"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:53 pm

Dbzk1999 wrote:
TajinRice wrote:Loving how the manga is handling everything. I dont know what gave Toei the idea to have multiple writers and go ahead of the manga. Truly believe this is why Super is being put on the shelf. Because it had no consistent feel or direction. Fans are very upset and turned off by the padding,filler the power scale being off scale. The repeated story lines. How many times are we going to go through Kale transformation and her trying to master it? How many times did we have to go through Jiren defeating Goku but not knocking him off the edge?
Uh, mate? Both of those only happened once unless I’m forgetting something. Kale only attempted to master her berserk transformation while teaming with caulifla against goku. Jiren only best goku once and was stopped from proceeding any further when hit tried to blindside him.
No, it happened twice. Caulifla and Kale vs the Pride Troopers had Kale seemingly control her Berserk state. Then it happened again vs Goku
Jiren defeated Goku and Vegeta multiple times starting with the first Goku and Vegeta vs Jiren episode

Anyway, anyone else curious about the 18/Freeza subplot? I wonder if Ribiranne will prevent 18 from helping Krillin against Frost

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:56 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:I hope so
Let's just hope Jiren vs Hit wasn't in Toriyama's outline. Where TOEI and Toyotaro has freedom to set up the battles. If it is in the outline, we can expect it in the manga too.

TajinRice

Post by TajinRice » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:41 pm

Miracles wrote:
Let's just hope Jiren vs Hit wasn't in Toriyama's outline. Where TOEI and Toyotaro has freedom to set up the battles. If it is in the outline, we can expect it in the manga too.
With you. even so I expect Toyotaro with Akira over looking will make these fights better with more stakes. We probably going to see UI once. Not three times in 25 minutes. I have a feeling Vegetas beyond blue form is strictly anime. It seems to be the mastered blue state or borrowed from it.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:16 pm

TajinRice wrote:
Miracles wrote:
With you. even so I expect Toyotaro with Akira over looking will make these fights better with more stakes. We probably going to see UI once. Not three times in 25 minutes. I have a feeling Vegetas beyond blue form is strictly anime. It seems to be the mastered blue state or borrowed from it.
I agree. That "beyond Blue" in the anime is like a low budget rip off from Mastered Blue from the manga.
Not much thought, last minute power up for Vegeta. Nothing more than a SSJ Blue second grade with sparkles.

The differences between the anime and manga fights should be fun.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:03 pm

Jiren's glutes deserve an appreciation thread.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:20 pm

TajinRice wrote:
Miracles wrote:
I do think that Hit vs Jiren is probably in the outline of the arc. In terms of how Dragonball stories usually play out, I think its a pretty common trend to have the new bad guy completely over-shadow the older character, and I think thats going to be the case here as well.

I will say though, that I really don't think it has any real point if they Toyo does indeed do this in the manga, since Hit really isn't much of an opponent to fuss over there. Hell, outside of a vague remark about how his been training, the last we saw of Hit during battle in the manga, was him being downright humiliated by Goku in Blue.

I to do hope that Goku and Hit do have a fight instead of Hit vs Jiren, to at least demonstrate is indeed a force to be reckoned with, but highly doubt it, espicially considering how Hit went out a very specific point in the anime, and his elimination acted somewhat like a turning point in the arc.

TajinRice

Post by TajinRice » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:14 am

It just sucks that Hit the old antagonist wasnt built up enough to feel like it was time to replace him. Goku didnt surpass Hit and show us. The worse of it is that so far Hit and Jiren are the exact same person. maybe manga is giving Jiren more back story. Maybe he wont turn out to be a Hit copy and paste.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:21 am

TajinRice wrote:It just sucks that Hit the old antagonist wasnt built up enough to feel like it was time to replace him. Goku didnt surpass Hit and show us. The worse of it is that so far Hit and Jiren are the exact same person. maybe manga is giving Jiren more back story. Maybe he wont turn out to be a Hit copy and paste.
But, Hit and Jiren currently are completely different characters from their anime counter-parts(for better and worse). Jiren, unlike his anime counter-part, does have a personality and motive beyond just being really stoic, as was the case in the anime.

Hit on the other hand, is far more emotive and chatty. His anime counter-part on the other-hand is far more reserved and stoic, while also being far more imposing as a antagonist due to his far stronger and more memorable performances against Goku and Vegeta.

So yeah, there is a notable difference between the two of them, in the manga at the very least.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:29 am

JazzMazz wrote:
TajinRice wrote:
Miracles wrote: Let's just hope Jiren vs Hit wasn't in Toriyama's outline. Where TOEI and Toyotaro has freedom to set up the battles. If it is in the outline, we can expect it in the manga too.
I do think that Hit vs Jiren is probably in the outline of the arc. In terms of how Dragonball stories usually play out, I think its a pretty common trend to have the new bad guy completely over-shadow the older character, and I think thats going to be the case here as well.

