"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:37 am

1 step forward with the manga, 5 steps back.

17-"Yeah, I totes tamed the mini-Cells that were just as psychotic as that Kid Buu guy a few years back, not to mention a bit more sadistic, yo!"
Krillin-"I thought they were dead?"
17-"Wah? Nah. Even though big Cell fully regenerated in a matter of maybe a couple of minutes, and those little guys being almost as powerful, they just took a ton longer dude!"
Krillin-"Did you hit your head or something?"

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:44 am

prince212 wrote:I like this u.i , just the nose seems different but it’s welcome
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Like the idea here.

Execution, sadly, just isn't there though. The drawing is kind of broken. His left arm isn't connected to his body, and I feel like Toyo still needs work on foreshortening. Right now, instead of looking natural, the foreshortening is segmented, Instead of making Goku's torso look like its dynamically arching forward, it looks just really fat. I think the coloured version kind of highlights that.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Hope he continues working at it though.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:33 am

As we have done in some prior months, we will continue with our experiment of temporarily locking the main discussion thread until the upcoming chapter's official release:

JAPANESE: Saturday, July 21 (September 2018 issue of Shueisha's V-Jump magazine; print)
ENGLISH: Saturday, July 21 (Viz's official website; digital)

This is done in order to encourage and foster legitimate, educated discussion based on a comprehensive knowledge with the entire contents of the chapter, rather than based on haphazard selections and questionable translations.

NOTE: This is not an invitation to create additional/supplemental threads to discuss illegal leaks. This thread will be re-opened by moderation staff at an appropriate time; there is no need to message anyone about it further.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Khandom101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Khandom101 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:07 am

After reading this manga chapter. I've got to say, the anime version of the top arc far surpasses anything that the manga has put out thus far.
Jiren is a huge disappointment, the main antagonist feels like a cheap side character that Goku has to fight in the end. Compared to his anime counterpart, he has no real impact or presence in the story at all and don't get me started on kale like literally she eliminated 4 universes just by her self. like is toyotaro even trying anymore (not that he was doing better before).

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:19 am

No Super Saiyan 2 for Cabba and Caulifla? Well, hopefully Kafla gets it.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:38 am

4 universes gone in one chapter. Jeez

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:41 am

Way too rushed sadly.
Kale doesn't even get near Broly's buffness(was Toyotaro uncomfortable drawing a big muscular woman?)
Aniraza wrecked instantly and Goku and co. don't get to fight a lot of these interesting fighters.
At least Gohan against Kefla next time seems interesting, but you'd normally expect Kefla to stomp, so who knows.
At least I realized a long time ago, that this story arc just does not fit a manga format, so my expectations weren't high and keeping focus on the most important characters was the logical way to handle it.
It's just a shame though.

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:50 am

Absolutely disgusting chapter and rushed as hell. Fighters like Maji Kayo, Anilaza, Shantsa or Obuni didn't have enough time to show their abilities. The only good thing from this is Cabba saving Kale and when Universe 11 is beating her to a pulp. Yet again Nigrisshi didn't show anything, but I think he was able to merge with the others into Anilaza.

Oh I almost forgot. Kale eliminated both Namekians from her team - another wasted characters in the manga.

Anime version is much superior, at least in this case.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:50 am

I'm incredibly disappointed by these past few chapters.

I use to defend the art, storytelling, dialogue writing... but I just don't know anymore. The art is questionable at times and the story boarding can be a bit repetitive and boring.

Today's chapter did great with characterization involving Cabba, Vegeta, Caulifla, Kale, and even Jiren. I wonder if anyone will recognize how Jiren is beginning to show signs of him not caring much about his team being in danger. He hasn't really helped his teammates at all if any of you think about it.

However, it isn't enough to justify the sheer laziness that has been going on with these past chapters, in terms of eliminations. Kale getting rid of 1/4 of the ToP Contestants is such a shitty move. Even Anilaza was wasted. I feel this is incredible bias on Toyotaro's part towards Broly in some way? I hear he's a huge fan of the character and I've got some odd feeling he probably even had some say in his return that motivated Toriyama.

Back to the eliminations, I feel they were poorly handled and were done just to get this arc out the way as quickly as possible so Toyotaro can begin work on this new Broly Story. These universes were eliminated without any fanfare. We can't feel attached to any of them in the manga's adaptation and it just takes away the impact their erasure's had in the anime.

I am a bit sad I am no longer excited about new manga chapters from Toyotaro. He's really butchered this arc. He did so wonderfully with the U6 Arc and Future Trunks Arc. It just really feels like he wants to get this out of the way as soon as possible, as if he doesn't care. Even the power scaling is out of wack and we used to praise him for making it somewhat consistent.

One of the worst chapters since this arc started.

