"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Marlowe89 » Mon May 21, 2018 11:46 am

LightBing wrote: I didn't saw it that way. Piccolo didn't get eliminated because of hearing, he actually felt Damon and reacted. The thing is, he had the invisible fighter stuck in his head and Damon is pretty strong. Which caught him off-guard.
I've considered that as well, and I do think that's likely what Toyotaro was going for. I'm still super iffy about it though; if 17 was able to track Damon's position and size through hearing, Piccolo should be able to do it without even trying. I don't see his mental focus on the "invisible fighter" aspect clouding his senses like that, especially if they're as sharp as they were portrayed to be in the past.

Of course, it's still a relatively minor issue for me, but I probably would have handled that bit somewhat differently.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Mon May 21, 2018 11:55 am

As much as I hate the fact that 18 and Piccolo have been eliminated so early without getting their moment, I think that it's a good thing that the elimination order is different, it makes things less predictable.
Get Fucked, C_unt

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Mon May 21, 2018 12:03 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:There's no reason he should have sharper hearing and senses than Piccolo, who was defeated almost immediately by Damon
This is only acceptable because of the context of the scene. Piccolo just dealt with one invisible fighter, so the natural and logical reaction for both Piccolo and the reader is to assume there's another invisible fighter. He got taken out because that's what he was looking for, instead of assuming that one of the enemies was pint-sized. 17 only then focused on hearing the adversary out after he took an attack that didn't immediately eliminate him.

It's not that 17's senses were more acute; it's that he was in the right place and Piccolo wasn't.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon May 21, 2018 12:23 pm

This chapter overall was just used to make 17 look good.

Including 18 in this tournament wass as pointless as Krillin and Tien. All it did was increase the amount of fighters per team but thise increased numbers just meant more nobodies.

The magical girls go out too quick.

Piccolo did something half important in knocking out Gamisars but that is it.

The whole situation involving Piccolo, Damom and 17 is just completely ridiculous and simply don't understand how Toriyama came up with something so stupid.

Jiren should have destroyed Goku this chapter.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Mon May 21, 2018 1:04 pm

I'll admit, I'm very mixed on this chapter. I liked that we sortve got a 17/Piccolo team up even though it was more like they just fought people next to each other. Plus it was cool to see 17 take out Botamo

But everything else just felt off. 18 and the Magical Girls went out way too quickly. Granted, I do feel they overstayed their welcome in the anime a touch, but the episode where Ribrianne got knocked out is still one of my favorite moments. 17 having "super hearing" was weird, and Piccolo still got jobbed to Damon. Jiren looked shocked at the "invisible fighter" and retreated with Dyspo made absolutely no sense. I feel like the manga has nerfed Jiren to some point. And all in all, the invisible fighters were still relatively pointless.

So now U7 is down to 6 warriors, with Roshi being in the top 6. I imagine next month we'll see either Kale or Caulifla, with maybe some Roshi, or maybe U11 (who hasn't even lost a fighter yet)

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Mon May 21, 2018 1:28 pm

This chapter just fell back to the same low points the previous arc had în spades.

Not only does it open with a horrible looking Vegeta fight, but how Vegeta is written here is just terrible. I kind of wish I'd never read this chapter's translation, cause this battle soured me so much on it.

The Ribrianne/Krillin gag was funny and very în line with her character. The highlight of the chapter for sure. Sadly, it's basically the only good thing about that scene too. There's basically no action there, with the little of it going on being fine (if only a bit bland and uninspired). I know Ribrianne is quite hated, so I understand people being fine with her non-contribution to the Tournament, but there's no excuse for the handling of the other two Maidens. Their special abillity being just stretchy arms is terrible and they have no personality outside of being Ribrianne's echo. Hopefully the remaining U2 pagetime is used on fleshing out their Tsufuru character.

