"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by prince212 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:28 pm

Hype is in the highest level since the beginning of future trunks arc. Anime version .
Hopefully more to come , big plot twist next chapter , Moro will show still a little ... too soon to see his full abilities, let the dragon balls or whatever make him be at maximum level .
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:50 pm

TKA wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:Toyo completely destroyed the Moro hype from last chapter. Dude's basically just Cell, Piccolo and Babidi put together. Toriyama made the same mistake by immediately revealing Cell's mystery. He managed to salvage it somewhat and Toyo might too with the magical abilities being teased, but I doubt it.
Literally none of the mystery was revealed.

Something tells me you just watched MistareFusion's Cell critique and then just randomly applied it here.
His entrance and backstory are very reminiscent of King Piccolo's and the feeling of his ki is also something we've seen from Cell. Moro now seems a lot more ordinary than he did last chapter. There's also the fact that he's on Namek of all places, I'm dreading the thought that there might be a small chance his wish is to restore his youth or power, I seriously hope Toyo just has him absorb people to achieve that as his current plan seems to be.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:31 am

TheUltimateNinja wrote: His entrance and backstory are very reminiscent of King Piccolo's and the feeling of his ki is also something we've seen from Cell. Moro now seems a lot more ordinary than he did last chapter. There's also the fact that he's on Namek of all places, I'm dreading the thought that there might be a small chance his wish is to restore his youth or power, I seriously hope Toyo just has him absorb people to achieve that as his current plan seems to be.
I'm glad you now understand that none of the mystery has been revealed.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:33 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:
TKA wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:Toyo completely destroyed the Moro hype from last chapter. Dude's basically just Cell, Piccolo and Babidi put together. Toriyama made the same mistake by immediately revealing Cell's mystery. He managed to salvage it somewhat and Toyo might too with the magical abilities being teased, but I doubt it.

Something tells me you just watched MistareFusion's Cell critique and then just randomly applied it here.
His entrance and backstory are very reminiscent of King Piccolo's and the feeling of his ki is also something we've seen from Cell. Moro now seems a lot more ordinary than he did last chapter. There's also the fact that he's on Namek of all places, I'm dreading the thought that there might be a small chance his wish is to restore his youth or power, I seriously hope Toyo just has him absorb people to achieve that as his current plan seems to be.
Are you serious? Of course something about Moro will be unveiled and has already been unveiled, but there’s still nothing confirmed about what his goals are, what the full extent of his power is, what his backstory is, why he is evil etcetera.
He may not even have any mystery like Freeza to be honest. Maybe he’s just an evil guy who wants to absorb as much energy as he can and wants to get revenge on the Galactic Patrol.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

cantwaitanymore
Not-So-Newbie

Post by cantwaitanymore » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:19 pm

I got a feeling this will be the arc where we see what a powerhouse Beerus really is. Beerus vs Moro anyone ?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:55 am

cantwaitanymore wrote:I got a feeling this will be the arc where we see what a powerhouse Beerus really is. Beerus vs Moro anyone ?
That kind of defeats the purpose of what we have seen from him so far

cantwaitanymore
Not-So-Newbie

Post by cantwaitanymore » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:09 am

PFM18 wrote:
cantwaitanymore wrote:I got a feeling this will be the arc where we see what a powerhouse Beerus really is. Beerus vs Moro anyone ?
What makes you say that?

ironfist2020
Banned

Post by ironfist2020 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:37 am

does anyone know where i can find a colored db super manga? i know officialy its not out but fan made are probably out there

ssj3kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssj3kakarot » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:10 pm

I'm all for having Beerus show what an O.G. he is. However it takes some of the tension away with how they have handled him previously.

