"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Marlowe89 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:19 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- if anything, forcing GT into the exact same continuity as Super (despite the ultra-apparent inconsistencies) retroactively makes the former a worse story. I have no idea why its fans would want that for the show.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:14 pm

Instead of trying to duct tape two conflicting continuities together, I think it'd be far more interesting to extend GT's story and have Beerus show up in that continuity some time after the Shadow Dragons Saga, and work through events from there. You'd miss out on GT Golden Frieza without the DBs, but...would anyone really miss that? It'd be a neat what-if.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:28 pm

BrolyKale wrote:They are.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... interview/
"What is your personal stance on Dragon Ball’s theatrical films, Sensei?
I take the movies as “stories in a different dimension from the main story of the comic”. I’m entirely just an audience member for them."
Still not a direct statement to establish a canon in this series and yes Toriyama 'obvious' view that movies can't be connected to the original manga.
TKA wrote:But don't cry foul when people tell you something doesn't work within the timeline of events from the original story.
How it doesn't? If one ignores Super it can consider GT just fine, the problem is someone attempting to connect both series which is impossible.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:02 pm

Still not a direct statement to establish a canon in this series and yes Toriyama 'obvious' view that movies can't be connected to the original manga.
Ah, sure. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:42 pm

jeffbr92 wrote: How it doesn't? If one ignores Super it can consider GT just fine, the problem is someone attempting to connect both series which is impossible.
Bro, I literally don't care and couldn't care less if I wanted to, about what you want to consider canon or not. I'm only replying because you directly quoted me.

But if you are going to have a discussion about canonicity with me, you have things like Toriyama diplomatically saying GT isn't canon, along with the fact that Toriyama had no involvement in it and GT missing the mark heavily on so many of Dragonball's core themes.

If you wanna consider it "canon", that's fine. You go into a discussion arguing about whether it's canon or not, that's when the gloves come off. Personally, I don't think it should even be a discussion at all. Why do you want GT to be "canon"? Why do you want any outside thing to be "canon"?

As I said, "canon" to me is strictly Jaco's manga (except for Dragonball Minus), the original manga, Dragonball Super's manga, Battle of Gods, Resurrection F and the original Bardock Special. Obviously, the Bardock special is less canon than Dragonball Minus, but DBM is a bad story, so I choose to ignore it. I won't argue by any stretch of the imagination that the original Bardock special is more canon, but I will argue it's a better story, and it being "non-canon" in no way diminishes it in my eyes.

I literally cannot bring myself to care enough to argue with someone who wants GT or the movies or DBH to be "canon".
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:02 pm

I don’t care about gt or those canon things , I just would like super and E.o.z to have a reasonable explanation-connection , it’s kinda hard because e.o.z talks about previous years after bu like a peace time , and goku is bored of non strong rivals ..
I can buy that super is a new timeline created by Beerus premonition or something like that .
Also .. in super Beerus created a new timeline just by killing zamasu, so the original one was meant to have goku killed inside zamasu body ... it’s kinda confusing for me , with one is e.o.z timeline ?
That’s why I consider that will be great to have a full arc about all timelines ... starting with 2 zenos having a discussion for example ...
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:34 pm

So sick of how people don't want thing to be non canon just because they think it's a bad word. Some thing are just non canon, ACCEPT IT, it doesn't detract from the quality
Get Fucked, C_unt

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:16 pm

prince212 wrote:it’s kinda hard because e.o.z talks about previous years after bu like a peace time
Well, it sorta was. I don't think anything after the first two arcs in this series directly harmed Goku's Earth, even if impending danger technically loomed on the horizon because of Zamasu or the Tournament of Power. You could argue that the planet went through a kind of "peace time" during that decade for the most part, assuming Broly and future stories that don't expand past EoZ continue to uphold this type of storytelling where conflicts aren't specifically occurring on the protagonists' home turf.

I'm not sure if Toriyama and his colleagues planned it, though. It's probably totally unintentional, especially if Goku supposedly grew bored from a decade of inactivity.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:38 pm

That's the main reason I was happy with Beerus not being a true villain, Frieza being a joke and the U6vsU7 tournament not having any real stakes. This is supposed to be a peaceful time where characters are just dicking around, essentially. I was pretty disappointed with the Tournament of Power and the Trunks arc being serious.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:29 pm

I'm not gonna sit here and nerd over what counts as DB. I know what the author [authority] said about what counts as his story and I'm going to follow law. The rest can believe what they want. :lol:

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:43 pm

Now that I think about it .... the truth is that , from the eyes of people living on earth, super time is a peaceful time , in fact the last war time that humans from earth remember is cell time ... doesn’t matter if our protagonist have battles going on , so the narration of peaceful time on earth is still coherent... If they give some time to goku between t.o.p arc and e.o.z to be bored and don’t find people to fight with , ubb training still can fit on super
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:32 pm

A little late to review but I'm going to do it.
    -This is one of the best chapter it definitely an improvement and Kale was cool.
      -The battles were fun and I have to give credit for Toyotaro potrayal of Frieza in this chapter, he didn't rage out here and his interaction with Goku was funny.
        -Caulifla and Cabba were fine here.
          -I have a feeling she will go full Broly this Month :? she will whoop Goku to the point he goes UI, I'm really worried for this.
            Overall it was a good chapter.