Gamisaras is handled much better than in the anime, ranking up quite a body count, but I think it could have been executed a little better by having him silently take out other fighters în the previous chapter, especially with how many off-screen eliminations took place. Damon on the other hand is still a useless piece of shit. He took out Piccolo in the same stupid manner it happened in the anime and got trashed before doing anything else. Hopefully it's not the last we see of U4 cause building them up so much in both mediums only to get wasted so hard is painfully bad. But with so many off screen eliminations already going on and so little time left I don't expect anyone but Ganos to prove worthwhile. 17 was great, though, so there's that.

U10 is still the shittiest universe in this thing, so I'm super happy they're on the way out. Their trashing is pretty much my favorite part this month, just because I hate them so much.

Botamo's eliminations seemed quite stupid, but with how inconsistent his abillity is already I'll let that slide.

Jiren and Goku's fight being interrupted just because was laughable. His two big fights so far have consisted in taking out Hit (who was patethic în the U6 arc, so it doesn't mean anything) and stopping mid way trough his fight with Goku before doing any damage. Great way to build him up...

That said, one thing I loved very much was how Toyotaro used the characters in the stands as a way of cutting to other fights taking place at the same time. The panel with Tenshinhan looking to the right and Kaioshin point to the left of the arena is the best composition, both technically and narativelly, that Toyotaro has done the whole arc
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon May 21, 2018 1:39 pm

Characters dropping like files is so unnatural, I am all for it :thumbup:
Nice chapter, the sheer speed with which battles are taking place is good, this is a good all out rumble, people dropping fast all around until only a few survive..

It could have been stretched out a bit more but what I got works too..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mnich » Mon May 21, 2018 2:53 pm

Universe 3 still has a lot of warriors. I hope that Nigrisshi won't be a mere fodder like in anime.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Mon May 21, 2018 3:40 pm

Strange that we still got no clue of UI happening on this chapter.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon May 21, 2018 4:03 pm

-Chapter 36-

I really liked Vegeta persistence on trying to kick down Toppo.

Toyotaro keeps doing a terrible job handling the new characters. Everything is so generic.
So Ribrianne also doesn't have her unique love attacks and Kakunsa and Rozie have elastic properties?! It doesn't even fit their characters...
And that's not including the fact that there's no parody on the magical girls trope in the manga.

At least, the U4 secret weapons eliminated much more people here. It was better than the anime, even though Damon's elimination in the anime is cooler.
In the anime feels like Pokémon when C17 catches him with a ki ball, here he just uses another generic finger beam.

"Toyotaro will treat Piccolo better"
Piccolo is eliminated before having any cool moment and interact with U6 Namekians. This is namekiansaiyan favourite chapter.

C18 fight against Ribrianne not only was much better in the anime, but It also resulted in character development for Ribrianne when she realizes there's love in other Universes.
There wasn't also any teamwork of C18 with Krillin/C17 in the manga...

As if Roshi being there wasn't already a joke, these two being eliminated before him just make it worse.

Feels like I've been waiting 4 months to see Caulifla/Kale do something in this Tournament, but I guess that's because I am.
While the direction is questionable, the pacing has been great though.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon May 21, 2018 4:53 pm

Zamasu55 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Zamasu55 wrote:[That has to be a joke. In the anime only U7 did something. In the manga it's different.
U6 had 12 eliminations before going out with U6 taking out most of U11. U2 had three including one person from U7. So, it's factually untrue that "only U7 did something".
Three, oh boy...

Here U4 had 6 eliminations, which is much more than the main foe (Jiren) had in the anime.
So? It isn’t like Manga Jiren has more.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Zamasu55
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Zamasu55 » Mon May 21, 2018 5:04 pm

HeroR wrote:
Zamasu55 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
U6 had 12 eliminations before going out with U6 taking out most of U11. U2 had three including one person from U7. So, it's factually untrue that "only U7 did something".
Three, oh boy...

