"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TKA
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by TKA » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:35 pm

Good stuff. The tournament actually feels like a battle royale now
People getting knocked out due to being blindsided
Goodstuff
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:39 pm

TKA wrote:Good stuff. The tournament actually feels like a battle royale now
Goodstuff
That actually felt underwhelming to me. So many characters getting one-shotted. Especially a certain Yardrat forgetting how to teleport was nearly as bad as butterfly girl in the anime forgetting how to fly.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:56 pm

Jackalope89 wrote:
Goodstuff
That actually felt underwhelming to me. So many characters getting one-shotted. Especially a certain Yardrat forgetting how to teleport was nearly as bad as butterfly girl in the anime forgetting how to fly.
Those are fodder. They should get this treatment.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:09 pm

Miracles wrote:Those are fodder. They should get this treatment.
Exactly and I prefer this way. It would take forever for this tournament to end if everyone was Top tier.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:45 pm

Jackalope89 wrote: So many characters getting one-shotted. Especially a certain Yardrat forgetting how to teleport was nearly as bad as butterfly girl in the anime forgetting how to fly.
1. The Yardrat got knocked out because he was caught off guard. That was pretty clear.

2. In the manga, the focus is only on Universes 11, 6 and 7. The manga has made it clear these are the universes we should care about. Everyone else is fodder, essentially. The anime treated everyone like fodder, despite spending episodes introducing all the universes and telling viewers to pay attention to them. I much prefer the manga's route. We know they're fodder, it treats them like fodder and doesn't waste our time.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:55 pm

Toyotaro should skip the fight between jiren and hit, and focus it in hit vs vegeta. Lets be real here. Jiren is only going to be matched by UI goku, and that’s it. I’d rather see an intense fight, rather than jiren just casually swooping anyone who is below hakaishin level.

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:58 pm

Just read the chapter and my same thoughts apply to when I read the raw version. Interesting that both versions had Tien comment on the invisible fighter. Hopefully he gets to fight him in this version, would prefer that over him fighting the sniper from U2. Also seems like the Frost and Freeza plan is being set into motion much earlier, though I hope it leads to something but I'm doubtful. Well at the least I hope we get Frost vs Krillin I think that would be neat to see. Still positive about this chapter just hope that it doesn't lose its momentum in the next one.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:01 am

Spectacular chapter, like always, the manga makes me like characters I couldn't have cared less about before, 17 and 18 surprising are doing work and I love every second of it, Goku is just being a total badass and that's bloody awesome, Freeza was actually feeling like a landmine your put in your back pocket forgot about it and now looking for somewhere to sit, shit could blow up any time ( I would be totally convinced freeza is gonna be a shithead if I already didn't know where this went )

Honorable mentions, Cabba, God I freaking love his character in the manga, but there simply isn't enough Cabba to put him in the main list, Cauliflowa, God I enjoy the fuck out of her character here, Kale, holy shit she is scary, quite people are scary in anime and you should run if you see one..

Now for the complaints

* Having Jiren be active so soon, I don't know how I feel about this, I will have to wait and see how it plays out but this doesn't look good..

* Gohan being ignored by the strongest guys right out of the bat being there, why? Why would you do this toriyama ( I get it why and it totally makes sense, but this upsets me so it's gonna be taking a portion on this list )

* Jiren ignoring SS Goku when he was disposing all of Jiren's team at the same time
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:07 am

Kenneth La Torre wrote:Toyotaro should skip the fight between jiren and hit, and focus it in hit vs vegeta. Lets be real here. Jiren is only going to be matched by UI goku, and that’s it. I’d rather see an intense fight, rather than jiren just casually swooping anyone who is below hakaishin level.
That may just happen.

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:47 am

Miracles wrote:
Kenneth La Torre wrote:Toyotaro should skip the fight between jiren and hit, and focus it in hit vs vegeta. Lets be real here. Jiren is only going to be matched by UI goku, and that’s it. I’d rather see an intense fight, rather than jiren just casually swooping anyone who is below hakaishin level.
That may just happen.
I hope so

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:47 am

So after reading the latest chapter, I feel like we're heading into another situation where neither medium is necessarily superior to the other and there are pros/cons to both.

