"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:06 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
OLKv3 wrote: Since he NEVER used SS at all during the ToP, you keep ignoring my main question
He only used Base or Ultimate in the ToP, yet for some reason, you're critiquing the manga only for him not using SS.
You just moved goalposts.

My original comment was that even though Gohan had his Ultimate Form, he could still transform into SSJ. And we see that in the events of Battle Of Gods. You made the assumption that because has his Ultimate Form back, this equates to him not being able to use SSJ anymore, when that was never the case to begin with.
What? My argument stayed the same throughout our entire conversation, go look back. I never once moved goalposts
You bashed the chapter for him not using SS, and I said he never used SS in the anime once he got Ultimate back. You've been all over the place since then while still ignoring my original question, which was why are you calling out the manga specifically for this when he did the exact same thing in the anime.

Edit: now I see. You were complaining about fake tension and I thought you were exclusively criticizing the manga only for it, not both. My mistake, I apologize.
Toyo and Toei seem to operate under the rule that SS no longer gives Gohan a power boost if he has access to Ultimate. That's what I'm assuming since he acts as if Ultimate is his only transformation, unlike Goku and Vegeta who use their other forms
Yeah, that's what I meant. Sorry for not making it clear.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:12 pm

Nah you made it clear, it's my fault for speed reading, I take that L

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:13 pm

So yeah, I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with this particular chapter.

What I liked:

Honestly, the pacing and overall sense of chaos was absolutely perfect. If there's one area that Toyotaro beats Toei at any day of the week, it's definitely his tendency of having the story fit in logically and cohesively with the setting. A battle royale with 80 participants occurring over a duration of 48 minutes is going to be exactly that -- fighters getting eliminated left and right in the blink of an eye, powerful warriors that far outstrip a big percentage of the competition, combatants getting blindsided, and opponents that constantly switch to other opponents at every moment. For better or worse, I genuinely do believe that this is vastly preferable to the anime's constant instances of dragging out storylines far past their welcome, such as Universe 2 for example where the whole "love" schtick was amusing at first but got old quickly after the same themes, gags, and general narrative elements were repeated for what felt like an eternity. If this sort of pacing is upheld -- and it should be -- then never again will I have to worry about sitting through a wasted period with little to no meaningful progression in the arc.

The dynamic between Frieza and Frost was also neat, though it probably won't have as much impact on readers who have already viewed their interactions in the anime. I also prefer Gohan battling against the Trio De Dangers rather than Goku and Vegeta -- it's just a better match-up and I think it did a better job of conveying that sense of danger and unpredictability for the characters that were opting for teamwork instead of just going wild right at the start.

What I didn't like:

As others have no doubt already expressed, Krillin and Tien were eliminated way too easily and way too soon. I'll acknowledge that this might sound contradictory to my praise of the manga's portrayal of a turbulent battle royale at first, but from a reader's perspective, people are naturally going to give more weight to their importance in the story than some of the random mooks that were just introduced in the tournament; that's doubly true when they're displayed in artwork created specifically to market and advertise the arc. I wasn't counting on either of these characters lasting long, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't expect more from them. The whole issue could have been easily avoided, I think, if they were set against opponents closer to their level and were at least given a little action before inevitably getting tossed out of the ring. I can only hope that Roshi doesn't suffer the same treatment.
Last edited by Marlowe89 on Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:21 pm

Kek, if Krillin and Tien were treated like this in the anime the outrage would have been huge. Krillin was handled alright in the anime even if he lost too early, but Tien was still bad in the anime and this is a joke.

I did like Gohan fighting the Trio de Dangers though, I much prefer this then Goku/Vegeta knocking out U9.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Frost's elimination of a Universe was just bland, making him more of just another bruiser instead of a schemer as he's completely punked by Frieza without much dignity. I don't care about Tien and Krillin's eliminations or how much they were given before they were out because the two are meaningless. It's Toyo, he can barely write a decent character care about, so I don't really see it as 'Krillin and Tien got the shaft', I see it as 'Background Baldy 1 and 2 were taken out because of Frieza's dumb ass plan'.
Frost did use some basic strategy here so he isn't some mindless brute and I agree that he did got taken with little fan fare just like the anime but at least he contribute to Frieza convoluted plan.Tien and Krillin needed more screentime like #17, that is one character I care whereas here it happen so brief that it was threated like some kinda gag.Is a shame really since I think Toyo layed down the exposition and have some legit interaction prior to this but he couldn't give Krillin and Tien something like this.
This chapter has that feeling where it feels like nothing really happened, yet you know things did happen. The erasure of the first universe in the tournament should not feel like filler content. I think the only thing I enjoyed was Piccolo being conflicted about taking out the last member of a Universe.
A lot of fighters got out of the ring so that happened since they didn't appear at the exhibition.
Mostly active on discord.