What if Beerus and Moro know each other, and they use to spar with one another, even friends? So Beerus refuses to help Goku and Vegeta fight him? It has some holes in it, but literally just came to my mind. That way, we get some flash backs of Beerus vs Moro, thousands of years ago. It gives us a vague idea of how much stronger Beerus could be than Goku and Vegeta, but still gives some tension because we know he wont bail them out. Thoughts?
" I swear on that faith I can never back down now" - Goku

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:08 am

cantwaitanymore wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
What makes you say that?
The entire premise of Moro's combat that makes him interesting is that he isn't a powerhouse, but rather he has incredible magic abilities. If he became super strong, it would make hyping up his magical abilities seem pointless.

cantwaitanymore
Not-So-Newbie

Post by cantwaitanymore » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:54 am

PFM18 wrote:
cantwaitanymore wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
What makes you say that?
The entire premise of Moro's combat that makes him interesting is that he isn't a powerhouse, but rather he has incredible magic abilities. If he became super strong, it would make hyping up his magical abilities seem pointless.
I dont mean in battle power sense, altough we dont even know his full capabilities, he is fighting Vegeta at a hint of his power from 10m years ago. Obviously he is a huge powerhouse with magic and is a huge threat, the dude eats planets, a threat Beerus will probably need to deal with. Also, his design seems very interesting, he is clearly taking upon Baphomet=Satan, which could mean that he is fallen angel in dbs.
Last edited by cantwaitanymore on Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

cantwaitanymore
Not-So-Newbie

Post by cantwaitanymore » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:01 am

ssj3kakarot wrote:

I'm all for having Beerus show what an O.G. he is. However it takes some of the tension away with how they have handled him previously.

What if Beerus and Moro know each other, and they use to spar with one another, even friends? So Beerus refuses to help Goku and Vegeta fight him? It has some holes in it, but literally just came to my mind. That way, we get some flash backs of Beerus vs Moro, thousands of years ago. It gives us a vague idea of how much stronger Beerus could be than Goku and Vegeta, but still gives some tension because we know he wont bail them out. Thoughts?
Thats highly unlikely. We saw Moro fighting South Supreme Kai and Daiokaih. No GoD was there to defend the kais, and Supreme Kai used a technique so powerful he thought teaching it to anyone would be too dangerous. The technique drained pretty much all of his god powers.

The Beerus - Moro `relationship` will for sure need to be brought up, at least as far as to know why wasnt a GoD present there when 2 kais where fighting Moro. What we know of Moros power isnt really in his fighting, its his magic, so i doubt he would be much of a sparring partner to Beerus.

I truly believe Moro is a threat that Beerus will have to take care of and idk if he will suceed.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:30 pm

This arc could end with Beerus jumping in since it'd be a way to avoid a new transformation, fusion (or UI) while still hyping Moro's abilities if it takes Beerus in a serious battle to put him down.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:27 pm

emperior wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:
TKA wrote:

Are you serious? Of course something about Moro will be unveiled and has already been unveiled, but there’s still nothing confirmed about what his goals are, what the full extent of his power is, what his backstory is, why he is evil etcetera.
He may not even have any mystery like Freeza to be honest. Maybe he’s just an evil guy who wants to absorb as much energy as he can and wants to get revenge on the Galactic Patrol.
That is good ole Dragonball for you. Villains not really being portrayed with "grey area" motives [Zamasu being an exception]. They are evil cause they like it and just are. I get that vibe from Moro. He is a guy who is older than dirt and seems to love causing havoc and relishing in his own arrogance through his power.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:55 pm

batistabus wrote: As for the return of his magic, I'm betting it had something to do with the changes Boo went through when he purged the evil from his body. He said it mysteriously happened a few years ago, so one way or another, it probably had something to do with the Boo arc.
This is an interesting bet that has sense . Now , why he waited for years after his magic came back to break out the jail ...
Makes me think he was recharging vital energie or something like that with the help of a third party that we still don’t know or is an unconscious part of buu himself ...
When the great lord of lord used kai kai matoru technique to seal Moro’s magic .. where the seal product was , inside of Moro or inside of great lord of lords ...? Yeah your theory has so much sense .. boo killed , seal away . May be magic came back little by little from fat boo and that explain why it took some time for Moro to have some magic enough powerful to break out jail .
Lots of possibilities, I like it

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:23 pm

Honestly, it would've been more interesting and mysterious if the flashback didn't show the forbidden technique that the grand kaioshin used to seal Moro's powers. Preferably, skip that part of the battle altogether where he tries to use it against Moro. Because it's kind of silly how he can just be easily zapped by an energy beam and have his magical powers be done just like that.

