"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by SansrivaaL » Thu May 18, 2017 9:20 am

I liked the chapter a lot, I'd rather take Goku mastering SSJB a form that needed to be mastered because it has huge stamina issues called way back in the U6 arc, Goku and Vegeta trying to master the form was obvious, the only question was when, compared to the anime where Trunks for some unfuckingknown reason unlocked a new form called Super Saiyan Rage that up until now we still have no idea what it is that has double ki aura to have it look cool, Goku mastering SSJB actually doesnt look cool at all and doesnt sound cool, its just him... mastering the form... a simple move.... a little to simple but I'll take it.

I can understand why Goku and Vegeta were having a hard time against Merged Zamasu back then compared to now that Goku can solo him, Goku and Vegeta prior to this chapter arent able to use the full capacity of SSJB, the power still leaks out so they were at -100% something, while this time around Goku has control and is at 100% all the time. Goku's SSJB 100% being equal or possibly above Merged Zamasu doesnt sting too much cause Black in this manga ver is a weak ass shouting p*ssy bitch compared to his anime couterpart that still overwhelmed them up until the end with his weird hax, events and character powers are different, Black and Zamasu in the manga ver are very weak compared to their anime version.
Even Goku bitch talked Zamasu that Trunks alone can handle him, Black himself was getting demolished by Vegeta that was going in and out of SSJG and SSJB meaning Vegeta's SSJG had enough power in it to keep up with Black while only going Blue for the hard hit.

Trunks knowing how to heal was kinda foreshadowed back then with Gowasu, despite it lacking its still better than none.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu May 18, 2017 9:21 am

I absolutely adore the way the story is going here, trunks healing! yup, goku got an idea on how to perfect SSB but is struggling to do so right off the bat is Wonderful and so are Zamasu's portal punches..
This whole thing is amazing, can't wait to see how it ends
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu May 18, 2017 9:22 am

The full chapter has leaked. Aside from what has been discussed here, Trunks attempts to heal Vegeta, but only manages to heal him enough to stabilize him.

Aside from that, the fight choreography is really cool. I really love fights where there is a clear underdog who is getting his ass kicked, yet still persists and gets a few solid hits in on his opponent anyway. When everything is put together, it really seems like Goku is able to land these hits because of his creativity and superior expertise as a martial artist, despite the disparity in strength and special abilities.

As for the Toyotaro interview, I really like his approach to drawing Super. He respects the source material and the fans, but at the end of the day, you can't become obsessed over how every little thing will be perceived. People are calling him a fanboy because of this, but I thought his responses were very mature, responsible, and reflected a realistic perspective. Very happy that we have him drawing the manga.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu May 18, 2017 9:29 am

batistabus wrote:People are calling him a fanboy because of this, but I thought his responses were very mature, responsible, and reflected a realistic perspective. Very happy that we have him drawing the manga.
Seriously? If this is the case I ain't gonna take the trouble of going through everyone's thoughts here anymore..

His response was quite mature, cool headed and he knew what he was trying to do..
As you said, his perspective is realistic..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Thu May 18, 2017 9:47 am

Vegeta really was a punching bag in this chapter, but his motives seem to be laudable (as if he wanted to sacrifice himself). Considering his prominence in other chapters, I did not care so much
Last edited by TheSaiyanGod on Thu May 18, 2017 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu May 18, 2017 9:57 am

SansrivaaL wrote:I liked the chapter a lot, I'd rather take Goku mastering SSJB a form that needed to be mastered because it has huge stamina issues called way back in the U6 arc, Goku and Vegeta trying to master the form was obvious, the only question was when, compared to the anime where Trunks for some unfuckingknown reason unlocked a new form called Super Saiyan Rage that up until now we still have no idea what it is that has double ki aura to have it look cool, Goku mastering SSJB actually doesnt look cool at all and doesnt sound cool, its just him... mastering the form... a simple move.... a little to simple but I'll take it.

I can understand why Goku and Vegeta were having a hard time against Merged Zamasu back then compared to now that Goku can solo him, Goku and Vegeta prior to this chapter arent able to use the full capacity of SSJB, the power still leaks out so they were at -100% something, while this time around Goku has control and is at 100% all the time. Goku's SSJB 100% being equal or possibly above Merged Zamasu doesnt sting too much cause Black in this manga ver is a weak ass shouting p*ssy bitch compared to his anime couterpart that still overwhelmed them up until the end with his weird hax, events and character powers are different, Black and Zamasu in the manga ver are very weak compared to their anime version.
Even Goku bitch talked Zamasu that Trunks alone can handle him, Black himself was getting demolished by Vegeta that was going in and out of SSJG and SSJB meaning Vegeta's SSJG had enough power in it to keep up with Black while only going Blue for the hard hit.

