"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:27 pm

Rebel Instinct wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Rebel Instinct wrote:
If you ask me, that's a really poor attitude to have. Wanting something to happen in a story not because it benefits the story, but because it pisses people off is a terrible thing to hope fur - especially if it might negatively impact the narrative or the community. I'd want the best out of a story and for everyone to enjoy what's happening at any given moment. I see this attitude a lot anymore and I just can't wrap my head around it. Then again, I'm not the spiteful sort.
If people are going be mad about something in an anime, especially when fans corrupt the scene, they deserved to be mocked.
That's not what I was talking about. I'm talking about wanting what's best for a story versus hoping the plot does a certain thing in order to get off on petty schadenfreude. Doesn't really matter though, the community will be as hateful as it wants and there's nothing I can do about it. Most people seem to actively want an environment like that, so what do I know? I'm not going to add to the hostility, so I''m not going to argue about it.
Here's the thing, it's sort of a mixture. I'm in the camp that thinks there wasn't anything actually wrong with the "tingly back" stuff and that it was misrepresented by a broader section of the community who took it as yet another mockery of the Super Saiyan transformations, as if that had any dignity left since the Buu saga. So yeah, I think it's funny to see people get worked up over stuff that isn't actually a big deal.

That's just me. What I think would have actually been for the best, and right up the manga's wheelhouse, is if they'd gone into the explanation in a fan-friendly way that doesn't upset people. Like, properly explain it as a technique of ki control that allows Saiyans to release their dormant power. That's what it actually is; "tingly backs" was just the language used by a flustered boy trying to explain it to a complete idiot. That's why it isn't actually a problem, because it's just a different character's take on the process.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:47 pm

Don't know if someone brought this before but as seeing how this chapter was rushed I believe Toyotaro will do the same with the actual tournament, probably giving us the real sensation that the warriors have only have 48 minutes to battle, even though he relies on off-screen eliminations or stronger guys wiping the floor with fodders by the mere act of powering up, I think it still will be a difficult task for him. Hope he handles well.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:21 pm

There is really no indication that the manga is ending. So IF the continuation of Super comes in April 2018, Toyotato now has 1+ year to finish this arc. Ending it in the next 3 chapters would be idiotic.

BWri

Post by BWri » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:02 pm

The gr wrote:
HeroR wrote:
You mean like U6 during the Champa Saga?
I don't know how to answer this,they didn't had any build up and Hit in the show was the only threat but the tournament was successful at making the audience caring for U6 without it you wouldn't even cared for that team.The manga only screwed up with Hit, the others were handled just like the show.
Yeah, U6 tourney was a big fat meh. The whole tourney was predicated on two teams fighting each other, but U6 was barely halfway developed and weren't even very antagonistic aside from Frost. On top of that, they weren't much of a threat. It only works as a U6 character intro to the ToP. If it was the exhibition match instead of the U9 skirmish, the result would be the same instead of making an arc about it.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:10 pm

This is exactly how the anime and manga should co-exist. Yes, the Freeza content in the anime was really great, but it's exactly the type of thing that Toriyama would have left out. These are events that can be left up to your imagination if you only read the manga, but serve as perfect spots for the anime to expand to if they wish to stretch the content they're given.

Also, thank sweet merciful kami we didn't get the anime's Tenshinhan recruitment content.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:51 am

With anime,ending in march,I really hope its own story or becomes weekly and if not that then at least bi weekly.People complaining about gohan's fight and training forget that a monthly manga can't be like a long running anime.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:49 am

Totamo wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
OLKv3 wrote: Or it'll be opposite. She starts with her normal SS form, then goes Berserk
I dont see why theyd do that when the whole thing with her has been learning to control her power but ok
Keep in mind, the anime is not the same as the manga. This chapter should have proved that to you.

I don't see character growth like that happening in this version and also see a lot of fodder including our own being wiped out in one go.
pfft no need for the attitude.

I just dont see why they'd re order the forms when true legendary is her final achievement, and losing control is a downgrade of that form.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:21 am

mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Totamo wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
I dont see why theyd do that when the whole thing with her has been learning to control her power but ok
Keep in mind, the anime is not the same as the manga. This chapter should have proved that to you.

I don't see character growth like that happening in this version and also see a lot of fodder including our own being wiped out in one go.

