"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dragon Wukong » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:25 pm

Just gotta say, on the topic of necks in the manga, may we never forget this gem from the final chapter of Z. (don't ask where this horrid quality pic is from)

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:19 pm

It's no secret that I'm a pretty big Toyotaro fan, but his desire to make Marcarita so similar to Harley Quinn is the worst thing he's wanted to do to Dragon Ball Super in my opinion. I think he's done a fantastic job with the manga overall, but it's clear that he still has a lot to learn before Toriyama can let him loose. Glad the basis for that character ended up much more like a homage than what Toyo's draft indicated.

Raykugen
Regular

Post by Raykugen » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:11 pm

emperior wrote:I’ve been re-reading the manga lately and, honestly, Toyotaro must fix his necks as soon as possible. Black in particular looks like shit, because of that enormous neck of his and that stupid grin Toyotaro always gives him.
Just look at Volume 4 cover to see what I’m talking about. Merged Zamasu is the major offender as he doesn’t even have a neck, he only has muscles where his neck should be for how Toyotaro draws him.
The guy always checks Toriyama’s manga, how come he doesn’t realize he is getting necks wrong?! And when he draws SSG, he actually makes the neck thinner, this shows that Toyotaro can draw necks but he doesn’t realize he is messing them up. I hope someone will point it out to him. I like his art by the way, he’s definitely improved in these years, but he absolutely needs to fix the anatomy of his characters..
Have you ever read the original DB manga? around Cell and Buu saga, I mean, because it doesn't seems like you did
Do you want NEW GENERATION DRAGON BALL (Z, GT..) IMAGES? In HQ? Of all characters? Click here: http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=17178
My Deviantart: http://raykugen.deviantart.com/
Dragon Ball Characters Project Deviantart: http://dbcproject.deviantart.com/

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:31 am

Raykugen wrote:
emperior wrote:I’ve been re-reading the manga lately and, honestly, Toyotaro must fix his necks as soon as possible. Black in particular looks like shit, because of that enormous neck of his and that stupid grin Toyotaro always gives him.
Just look at Volume 4 cover to see what I’m talking about. Merged Zamasu is the major offender as he doesn’t even have a neck, he only has muscles where his neck should be for how Toyotaro draws him.
The guy always checks Toriyama’s manga, how come he doesn’t realize he is getting necks wrong?! And when he draws SSG, he actually makes the neck thinner, this shows that Toyotaro can draw necks but he doesn’t realize he is messing them up. I hope someone will point it out to him. I like his art by the way, he’s definitely improved in these years, but he absolutely needs to fix the anatomy of his characters..
Have you ever read the original DB manga? around Cell and Buu saga, I mean, because it doesn't seems like you did
I read it many times, actually. When Toriyama drew huge necks, his characters were also huge while Toyotaro draws smaller bodies. Although Toriyama also messed up necks and proportions a few times. Toyotaro's proportions for Merged Zamasu and Black Goku were always wrong and so they popped out a lot.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:30 am

I can't wait for Toyotaro's version of the current events of the story and what changes he'll make. I can see SS3 being used a lot more, like when/if Kale attacks Goku, and when/if he goes down the forms when he fights Jiren. I don't see SSB being used a lot. Goku only used SSB when it was absolutely necessary in the manga, and used it against Zamasu at first because he believed he was as strong as Black before powering down.

I don't see Caulifla and Kale being nearly as strong in the manga as they are in the anime. Maybe we'll get different fights out of them. I'd like to see Kale fight against Gohan, since it'd be perfect: two timid Saiyans who aren't really headstrong fighters but have overwhelming strength (this was once Gohan). He could actually feel an understanding for her. I wouldn't mind if Caulifla vs Goku were to be kept in, since I loved that fight in the anime and enjoy their student and teacher dynamic.

I wonder if fights will be quicker in the manga, though. Since I don't see more than one chapter being handled for a single fight unless it's Jiren vs Goku.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:24 am

mfwlegend3 wrote:I can't wait for Toyotaro's version of the current events of the story and what changes he'll make. I can see SS3 being used a lot more, like when/if Kale attacks Goku, and when/if he goes down the forms when he fights Jiren. I don't see SSB being used a lot. Goku only used SSB when it was absolutely necessary in the manga, and used it against Zamasu at first because he believed he was as strong as Black before powering down.

I don't see Caulifla and Kale being nearly as strong in the manga as they are in the anime. Maybe we'll get different fights out of them. I'd like to see Kale fight against Gohan, since it'd be perfect: two timid Saiyans who aren't really headstrong fighters but have overwhelming strength (this was once Gohan). He could actually feel an understanding for her. I wouldn't mind if Caulifla vs Goku were to be kept in, since I loved that fight in the anime and enjoy their student and teacher dynamic.

I wonder if fights will be quicker in the manga, though. Since I don't see more than one chapter being handled for a single fight unless it's Jiren vs Goku.
Ummm... Gohan is not timid.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:25 pm

Meshack wrote:
mfwlegend3 wrote:I can't wait for Toyotaro's version of the current events of the story and what changes he'll make. I can see SS3 being used a lot more, like when/if Kale attacks Goku, and when/if he goes down the forms when he fights Jiren. I don't see SSB being used a lot. Goku only used SSB when it was absolutely necessary in the manga, and used it against Zamasu at first because he believed he was as strong as Black before powering down.

Ummm... Gohan is not timid.
Reread it again. I said this was once Gohan, meaning when he was younger.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:28 pm

mfwlegend3 wrote:I can't wait for Toyotaro's version of the current events of the story and what changes he'll make. I can see SS3 being used a lot more.
Hopefully we see Vegeta use it.