I mean, at the height of his magical powers the best we've seen him do was bring down meteorites, but even that doesn't feel overwhelming or powerful at all.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:57 pm

2 chapters and a half is not enough to evaluate this arc at all , what looks something well done can become horrible and vice verse

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:43 pm

I think I see why this arc hasn't gripped me. It's too linear.

Let's look at how the various arcs tend to start in Dragonball:

Saiyan Arc - Goku is an alien. Goku's brother. Goku has a kid now. Piccolo and Goku team up because this guy is such a big deal. Goku fucking dies.

Frieza Arc - Someone so strong Vegeta is scared of him. Vegeta is now a protagonist of sorts. Everyone is dead, so they have to go to a new planet. Massive changes to the status quo.

Android Arc - A saiyan from the future who is Vegeta' and Bulma's kid shows up, turns Super Saiyan and makes quick work of the previous big bad and his newly-revealed father. Then, it's revealed Goku will die and the red ribbon army is behind this

Buu Arc - Hey Goku's coming back to life for a tournament! Hey there's some spooky guys at this tournament... Oh these spooky guys are super god and his assistant. Hey who are those bald dudes! Oh no they're evil! Super God needs help fighting a wizard! The wizard wants to revive a monster! Now we're in a space ship and we have to fight three enemies on different floors including the demon king that the wizard subdued... Okay we did that and now- GOD DAMN IT VEGETA! Goku vs Vegeta!

Battle of Gods - God of destruction wakes up. Super Saiyan God prophecy. He beats up Super Saiyan 3 Goku in an instant.

I could go on, but eh. You get the idea. This is just a boring start to the Arc. If this didn't have Dragonball characters I wouldn't be intrigued enough to read a third chapter of this arc.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:13 am

TKA wrote:I think I see why this arc hasn't gripped me. It's too linear.

Let's look at how the various arcs tend to start in Dragonball:

Saiyan Arc - Goku is an alien. Goku's brother. Goku has a kid now. Piccolo and Goku team up because this guy is such a big deal. Goku fucking dies.

Frieza Arc - Someone so strong Vegeta is scared of him. Vegeta is now a protagonist of sorts. Everyone is dead, so they have to go to a new planet. Massive changes to the status quo.

Android Arc - A saiyan from the future who is Vegeta' and Bulma's kid shows up, turns Super Saiyan and makes quick work of the previous big bad and his newly-revealed father. Then, it's revealed Goku will die and the red ribbon army is behind this

Buu Arc - Hey Goku's coming back to life for a tournament! Hey there's some spooky guys at this tournament... Oh these spooky guys are super god and his assistant. Hey who are those bald dudes! Oh no they're evil! Super God needs help fighting a wizard! The wizard wants to revive a monster! Now we're in a space ship and we have to fight three enemies on different floors including the demon king that the wizard subdued... Okay we did that and now- GOD DAMN IT VEGETA! Goku vs Vegeta!

Battle of Gods - God of destruction wakes up. Super Saiyan God prophecy. He beats up Super Saiyan 3 Goku in an instant.

I could go on, but eh. You get the idea. This is just a boring start to the Arc. If this didn't have Dragonball characters I wouldn't be intrigued enough to read a third chapter of this arc.
You are partially right. Although the tournament arcs are also linear yet they work well.
Also, I think it’s too early to say whether or not this arc is linear. It may end up being very linear, but I actually expect it to have a few twists here and there and I for sure don’t expect anything but a bad outcome for Goku and Vegeta out of this fight.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:34 am

I'd think it really comes down to one's tolerance for smaller-scale arcs in the overarching franchise.

None of these modern tales feel especially non-linear to me. Even the Future Trunks arc - for as much as it likes to indulge in its own back-and-forth time travel and crazy temporal exploits - is played straight, consisting of the same protagonists constantly gunning for the same baddie from start to finish (although the mystery did mitigate that somewhat). Super in general doesn't seem to care much for the twists and turns of old; what you see is what you get.

Personally, I think it's all very fitting for a 'lost period' setting prior to the main series' epilogue. As long as the arc doesn't operate under more winding pretenses than its story wants to accommodate, I'm peachy.