I just dont see why they'd re order the forms when true legendary is her final achievement, and losing control is a downgrade of that form.
I meant no such thing, I fully understand why you would feel upset by this chapter.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:23 am

Totamo wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Totamo wrote: Keep in mind, the anime is not the same as the manga. This chapter should have proved that to you.

I meant no such thing, I fully understand why you would feel upset by this chapter.
I never said anything about being upset about the chapter, where did you get that impression? Did you confuse me with another poster, or are you just assuming?

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:32 pm

Man I really liked this chapter. I understand people dislike the lack of a Frieza fight and Gohan training, but I can see why they were skipped to make room for U6 when Gohan and Frieza are mainstays who have already had plenty of characterization. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if the volume release includes such scenes. Toyotaro added a couple of pages to lengthen the Vegito fight in the manga for the volume release. They'll find their time to shine in the tournament either way, so I'm not bothered at all.

I will say first, thank god he took out back tingles. Honestly I wouldn't normally care, if it was something that Goku explained earlier as Saiyan biology in the series or something, but it's usage as a bull excuse for Caulifla to unlock not just Super Saiyan, but then Super Saiyan 2 was somewhat infuriating. I definitely prefer the "we went over it off-screen" approach if I'm honest. Caulifla is also less annoying and more sympathetic, given her care for orphans, as well seemingly forming a respectable relationship with Cabba, who is no longer just a punching bag. Cabba knocking her into the wall and convincing her of his strength was very satisfying to me as a Cabba fan, and essentially a reversal of what happened to him in the anime with Kale. She also has a much better reason to be picked for the tournament in my opinion, with the implication she's seemingly one of, if not THE strongest Saiyan on the planet, given her ability to handle the entire Saiyan army by herself. It makes far more sense to pick her in this case than "oh, I guess my old commander's sister will do. He says she's strong."

As for Kale, I'm really happy about how they're handling her this time around. She's become much more of her own character, rather than a simple Caulifla-worshipper. The subtle hints that her power or potential, in addition to being greater than Caulifla's, might actually allow her to overpower (or at least, outspeed) Super Saiyan Cabba while in base was a great way to foreshadow her power. I wouldn't be surprised at all if she had a power level of 10,000 as a baby.

I just seriously hope the manga continues beyond where the anime stops. It'd be a shame if Toyotaro stopped at the Tournament of Power. At least we get the tournament next week.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:44 pm

Dragon Wukong wrote:Man I really liked this chapter. I understand people dislike the lack of a Frieza fight and Gohan training, but I can see why they were skipped to make room for U6 when Gohan and Frieza are mainstays who have already had plenty of characterization. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if the volume release includes such scenes. Toyotaro added a couple of pages to lengthen the Vegito fight in the manga for the volume release. They'll find their time to shine in the tournament either way, so I'm not bothered at all.

I will say first, thank god he took out back tingles. Honestly I wouldn't normally care, if it was something that Goku explained earlier as Saiyan biology in the series or something, but it's usage as a bull excuse for Caulifla to unlock not just Super Saiyan, but then Super Saiyan 2 was somewhat infuriating. I definitely prefer the "we went over it off-screen" approach if I'm honest. Caulifla is also less annoying and more sympathetic, given her care for orphans, as well seemingly forming a respectable relationship with Cabba, who is no longer just a punching bag. Cabba knocking her into the wall and convincing her of his strength was very satisfying to me as a Cabba fan, and essentially a reversal of what happened to him in the anime with Kale. She also has a much better reason to be picked for the tournament in my opinion, with the implication she's seemingly one of, if not THE strongest Saiyan on the planet, given her ability to handle the entire Saiyan army by herself. It makes far more sense to pick her in this case than "oh, I guess my old commander's sister will do. He says she's strong."

As for Kale, I'm really happy about how they're handling her this time around. She's become much more of her own character, rather than a simple Caulifla-worshipper. The subtle hints that her power or potential, in addition to being greater than Caulifla's, might actually allow her to overpower (or at least, outspeed) Super Saiyan Cabba while in base was a great way to foreshadow her power. I wouldn't be surprised at all if she had a power level of 10,000 as a baby.