One clear advantage I think the manga is going to have over the anime in this arc is its handling of major characters, and that's already in addition to Toyotaro's generally superior usage of power-scaling. Jiren the Grey, for example, is already given more effective characterization in just a few chapters than he's had in the entirety of the anime, and I highly doubt the manga's going to have any superfluous scripting problems that frequently arose in its counterpart medium where, for example, characters like Vegeta end up repeating the same lines over and over again which reduces the impact their development might otherwise have carried with less dialogue redundancy. Narrative beats seem to flow more smoothly so far, foreshadowing in general is much more effective, and most significant characters themselves and their interactions are almost always concise and to-the-point. There's occasionally an exception to this rule (Goku Black, for example, was handled better in the anime) but generally the manga is always going to be my go-to for this sort of streamlined storytelling approach.

On the other hand, in regards to less important characters I feel like the anime might end up having the edge. As Doctor. mentioned, conceptualizing someone with a pre-established racial background like Jimeze really begs the question as to why that character would be eliminated so quickly in the manga, especially considering that he received so much more attention in the anime. Plenty of other minor fighters in the anime likewise play entertaining roles as well as having a lot of fun callbacks to other genres and franchises in Japan -- particularly Katopesla paying homage to Kamen Rider, or the Kamikaze Fireballs paying homage to magical girls. It's somewhat disappointing, then, that Katopesla is eliminated as quickly as Jimeze and that the Kamikaze Fireballs don't appear to utilize any sort of character dynamic thus far. Maybe future chapters will prove me wrong, or perhaps instead we may even get some focus on other minor characters that were basically fodderized in the anime as a welcome change, but so far any amount of narrative focus in the current chapter has been relegated almost entirely to the major players such as Universe 7, 6, and 11. In other words, any reader hoping to see some of these unknown secondaries receive a sufficient amount of screentime, background or development could walk away from the manga disappointed by the time the arc is concluded. I'm not saying that will happen, but it's a very real possibility that we should take into account.

If my prediction turns out to be correct, I actually wouldn't be surprised if these pros and cons were somewhat intentional -- as if there was some level of communication between Toyotaro and the anime's production staff where both parties ultimately agreed to emphasize different things in their works in order to provide something fresh to Super's audience as a whole. I'm probably giving their creative efforts too much credit there, but it's possible.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:52 am

MajinMan wrote:That’s the thing, it’s a manga. It’s just pictures of characters getting one-shotted out the ring. I never really like Toyotaro’s action scenes all too much, so maybe that has something to do with it.
To each their own, but I didn't mean to condemn it as a montage in the static or uninteresting sense. It offers quick glimpses into a lot of early chaos, but each part we see offers distinct and snappy action. It flows well. Goku dealing with the Pride Troopers, Jiren running off, #17's antics, even Vegeta and #18's quick skirmishes: Everything had a rhythm and personality to it.

On another note, I just reread the chapters in this arc so far, and I have to say: I really like it. Like, not just for Super. This is good extra Dragon Ball material, and feels like a good additional final arc so far. Hope it continues to hold up.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:14 am

Cipher wrote:
MajinMan wrote:That’s the thing, it’s a manga. It’s just pictures of characters getting one-shotted out the ring. I never really like Toyotaro’s action scenes all too much, so maybe that has something to do with it.
To each their own, but I didn't mean to condemn it as a montage in the static or uninteresting sense. It offers quick glimpses into a lot of early chaos, but each part we see offers distinct and snappy action. It flows well. Goku dealing with the Pride Troopers, Jiren running off, #17's antics, even Vegeta and #18's quick skirmishes: Everything had a rhythm and personality to it.

