"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by Low Tone G » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:47 am

Dayspring wrote:
Cold Skin wrote:
Hitiro wrote:So is Super going to cover the events up till BoG and FnF then continue past them?
Precisely, that's what was announced in the V-Jump.

Taken straight from Kanzenshuu's main page translation:
"This series is a super tale that depicts what happens “afterwards” to Goku and the gang following the titanic battle with Majin Buu, and links up with the movies Battle of Gods and Revival of “F”!!"

It starts before Battle of Gods all the way to after Resurrection 'F'. Apparently.
So it's essentially retconning the OVA and films, replacing them with retellings of BoG and RoF set closer to the Buu saga. Meh. Hope there's enough time to show more than just that.
Not entirely. We are not speaking about BOG yet. This is way before that. The only change so far is that Beerus should sleep but he destroys planets instead. There's still a chance that he will return sleeping and will have the dream about the Super Saiyan God, just like he tells it it BOG.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:57 pm

All this talk about "his actual awakening." He's awake. We see he's awake. He blows up a planet and tells Whiz about Super Saiyan God. Blowing up the planet is what alerts the Kaioshin. It's not like series proper has never ignored a movie before, so why is everyone trying to shoehorn them in?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:04 pm

^ It's not about that, it's about the fact that people should not jump the guns.
There is no proof that the movies don't happen exactly as we saw them for now, we have to wait to see episodes (and probably more than just the first one) to know for sure.

So there's no "movies are rewritten" until it is proven. And it is far from being proven right now, especially when you consider Toei probably won't want to sell the Resurrection 'F' blu-ray saying "buy the movie that shows things that never actually happen that way in the end and will soon be completely retconned".

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:16 pm

Dayspring wrote:All this talk about "his actual awakening." He's awake. We see he's awake. He blows up a planet and tells Whiz about Super Saiyan God. Blowing up the planet is what alerts the Kaioshin. It's not like series proper has never ignored a movie before, so why is everyone trying to shoehorn them in?
We don't know when the events of this first chapter take place. For all we know Beerus blew up that planet and went back to sleep for another 3-4 years.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:18 pm

GoldLiger wrote:
Not true. It was stated that the script was already done. If he changed it was to reflect the current form of Beerus and SSG Goku. Nothing else. Just look at how "detail" he was when it came to the "Z fighters vs 1000 Freeza's men". That is the level of script writing Toriyama had.
Not true.

Please give us a few words for the readers who are looking forward to its opening in theaters.
It’s the first movie that I’ve been involved with starting from creating the story. The members of the anime staff have also given their all. Please enjoy the first Dragon Ball in a long while!

Are there any other areas you struggled with in supervising the scenario?
It was my first experience with writing the scenario, so what I understood the least was, I had no grasp of how much writing would translate to how much length [on screen]. I had thought that the anime staff would further expand on the script I’d supervised, but it seems the scenario was actually so long that it had to be cut down. The anime staff told me that, in the first storyboards, where they had already cut it down somewhat, it was still over 120 minutes long.

I heard that this is the first time you’ve been deeply involved with the script of a movie; please tell us the reason.
The catalyst was that, first of all, when the script originally came to me, there was a lot of the sort of dialogue that only the creator would know, so I thought, “that bothers me”, and then this and that also started to get on my mind, and so rather than telling them to revise each individual thing, I thought it might be faster if I just wrote the script myself.

From the Batle of Gods blu-ray/DVD comment
This was the first time that I participated in creating the story for a theatrical Dragon Ball anime. But that isn’t to say that I was requested to participate; rather, while I thought the concepts in the story I received were good, the contents were a bit dark, and in the midst of making partial changes, I got carried away, and ended up making it into an almost completely different story. That’s the correct way to put it. Since the creator was the one making the changes, I suppose I may have caused a lot of trouble for the production side of things. For the scriptwriter in particular, it can’t have been pleasant.

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:38 pm

dbgtFO wrote:That super scoop 5 makes me think we won't get any Beerus and Whis action in the first episode and the manga chapters somehow will just give a glimpse of what will happen in the next 3 episodes or something like that.

This isn't a complete manga adaptation of Super. This is a tease, like the 'F' chapters. From what I'm looking at, every month, we'll have a short chapter teasing whatever episode is about to air next at that time. Because, don't forget, Super is a weekly show.

The way I see it the Goku and Goten and Goten and Trunks parts take place way before BoG(maybe even before Jsat?), whereas the Beerus part takes place within BoG.
This sounds like the most logical conclusion to me. It doesn't seem prudent to extract wild theories from a short promotional chapter that obviously only exists to advertise the actual show. That's how unfounded rumors are started and spread.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:45 pm

If you still need a copy of the August V Jump (with this first chapter), CD Japan has some more copies available.