I just seriously hope the manga continues beyond where the anime stops. It'd be a shame if Toyotaro stopped at the Tournament of Power. At least we get the tournament next week.
That would be seriously interesting. They could make a backstory similar to Broly's where the King would have had her and her parents killed, instead they fled and lived in exile. Or her parents were killed by the King of Salada. Further she hides her power because she doesn't want anyone to know she is the LSSJ otherwise they would try to kill her and everyone she is with so she hides out with Caulifa while hiding her true power. Man, if that happens I would love this character.

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:51 pm

I was mainly joking, though I do think her potential to be substantially stronger than any other Saiyan seen in base form also mirrors Broly in a way that doesn't copy him 1:1 with the Berserk transformation. The manga seems like it'll be going with the original details known about the characters, so Cabba will likely chew out Kale for holding back her monstrous power.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:15 pm

TysonWine wrote:Not to keep this an Anime vs Manga discussion, but the one thing the anime has gotten universal praise for is its portrayal of Frieza. The manga has already dropped the ball on the Frieza hype. Let's see if it will pick up in the tournament.
That's actually something I've hated with the anime. Frieza isn't supposed to be portrayed as "cool" or "hype". He's quite literally an unrepentant child-murdering narcissistic sociopath, who has tortured and killed many characters onscreen and off. In addition, Toriyama made sure to humiliate him at the end of the Namek arc, the beginning of the android arc and again in Resurrection F as comeuppance for his actions. Frieza's only role in the story should be to be humiliated since he's meant to have no redeeming qualities whatsoever, unlike Cell of Buu. That's why I strongly disagree with what the anime is doing, and why I hope Toyotaro remembers what Frieza's role actually is.
Rebel Instinct wrote:It's something that happens surprisingly often in manga works. For example, when Shunsui Kyouraku started using an eyepatch in Bleach, Tite Kubo occasioonally forgot to draw the eyepatch in certain panels. If you're used to seeing and drawing a character a certain way for a long time, it can easily slip your mind when a small detail in the character design changes. Shoot, since Toriyama checks over the manga and makes corrections, he missed it too. I"m not saying it's not an issue, but there are several talented mangaka out there that have this sort of thing happen every now and then. Like with Shunsui's eyepatch, it'll most likely be corrected in the official volume release.
Shunsui's eyepatch didn't just disappear from panel to panel and chapter to chapter. Sometimes it also switched sides. The schedule of a mangaka is rough, especially when your art is as good as Kubo's, so he probably had to pay less attention to certain details and leave that for the volume release. I'm certain this is true for Toyotaro as well.
emperior wrote:It seems like Toyotaro was very rushed this time.
Sadala's moon is cool as hell but the rest of the planet doesn't look very different from how Planet Vegeta looked on Dragon Ball Minus. I was hoping Sadala would be different but it seems like it isn't, at least on the manga from what was shown.
Well yeah, that's how settlers are. The saiyans moved to Planet Vegeta and brought their culture with them. The settlers of the Americas didn't adopt the local infrastructure; they built their own reminiscent of their homeland in Europe. I expect the same from the Saiyans.

However, interestingly, Sadala also has the Bardock Special's and the anime's rendition of Planet Vegeta mixed with Dragonball Minus', as you can see some large buildings in the background that weren't present in Minus.
gammabeast21 wrote:Fans of the manga must make up their mind. Is the manga a great stand alone story? Or is DBS great when you combine them? Because it is shit if you ignore the anime. This is what we know by just looking at manga
Well first of all, it is a pretty good standalone story. Second, there exists a spectrum between "Great" and "Shit". I know internet hyperbole is well-established, but try to break out of it.
gammabeast21 wrote:First time we see Gohan in 20+ Chapters(where it is said he isn't a fighter) and his has resolve changed and is ready for to fight again ( all done off screen).
Nope. He was there at the end of the Future Trunks arc and started training in the gravity rooms at Capsule Corp to get back into shape.
Goku didn't speak to Gohan(his son) at all this chapter and this is the first time they see each other since the 4th/5th chapter of the manga.
Goku doesn't speak to lots of people for years at a time. That's the kind of character he is. I don't see your point.
Freeza negotiations were treated as a gag and remember by looking at manga on its own the last time we saw Freeza was the shitty movie.