Trunks knowing how to heal was kinda foreshadowed back then with Gowasu, despite it lacking its still better than none.
But even if Black and Zamasu was weaker, Merged Zamasu shouldn't be this weak. Remember, Goku and Vegeta were fodder before Super Buu after he absorbed Piccolo, Goten, Trunks, and Gohan, yet Vegetto smashed him.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:03 am

zamasu121 wrote:What i'm saying is that the asspulls in this chapter are just as bad as the anime,if not worse.
I don't care about any of that. My issue is you're implying people are blindly praising what went down in this chapter. That never happened. Your whole post just smells like bait, which I'm sure it is.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Thu May 18, 2017 10:03 am

HeroR wrote: But even if Black and Zamasu was weaker, Merged Zamasu shouldn't be this weak. Remember, Goku and Vegeta were fodder before Super Buu after he absorbed Piccolo, Goten, Trunks, and Gohan, yet Vegetto smashed him.
Orange and apples, you can say Goku+Vegeta just had that much of a big boost compared to Black and Zamasu, it had different effects like what happened with old kai and why the fusion time limits are different.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu May 18, 2017 10:04 am

When do the official translation for Viz releases? I will used that to judge the chapter to be as fair as possible.
SansrivaaL wrote: Orange and apples, you can say Goku+Vegeta just had that much of a big boost compared to Black and Zamasu, it had different effects like what happened with old kai and why the fusion time limits are different.
I don't see how it is oranges and apples since it is the same type of fusion. Goku and Vegeta may have gotten a bigger boost from being 'rivals', but Merged Zamasu shouldn't be this gimped no matter how you slice it. Old Kai is hard to say since we don't know how strong he was before he merged with the witch.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Abra kadabra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Abra kadabra » Thu May 18, 2017 10:14 am

If Toyotaro wasn't writing like such a fanboy nobody would be call him a fanboy. Simple :shh:

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu May 18, 2017 10:27 am

Abra kadabra wrote:If Toyotaro wasn't writing like such a fanboy nobody would be call him a fanboy. Simple :shh:
What about Toyotaro's writing makes him a fanboy? Where do you feel his love for the series/characters gets in the way of the story?

Are you saying this because Goku has a technique that surpasses Vegeta's? If you think giving Goku - the main character - the spotlight is a sign of being a fanboy, then I think you need to adjust your expectations, and I'm surprised you like Dragon Ball at all. A character can be treated respectfully and in an interesting way without being portrayed as the most powerful. Do you think Kuririn's fight against Ma Junior at the 23rd Tenka'ichi Budokai makes him look pathetic?

If you thinks giving Trunks a special ability is a sign of him being a fanboy, I think that might be understandable to an extent, but I feel that Toyotaro avoids important pitfalls in keeping Trunks relevant. If Trunks was given extreme strength out of nowhere, then I would understand the complaint. If Trunks was made to look badass while doing everything, I'd understand it. Toyotaro making Trunks a struggling healer keeps him relevant without having to boost his strength for no reason, while at the same time tying it in with established lore with a new twist in an unexpected way. Some complain that Trunks hasn't been relevant enough, but now that he has something important to do, some aren't happy with it either. What would you like Trunks to do? Would you prefer he do nothing?

Anyway, I'm not sure what you're complaining about specifically, but these are my best guesses.
Last edited by batistabus on Thu May 18, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu May 18, 2017 10:33 am

batistabus wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:He goes from a tiny amount of healing (by accident no less) to suddenly being able to fully heal Goku just because he realized he could do it. He was never taught how to heal. It's lame as hell. It's like if Goku told Gohan "you're a saiyan, so you should be able to transform to Super Saiyan", and Gohan went "ok I'll transform now." The convo wasn't organic, it was the cliche trope of a character happening to overhear key information, a repeat of last chapter with Gowasu just offhandedly mentioning the fusion time limit. It's very cheap.
It makes sense that he is able to use a technique he is pre-disposed to be capable of doing with extreme difficulty. This is not unreasonable in any way when held to any fictional standard.

If anything, it'd be closer to someone like Vegeta teaching some sort of new Saiyan character how to become a Super Saiyan over the course of let's say a fighting match or something like that. What a horrible moment that would be.

I don't know why I bother arguing with people who are actively seeking out things to prevent them from enjoying the manga.
Is there anything you dislike about the manga at all?

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu May 18, 2017 10:35 am

After seeing the whole chapter, the fighting is really great. It's nice that Absolute Zamasu has the Janemba technique, he turned out to be pretty unique in regards to his attacks.
Regarding what's going on, I don't know Japanese and I'll wait for a translation.

A few plot points seem sudden and I don't like that. But there's a lot of text, I trust Toyotarõ to give a satisfactory explanation, at the very least. Trunks being a Kaioshin apprentice is five starts, I haven't even thought of that. Although superficially thinking, it should have been mentioned before.