MyNiggaGoku
            Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:37 pm

TKA wrote:That's the main reason I was happy with Beerus not being a true villain, Frieza being a joke and the U6vsU7 tournament not having any real stakes. This is supposed to be a peaceful time where characters are just dicking around, essentially. I was pretty disappointed with the Tournament of Power and the Trunks arc being serious.
            By introducing Zamasu and the whole ToP concept, we had the chance to witness some serious threats that ultimately left the main cast and the world surrounding it undamaged, but were considered huge threats nonetheless.

Maybe your problem about these situations is that they had to be threatening enough while taking the EoZ into account( ignoring ofc a possible retcon). That's perfectly reasonable, but I think it worked perfectly fine since it created a genuine sense of threat, while creating methods that kept the cast safe. It continuously kept the audience wondering if things will work out in the end and making us believe the possibility of an EoZ retcon will maybe actually become a reality. The unpredictability of the show was there and although it did not live up to it by taking the safest route possible, it sure was one hell of a ride.
            My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

TKA
            Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:28 pm

MyNiggaGoku wrote: Maybe your problem about these situations is that they had to be threatening enough while taking the EoZ into account( ignoring ofc a possible retcon). That's perfectly reasonable, but I think it worked perfectly fine since it created a genuine sense of threat, while creating methods that kept the cast safe. It continuously kept the audience wondering if things will work out in the end and making us believe the possibility of an EoZ retcon will maybe actually become a reality. The unpredictability of the show was there and although it did not live up to it by taking the safest route possible, it sure was one hell of a ride.
            My problem is exactly what I said it was. This time is supposed to be peaceful, so anything the characters deal with should have some levity to it. Zamas and the Tournament of Power don't.

When discussing the quality of these arcs, I don't mention this fact, however as it's not that important. It's just a detail that bothers me.

Bergamo
            OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:38 pm

TKA wrote:
            MyNiggaGoku wrote: Maybe your problem about these situations is that they had to be threatening enough while taking the EoZ into account( ignoring ofc a possible retcon). That's perfectly reasonable, but I think it worked perfectly fine since it created a genuine sense of threat, while creating methods that kept the cast safe. It continuously kept the audience wondering if things will work out in the end and making us believe the possibility of an EoZ retcon will maybe actually become a reality. The unpredictability of the show was there and although it did not live up to it by taking the safest route possible, it sure was one hell of a ride.
            My problem is exactly what I said it was. This time is supposed to be peaceful, so anything the characters deal with should have some levity to it. Zamas and the Tournament of Power don't.

When discussing the quality of these arcs, I don't mention this fact, however as it's not that important. It's just a detail that bothers me.
            While not entirely peaceful, no one was killed, and no cities/planets were destroyed.
            My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Saiga
            Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:40 pm

A whole timeline blew up!

And man, that is really cold to future Bulma.

Wait, what about the city that Freeza blew up? Or Piccolo's death?
            I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Bergamo
            OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:59 am

Saiga wrote:A whole timeline blew up!

And man, that is really cold to future Bulma.

Wait, what about the city that Freeza blew up? Or Piccolo's death?
            1. I forgot about the city.
            2. It's still peaceful on Earth, because Trunk's timeline being erased doesn't really affect the main timeline or it's inhabitants.
            3. Piccolo didn't die.

A single city blowing up over the course of 10 years is peaceful by comparison.
            My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

Saiga
            Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:55 am

Nah, it not effecting the prime timeline doesn't mean things were peaceful during the Future Trunks arc. Goku and Vegeta were present for a timeline being erased, and had to deal with Trunks who had experienced Bulma dying as well as many other innocent deaths.

Even Vegeta and Goku nearly being killed would discount that as being peaceful.

Anyway if we're only going off movie/manga continuity than yeah Piccolo doesn't die.

It's not that they described it as 'peaceful by comparison'. They said 'peaceful' which it just isn't.
            I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

OLKv3
            I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:31 pm

prince212 wrote:Now that I think about it .... the truth is that , from the eyes of people living on earth, super time is a peaceful time , in fact the last war time that humans from earth remember is cell time ... doesn’t matter if our protagonist have battles going on , so the narration of peaceful time on earth is still coherent... If they give some time to goku between t.o.p arc and e.o.z to be bored and don’t find people to fight with , ubb training still can fit on super
            Freeza blew up an entire city during RoF. They definitely remember that

precita
            Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:42 pm

The last chapter was pretty good, I can't believe Freeza had no interactions with Caulifa or Kale in the anime. Missed opportunity.