"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:37 pm

sintzu wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:- ...fuckVegeta for declining to be on Team Universe 7 to take part in the tournament because he more concerned about when Bra would be born. At least in the anime, he didn't know the stakes, so him declining was more tolerable and understandable. But in this chapter, he knew what the stakes were and still said no. What a selfish asshole.
On the flip side at least Goku had the common sense to tell him about it. Why in the anime he thought not telling the 2nd strongest fighter in U7 about something like that was a good idea still makes 0 sense.

I think the manga wanted to try and make him seem more family man but it could've done a much better job as it makes Vegeta just seem stupid cause him being in the tournament gives her a higher chance of living past her 2nd day.
Goku did want to tell everyone about the true stakes of the Tournament Of Power but Gohan told him not to out of fear that if the people they wanted on their team were to know what was at stake with regards the Tournament Of Power, they wouldn't want to take part.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:45 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:- ...fuckVegeta for declining to be on Team Universe 7 to take part in the tournament because he more concerned about when Bra would be born. At least in the anime, he didn't know the stakes, so him declining was more tolerable and understandable. But in this chapter, he knew what the stakes were and still said no. What a selfish asshole.
On the flip side at least Goku had the common sense to tell him about it. Why in the anime he thought not telling the 2nd strongest fighter in U7 about something like that was a good idea still makes 0 sense.

I think the manga wanted to try and make him seem more family man but it could've done a much better job as it makes Vegeta just seem stupid cause him being in the tournament gives her a higher chance of living past her 2nd day.
Goku did want to tell everyone about the true stakes of the Tournament Of Power but Gohan told him not to out of fear that if the people they wanted on their team were to know what was at stake with regards the Tournament Of Power, they wouldn't want to take part.
I still don’t get why Goku is always blame for lying to his friends when Gohan was the one who told him to lie and Beerus approved of it. When left to himself, Goku told the truth to Piccolo and 17.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:45 pm

dbs fanboy wrote:SO... Jiren is much better in the manga so far.
I agree, I still think the anime is a vastly superior product, but this arc so far it's better in terms of characterization (ignoring Vegeta using Chichi logic, of course).
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:46 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Goku did want to tell everyone about the true stakes of the Tournament Of Power but Gohan told him not to out of fear that if the people they wanted on their team were to know what was at stake with regards the Tournament Of Power, they wouldn't want to take part.
...which was a pretty stupid thing to think since those people (except Buu and 17) are usually the first at the party when the fate of the world is on the line. :eh:

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:14 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: - I'm not sure how to feel about Jiren being a superhero play absolutely straight. On one hand, it makes the showdown between him and Goku a more enticing dynamic, given Jiren's adamant heroism and Goku's more somewhat lackadaisical nature. But on the other hand, I feel it can somewhat limit any kind of character development he can have.
Limiting any development :?: This can lead to interesting scene with his dilema of battling the other universe or not
    All in all decent chapter.
      -I don't like how everyone is blaming goku still i liked the scene where goku kinda regret his decision when shin mention a lot of innocent live are gonna die.
        -I liked how detailed the explanation was for the mortal levels as well the reaction are wonderful when they figured U1,12,5 & 8 are not entering.
          -The recruitment is the same with vegeta being gohan,i find it stupid how vegeta denied entering the tournament until his baby his born,that's some chi chi level of dumbness.
            -Now u11 and it was highlight of this chapter with vermoud being a good character,i liked his dialogue and mannerism.
              -The pride trooper vs the crab,it did a good job introducing dyspo and the pride troopers,double point for dyspo not being a chump.
                -Jiren enter,toyotaro did a good establishing this character in 1 chapter and is actually a unique rival introduced here :eh: kudos to the manga not playing it safe.
                  -Toppo is all right,not better than the anime but all right.I liked his dialogue with jiren,because the latter refused to enter because he didn't want to erased the other universes but he will lose everything to protect,such an interesting scene because is a double edge for jiren and someone actually questioned this topic.
                  Last edited by The gr on Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
                  Mostly active on discord.

Olympian
                  Regular

Post by Olympian » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:12 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
                  Lord Beerus wrote:Goku did want to tell everyone about the true stakes of the Tournament Of Power but Gohan told him not to out of fear that if the people they wanted on their team were to know what was at stake with regards the Tournament Of Power, they wouldn't want to take part.
                  ...which was a pretty stupid thing to think since those people (except Buu and 17) are usually the first at the party when the fate of the world is on the line. :eh:
                  It`s a stupid line in general to reek drama. All the main cast have laid their lives to save others, it`s nothing new other than sheer scale but after Cell and Buu?

