"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Dbzk1999 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:07 am

Asura wrote:I don't see what jeffbr92 said that was wrong. He could have immediately elaborated why he felt that Toyotaro was a bad storyteller, but he's not trolling, and to say to not even acknowledge his post is silly. Posts like that should lead to fostered discussion.
Agreed. Could he have elaborated more? Yeah, but was it necessary to accuse him of trolling and saying his post shouldn’t even be acknowledged? No, I don’t believe it was. This whole spat could’ve been avoided had y’all JUST asked him to elaborate on what he said rather than adding that stuff to it.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:15 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:I've seen many posting what you call "inflammatory single-sentence statement" and I have no issues with these, if I disagree with their opinion I ask for them to elaborate, it's simple. What you did was a storm in a teacup.
Then that there is your problem. We're here to discuss, not spout single-sentence responses like you've just made. I think me questioning whether you were trolling or not really put you off into this state where you thought we were attacking you just because you thought differently than us, when that wasn't even the case. I'd apologize again, but I don't want to after this behavior of yours.
TKA wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:Wasn't you the person who had to be called out by other users for taking as offense them having opinions contrary to yours? That's the pot calling the kettle black.
If you offend someone, instead of saying "I didn't offend you," just apologize, man. Apologize and do better. It literally costs you nothing, but means a lot to other people. This is a discussion. Discussions tend to flow better when people aren't treating each other like children.

Statements like "The manga is trash" mean nothing and further the discussion in no way whatsoever. Statements like "The manga is trash and here's why [include rest of argument here]" actually have value and can be debated and dissected (and you bet your ass I'll be there to pick it apart). That's posting in good faith, instead of this childish poop-slinging. Do better.
It even upsets me even more how you go and try to bring up old posts about TKA just to defend yourself. That is ridiculously childish of you. I apologize TKA and I'm going to delete/edit that post right now. I should've just pmed it to you instead.
batistabus wrote: While I love that metaphor, my initial interaction was suggesting that Exline shouldn't engage with a post that lacks substance. You turned it into an attack on the both of us, so I let you know that sort of conduct isn't what I want to see on Kanzenshuu. Just because you see other people posting crap, that doesn't mean it's okay. The mods can't be everywhere at once.
At first I thought your comment was referring to the way I responded to Jeff, accusing him of being a troll. I don't think we should ignore posts like that. I'm always interested in hearing another explain their argument and my goal was to get him to explain his reason. I don't know where Jeff got the idea I was only questioning him because he had a different opinion. I only asked him to explain and he did.
Dbzk1999 wrote:
Asura wrote:I don't see what jeffbr92 said that was wrong. He could have immediately elaborated why he felt that Toyotaro was a bad storyteller, but he's not trolling, and to say to not even acknowledge his post is silly. Posts like that should lead to fostered discussion.
Agreed. Could he have elaborated more? Yeah, but was it necessary to accuse him of trolling and saying his post shouldn’t even be acknowledged? No, I don’t believe it was. This whole spat could’ve been avoided had y’all JUST asked him to elaborate on what he said rather than adding that stuff to it.
I really didn't think 6 more words in my post would have lead to this haha.

But tbh, he really did try to play victim here. I feel as if he knew what would happen after making that post. Not us disagreeing with his point, but calling him out for his single-sentence post and then taking extreme offense to it.

I feel this escalated to an argument instead of a discussion :(.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:55 pm

Exline wrote:
batistabus wrote: While I love that metaphor, my initial interaction was suggesting that Exline shouldn't engage with a post that lacks substance. You turned it into an attack on the both of us, so I let you know that sort of conduct isn't what I want to see on Kanzenshuu. Just because you see other people posting crap, that doesn't mean it's okay. The mods can't be everywhere at once.
At first I thought your comment was referring to the way I responded to Jeff, accusing him of being a troll. I don't think we should ignore posts like that. I'm always interested in hearing another explain their argument and my goal was to get him to explain his reason. I don't know where Jeff got the idea I was only questioning him because he had a different opinion. I only asked him to explain and he did.
If someone comes in saying "This stinks, I hate it!", it shouldn't be up to other users to have to say "gee, user, now why do you think that?" If you're going to bring something to the table, at least attempt to explain your point. What he posted was no better than trolling, so I don't blame you for asking that at all. Just dropping a loaded, single-sentence opinion aimed at nobody in particular is not contributing to a discussion.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:55 pm

Man, all I can say is that the manga version of the actual tournament is incredibly dull. Forget the story content for a minute. The Goku vs Jiren fight was terrible. I felt nothing watching it, and compared to how the anime handled their first showdown, it’s not even close. I feel the anime was much more enjoyable and tense than the manga.