Don't know if this has been brought up but it seems like in the manga at least, Goku might've used UI before Vegeta's fight with Beerus as he asks Whis if Goku got anything higher than Blue and Whis doesn't say anything only for Vegeta to say he just wanted to be sure and that he'll be the one to perfect it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:09 pm

micah007 wrote:New Toyotaro insight/information from his JUMPolice interview. More can be found on Herms twitter in case anyone is unaware.

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/929247795873058818
Toriyama with those corrections.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:50 pm

Miracles wrote:
micah007 wrote:New Toyotaro insight/information from his JUMPolice interview. More can be found on Herms twitter in case anyone is unaware.

I really preferred Toyotaro's take on Marcarita and Velmod's relationship. Toriyama saying that angels don't get along with their Hakaishin contradicts Whis and Beerus who appear to have a good friendship, or even further, Cus and Rumsshi. I like to think it's only Vados and Majito who find their Hakaishin to be a pain in the ass.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:22 pm

mfwlegend3 wrote:
Miracles wrote:

I really preferred Toyotaro's take on Marcarita and Velmod's relationship. Toriyama saying that angels don't get along with their Hakaishin contradicts Whis and Beerus who appear to have a good friendship, or even further, Cus and Rumsshi. I like to think it's only Vados and Majito who find their Hakaishin to be a pain in the ass.
I believe Toriyama stated that the angels are not "that fond of their gods." He didn't say anything about them not getting along.
Besides, romance in Dragonball, isn't really focused or developed on. Toriyama continues his story that way. It would of been a new twist of things tho.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:39 pm

sintzu wrote:
mfwlegend3 wrote:I can't wait for Toyotaro's version of the current events of the story and what changes he'll make. I can see SS3 being used a lot more.
Hopefully we see Vegeta use it.
SS3 shouldn't be used at all.

It's been made clear in Battle of Gods and the Buu arc that it's a flawed transformation. I get that people love to recreate the "leveling up" moment Goku did where he went through the Super Saiyan levels, but at this point he and all the other characters know SS3 is flawed and is a waste of time.

Hell, the story itself made SS3 a waste of time. It was a red herring, with the true crux of the arc being fusion (and later, Gohan's power up). When Gotenks uses it, he loses. It's just meant to be distracting for the reader, so the real plot point surprises.

I think the form is better left in the past, as it shows a regression in character development and really only looked good on Goku. I think all the various DB media that gives SS3 to random characters are all misguided to varying degrees. The manga should just stick to SS1, 2, god and blue.

Or better yet, just SSGod since it was established as being very efficient, while still packing a punch. THAT shows progression and the characters being smart. I don't need the fanservice.

-----------------------------------------

Not my usual kind of post, but we have fun here.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:45 pm

I'm wondering what there gonna do with frost,is he gonna be evil like in the anime :?: is really the one thing i'm curious for along with hit role.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:32 pm

TKA wrote:Or better yet, just SSGod since it was established as being very efficient, while still packing a punch. THAT shows progression and the characters being smart. I don't need the fanservice.
If that was the case, they wouldn't have removed the base with God power state from the story. But either way, it makes perfect sense for Goku & Vegeta to keep using the SS/2/3 forms on weaker opponents instead of easily beating them with SSG/B, since they prefer to challenge themselves & have a fun fight.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:29 am

:yawn:
mfwlegend3 wrote:
Miracles wrote:

That’s not what Toriyama was saying at all. Also, why Velmod?

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:50 am

Spider-Man wrote:I'm wondering what there gonna do with frost,is he gonna be evil like in the anime :?: is really the one thing i'm curious for along with hit role.
In the manga, Frost is not really different from his anime counterpart. They both use cheap taftics to win. For some reason, the anime wanted to portray Frost as being the same as Freeza. Who knows if that’s what Toriyama intended but I doubt it.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:53 am

Meshack wrote:That’s not what Toriyama was saying at all. Also, why Velmod?
If you aren't fond of someone, it's not improbable that you wouldn't get along with that person. So that assumption isn't far off from the equation. I do see Miracles' point. Also, it was a simple and obvious mistake; in fact, a letter off. You know which character I'm talking about here, or I'd at least hope so.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:12 am

mfwlegend3 wrote:
Meshack wrote:That’s not what Toriyama was saying at all. Also, why Velmod?
If you aren't fond of someone, it's not improbable that you wouldn't get along with that person. So that assumption isn't far off from the equation. I do see Miracles' point. Also, it was a simple and obvious mistake; in fact, a letter off. You know which character I'm talking about here, or I'd at least hope so.
Toyotarou wanted to make Belmod and Markarita lovers. Toriyama told him that the Angels are not that fond of their Hakaishin, meaning an Angel wouldn’t fall in love with their Hakaishin because they’re dispatched by Zenoh. He’s not saying that they wouldn’t habe a good relationship. The Angels of the universes with the highest human levels are fond of their Hakaishin.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:21 am

Meshack wrote:Toriyama told him that the Angels are not that fond of their Hakaishin, meaning an Angel wouldn’t fall in love with their Hakaishin because they’re dispatched by Zenoh.
Why did you feel the need to explain this to me? You basically repeated what Miracles had said, which I already told you I agreed with. My point still stands. If you aren't fond of someone, no matter how little, it's not out of the ordinary if you don't get along with them.
The Angels of the universes with the highest human levels are fond of their Hakaishin.
That isn't exclusive to only them. Whis and Beerus have a good relationship, same goes for Cus and her Hakaishin.

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:50 am

i hope they give 17, gohan and frieza a good amount of attention in recruitment