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:52 pm

I completely understand all the fuss about Ten's and Krillin's ringouts but honestly,I couldn't care less about them.
Don't get me wrong,I like them but it feels they're there well...just to be there. One can argue that they could do something memorable before their eventual DQ's,but even then what would be the point? They are fodder compared to much more prominent fighters and it's pretty safe to assume that aside from Goku & Vegeta,the other main U7 guys will be Freeza and 17.

Right now we are in the middle of a process called 'fodder clean up'. Once everyone non important to the grander scheme of things is gone,then we can move on to the hot stuff.
The 2 things I can't wait to see is Caulifla approaching Goku as a mentor and Jiren's character arc. Actually,Caulifla and Jiren are the only new fighters I truly like and thus,I can't wait to see them develop.
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:03 pm

MyNiggaGoku wrote:I completely understand all the fuss about Ten's and Krillin's ringouts but honestly,I couldn't care less about them.
Don't get me wrong,I like them but it feels they're there well...just to be there. One can argue that they could do something memorable before their eventual DQ's,but even then what would be the point? They are fodder compared to much more prominent fighters and it's pretty safe to assume that aside from Goku & Vegeta,the other main U7 guys will be Freeza and 17.

Right now we are in the middle of a process called 'fodder clean up'. Once everyone non important to the grander scheme of things is gone,then we can move on to the hot stuff.
The 2 things I can't wait to see is Caulifla approaching Goku as a mentor and Jiren's character arc. Actually,Caulifla and Jiren are the only new fighters I truly like and thus,I can't wait to see them develop.
And yet the anime was able to give Krillin a pretty solid episode. Tien was still handled poorly in the anime, but at least he did something.

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:14 pm

precita wrote:
MyNiggaGoku wrote:I completely understand all the fuss about Ten's and Krillin's ringouts but honestly,I couldn't care less about them.

And yet the anime was able to give Krillin a pretty solid episode. Tien was still handled poorly in the anime, but at least he did something.
The anime did a good job with Krillin given what they had in Toriyama's script. And also Ten did something besides getting knocked out.I agree with you.
My question is: Would you be ok if a monthly manga spend its pages on moments for characters that are meant to be quickly gone? Majora's & Hermila's(the guys Krillin and Ten fought in the anime) DQ's in the manga will probably be offscreen or a 1 hit ring out by a powerhouse,thus making the sole existence of characters like the afformentioned Earthlings pointless.
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

TheOtherDude
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:22 pm

precita wrote:

Most people probably don’t care about how Krillin fairs in the tournament. I sure as heck didn’t. In fact, I felt that Krillin and Roshis episodes were a complete waste of time. They could’ve used those episodes for other characters in different universes. The only one I’m disappointed about is Tien not getting the attention he deserves. He trains constantly and is somehow “surprassed” by someone who essentially Retired in Dragon Ball.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:14 pm

precita wrote:Kek, if Krillin and Tien were treated like this in the anime the outrage would have been huge. Krillin was handled alright in the anime even if he lost too early, but Tien was still bad in the anime and this is a joke.

I did like Gohan fighting the Trio de Dangers though, I much prefer this then Goku/Vegeta knocking out U9.
There wasn’t any setup for these characters at all. In fact the problem as I see it is that we have this huge marketing campaign which also previously included Buu (bear in mind it’s twice now Buu has been in the tournament marketing) and then suddenly expectations are flipped.

If this was manga first then an no marketing like the old days then we wouldn’t have this mass expectation and hyped marketing campaign. We would have a story and narrative first product as such we would accept it as he manga didn’t set them up and actually keep expectations very low for krillin relegating him to being “good at running away”.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:29 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:So yeah, I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with this particular chapter.