"Oh, another one, sure, why not, Goku still gets the final wish, right? Doable"
                  Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

TKA
                  Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:12 pm

Nice chapter.
                  The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Noah
                  Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:33 pm

TKA wrote:Nice chapter.
                  Care to elaborate that?
                  乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

mfwlegend3
                  Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:47 pm

Bulma: "If it's always like this, I'll have plenty more babies! Could I ask you to do it again, Whis?"
                  Whis: "Anytime. Barring the erasure of this universe."
                  Fast forward into EoZ, Bra and Trunks are still the only ones seen. :lol:

Bullza
                  Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:36 pm

Yeah they really played up Jiren's sense of Justice here, does give him a little bit more personality than in the anime.

I always had the sense in the anime version that Jiren wasn't really like Toppo. That he wasn't really all that heroic and who was out to save people but was a Pride Trooper because it gave him a lot of opportunities to fight other strong beings.

He's essentially Superman in the manga version. The anime has made him seem a bit more cocky and threatening. I wouldn't really want to go anywhere near that Jiren.

I'm fine with his anime portrayal though.

HeroR
                  Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:32 am

Thinking about it more, Goku's carefree attitude seems more out of place in the manga.

In the anime, Goku didn't really know how stronger Jiren was other than he was stronger than Toppo, who Goku handled with Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan and most likely could have stomped with Kaioken. So from Goku's point-of-view, he could have seen Kaioken x20 being enough for Jiren and if the worst happens, Spirit Bomb him. Goku literally had no clue what he was up against until Jiren pushed back the Spirit Bomb even with him using Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan/Kaioken x20.

Here, Goku lost to Toppo, even if it did come down to Goku dropping his guard at a really bad time, and is told up front that Jiren is stronger than U11's God of Destruction. Goku fought Beerus and have a very good idea how strong a God of Destruction is, especially so since he saw a royal rumble with them, and anyone stronger than that is more than a cause for concern. So Goku's "I just have to win' statement is odd since he comes up with no answer to how to deal with Jiren. Which also makes Vegeta's refusal to be in the tournament at first even stranger since he should also know that some random guy being stronger than a God of Destruction doesn't suggest his daughter have long to live.

Overall, Goku and the others knowing Jiren's strength doesn't seem to effect the story in any way, as of yet, and it makes everyone looked kinda feather-headed, even compared to the anime.

But on a positive note, I do loved how Shin takes responsibility for his failure as a Supreme Kai by saying that he feels bad that his universe will suffer because they did a bad job at governing, while Beerus is still going 'it's never my fault'. I missed Goku calling out Beerus on this like anime Goku did since this is by far the most annoying aspect about Beerus.
                  Kanassa wrote:
                  Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

pacz360
                  I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:41 am

dbs fanboy wrote:SO........Jiren is much better in the manga so far.

Also YES, HE'S THE SUPERMAN OF DB
                  I dont get this shit :yawn:
                  Jiren and superman are nothing a like in character
                  Like come on people he aint the only super hero in fiction

mfwlegend3
                  Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:47 am

pacz360 wrote:Like come on people he aint the only super hero in fiction
                  They were all inspired from Superman, though. So people wanting to compare Superman and Jiren aren't far off.

HeroR
                  Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:57 am

mfwlegend3 wrote:
                  They were all inspired from Superman, though. So people wanting to compare Superman and Jiren aren't far off.
                  No, not all of them are inspired by Superman. A lot of super heroes are inspired by the Greek and Norse gods, including Superman.
                  Kanassa wrote:

pacz360
                  I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:02 am

mfwlegend3 wrote:
                  Except jiren has nothing in common with supes whatsoever like many other heroes besides not wanting to take lives which isn't exclusive to big blue especially where Flash,Spider Man,Batman and many others not just from western share it as well
                  So outside of being strong which isn't even a comparison where hundred of characters in fiction are strong themselves neither have anything in common

pacz360
                  I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:03 am

HeroR wrote:
                  mfwlegend3 wrote:
                  No, not all of them are inspired by Superman. A lot of super heroes are inspired by the Greek and Norse gods, including Superman.
                  This as well

mfwlegend3
                  Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:09 am