And then there’s the Hit stuff. It’s pretty much beat for beat the same, except instead of Jiren overpowering time like he did in the anime, he just powered up and moved faster to knock out Hit. I prefer Hit’s characterization in the anime more because he actually felt like a member of team U6, whereas here he felt too “solo.” Overall, I liked the anime take more.

And probably the worst part of the chapter, the art. I am not a big fan of Toyotaro’s take on Toriyama, and when he’s off, it just makes things worse. This looked and felt like a rushed chapter to me, having barely and standout panels and action sequences. I’m just not feeling it to be honest. This is what peole must have felt when they said the ToP was a snoozefest in the anime.

I did however really enjoy the little scuffle Goku had with Dyspo and Toppo at the beginning. That was new and pretty cool.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:03 pm

Exline wrote:We're here to discuss, not spout single-sentence responses like you've just made.
So then discuss. Calling someone a troll and informing other people not to respond to their posts sure as hell isn't the way to start a discussion.
Exline wrote:I feel this escalated to an argument instead of a discussion :(.
It was never a discussion to begin with. No one bothered asking him why he felt that Toyotaro is a bad storyteller, you all just called him a troll.
MajinMan wrote:Man, all I can say is that the manga version of the actual tournament is incredibly dull. Forget the story content for a minute. The Goku vs Jiren fight was terrible. I felt nothing watching it, and compared to how the anime handled their first showdown, it’s not even close. I feel the anime was much more enjoyable and tense than the manga.

And then there’s the Hit stuff. It’s pretty much beat for beat the same, except instead of Jiren overpowering time like he did in the anime, he just powered up and moved faster to knock out Hit. I prefer Hit’s characterization in the anime more because he actually felt like a member of team U6, whereas here he felt too “solo.” Overall, I liked the anime take more.

And probably the worst part of the chapter, the art. I am not a big fan of Toyotaro’s take on Toriyama, and when he’s off, it just makes things worse. This looked and felt like a rushed chapter to me, having barely and standout panels and action sequences. I’m just not feeling it to be honest. This is what peole must have felt when they said the ToP was a snoozefest in the anime.

I did however really enjoy the little scuffle Goku had with Dyspo and Toppo at the beginning. That was new and pretty cool.
I agree with everything you just said, and it also helps me clarify why I did not like this chapter. Like you said, it's incredibly dull. Obviously a fight is almost always going to look better in an anime than a manga because it's animation instead of still drawings, but even, it was just a boring fight. It was a lot more tense in the anime like you said, and the anime did a great job of showing how horribly outclassed Goku was. Another thing someone brought up a few pages back was that in the anime they show Jiren and Goku fighting and flying over the different people in the arena that are also fighting, which was a really nice touch. In the manga version though, it honestly just looks like Goku, Hit, and Jiren are the only people on the arena stage. Everything behind them is usually just blank, sometimes there's a panel or two that shows smoke behind them as if people are fighting.

I also agree that Hit was treated better in the anime than in the manga. In here he gets one shotted after getting too cocky, and like you said he felt very "solo" in the manga, like he had no real presence or did anything for his team at all. Contrast this to the anime version in which Hit literally feels like the team leader, always sticking close to his teammates and even saving them from elimination, and the speech he gives to the U6 Saiyans that they're the only hope left for U6 now, and that he's putting his faith in them was great character development for the lonesome assassin. Nothing like that at all in the manga.

And with your last point, I've seen a lot of people pointing it out too, the art was honestly pretty bad in this chapter, and like you said there weren't any standout panels or great action sequences. Someone a few pages back mentioned how boring the dialogue between Hit and Goku was in terms of how the panels were framed where it's just constantly switching back and forth to facial shots of Goku & Hit instead of anything more interesting happening while they're talking. I hope he at least handles the Ultra Instinct transformation right, although I don't think anything he does will ever come close to beating the special.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:15 pm

Asura wrote:
Exline wrote:We're here to discuss, not spout single-sentence responses like you've just made.
So then discuss. Calling someone a troll and informing other people not to respond to their posts sure as hell isn't the way to start a discussion.
Exline wrote:I feel this escalated to an argument instead of a discussion :(.
It was never a discussion to begin with. No one bothered asking him why he felt that Toyotaro is a bad storyteller, you all just called him a troll.
I asked him to explain his reason in the same post.. And so did batistabus afterwards..