What I liked:

Honestly, the pacing and overall sense of chaos was absolutely perfect. If there's one area that Toyotaro beats Toei at any day of the week, it's definitely his tendency of having the story fit in logically and cohesively with the setting. A battle royale with 80 participants occurring over a duration of 48 minutes is going to be exactly that -- fighters getting eliminated left and right in the blink of an eye, powerful warriors that far outstrip a big percentage of the competition, combatants getting blindsided, and opponents that constantly switch to other opponents at every moment. For better or worse, I genuinely do believe that this is vastly preferable to the anime's constant instances of dragging out storylines far past their welcome, such as Universe 2 for example where the whole "love" schtick was amusing at first but got old quickly after the same themes, gags, and general narrative elements were repeated for what felt like an eternity. If this sort of pacing is upheld -- and it should be -- then never again will I have to worry about sitting through a wasted period with little to no meaningful progression in the arc.

The dynamic between Frieza and Frost was also neat, though it probably won't have as much impact on readers who have already viewed their interactions in the anime. I also prefer Gohan battling against the Trio De Dangers rather than Goku and Vegeta -- it's just a better match-up and I think it did a better job of conveying that sense of danger and unpredictability for the characters that were opting for teamwork instead of just going wild right at the start.

What I didn't like:

As others have no doubt already expressed, Krillin and Tien were eliminated way too easily and way too soon. I'll acknowledge that this might sound contradictory to my praise of the manga's portrayal of a turbulent battle royale at first, but from a reader's perspective, people are naturally going to give more weight to their importance in the story than some of the random mooks that were just introduced in the tournament; that's doubly true when they're displayed in artwork created specifically to market and advertise the arc. I wasn't counting on either of these characters lasting long, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't expect more from them. The whole issue could have been easily avoided, I think, if they were set against opponents closer to their level and were at least given a little action before inevitably getting tossed out of the ring. I can only hope that Roshi doesn't suffer the same treatment.
He already build up Roshi being a bigger deal with how he wasn't afraid of Frost
I'm sure Toriyama made sure that Roshi does something special. It's weird that he's putting him above Krillin and Tien, but meh

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:52 pm

HeroR wrote:I don’t think Tien and Krillin going out so fast covey ‘no one is safe’ since they were the weakest characters and expected to go early. If Vegeta, Gohan, Goku, and 17 got benched within the first second you would have a point. All this really does is make not bringing Goten and Trunks stupid.
Krillin and tien went out because toriyama wanted them to so whats to say that Goten and Trunks wouldn't be the same.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:05 pm

precita wrote:

Thats not what a lot of krillin fans told me. His elimination was certainly polarizing, in fact there was only one time that people were ok with a character getting out and that was Roshi and that was because people didn't want him here in the first place.

Like let's not lie to ourselves here, there was no way this arc could have satisfied the hunger fans had for their favorites and Toei made it worse by dedicating episodes to it, you can say whatever you want about this version but you can't say Toyo built them up to be more than what they were: fodder.

Krillin's showing in the anime is only fine when you take out the fact he had episodes dedicated to him when he beat Gohan and made Goku use blue against him, yes it was suppressed but it doesn't change the color that it was blue, Goku's strongest form.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:13 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
Marlowe89 wrote:So yeah, I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with this particular chapter.

What I liked:

What I didn't like:

He already build up Roshi being a bigger deal with how he wasn't afraid of Frost
I'm sure Toriyama made sure that Roshi does something special. It's weird that he's putting him above Krillin and Tien, but meh
Not for me, no, Roshi was always the best treated human in this franchise. He always went out on his own terms and was never truly defeated in battle in the original. By the time, the power creep happened, roshi was done fighting and didn't show up to become fodder like the other humans did.

I mean think about, Krillin is a meme, tien is a meme and Yamcha is THE meme and no cares about Chiaozu but not Roshi.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:14 pm

With all the complaining about Kurrin and Tien's "use", turned out, they really got "used," didn't they?
The reason why they turned into water boys quickly, Freeza had a way stronger fighter, Frost, target them.
Deceitfully gaining the trust of Frost into partnership by telling him to attack U7 weaker members. Only later to betray Frost.
:clap:
Last edited by Miracles on Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:15 pm

TheOtherDude wrote:
precita wrote:

Most people probably don’t care about how Krillin fairs in the tournament. I sure as heck didn’t. In fact, I felt that Krillin and Roshis episodes were a complete waste of time. They could’ve used those episodes for other characters in different universes. The only one I’m disappointed about is Tien not getting the attention he deserves. He trains constantly and is somehow “surprassed” by someone who essentially Retired in Dragon Ball.
Most people did care how Krillin fared in the tournament and you read posts about it everywhere here and various places. And laughably calling Krillin and Roshi's eps a "waste of time" so you can see random background characters from the other universes that the writers had no plans for is absurd.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:22 pm

