"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:32 pm

emperior wrote: The hiding about the truth part was equally stupid, although 17 was told about it when Goku wanted to convince him, and if I remember correctly Piccolo was also told about it. I can understand why Goku wouldn't tell it to Krillin, and to 18 as she would tell his husband, and he probably also didn't want Roshi and Tenshinan to drop the Tournament because of the high stakes, but not telling it immediately to Vegeta was stupid.
Goku didn't tell Krillin because Gohan told him not to, the same with 18. Goku just continued the lie with Tien and Roshi. He told 17 the truth since money wasn't doing anything to make 17 join the team.

And the Viz chapter is out: https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapter/ ... 460?read=1
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:39 pm

dbs fanboy wrote:SO........DBS is much better in the manga so far.
Fixed it for ya..
Also YES, HE'S THE SUPERMAN OF DB
Kinda similar but we will have to see more of him to be certain
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:56 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
Fixed it for ya..
Goku Black begs to differ :wink:
Ki Breaker wrote:Kinda similar but we will have to see more of him to be certain
I do hope he's a parody of the kryptonian, if that was the case i could finally say that superman beat the living shit out of Goku in "canon" :lol:
Last edited by dbs fanboy on Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:58 pm

Meshack wrote:
Helios518 wrote:
Meshack wrote: Toyotarou likes repeating himself? I think you mistook Toyotarou for Toei
Yes, Toyotaro repeats himself and yes, Toei does the same but no one mentioned them. I swear every few pages in this thread someone is randomly bashing Toei.
It’s not random. You’re acting like Toei doesn’t have problems more than Toyotarou does. I mean, Toyotarou does it once in a while but gets bashed for it?

It's a thread for discussing the manga, both praise and criticism. That just seems like an attempt to deflect by saying "oh well toei does it too" when nobody even tried to claim that wasn't the case

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:59 pm

Reading the Viz chapter, it's interesting to see material from Episode 78 in here. Although it seems out of place since Beerus is blaming Goku for everything like in 78 and telling him how he shouldn't have ignored his warnings and whatnot, despite Shin pointing out that U7 was on the chopping block so Goku saved them. It's even funnier that a lot of Vegeta's line are almost the same as Gohan's lines from 78 and 83. To be blunt, everyone getting on Goku seems out of place. In the anime, them blaming Goku in 78 made sense since they didn't know U7 was screwed if Goku didn't acted. Here, they know that U7 was on the erased list and the reasons why, yet Goku still gets all this shit thrown at him. U11 God of Destruction even blame Beerus, while in the anime most of the gods' annoyance with Goku was his attitude and being too friendly with Zen'o.

Also, all the Pride Troopers job to that monster. It wasn't just Dyspo.

There is also a thing said by Goku that he has never seen a baby born before and that is how Chi-Chi did it.......what? So he really didn't see Gohan being born and had no clue what the process was..... Okay, I will leave it there.

In this version, it was Vegeta's idea not only not to invited Goten and Trunks because 'leave the kids out of this', but also not to tell them what is going on. Goku also chose Roshi without explaining why. Not a bad thing, but it's interesting that no reason was given in the manga.

All and all, not a bad chapter, although it's kind of dull since it covers the same thing as the anime with little changes outside of the order being different. I am whatever on Jiren since I don't see manga Jiren as a giant upgrade on anime Jiren and manga Toppo is kind of dull. I like how over the top he can get in the anime.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:06 pm

dbs fanboy wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
Fixed it for ya..
The sweet release of SS balck makes it all worth it :D
Ki Breaker wrote:Kinda similar but we will have to see more of him to be certain
I do hope he's a parody of the kryptonian, if that was the case i could finally say that superman beat the living shit out of Goku in "canon" :lol:
Lol now that's definitely something to look forward to :lol:
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:09 pm

dbs fanboy wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:
Fixed it for ya..
Having the same personality as Superman wouldn't do anything for the Superman vs. Goku debate since Jiren has shown none of Superman's power outside of being strong and surviving in space.
Kanassa wrote:

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:13 pm

dbs fanboy wrote:YES, HE'S THE SUPERMAN OF DB
Jiren is Superman if Superman was an alien. 8)
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:18 pm

HeroR wrote:
dbs fanboy wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:Fixed it for ya..
Having the same personality as Superman wouldn't do anything for the Superman vs. Goku debate since Jiren has shown none of Superman's power outside of being strong and surviving in space.
I still don't see why Jiren is seen as a Superman stand in. He's strong? He wants to save people? Yeah, so do most superheroes. Does he do anything that's Superman specific?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:19 pm

It's was an okay chapter, a lot of talking about thing we already know which drags it down.
The shinning part is Jiren, he's quite interesting and I'm intrigued about his wish. I hope we see ideology conflicts during the Battle Royal.

What I disliked was besides the 28 planets bit - which I'm slowly coming to terms with -, was the apparent off-character moment from Vegeta.
However it's not definite that it's off character. We don't know if they mentioned Goku losing against Toppo and Jiren, apparently Goku kept that to himself. Without that information I can see Vegeta assume our Universe would win, even without him. Goku's there after all and he's equal to Vegeta.