You're over exaggerating the situation right now. I called him a troll once. Nobody else referred to him as one after. Others explained why it may have come across that way due to the structure of his sentence. Batistabus and Jeff had a conversation afterwards when he explained why he felt that way about Toyotaro's storytelling. Please read the posts in this thread carefully next time.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:35 pm

TKA wrote:I don't see how this is an issue. The anime exists. What possible value could there be in a manga that is literally just the anime's story? There is no value in such a thing and it's a waste of readers' and Toyotaro's time.
Man, that's like saying the original manga has no value since it's the same story in DB anime. What I meant to say to batistabus that I would have prefered to (Super) anime to be an adaptation of (Super) manga so we could know what's valid for the original story or not (filler) and etc.
Exline wrote:I'd apologize again, but I don't want to after this behavior of yours.
Stop being overly emotional, I'm not asking for apologies, really. Let's just move on.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:49 pm

jeffbr92 wrote: Man, that's like saying the original manga has no value since it's the same story in DB anime.
I don't even know how to unpack this statement because it's so horrendous.

1. Manga get anime adaptations. Manga are just pictures. Anime adaptations add motion, and sounds.

2. Anime has a broader reach and sexier market appeal than a manga.

3. This is the most important one. TORIYAMA'S MANGA CAME FIRST
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:35 pm

TKA wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote: Man, that's like saying the original manga has no value since it's the same story in DB anime.
I don't even know how to unpack this statement because it's so horrendous.

1. Manga get anime adaptations. Manga are just pictures. Anime adaptations add motion, and sounds.

The third point is the most important one.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:45 pm

I think manga still has value even if there's an anime adaptation, because...

1. The Dragonball anime has bad animation quality because it's so old.

2. I like experiencing a story at my own pace and listening to my own music. I also find information easier to digest when it's a still image and words, rather than a moving picture with dialogue.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:15 pm

MajinMan wrote:I prefer Hit’s characterization in the anime more because he actually felt like a member of team U6, whereas here he felt too “solo.” Overall, I liked the anime take more.
I actually liked Hit's role in the anime well enough for what it was. Unfortunately, once you turn your brain back on, everything falls apart. Don't get the wrong impression; if you like the anime, I'm not implying that you're stupid. All I'm saying is that there are a ton of glaring logical and consistency issues that you have to be okay with in order to enjoy it. I was able to enjoy the anime for the most part, but accepting an otherwise unacceptable amount of silliness was what it took from me.

Yes, the unity of Universe 6 was cute. Who doesn't want to see an old man's insurmountable wall of stoicism be penetrated by the charm of three energetic youths? But why did Hit give a damn about these guys all of the sudden? At the Universe 6/7 tournament, he couldn't care less about anything until Goku was able to give him a challenge. Cabba, Califla, and Kale are all so far below Hit that they shouldn't even be on his radar. Their exchanges are sweet and all, but they don't feel earned or consistent with what Hit cares about. It's not like he's been hanging out with these guys since the last tournament. He says he trusts them to win while he holds back Jiren, but he absolutely shouldn't. Nobody from Universe 6 besides Hit is even in the running for the top 5 strongest fighters at the tournament....unless you count Kafla, who was vastly overpowered in the anime and was somebody that Hit had not yet encountered.

Which brings me to Hit's Time-Prison. This has got to be one of the worst plans ever. Aside from the fact that Universe 6 doesn't stand a chance without Hit in the picture - with or without Jiren to go up against - one stray attack would ruin his whole plan. Regardless of all of that, who knows if he would have even been able to maintain the technique for so long? Why did Hit even develop that technique in the first place? Unlike the Time-Prison, the manga's Time-Shift would have actually been capable of defeating Goku, which is something that Hit has been established to actually care about. And the cherry on top: Jiren breaks out because he is stronger than time. What the hell does that mean? Are they trying to retcon the manga's idea that Hit is only effective against those at or below his level? They don't explain it like that. This is offensively stupid writing.