TheMikado wrote:If this was manga first then an no marketing like the old days then we wouldn’t have this mass expectation and hyped marketing campaign. We would have a story and narrative first product as such we would accept it as he manga didn’t set them up and actually keep expectations very low for krillin relegating him to being “good at running away”.
That can be said louder , but not more clear.
Anime built bigger expectations than realities with sense in the recruitment part, lots of fans dig that , but this manga puts the feet on the ground . And I liked anime Roshi exceeding expectations but I don’t want that much in the manga ( may be a little bit ) . At the end of the day all is fantasy - unreal so any fan fantasy have a place but unluckily can’t be all reflected in 45 pages per month
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

dragonball0900
Advanced Regular

Post by dragonball0900 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:25 pm

The chapter wasn't that bad, I think most people here already said what I think about it. But what I didn't like about this chapter at all was Roshi's line about being able to handle Frost and not needing Goku's help. Why all the writers seem to overrate Roshi in terms of strength? I don't really get it. Krillin's elimination is just making me feel conflicted about whether or not he is really "the strongest earthling", because I have to be serious, they seem to think that title is for Roshi, and out of nowhere too. I just wonder why they do that? He supposedly retired, while Tien kept training and training, he should be like thousands of times stronger (with Krillin being stronger), even Yamcha should be stronger than Roshi! But somehow the writers seem to have soft spot for Goku's previous master so they decide to make him look cool and all. It could also be because of popular demand, or merchandise, I don't really know. That's why I think Super's power scalling is worse than Z, yeah Z's wasn't perfect, but at least it wasn't over the top like here in Super. Will I even dare to say that even previous arcs of Super weren't that bad in power scaling? Before the TOP, I thought ROF was the one with the worst one. That place has been taken. I'm sorry if I sound like a crazy dramatic person who only cares about power scalling, and that's not really the case (If it was, I would have been complaining a lot about the inconsistencies in Z or Super between BOG - Black arc), but this for me is ridiculous, because Roshi's power up make Tien and Krillin look bad and like the weakest members and make Krillin's position as the strongest earthling unbelievable. Roshi should've been out with them too, but obviously my expectations were dreadfully wrong.

Now I'm feeling the worst of how they will be eliminating Piccolo (I guess it will be that U4 insect again) and how cool Android 18 will look in comparison...

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:35 pm

This chapter was a huge gamble by Toyotarõ; he was successful.

This was all Freeza. Gathering intel and using Frost until he was tired(seems he suspected Frost might have the ability to turn Golden). Likewise Kuririn and Tenshinhan were both pawns to Freeza and Toyotarõ. The latter used them to express that no one is safe and the chaotic nature of the rumble, seen by those who immediately followed Kuririn. Pretty nice to see the Dr. Rota gag being carried over from the anime.

Piccolo's hesitation when confronted with the weight of what he was about to do was a shinning moment. It gave depth to what's going own, instead of just being a good-ol'd run of the mill tournament. It also served to further emphasize villain Freeza, he's not the new Piccolo or Vegeta he's still cold, cruel and waiting to kill some Saiyans.

Like I said before this thread was closed I can relate with those who wanted a bit more mileage out of Kuririn and Tenshinhan. It's fair to want a little bit of fan-service when it wouldn't hurt the story and in the scenario given, it wouldn't. Very manageable to give them a win, no matter how meaningless that would be. But let's face it, anything could be twisted as condescending "you eliminated that random guy Tenshinhan aren't you a strong boy".

Since their eliminations were in favor of the story, I'm completely fine with them. Even if Kuririn is one of my favorite characters, with Tenshinhan also pretty high up there.

TheOtherDude
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:42 pm

precita wrote:
TheOtherDude wrote:
precita wrote:
Most people did care how Krillin fared in the tournament and you read posts about it everywhere here and various places. And laughably calling Krillin and Roshi's eps a "waste of time" so you can see random background characters from the other universes that the writers had no plans for is absurd.
I’d rather have a few episodes dedicated to universes to help empathize with them than to waste it on has been fighters who were completely outclassed.

Just because Krillin is hyped up on this message board does not mean everyone else loves him.