Crazy idea for the ending. Could Trunks replace Zamasu and go live in Universe 10 as Gowase apprentice? :shock: :o

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu May 18, 2017 10:37 am

A wealth of worthless posts (and responses specifically to them) have been removed, as have posts regarding piracy and requests for said material.

Criticism and analysis is welcome. If your posts are exclusively comprised of negativity, lack of any context, and personal attacks, you have not made a worthwhile post.

Please review the community guidelines that you agreed to (twice) prior to registration before making any further contributions.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu May 18, 2017 10:44 am

Doctor. wrote:
batistabus wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:He goes from a tiny amount of healing (by accident no less) to suddenly being able to fully heal Goku just because he realized he could do it. He was never taught how to heal. It's lame as hell. It's like if Goku told Gohan "you're a saiyan, so you should be able to transform to Super Saiyan", and Gohan went "ok I'll transform now." The convo wasn't organic, it was the cliche trope of a character happening to overhear key information, a repeat of last chapter with Gowasu just offhandedly mentioning the fusion time limit. It's very cheap.
It makes sense that he is able to use a technique he is pre-disposed to be capable of doing with extreme difficulty. This is not unreasonable in any way when held to any fictional standard.

If anything, it'd be closer to someone like Vegeta teaching some sort of new Saiyan character how to become a Super Saiyan over the course of let's say a fighting match or something like that. What a horrible moment that would be.

I don't know why I bother arguing with people who are actively seeking out things to prevent them from enjoying the manga.
Is there anything you dislike about the manga at all?
Yes. Obviously I like it very much overall, so I don't let minor things bother me too much. There are things I can nitpick out of everything I like, but if I don't feel like it detracts from the overall product too much, why harp on it? Especially here, when there is plenty of criticizing going around.

If I were to nitpick this chapter, I'd say:

-I wish there was a reason Zamasu had that portal technique. If he had the "kai-kai", then it'd make a little more sense, but because it's really cool and fused characters make up moves anyway, I don't mind it. Speaking of which, why doesn't Zamasu have kai-kai? Shouldn't Trunks, too?
-I like the way Toyotaro is handling their progress to improving SSB, but it does make me wonder how they defeated Golden Freeza in the first place.
- I don't know...I think maybe Toytaro's art would look a little more like Toriyama's if he slightly rounded the characters eyes in the corner.

Aside from the fact that I feel these complaints are minor, some of them may be answered in the future. I'd prefer to have the whole product to look at before berating things that might be revealed later. For example, I thought "fake-killing" Gowasu was a pointless manga change, but the fact that Toyotaro made that intentional foreshadowing completely changes my opinion of that scene.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu May 18, 2017 10:52 am

I enjoyed the chapter. Battle damage to clothes is good to see again. Zamasu's Janenba technique was entertaining. I prefer his anime techniques, but I don't dislike the manga ones.

I've got no qualms about Trunks being team healer.

That double punch page where Zamasu makes that fun reaction face was really good.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Thu May 18, 2017 10:57 am

It sounds to me like Goku mastering SSJB is forshadowing SSJB Kaioken at some point. Toyotaro had to get rid of the aura icy things that float around Goku along with the aura itself if he's going to use SSJB Kaioken. A double aura in a manga would look rather... strange and those floating things would have been too much over the top looking with Kaioken. I think SSJB Kaioken is going to happen in the manga or something like it.

Also at least Toyotaro is trying to give us information about Super Saiyan Blue rather than being like Toei and saying "Hey this is a new form that's a billion times stronger than God, so yeah you know!" He gave it a few weakness and is now having the characters overcome it, he's at least trying to have character development. SSJB in the anime seems almost flawless :P

Also Goku at the end was really cool, almost like his Namek fight with Freeza! The fight choreography is better than Super's as well in my opinion! I thought giving Zamasu Janemba techniques was better than opening up a unexplained rift in time and space with a energy scythe.
Last edited by Xeztin on Thu May 18, 2017 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Thu May 18, 2017 10:58 am

So am I one of the few that didnt like the whole Zamasu ripping off Janemba's dimension technique? I would have prefered if Toyo comes out of his safe place and create a unique attack instead of just re using stuffs etc.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu May 18, 2017 11:00 am

LightBing wrote: Crazy idea for the ending. Could Trunks replace Zamasu and go live in Universe 10 as Gowase apprentice? :shock: :o
I would enjoy that, though that would heavily effect the TOP... Unless Toyo just has Trunks be 'busy' during the tournament
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu May 18, 2017 11:03 am

Kanassa wrote:
LightBing wrote: Crazy idea for the ending. Could Trunks replace Zamasu and go live in Universe 10 as Gowase apprentice? :shock: :o
I would enjoy that, though that would heavily effect the TOP... Unless Toyo just has Trunks be 'busy' during the tournament
As a Kaioshin disciple, I don't think Trunks would be permitted to fight in the ToP. I don't think this will happen, but it is a cool thought anyway.