Let's jump to Hit's fight against Dypso; one of my favorite episodes of the Tournament of Power. The animation was awesome and Bin Shimada's performance was stellar. Regardless, Dyspo is able to contend with Hit because he's able to hear Hit's muscles flex the instant before he Time-Skips. That's pretty clever...if you ignore the fact that it requires Dypso to be able to hear faster than the speed of sound. That either means that Dyspo can hear Hit's muscles flex before the sound waves even reach his ears, or that these characters are moving slower than the speed of sound (not likely at this point). I don't give a damn about feat specifics, and I'm willing to give some suspension of disbelief here in there for the sake of the story, but this is such a glaring issue. I did really like this episode otherwise, and I tried pretty hard to come up with an excuse for how this might be possible. It's not.

The manga doesn't have such blatant problems. Character's aren't exhausted one episode/chapter but back into the fray the next. The payoff has buildup. You can see clear, consistent character arcs. Strategies aren't paper thin. Toyotaro obsesses over these little details many of you seem to glance over or outright ignore.

I don't enjoy Dragon Ball because it's a mindless spectacle. I like it because of Toriyama's easy-to-understand stories that have all of these creative quirks and twists. Toyotaro delivers most of the time while Toei falls short. The original Dragon Ball manga has its fair share of logical issues over the course of its run, but none are as glaring or frequent as the DBS anime offers. The other thing I like about DB is Toriyama's trademark visual style, which Toyotaro replicates better and more consistently than anyone working at Toei...but that's not really a fair comparison.

If you love the anime despite these issues, that's fine. It's not my intention to insult anyone who doesn't find any of these criticisms to be an issue. To me, that's not what Toriyama's Dragon Ball has ever been, and that's not what I want from Dragon Ball Super.
jeffbr92 wrote:What I meant to say to batistabus that I would have prefered to (Super) anime to be an adaptation of (Super) manga so we could know what's valid for the original story or not (filler) and etc.
Same here, man.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:30 pm

TKA wrote:I don't even know how to unpack this statement because it's so horrendous.

I know all of that, didn't think I need to draw to explain that I would prefer Super manga to have the same relationship the original manga had with its anime adaptation. If you're going to reply someone to explain the obvious, don't even bother making a quote to just please your ego.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:32 pm

Manga is a form of art in itself, and I find myself enjoying a good manga more often than a good anime. Panel composition and flow make a huge difference.

Anyway, 'dull' is how I feel about the anime. Ot certainly tries very hard to have impressive, flashy high points to it but I think it falls on its face due to poor execution. A big part of the 'big' moments are imitating similar moments from the original - and it never has the same impact the second time around. Especially if the scene does not fit as well as the original, or the homage is particularly blatant.

Comparing Goku vs Jiren, the only thing extra that the anime had prior to Omen was Kaio-ken (with Kuririn's dialogue about how Goku should have a trump card being ''identical'' to how Tenshinhan described it in the Freza fight) and a Spirit Bomb (that just takes the idea of Pure Boo reflecting it one step further). That wasn't particularly moving.

Omen was cool, but when the full UI was revealed it became quite silly as the drawbacks between the two were nearly identical and Omen just feels like a waste of build up.

Toei may be good at building hype, but they're very bad at delivering on it. Which is the other main issue I have with their big moments, even when they're not imitating earlier scenes.

@batistabus I agree with what you just said about Hit's anime fights. Didn't even think of the Dyspo sound issue, that's interesting.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:12 pm

jeffbr92 wrote: I would prefer Super manga to have the same relationship the original manga had with its anime adaptation.
Those differences are the exact reason why the manga can't work the same way Toriyama's manga did with its adaptation. There is absolutely no benefit to making a 1:1 adaptation of the anime in manga form. The manga's sales didn't pick up until it was clear it was doing its own thing, which indicates most people don't want it the way you do, friend.

This is just such a ridiculous, incomprehensible desire that I simply cannot fathom.
If you're going to reply someone to explain the obvious
I clearly had to explain the obvious since you tried to compare the relationship Toriyama's manga had to the anime with the one Toyotaro's manga has to Super. It is absolutely not a fair comparison (or even a logical one) by any means.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:15 pm

I don’t understand either why people were invested in U6’s “Family” dynamic. I never really saw it that way and it didn’t make sense for Hit since he did not spend much time with the rest of the of his teammates.

Somebody mentioned this; Hit using his time-skip to save his teammates. I enjoyed that in the anime. Was hoping Toyotarō could have implemented that into the manga.