Here U4 had 6 eliminations, which is much more than the main foe (Jiren) had in the anime.
As for now.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Mon May 21, 2018 5:07 pm

Zamasu55 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Zamasu55 wrote: Three, oh boy...

As for now.
Still doesn’t negate my point, especially your claim ‘only U7 did anything in the anime’. What’s funny is that Jiren is more active that Anime Jiren and he only eliminated one person.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon May 21, 2018 5:29 pm

Wow, this chapter was trash..
-Vegetas repeated kicks were just stupid to look at.
-Gohan forgetting to sense ki and punching the air like an idiot even though this is second nature to him at this point.
- 17 forgetting to use his hearing even though he apparently uses it all the time.
- the magical girls don't have a unique fighting style
- Dyspo once again being treated like a chump
- Gohans personality being turned into a second Vegeta. He literally screams, grunts, tchh's, or has ... For his dialogue almost all the time.
There were some pros :
17 ringing out Botamo looked really great.
Beerus' saying rib was cute.
Krillin being handsome.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Mon May 21, 2018 5:36 pm

Next ch predictions

Vegeta and Toppo fight interrupted , Vegeta takes out magetta

Roshi takes out 3 u4 fighters

Gohan takes out obuni

U6 saiyans wipe out most of pride troopers

Ch ends with Caulifla and kale vs Goku

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 21, 2018 5:58 pm

You know, it was one thing for Vegeta to call himself the "number #1 Saiyan" in the anime not too long after Goku achieving Ultra Instinct, but calling himself the strongest being in all of existence reaches far beyond arrogance and goes straight to acting moronic. Vegeta in the anime, may have acted cocky, arrogant and prideful, but it never reached that extreme.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Mon May 21, 2018 6:31 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:You know, it was one thing for Vegeta to call himself the "number #1 Saiyan" in the anime not too long after Goku achieving Ultra Instinct, but calling himself the strongest being in all of existence reaches far beyond arrogance and goes straight to acting moronic. Vegeta in the anime, may have acted cocky, arrogant and prideful, but it never reached that extreme.
Vegeta's characterization in both the anime and manga has bothered me a lot. It feels like he's regressed so much since the Boo arc.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Mon May 21, 2018 6:43 pm

HeroR wrote:
Zamasu55 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
As for now.
Still doesn’t negate my point, especially your claim ‘only U7 did anything in the anime’. What’s funny is that Jiren is more active that Anime Jiren and he only eliminated one person.
Jiren being more active makes him look bad in the manga as he has been fighting for 15 minutes and only beat 1 fighter.
FortuneSSJ wrote:
"Toyotaro will treat Piccolo better"
Piccolo is eliminated before having any cool moment and interact with U6 Namekians. This is namekiansaiyan favourite chapter.
Sarcastic comment? :think:

Piccolo was always going to do worse than the anime. All eliminated Universe 7 members have done worse than the anime.
Last edited by namekiansaiyan on Mon May 21, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Mon May 21, 2018 6:56 pm

OhHiRenan wrote: Vegeta's characterization in both the anime and manga has bothered me a lot. It feels like he's regressed so much since the Boo arc.
He hasn't in the manga, and what he said to Toppo was obviously just Vegeta's usual brand of hyperbole. We already know from Chapter 27 that he doesn't think he's the strongest fighter in existence, so that whole attempt at a critique you were quoting is invalid from the get-go.

I'll agree with you if we're talking about the anime, though.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Mon May 21, 2018 7:03 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:You know, it was one thing for Vegeta to call himself the "number #1 Saiyan" in the anime not too long after Goku achieving Ultra Instinct, but calling himself the strongest being in all of existence reaches far beyond arrogance and goes straight to acting moronic. Vegeta in the anime, may have acted cocky, arrogant and prideful, but it never reached that extreme.
You realize your argument is "my shit smells bad but your's smells worse"? Hope you can get worthwhile discussion out of it but take it to the manga vs anime thread, please.