On another note, I just reread the chapters in this arc so far, and I have to say: I really like it. Like, not just for Super. This is good extra Dragon Ball material, and feels like a good additional final arc so far. Hope it continues to hold up.
Yeah,toyotaro has upped his game in this arc.His art has improved,he isn't playing too safe,less needless exposition dumps and antagonist is quite interesting too.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Namz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Namz » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:10 am

Jackalope89 wrote:
Goodstuff
Do people even think or something? Why is no one using a little bit of common sense?
The Yardrat didn't get eliminated. He did teleport.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:21 am

Namz wrote:
Jackalope89 wrote:
Goodstuff
Do people even think or something? Why is no one using a little bit of common sense?
It's ambiguous which is probably done intentionally.

Rebel Instinct
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rebel Instinct » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:36 am

Cipher wrote:On another note, I just reread the chapters in this arc so far, and I have to say: I really like it. Like, not just for Super. This is good extra Dragon Ball material, and feels like a good additional final arc so far. Hope it continues to hold up.
Coincidentally, I was just skimming through a few pages of the DBS manga myself. It had been a long time since I last properly reread through the manga and while I remember how it all went and I enjoyed reading it well enough, lately I'd been wondering if I truly enjoyed it for what it was or if I was enjoying it in spite of the anime's shortcomings (in so much as it avoided most of the issues I personally had with the anime). While I was skimming through, I realized that I'd stopped skimming somewhere along the way, had become engrossed in reading and had completely lost track of time. I realized that I'd been thoroughly enjoying myself the whole time.

I wasn't making comparisons in my head or even thinking about the anime. It really put the doubts I had about my own feelings to bed. I enjoy the manga exactly for what it is. The character interactions are great. The humor is on point (I found myself chuckling out loud to myself multiple times). The fights are entertaining and well though out. The narrative is concise with no extra fat or meandering. Processing it all within its own context, and that context alone, it was still a solid read. To me, it still stands just fine without the need for comparisons to hold it up.

I'm glad I went back and read it. Now I have no real doubts anymore about where I stand and like you, I'm looking forward to seeing where the Tournament of Power goes. It's kind of liberating in a way. Forgive me if that was a little out of no where and rambly. Hearing that someone else just got through rereading part of the manga and thoroughly enjoying it right around the exact same time I did just made me feel like talking about it I guess. :lol:
The post-Super fandom has ruined my love for Dragon Ball.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:44 am

Namz wrote:
Jackalope89 wrote:
Goodstuff
The Yardrat pretty clearly gets eliminated here. It's not like the anime where we can see him teleport a split second before he disappears from view, we see him fall off the stage with another and the elimination effect.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:51 am

A pretty interesting reason for that pride troopers wings.
It's a very Toriyama-ish move to give the little guy wings: it helps him stay visible and fills up what would otherwise be empty space. This was the precise reasoning that led to the creation of Gacchan in Dr. Slump.
Image Image
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/9665 ... 32864?s=20

TajinRice

Post by TajinRice » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:48 pm

Loving how the manga is handling everything. I dont know what gave Toei the idea to have multiple writers and go ahead of the manga. Truly believe this is why Super is being put on the shelf. Because it had no consistent feel or direction. Fans are very upset and turned off by the padding,filler the power scale being off scale. The repeated story lines. How many times are we going to go through Kale transformation and her trying to master it? How many times did we have to go through Jiren defeating Goku but not knocking him off the edge?

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:24 pm

TajinRice wrote:Loving how the manga is handling everything. I dont know what gave Toei the idea to have multiple writers and go ahead of the manga. Truly believe this is why Super is being put on the shelf. Because it had no consistent feel or direction. Fans are very upset and turned off by the padding,filler the power scale being off scale. The repeated story lines. How many times are we going to go through Kale transformation and her trying to master it? How many times did we have to go through Jiren defeating Goku but not knocking him off the edge?
Uh, mate? Both of those only happened once unless I’m forgetting something. Kale only attempted to master her berserk transformation while teaming with caulifla against goku. Jiren only best goku once and was stopped from proceeding any further when hit tried to blindside him.