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Omniboy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:53 am

I'm am not sure how I feel about the decisions in some of this. On one I hand, I am all for getting rid of fodder fast, but on the other hand there were too many universes erased in one chapter. So much so that they had very little impact on my feelings of them. I understand that they are fodder but their eliminations happened so simultaneously. I'm am also not sure how I feel about Kale eliminating her own teammates. It feels like a dumb decision. I would have liked to Roshi fight the Namekians, or even Piccolo (but it's to late for that now.)

But regardless, I am happy with the rest of the chapter. I know a lot of people are upset at the amount of fighters that were erased, but most if not all of them were so forgettable and boring in the anime, that I felt that nothing of value was lost.. but that's just my opinion. Kale's destruction was fun to watch, Cabbe's sacrafice was well done, his struggle as well Caulifla's struggle to put the earring on Kale was also done well, and I am eagerly waiting for Kefla who was my favorite part of the anime.

EDIT: Although then again, it does feel like he is rushing too much. But I have no clue if this has anything to do with the movie or not. If so, and he does have a set deadline, that sucks. Still, even though I don't like how the anime handled these characters, there does need to be a middle ground for how long some of them last.
Last edited by Omniboy on Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:54 am

Really enjoyed this chapter a bunch of good stuff with a pretty clear weakness.

Positives:
- Giving some drama to the Kale situation and not having characters punch their way to solve the problem.
- Caulifla stealing the earrings is pretty cute and meshes better.
- Kale not being broken. She's pretty strong but still not above "God Tier".
- Universe's 11 teamwork being highlighted and actually working, nice reference to their work as heroes.
- Vegeta using spirit sword and continuing to tutor Cabba.
- Cabba's role in the chapter.

Negatives
- Poor transition. Goku goes from being with Freeza and dealing with Kale to back to Jiren at the end, it wasn't well done. At least show Freeza and Goku reacting a bit more if they decided to ignore Kale, which I doubt Freeza would do because he's vengeful and Kale's a Saiyan. Off-character behavior from Freeza.
- Rushing the elimination of a bunch of characters. We've had this discussion before and I never considered Toyotarõ rushing anything before, he just didn't bother giving importance to the random enemies when they don't matter and that's fine.
This was without a doubt an excuse to quickly dispatch the characters, even the way it's presented all shoved in the early part of the chapter. Anilaza didn't need to be important but the way he goes out is once again a product of rushing.
Last edited by LightBing on Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:04 am

At this point, I feel like I have to wait until we get to the final stages of the ToP for anything to have impact.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:20 am

I much prepare the manga’s approach to Kale and Universe eliminates over the anime’s. The anime’s biggest problem was effectively making U7 responsible for every major fear in the Tournament of Power while also slowing the pace down to a crawl for no real reason. It’s not as if the anime actually gave depth to the other universes.

The manga using Kale to get rid of all the fodder is a smart move, and one that actually gives Kale some narrative weight, something the anime utterly failed to pull off.

This was a great chapter that handled the U6 Saiyan trio really well. I much prefer Cabbe’s exit here and, while I’m bummed we won’t be getting UI Goku vs Kafla, it’ll be interesting to see how Gohan fares against her.

Overall, I’m pleased with the manga’s ToP, and this chapter will hopefully lead to the next few chapters being far more focused.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:25 am

I just realized that we are in the top 12 and Muten Roshi is still in it. I did not expect this scenario.

I expect Gohan to be eliminated quickly by Kefla so he has a good chance of making the top 10.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:25 am

Wy can't Kale suddenly no longer keep up up with the troopers while she first takes on Golden Freeza and all those universes?
Hopefully it's not just a major inconsistency and the English translation gives us some more clarification on that issue.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:27 am

Mister_Popo wrote:Wy can't Kale suddenly no longer keep up up with the troopers while she first takes on Golden Freeza and all those universes?
Hopefully it's not just a major inconsistency and the English translation gives us some more clarification on that issue.
The english translation is out on viz.com, so you can check it out now, if you want to.
Here reddit link with the direct link to the chapterhttps://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/9 ... it-android
Last edited by dbgtFO on Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Omniboy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:29 am

Mister_Popo wrote:Wy can't Kale suddenly no longer keep up up with the troopers while she first takes on Golden Freeza and all those universes?

The pride troopers were rapidly moving around her to confuse her and attacking her from behind when she was least prepared. Golden Frieza was holding back.
Last edited by Omniboy on Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Omniboy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:30 am

EDIT: Nevermind, problem fixed. Nothing to see here.
Last edited by Omniboy on Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:32 am

It's explained by Vegeta and Whis: "brute strenght is useless unless it can connect", "but we also have universe 11's stellar teamwork to thank. They've always fought as a team, so they're ready to adapt to given opponent instantly".

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:33 am

dbgtFO wrote:
The english translation is out on viz.com, so you can check it out now, if you want to.
Here reddit link with the direct link to the chapterhttps://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/9 ... it-android
I can't download it for some reason, i always have to wait till someone downloads it and puts in on Youtube.

"CONTENT NOT AVAILABLE

Unfortunately this content is not available in your location. Please visit the home page to learn more about Shonen Jump. "