As it should be. It's an outrageous proposal. Toyotaro then showed the animosity between the two by having them arrive in disheveled, bloody states.
Krillin is good at running away. No, he is definitely not a skilled tactician and martial artist or something like that.
Yes, because an inelegant, emotionally-undeveloped hick like Goku would say "You're a skilled tactician, Krillin! That's why I need you on my team even if you aren't the strongest around!" You forgetting this is the same Goku that told Piccolo he'd be useless after Piccolo was in the RoSaT during the Cell arc? He isn't malicious; he's direct because he doesn't know any better. He's acknowledging how skilled Krillin is.
Caulifla is strong for no reason. Just because she is the strongest saiyan
No, there is a reason. She's a prodigy. The manga then shows her getting utterly schooled by Cabba once he goes Super Saiyan, which establishes she still has things to learn; things she'll probably pick up in the tournament proper. This sewed the seeds of her wanting to learn from Goku and the other saiyans, who have more transformations than Cabba.
The 1st Female Super Saiyan happened offscreen. Cabbe adds that she achieved it easily with no explanation.
The first female super saiyan hasn't happened in the manga yet. It won't happen until she transforms. When she does, it will likely be a moment suitably intense. I, personally, prefer interpreting how she unlocked the transformation myself when the only other option is the anime's rendition where her tingly back tingles a lot. No thank you.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:13 pm

TheMikado wrote:
Dragon Wukong wrote:Man I really liked this chapter. I understand people dislike the lack of a Frieza fight and Gohan training, but I can see why they were skipped to make room for U6 when Gohan and Frieza are mainstays who have already had plenty of characterization. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if the volume release includes such scenes. Toyotaro added a couple of pages to lengthen the Vegito fight in the manga for the volume release. They'll find their time to shine in the tournament either way, so I'm not bothered at all.

That would be seriously interesting. They could make a backstory similar to Broly's where the King would have had her and her parents killed, instead they fled and lived in exile. Or her parents were killed by the King of Salada. Further she hides her power because she doesn't want anyone to know she is the LSSJ otherwise they would try to kill her and everyone she is with so she hides out with Caulifa while hiding her true power. Man, if that happens I would love this character.
Or the king wanted to kill her because she had a power level of 10.000, her mother wanted to protect her but perished at the hands of the king. However, Kale escaped, her great dormant power preserved her from the edge of death. Kale later on will be found and adopted by Renso, and she will meet Caulifla and they will become best friends. The end.

That's just Broly 0.2
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Analytical Delusion
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Analytical Delusion » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:43 pm

Does anyone think there’s a real chance they cut the manga’s run short in March when the anime ends? Would be absolutely devastating if they did, I’ve really been looking forward to his take for a long time. Would also suck if he’s being forced to cut it short.

My ideal scenario is after the anime ends, Toyotaro’s manga continues (at least) through the end of the year, taking us to the new movie. I know it won’t happen, but would be nice if he finished off the RoF arc in his manga too (would take one or two chapters if they add in the chapters from the promo manga - one to finish off the Freeza fight, and maybe one before or after RoF with more training). Then, he starts on the next arc before the anime (hopefully) reboots in 2019, and gets a head start.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:49 pm

Analytical Delusion wrote:Does anyone think there’s a real chance they cut the manga’s run short in March when the anime ends? Would be absolutely devastating if they did, I’ve really been looking forward to his take for a long time. Would also suck if he’s being forced to cut it short.

My ideal scenario is after the anime ends, Toyotaro’s manga continues (at least) through the end of the year, taking us to the new movie. I know it won’t happen, but would be nice if he finished off the RoF arc in his manga too (would take one or two chapters if they add in the chapters from the promo manga - one to finish off the Freeza fight, and maybe one before or after RoF with more training). Then, he starts on the next arc before the anime (hopefully) reboots in 2019, and gets a head start.
The manga should be able to continue. Kitaro can't take that time slot.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:51 pm

New drawing by Toyotaro:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:12 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:New drawing by Toyotaro:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I miss Lunch. :(

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:25 pm

mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Totamo wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:

That's not what I was saying. I'm saying she starts with her normal SS form. Loses control and goes berserk, then controls it and retains her SS form. Since Kale already can control her ki and such in the manga in base compared to the anime, I suspect she already has some control of her SS form.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:28 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:New drawing by Toyotaro:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I miss Lunch. :(
Better to miss lunch than breakfast. :P

Entering crazy theory mode to get ready for the hiatus hysteria: Toyotarõ drawing Lunch = early Dragon Ball = Dragon Ball reboot on the horizon! :o