Although Rebel Instinct informed me how Manga Artists have such intense schedules, I still feel this series would benefit from a Weekly/Bi Weekly Schedule. These monthly chapters are honestly unbearable. Most of the chapters were great,but for the ones that aren’t, it really feels like such a smack in the face. Waiting all month for a mediocre chapter isn’t the way to go.

If he could have been given assistants to help out, it would’ve been even better to alleviate the stress of being a mangaka. Having someone do backgrounds to fix his poor sense of scale would be an even greater contribution.

For some reason, this chapter felt like such a heavily padded anime episode. The choreography after the SSJ2 Fight became repetitive. Goku uses another kamehameha, Jiren just keeps blocking and punching away Goku and Hit. Toyotarō also reuses a fight scene where Jiren grabs both of Hit’s hands and kicks him. Goku does the same exact thing against Frost in the U6 Arc. Toyotarō needs to become more innovative and creative with this series. Him and the anime staff are lacking in that department sometimes.

I also believe that fewer pages per chapter can help Toyotarō with his storyboarding. The limited amount of pages and shorterened schedule may encourage him to use less panels, making these pages feel less bloated as well.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:25 pm

Exline wrote:If he could have been given assistants to help out, it would’ve been even better to alleviate the stress of being a mangaka. Having someone do backgrounds to fix his poor sense of scale would be an even greater contribution.
As far as I understand it, there's no reason to believe Toyotaro does or does not have assistants. If anything, I think it's more likely that he does. He is producing a monthly serial for Shueisha, after all.

Since this chapter is getting so much criticism for it's supposed below-average art, I think I'll post some of my favorite panels.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Toyotaro's ability to draw hands well shouldn't be understated.

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zen Yabuki » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:45 pm

Probably best describes how I feel about it. Manga ToP is just dull/boring to me so far, but I don't find it terrible.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:08 am

MajinMan wrote:Man, all I can say is that the manga version of the actual tournament is incredibly dull. Forget the story content for a minute. The Goku vs Jiren fight was terrible. I felt nothing watching it, and compared to how the anime handled their first showdown, it’s not even close. I feel the anime was much more enjoyable and tense than the manga.

While I do agree with most of this, there was really no way Toyo would ever top Goku vs Jiren round 1. The hour special was one of the best episodes of DBS, if not the best

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:10 am

As someone who has read Bleach (very minimalistic use of backgrounds) and One Piece (very cluttered panels), I cannot overstate how much backgrounds can break a panel.

The creator of Bleach once said he instructs his assistants not to draw in backgrounds in many panels because they detract from the characters by making a reader’s eyes dart around the panel instead of focusing on the character. In most cases, he’s absolutely right. Backgrounds exist to tell you where characters are, the scale and so on, but after a couple establishing panels, they really don’t need to be in every panel or even every page.

Accuse Bleach of whatever you want, but it’s pretty damn hard to deny that Tite Kubo is a fantastic artist. This Super manga, which is cluttered with text bubbles doesn’t also need backgrounds filling up most of the panels too.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:17 am

TKA wrote:As someone who has read Bleach (very minimalistic use of backgrounds) and One Piece (very cluttered panels), I cannot overstate how much backgrounds can break a panel.

The creator of Bleach once said he instructs his assistants not to draw in backgrounds in many panels because they detract from the characters by making a reader’s eyes dart around the panel instead of focusing on the character. In most cases, he’s absolutely right. Backgrounds exist to tell you where characters are, the scale and so on, but after a couple establishing panels, they really don’t need to be in every panel or even every page.

Accuse Bleach of whatever you want, but it’s pretty damn hard to deny that Tite Kubo is a fantastic artist. This Super manga, which is cluttered with text bubbles doesn’t also need backgrounds filling up most of the panels too.
Yeah, There doesn’t need to be backgrounds in every panel.

My problem with Toyotarō is his pages with so much dialogue. He breaks them into so many panels that are just facial shit to another facial shot. That doesn’t need to happen. Each speech bubble doesn’t need its own panel.

The dialogue is great don’t get me wrong, but the pages with just nothing but close ups on character’s faces is rather boring.

It’s why i suggested a panel where Goku and Hit discuss how to beat Jiren within 3 or so panels. One facial shot of Goku, one of Hit, then the next panel focuses on Jiren slowly walking towards them, displayed in a Very intimidating manner. A typical shot, but I’d find it more enjoyable than just going from face to face per sentence. I find that just as distracting as if it were to have multiple backgrounds.