HeroR wrote:No, not all of them are inspired by Superman. A lot of super heroes are inspired by the Greek and Norse gods, including Superman.
                  Superman still was the one to revolutionize the whole "symbol of justice that fends evil away from peace" trope in comic books across the globe, and that's an undeniable fact. Whenever someone thinks of "superhero" they immediately think of him. Plus, I highly doubt Jiren was based on any figure in mythology. Just as Toriyama parodied Superman in Dr. Slump with Suppaman, it'd be fair to assume Jiren was actually based on him.
                  pacz360 wrote:Except jiren has nothing in common
                  To say they have "nothing" in common is absurd. They're both hell bent on establishing justice and put the lives of civilians before themselves. Jiren even flying across space from one planet to other is similar to what Superman did in one of the comics where he was busy on another planet, was phoned, and immediately flew over to Earth. Some want to say they also have similar flying, but I wouldn't want to add that in since that's kind of reaching, IMO.

pacz360
                  I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:16 am

mfwlegend3 wrote:
                  HeroR wrote:No, not all of them are inspired by Superman. A lot of super heroes are inspired by the Greek and Norse gods, including Superman.
                  Superman still was the one to revolutionize the whole "symbol of justice that fends evil away from peace" trope in comic books across the globe, and that's an undeniable fact. Whenever someone thinks of "superhero" they immediately think of him. Plus, I highly doubt Jiren was based on any figure in mythology. Just as Toriyama parodied Superman in Dr. Slump with Suppaman, it'd be fair to assume Jiren was actually based on him.
                  pacz360 wrote:Except jiren has nothing in common
                  To say they have "nothing" in common is absurd. They're both hell bent on establishing justice and put the lives of civilians before themselves. Jiren even flying across space from one planet to other is similar to what Superman did in one of the comics where he was busy on another planet, was phoned, and immediately flew over to Earth. Some want to say they also have similar flying, but I wouldn't want to add that in since that's kind of reaching, IMO.
                  Batman says hi
                  Shazam says hi
                  Captain America Says hi
                  The Flash says hi
                  Spider Man days hi
                  Invincible days hi
                  Thors says hi
                  It ain't exclusive dude hell
                  Flying across spaces isn't something exclusive to big blue Thor,sentry,gladiator,surfer,wonder woman etc do it too
                  So yeah besides justice thing there's really not much in common between the two

mfwlegend3
                  Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:19 am

pacz360 wrote:Batman says hi
                  Shazam says hi
                  Captain America Says hi
                  The Flash says hi
                  Spider Man days hi
                  Invincible days hi
                  Thors says hi
                  It ain't exclusive dude
                  That still doesn't negate what I said about Superman and Jiren sharing that same trait though, so it's entirely fair if people want to compare them.

HeroR
                  Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:21 am

pacz360 wrote: Batman says hi
                  Shazam says hi
                  Captain America Says hi
                  The Flash says hi
                  Spider Man days hi
                  Invincible days hi
                  Thors says hi
                  It ain't exclusive dude hell
                  Flying across spaces isn't something exclusive to big blue Thor,sentry,gladiator,surfer,wonder woman etc do it too
                  So yeah besides justice thing there's really not much in common between the two
                  Captain Marvel, although I think he is called Shazam for New 52. Which annoys many fans.
                  mfwlegend3 wrote: Superman still was the one to revolutionize the whole "symbol of justice that fends evil away from peace" trope in comic books across the globe, and that's an undeniable fact. Whenever someone thinks of "superhero" they immediately think of him. Plus, I highly doubt Jiren was based on any figure in mythology. Just as Toriyama parodied Superman in Dr. Slump with Suppaman, it'd be fair to assume Jiren was actually based on him.
                  Superman is the most popular, but he wasn't the only one to 'revolutionize' the "symbol of justice that fends evil away from peace" back in the Golden Era of comics. We had:

All-American Comics (Green Lantern)

All-Star Comics (Justice Society of America)

Sensation Comics (Wonder Woman)

Whiz Comics (Captain Marvel)

Captain America Comics

I could go on, but my point is to think of only Superman as sole "symbol of justice that fends evil away from peace" shows a lack of knowledge about comic book history. Especially since Golden Age Superman was a dick, didn't have half his powers like flight, and didn't become the Superman that many people think of today until the Silver Age. By then, Superman 'borrowed' elements from other super heroes like Captain Marvel.

Overall, Jiren and Superman have paper think connections. Jiren is just a generic 'super hero'-type.
                  Last edited by HeroR on Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
                  Kanassa wrote: