so plentiful...Nature of the beast I guess.

If anything we could see elements of GT fall into Super, let's not forget that Toriyama has stated he LIKES DBGT.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:21 pm

The Grand Tour will never Die!
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:21 pm

voltlunok wrote:If anything we could see elements of GT fall into Super, let's not forget that Toriyama has stated he LIKES DBGT.
This happening + a Broly mention and my life would be complete.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:21 pm

GT will not be "lost". It'll be just be somewhat officially seen now by fans as more of a "non-canon" harmless, side adventure that will always be available to the public to view as they please.
SSJ God Gogeta wrote:The Grand Tour will never Die!
Sorry, man. It just has. :lol:

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:22 pm

For Gundam fans, would you say this situation is similar to the U.C. where you had the original Gundam then Victory Gundam taking place much later in the timeline, but then you have series like Gundam Unicorn being released today that takes place in that same "much later" timeline?

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:26 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
SSJ God Gogeta wrote:The Grand Tour will never Die!
Sorry, man. It just has. :lol:
Except it really hasn't...again, End of Buu arc and End of Z are two different things. Till I see them say this takes place fully after Z, this is just Toriyama shoehorning more stuff into that VERY narrow space between end of buu and end of Z (Which that poor space is already so bloated...) I wouldn't hold something high until we have more information. But then again that's just me being practical I guess...Then again if this just turns out to be GT again, I will sit atop my tower made of schadenfreudium and laugh! (Fun fact, schadenfreudium is a metal created from pure schadenfreude, it's the best!)
NeoKING wrote:For Gundam fans, would you say this situation is similar to the U.C. where you had the original Gundam then Victory Gundam taking place much later in the timeline, but then you have series like Gundam Unicorn being released today that takes place in that same "much later" timeline?
As a huge gundam fan? A little. Unicorn was neatly placed and I think it tried it's very best not to muttle Victory, yes there were a little flubs here and there but in all honesty, the UC timeline for gundam is very well monitored and they actively try to keep it from contradicting itself. I respect that even if I'm not the biggest UC fan...save for the UC Trilogy! That stuff's my jam! Specially ZZ Gundam.
Last edited by voltlunok on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:28 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Sorry, man. It just has. :lol:
This is Dragon Ball! Things never truly die...
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:29 pm

MajinMan wrote:I think they're just going to pretend like it never happened. Hell the first thing I thought of when I saw the "Super" news was how GT is officially done.
We may finally get some sort of "GT takes place in a separate timeline" type explanation, but I'm sure GT characters will still go on featuring in games and whatnot. Heck, the Broli movies have never fit in with the main series' timeline, but that doesn't stop him from popping up everywhere. It's just a question of popularity.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:30 pm

Herms wrote: Heck, the Broli movies have never fit in with the main series' timeline, but that doesn't stop him from popping up everywhere. It's just a question of popularity.
Unfortunately... Popularity moves worlds. Sucks a lot.

swimtrunks
Not-So-Newbie

Post by swimtrunks » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:32 pm

Doesn't Cooler's minor appearance in GT prove it takes place in an alternate timeline? :think:

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:33 pm

Won't people just treat it like they already treat the 13 Z Movies before BoG? Like a "Yeah, you've watched Z, but don't wanna know what would happen if Goku suddenly became a kid again?" that will always be there for us to watch, discuss, make jokes and scream at but won't harm the series in any way because it's just a neat bonus for those that watched everything else.

That and I still want GT characters to keep appearing in video games.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:38 pm

It's not going to magically disappear. It's still a thing. Heck, the original Dragon Ball is more likely to disappear from fan's minds than GT.

I kind of see it as Kai's answer to GT in a way for now.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:44 pm

GT isn't phenomenal by any stretch of the imagination, but as a fan, I still spent a lot of time watching, researching (before it came to the U.S.), and spending time with GT throughout my life. Was it great? No. But it's still a part of the story, in my opinion. It's not canon, but it's still part of the overall story. It would be a shame if it totally got lost. The only thing GT did was not be better than Z. But by the same token, I can pretty much predict that nothing that will ever be made will measure up to Z. Yeah, a one-off movie might generate some positive reactions, but that's judged totally different than a series. It's just sad that we all knew the story and now suddenly, poof, and it's changed. It's truly a shame. At least that's how I feel. I'm getting too old for this; I can't keep sitting there for another 5 years collecting this thing as it comes out. I'd like some closure to the series. I'd like them to put a lid on it and say, "Hey! You like Dragon Ball? This is Dragon Ball. Not some other stuff coming out in 2 years, not some story changes, but this, right here, is Dragon Ball." But instead, it's just going on and on and on and on and you think you know it, but then it changes.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:52 pm

swimtrunks wrote:Doesn't Cooler's minor appearance in GT prove it takes place in an alternate timeline? :think:
It is called error or not paying to much attention to what fits together and does not prove anything.
Last edited by Cetra on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"