I will say though, that I really don't think it has any real point if they Toyo does indeed do this in the manga, since Hit really isn't much of an opponent to fuss over there. Hell, outside of a vague remark about how his been training, the last we saw of Hit during battle in the manga, was him being downright humiliated by Goku in Blue.

I to do hope that Goku and Hit do have a fight instead of Hit vs Jiren, to at least demonstrate is indeed a force to be reckoned with, but highly doubt it, espicially considering how Hit went out a very specific point in the anime, and his elimination acted somewhat like a turning point in the arc.
If Goku and Hit does fight in the manga, it most likely wasn't in the outline and something Toyo added because if it was in the outline, Toei wouldn't have made specific episodes in-between arcs with Goku vs. Hit with us finally seeing Hit's assassination techniques. That would have been saved for the main story arc.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:28 am

Cipher wrote:
MajinMan wrote:That’s the thing, it’s a manga. It’s just pictures of characters getting one-shotted out the ring. I never really like Toyotaro’s action scenes all too much, so maybe that has something to do with it.
To each their own, but I didn't mean to condemn it as a montage in the static or uninteresting sense. It offers quick glimpses into a lot of early chaos, but each part we see offers distinct and snappy action. It flows well. Goku dealing with the Pride Troopers, Jiren running off, #17's antics, even Vegeta and #18's quick skirmishes: Everything had a rhythm and personality to it.

On another note, I just reread the chapters in this arc so far, and I have to say: I really like it. Like, not just for Super. This is good extra Dragon Ball material, and feels like a good additional final arc so far. Hope it continues to hold up.
Yah, Toyotaro improved after the FT arc. I liked the recruiting better in the anime, but everything else has been just as good, if not a bit better. Like the exhibition stuff and the start of the tournament.

I know you didn’t like the recruitment stuff in the anime if I remember correctly, but I thought it was pretty cool to showcase all the members the way they did. The space poachers and Tenshinhan/Roshi episodes weren’t good, though. Freeza and Gohan I think were better handled in the anime.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:36 am

MajinMan wrote:I know you didn’t like the recruitment stuff in the anime if I remember correctly, but I thought it was pretty cool to showcase all the members the way they did. The space poachers and Tenshinhan/Roshi episodes weren’t good, though. Freeza and Gohan I think were better handled in the anime.
Freeza's episodes are great and I'm pretty sour on the rest, yeah. They mostly try to sell me a premise (that each of these characters needs and/or will have a triumphant spotlight moment and slapdash emotional arc) that I'm not buying.

Much as I love the Freeza bits in the anime, though, I also find myself enjoying Toyotaro's grumpy, put-out Freeza here. Both feel like completely reasonable ways to handle the character heading into this situation, based on what we know of him prior. Got a good chuckle out of the way Toyotaro draws him in the team friendship circle before they all head out.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:03 pm

I've gotta say, I've turned sour on the anime. I won't go into it here, but suffice it to say, in my opinion, the Super anime sucks hard.

The manga, meanwhile, is a breath of fresh air; the art is spot-on, the characters feel right, and not only is the plotting logical, but the telling of the story is really good... It just feels like Dragon Ball, and I'm so glad Toyotaro and Toriyama are giving us this excellent example of how to do Dragon Ball in the modern day.

I hope Toyotaro does some chapters based on Resurrection F during the hiatus. Maybe a more fleshed-out manga telling of BOG too.
Then you can read the entire Super story from Toyotaro and Toriyama in manga form. :D
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:35 pm

Robo4900 wrote:I've gotta say, I've turned sour on the anime. I won't go into it here, but suffice it to say, in my opinion, the Super anime sucks hard.

The manga, meanwhile, is a breath of fresh air; the art is spot-on, the characters feel right, and not only is the plotting logical, but the telling of the story is really good... It just feels like Dragon Ball, and I'm so glad Toyotaro and Toriyama are giving us this excellent example of how to do Dragon Ball in the modern day.

I hope Toyotaro does some chapters based on Resurrection F during the hiatus. Maybe a more fleshed-out manga telling of BOG too.
Then you can read the entire Super story from Toyotaro and Toriyama in manga form. :D
Welcome to the club.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:42 pm

How do you guys think Goku will get Jiren's attention? Maybe he'll be intercepted by Caulifla and Kale, who turn into Kefla? I just don't see enough big names to make Jiren look in that direction.
There's Hit and Toppo; the rest depends on who Toyotarõ wants to power up. Oh and Dyspo.