The September issue is up for preorder now too, although I'll probably wait for Amazon JP to order it myself.

Here's the general Kanzenshuu affiliate link if you wanna be a cool guy and click before you order them. I can't make the specific item URLs.
-Rachel

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:42 pm

Ordered the sept. Glad the other got back in stock but I ordered with amazon (faster shipping). I'll probly read the scans before I get my copies anyway so I can wait for SAL slow shipping.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:00 pm

Is there a "clean" version of the manga's poster with the 9-Star Ball? It baffles me that the 6-Star Ball is not on the page, but perhaps that gigantic Facebook logo is covering it? But then again, would they place a Dragon Ball on Goku's leg? There's also that big purple/black "burst" with information in the top left corner.

One through five, seven, nine. It doesn't make any sense, and they probably know this!
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:48 pm

9th star ball is likely something in the story. It can be added as a hint on things to come.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Blackstripe
Regular

Post by Blackstripe » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:49 am

I'm greatly disturbed by the fact that they somehow managed to break the canon of a movie that's only two years old already!!

Seriously, was it that hard to go back and watch BoG to make sure you didn't mess something up? I wouldn't have thought even Toriyama would be so absent minded.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:50 am

I think for some reason this is intentional?

It does seem really odd though. I mean Resurrection of F just came out. And are they going to gloss over the movies (the actual fights), or are we going to basically re-watch them at some point in the show??

At least we'll have the movies (of some part) in manga form now.
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:41 am

Short Review:
Chapter 1 - 8/10
For bias reasons y'all know. Freaking Goten stole the show as always. This chapter a big "FU" to anyone who say Goku a bad dad. The bonding here was a great scenery. Everything was a nice slice of life. The only thing stopping this from being a 10 is Beerus. He honestly couldn't have appeared and I'll be fine with it. Kinda seemed forced imo. Overall the best thing DB related since 2008. Wonderful job.

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:48 am

TheGmGoken wrote:This chapter a big "FU" to anyone who say Goku a bad dad.
I'd call a dad that lets his kid drive a tractor next to a cliff with out watching him a bad one. If goku was a normal person with no super powers, Goten would be dead. just saying :angel:
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:58 am

Ushabtis wrote:
I'd call a dad that lets his kid drive a tractor next to a cliff with out watching him a bad one. If goku was a normal person with no super powers, Goten would be dead. just saying :angel:
Well...it's a start :wink:

saunasolmu
Beyond Newbie

Post by saunasolmu » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:13 am

Ushabtis wrote:
Goten has super powers as well. He wouldn't get hurt by falling from a cliff. Not to mention he can fly...

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:42 am

saunasolmu wrote:
Ushabtis wrote:
Goten has super powers as well. He wouldn't get hurt by falling from a cliff. Not to mention he can fly...

Let's just say regular humans would not survive childhood with Goku.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:21 pm

I was just thinking. While akira toriyama wrote super, how much control does he have? Are they cutting stuff out of the manga or is toei adding stuff? When he called the manga his contribution (I'm pretty sure its qouted like that on the kabzenshuu main page but I'm on my phone with slow internet) does he mean it was his idea for doing a manga but didn't want to draw it?

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:59 pm

Not entirely. We are not speaking about BOG yet. This is way before that. The only change so far is that Beerus should sleep but he destroys planets instead. There's still a chance that he will return sleeping and will have the dream about the Super Saiyan God, just like he tells it it BOG.
We don't really know that it's "way before" BoG. In the manga, at least the translation I read, there is no exact time mentioned, it just says after the Buu recap that "the days and months slowly passed by", so it could be just before BoG, and if we assume Toriyama isn't rewriting BoG, then we can say, based on the fact that Beerus is awake, that it does in fact start off just before the movie. I could be wrong, and maybe he is rewriting the story, we'll have to wait and see how everything unfolds.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:16 pm

Just got a text saying my VJump is scheduled for delivery on Monday and I can leave a signed note w/tracking # for it if I'm not there when it delivers.

Those with DHL experience, if just put this signed note and tracking number on a blank piece of paper and tape it to the front door is that official enough?

I mean is there a form on DHL's website I should print out?

EDIT:
Nevermind, now I need to figure out how to fix the address. I told them my address but they have another nearby town named instead.

EDIT 2:
Amazon.jp has my correct address/county, it's DHS that thinks I'm somewhere else. They have the county right, but the wrong township. I'm gonna try and get it redirected to my house and leave a note on the door just in case.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!