We can also add Monaka to the equation, Vegeta doesn't know he's a weakling. He's justified in thinking Universe 7 has this in the bag.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:19 pm

HeroR wrote:
dbs fanboy wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:Fixed it for ya..
Well, he did travel to another planet by just flying and without a space ship. But damn, things are getting hard then, as Superman's strongest feats (that i have heard off, i don't actually read comics) are too op for something that i would want to see any db character do (unless it's someone untouchable like Zeno), still, it would be hilarious (i know some people that would get extremely mad with this :lol: :lol:)

dbgtFO wrote:

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:22 pm

In regards to Viz translation chapter 30, shouldn't these two lines be switched?

Belmond's character really shines in this chapter, in my opinion. I prefer his characterization in manga over in the anime.

I guess Maricarita's unique talking style doesn't exist in the manga.

I also would like to dive into to know what kind of ideologies do the other 8 members of the Pride troopers hold knowingly know it is not going to be elaborated
Last edited by Dreamer on Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:27 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:The sweet release of SS balck makes it all worth it :D
Touché
Ki Breaker wrote: Lol now that's definitely something to look forward to :lol:
The comment section would eat me alive within seconds :lol:

dbgtFO wrote:

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:31 pm

Alruneia wrote:
Superman is an alien. He isnt from earth.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:32 pm

Kanassa wrote: I still don't see why Jiren is seen as a Superman stand in. He's strong? He wants to save people? Yeah, so do most superheroes. Does he do anything that's Superman specific?
As I pointed out, people seem to think any western inspired super hero is Superman. And the Pride Trooper are based on Japanese super heroes to boot.
Kanassa wrote:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:49 pm

I just finished the chapter and can't believe how different and likable Jerin is. He's so boring in the anime but with the manga turning him around it might just make Kale and Caulifla tolerable.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:52 pm

Decent chapter that pretty much as Episode 78. Made a few notes.

- Everybody's reaction to the stakes of Tournament Of Power were practically identical to that of how it transpired in the anime. So no harm no foul. However...

- ...fuck Vegeta for declining to be on Team Universe 7 to take part in the tournament because he more concerned about when Bra would be born. At least in the anime, he didn't know the stakes, so him declining was more tolerable and understandable. But in this chapter, he knew what the stakes were and still said no. What a selfish asshole.

- Universe 11 get a git more spotlight is welcome. I also really love how Toyotaro is fleshing out Belmod.

- There was absolutely no logical reason for Goten and Trunks being not considered on the team. It was literally "Just because...". And that was same reason given for Roshi, Krillin and Tien taking part. Nothing more than "Just because...". That's pretty lame.

- I find it funny that Vegeta questions whether #18 can take part because she's an Android. Why would that even matter?

- The Pride Troopers fighting the Giant Enemy Crab and it's Crab People was cool.

- Jiren's entrance was pretty awesome.

- Toppo is still bland as fuck.

- I'm not sure how to feel about Jiren being a superhero play absolutely straight. On one hand, it makes the showdown between him and Goku a more enticing dynamic, given Jiren's adamant heroism and Goku's more somewhat lackadaisical nature. But on the other hand, I feel it can somewhat limit any kind of character development he can have.

Extra note: The art was good.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:02 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:- ...fuck Vegeta for declining to be on Team Universe 7 to take part in the tournament because he more concerned about when Bra. At least in the anime, he didn't know the stake, so him declining was more tolerable and understandable. But in this chapter, he knew what the stake were and still said no. What an selfish asshole.
On the flip side at least Goku had the common sense to tell him about it. Why in the anime he thought not telling the 2nd strongest fighter in U7 about something like that was a good idea still makes 0 sense.

I think the manga wanted to try and make him seem more family man but it could've done a much better job as it makes Vegeta just seem stupid cause him being in the tournament gives her a higher chance of living past her 2nd day.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:03 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:
Alruneia wrote:
Superman is an alien. He isnt from earth.
That is the joke, yes. Well, it's a quote which may have been intended (probably not though) as a serious comment at some point, but it's still the joke.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:36 pm

Cool chapter overall but

-Dislike Vegeta being this silly when he won't have a daughter for long if he doesn't help out but on the other hand...
-Jiren has a much better reason for wanting to sit out. He doesn't want to use his strength to inadvertently end other universes chances.
-I swear Goku has something against Gohan in the manga. He keeps on trying to avoid him at all costs. Meanwhile in the anime he immediately goes to him once reminded by Vegeta. Vegeta brings him up, says they should train him, WHICH THEY SHOULD, but Goku tries to push away the idea despite the incredibly drastic situation.
-I like this sneaky Belmond more than the anime one. Gives him a little more to him.
-I love this Jiren. Seriously in one damn chapter Jiren is INFINITELY more interesting than he is in the anime. He is pure, pure to a degree like Batman. He has mystery surrounding him. He flies through space. So cool. While his design remains boring, this is the Jiren I have wanted to see in the anime.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!