I'm also interested in who Vegeta gets to fight. A rematch with Hit would be great and very needed, their fight in the U6 arc wasn't satisfying at all, clearly rushed.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:30 pm

This is how Beerus and Champa relationship should be potrayed in my opinion[spoiler]Image Just playful teasing instead of death threats,he better keep this up.
    It is also interesting to see Tien sense a presence,no different than episode 96.[/spoiler]Also a little annoyed that Zium(Green bird) and the 4 pride trooper weren't taken out this chapter, what is the point of keeping if there just gonna be fodder for U7 especially in Zium case.
    Mostly active on discord.

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:58 pm

LightBing wrote:How do you guys think Goku will get Jiren's attention? Maybe he'll be intercepted by Caulifla and Kale, who turn into Kefla? I just don't see enough big names to make Jiren look in that direction.
    There's Hit and Toppo; the rest depends on who Toyotarõ wants to power up. Oh and Dyspo.

I'm also interested in who Vegeta gets to fight. A rematch with Hit would be great and very needed, their fight in the U6 arc wasn't satisfying at all, clearly rushed.
    It’s probably something simple. I guess completed SSB will get his attention.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:43 pm

prince212 wrote:I like that view and those posts explaining universe of love roots made me understand better, I wasn’t expecting some focus in u2 in the manga and now I’m curious in case that happen
    I am curious to see how much the Manga gives to them as well, I don't try to expect to much since Manga stories usually are more to the point direct in their story telling and shorter, so Unless Ribrianne is kept around for a good deal of time and the writing decides to put some development story on her during that time it is hard to say right now, but be nice if they did.

I am glad that liked that view I gave and it helped you understand the Importance as to Why Toei made the Roots of Universe 2 being about Love as a Homage toward their Magical Girl Franchises which allot of their powers come from Love, not all but allot do and that their franchises are on a Near equal level of importance to Toei as a company as Dragon Ball is. The ToP seemed to be a moment in storytelling that Gave Toei this opportunity to be creative with characters and they decided to Homage many other their lines or other major anime arch-types.

I think a few people online, which makes sense not fully knowing Toei's production history, don't know allot about Toei's Magical Girl History and that would make it surprising that they would add an archetype like Magical Girls to DB. But knowing the history does help clear that up allot I do find when I talk about it, Makes me Happy you are another Fan I talked to that has learned that and it helped you Appreciated my favorite Universe, U2 more and why they are a Part of the Dragon Ball Mythos Now. :)

Peace and Honor to You Prince212. :thumbup:
    --- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
    Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
    Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
    My #1 in DB!
    :thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
    http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

kemuri07
    Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:38 pm

Robo4900 wrote:I've gotta say, I've turned sour on the anime. I won't go into it here, but suffice it to say, in my opinion, the Super anime sucks hard.

One of us. One of us....

Seriously, that one-page spread that showed every fighter brawling was better than nearly anything in the anime. That's what I want from this arc.

prince212
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:08 am

CJStriker_CBR wrote:
    prince212 wrote:I like that view and those posts explaining universe of love roots made me understand better, I wasn’t expecting some focus in u2 in the manga and now I’m curious in case that happen
    I am curious to see how much the Manga gives to them as well, I don't try to expect to much since Manga stories usually are more to the point direct in their story telling and shorter, so Unless Ribrianne is kept around for a good deal of time and the writing decides to put some development story on her during that time it is hard to say right now, but be nice if they did.

I am glad that liked that view I gave and it helped you understand the Importance as to Why Toei made the Roots of Universe 2 being about Love as a Homage toward their Magical Girl Franchises which allot of their powers come from Love, not all but allot do and that their franchises are on a Near equal level of importance to Toei as a company as Dragon Ball is. The ToP seemed to be a moment in storytelling that Gave Toei this opportunity to be creative with characters and they decided to Homage many other their lines or other major anime arch-types.

I think a few people online, which makes sense not fully knowing Toei's production history, don't know allot about Toei's Magical Girl History and that would make it surprising that they would add an archetype like Magical Girls to DB. But knowing the history does help clear that up allot I do find when I talk about it, Makes me Happy you are another Fan I talked to that has learned that and it helped you Appreciated my favorite Universe, U2 more and why they are a Part of the Dragon Ball Mythos Now. :)

Peace and Honor to You Prince212. :thumbup:
    Same goes to you CJstriker !! , talking more about U2 ... Heles is my favorite female design in dbs ... I’m glad the manga show us some of her fight skills , hopefully we’ll get some good writing at least in the final erase moment of u2 tournament , anime was cool , nice vibes
    It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Ki Breaker
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:39 am

TheMikado wrote:

Welcome to the club.
    Yup, it's always good to have another genius mind join in..
    LightBing wrote:How do you guys think Goku will get Jiren's attention?
    SSG outta do it..
    In fact I am sure of it, it's SSG that's gonna get Jiren interested..
    The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker