"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by sintzu » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:19 am

Hawk9211 wrote:I want it to have at least 10 chapters.
There are 80 fighters and so far only 4-6 have been knocked out so I don't see it being anything less than 10-12 more.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:39 am

sintzu wrote:
There are 80 fighters and so far only 4-6 have been knocked out so I don't see it being anything less than 10-12 more.
6 have been knock out, the pace is going fast right now.I just want this saga to not be rushed or dragged.
Mostly active on discord.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:15 am

The gr wrote:
sintzu wrote:
6 have been knock out, the pace is going fast right now.I just want this saga to not be rushed or dragged.
Same man.U11 is main antagonist and U6 is the only one we care about but,some character outside of U11 and U6 should get some limelight too.The whole chapters are not going to be about fighting and big players are going to have longer fights.It would be super weird for it to end in 6 chapters when zamasu kept fighting for 4 chapters.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:30 am

Frost vs U7 Humans, this might be a bit similar to the anime.

Krillin will be eliminated, Tenshinhan might be gone too ,and Roshi will the one with the main focus out of the trio.

I guess Tenshinhan wanking Roshi was also part of the outline? Sasuga Muten Sama.. :problem:

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:49 am

sintzu wrote:
Won't go for more than 9. Also, I don't think most of this 80 charcters will get more than 2 pages. Only, Jiren, Toppo, Kefla, Hit and perhaps Ribrianne and Aniraza are important from the other universes.

U2 - Ribrianne
U3 - Aniraza
U4 - /
U6 - Hit, Kefla
U9 - /
U10 - /
U11 - Jiren, Toppo

And from U7 I believe only Goku and Vegeta will get a lot of pages. Roshi, Tien and Krillin could be gone in the next chapter. Gohan will probably go out with Piccolo just after 18 is eliminated. So the final 4 will most likely be just as in the anime.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a lot of stuff from all of the guys, but it's probably not possible cause of the movie in December.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:53 am

Interestingly, in the manga Freeza tells Frost he couldn't care less about winning and only wants his revenge on the Saiyans, although we know from the anime that Freeza's intention always was of tricking Frost to ring him out. It's possible that Freeza still has plans to obtain the Super Dragon Balls in the manga too, as it's totally in-character for him to want the wish for himself.

It also seems like Frost recognized Freeza as being older than himself, and that makes sense because Frost does indeed look younger than Freeza. The rest of the dialogue is the same in the anime, so it's probably a safe assumption that Toriyama wrote it.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:44 am

IM21 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Won't go for more than 9. Also, I don't think most of this 80 charcters will get more than 2 pages. Only, Jiren, Toppo, Kefla, Hit and perhaps Ribrianne and Aniraza are important from the other universes.

U2 - Ribrianne
U3 - Aniraza
U4 - /
U6 - Hit, Kefla
U9 - /
U10 - /
U11 - Jiren, Toppo

And from U7 I believe only Goku and Vegeta will get a lot of pages. Roshi, Tien and Krillin could be gone in the next chapter. Gohan will probably go out with Piccolo just after 18 is eliminated. So the final 4 will most likely be just as in the anime.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a lot of stuff from all of the guys, but it's probably not possible cause of the movie in December.
i don't agree with your list,but can you explain why would manga be affected by the movie?
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:47 am

I enjoyed the chapter.

Pretty much the same as Episode 97, but U7 are much quicker with the eliminations right out of the gate. It's certainly much faster paced than the anime, which I don't mind at all.

The banter between the Roshi, #17, Tien and Krillin was quite funny.

I wish Toyotaro didn't bother with the Frost/Freeza subplot because it leads to nothing other than re-establishing that Freeza is untrustworthy bastard, which is something we already know.

Jiren being active so early in the TOP is a double edged sword. On one hand, it's good to see him cooperating more with his teammates and getting into the action early on. But if Jiren take parts in the TOP from the get-go and doesn't actually eliminate people, then he comes across as a huge idiot. Especially once the Universe 11 start losing fighters. And it doesn't help that Jiren has already stated he doesn't want to play a role in the erasure of universes in the manga. Not to mention this begs the question of why Jiren just doesn't win the TOP in under 10 minutes. So what can you do with him? Do you have fight other people but not eliminate them? Or do you have him do nothing until he has to fight the strongest characters the TOP has to offer? Damned if you, damned if you don't.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:20 am

Maybe in this roshi mafubas frost while ten and Krillin hold him off. With Krillin being knocked out.

Or all 3 get beaten up but Freeza then knocks off frost before he can Knock em out....

I hope the elimination of the main chars is flexible like the fodder. Tenshinhan deserves to outlast the other two especially roshi.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:16 pm

I enjoyed the chapter and a couple of gags made me smile
So so happy that android 17 is there kicking from scratch
Androids role i this tournament is awesome
Don’t understand why the 3 big guys of u11 let Goku kick his teammates that easy, but it’s what it is
Hope to see soon a big fight between 2 equal forces
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:38 pm

Hawk9211 wrote: i don't agree with your list,but can you explain why would manga be affected by the movie?
The show would be over for almost a year when the movie will come and I think most people will be hyped about that and not the TOP which will end up the same as in the anime (most likely). So, with the lack of interest in the TOP, I don't think Toyotaro will wanna stretch the tournament story for a year. I could be wrong and it will last till next year.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:46 pm

I give this chapter huge props for not doing that dumb crap where strong people will pointlessly hold back for artificial tension or because Super expects us to forget strong people can squash fodder without killing them.

It also helps that multiple things are happening all at once so the battle royale doesn't feel like it grinds to a stand still the second we focus on anybody.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:27 pm

Pretty terrific chapter. You could tell that was going to be the case from the raws, but there are small bits here and there in the first half beyond the exposition about the rules that makes it all the more fun. Freeza and Frost, Krillin and Kame-Sennin, Caulifla and Magetta, all great things. It's not really that different from how the anime started things, but I enjoy the faster pace, especially since we're still in the "getting fodder out of the way" phase.

The battles are great, especially for so early into things. I also loved the panels with all the teams prior to the Tournament starting. I was kinda worried we weren't going to get something like that, due to lack of pages, but those worries were unfounded.

Also, major props for some of the more subtle set-ups, like Ribrianne vs 18 and how the fact some of U7's guys went out on their own might prove problematic later on.

Some things I disliked were Freeza's supposed reason for why he joined, but honestly it just sounds like trying to bullshit Frost (especially with knowledge of what becomes of their team-up) and the fact Jiren is going ham on everybody from the start. It doesn't really mesh well with how Toyotaro introduced him, when he said he's not going to take part in anyone's downfall but only ensure U11's survival. I hated that version anyway, though, so it's no deal breaker for me.

Really, the only thing that is kind of worrying me right now is the arc will finish a little too fast, but when thinking about the Black arc, it might just be me wanting as much goodness out of this arc as possible :lol:
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Post by Avenant » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:08 pm

I loved this chapter! The art and action was on point and completely outclasses the Anime in my opinion. It actually feels like a free-for-all Battle Royale! Also, loved the shot of U7!

"Tell me, is it slavery if you get what you want?"

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:57 pm

Draconic wrote:It doesn't really mesh well with how Toyotaro introduced him, when he said he's not going to take part in anyone's downfall but only ensure U11's survival. I hated that version anyway, though, so it's no deal breaker for me.
The clown did said that Jiren would drop his principles for the chance at the wish. Note that his comment about not taking part in erasing other universes was before he agreed to participate in the tournament.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:18 pm

Neon Z wrote:
Draconic wrote:It doesn't really mesh well with how Toyotaro introduced him, when he said he's not going to take part in anyone's downfall but only ensure U11's survival. I hated that version anyway, though, so it's no deal breaker for me.
The clown did said that Jiren would drop his principles for the chance at the wish. Note that his comment about not taking part in erasing other universes was before he agreed to participate in the tournament.
It's still a bit weird, all things considered. If you introduce something only to drop it in the character's next appearence, what's even the point?
Not that I care all that much, as I said. It really doesn't bother me more than just on principle.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:31 pm

It's unreal how much of a better product the manga is when compared to the anime. Great chapter.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:53 pm

Really enjoyed the chapter. A solid and fast-paced start, even if it's setting up some of the same structural problems as the anime's already such as U7 getting all the focus, wasting potentially interesting characters and already sequencing fights into 1v1s. Somewhat disappointed in Freeza's goal, so I hope it's just a fake-out, but I wouldn't doubt it if that's all there is to it. Character interactions were fantastic, really felt like prime Toriyama. Kudos to Toyotaro on that one.

Toyotaro's #17 really looks like Sasuke for some reason.

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:55 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:It's unreal how much of a better product the manga is when compared to the anime. Great chapter.
That’s because toyotaro is one person. He knows what he is going to do and how he wants things to unfold. The anime has a bunch of writers, so when someone does an episode, the other would do the next how he thinks is correct, even if it conflicts with how the story was before.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:43 pm

-Chapter 33-

Cool chapter.

The recruitment part sucks compared to the anime though. I was expecting this chapter to focus on other Universes with ToP starting in the end, but looks like Toyotaro just decided to ignore everyone else. We had a bit for Universe 6 only to introduce Caulifla/kale in the previous chapter and that's it.

Universe Survival is an arc that happened too soon in the narrative. We should had explored at least two more Universes better before this arc happened, instead of trying to introduce everything here. The anime did a smart choice on use the Exhibition Matches to build up a new Universe (in this case it was the U9 team) and show all the others Universes preparing for the Tournament, with some trying to sabotage Universe 7 team.

Freeza sucks here. Even though his wish to overthrows the Gods don't lead him anywhere in the anime, it's still a much more interesting portrayal than he still not being over his revenge against the Saiyans. In this situation where all the powerhouses are gathered in one place, he should think beyond that. Bluff or not, he has nothing to gain in sending Frost after the weaklings of his team.

Hit is boring too. He says he won't lose to Goku again, but they didn't end their fight and Goku was the one to give up in Champa's Tournament...
I also remember people praising Toyotaro for taking the blame of Goku about this Tournament and the Universes erasure right away, but Hit just said the Tournament is his fault and Goku laughed...

As for the Tournament it was a good start, but I will take the anime version. For the people complaining that the anime is all about U7 eliminating "everyone", this chapter doesn't do them any favours. I like how in the anime the first character to eliminate someone was Basil, a new character introduced in the Exhibition Matches and how Universe 9 had a score to settle with Universe 7.

At least Jiren is doing something. He's more interesting here, even though his meeting Goku was better in the anime.

RIP mah boy Katopesla. The only gag character in this franchise that I actually find funny isn't even funny in the manga.
Thanks for the moments, Toei <3

Overall the fighting choreography was good. No complaints about that.
I love that big panel that shows how chaotic this battle royal is. Toyotaro will have his plate full with so many characters and action, but I believe this will force him to improve.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.