"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:07 am

Theophrastus wrote:http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... 18/.117811
Volume 3 sold an additional 29,002 copies, bringing its total so far to 199,640.
Welp, still no 200k. It's just a matter of time though, but the 300k goal is still a wishful dream at this point.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:15 pm

Even though I despise Toyotaro and his homages in every damn chapter, it's undeniable the improvement of his art on the current chapter.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:22 pm

Noah wrote:Even though I despise Toyotaro and his homages in every damn chapter, it's undeniable the improvement of his art on the current chapter.
The feeling is mutual, Noah. Though, I thought I was the only one to have despised Toyotarō.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:44 pm

Steven Bloodriver wrote:
Noah wrote:Even though I despise Toyotaro and his homages in every damn chapter, it's undeniable the improvement of his art on the current chapter.
The feeling is mutual, Noah. Though, I thought I was the only one to have despised Toyotarō.
Why do you hate Toyo Noah and Steve, because despising a guy that do homages sounds petty
Mostly active on discord.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:03 pm

The gr wrote: Why do you hate Toyo Noah and Steve, because despising a guy that do homages sounds petty
Not just because of his homages, but because he's not really a good writer, both anime and manga has pros and cons, I prefer the anime for feeling more natural than just a big exposition dump IMO
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:09 pm

The gr wrote:
Steven Bloodriver wrote:
Why do you hate Toyo Noah and Steve, because despising a guy that do homages sounds petty
While I hate Toyotarō, it is not because of his homages. I hate him for his all-too-common insatiable lust for screwing around with everyone, even us fans.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:11 pm

Steven Bloodriver wrote: I hate him for his all-too-common insatiable lust for screwing around with everyone, even us fans.
Following in Toriyama's footsteps, then?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:18 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Steven Bloodriver wrote: I hate him for his all-too-common insatiable lust for screwing around with everyone, even us fans.
Yeah, pretty much. But on a Universal-scale.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:18 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Yup he's following toriyama footstep, screwing with everyone expectation
Noah wrote:
The gr wrote: Why do you hate Toyo Noah and Steve, because despising a guy that do homages sounds petty
Not just because of his homages, but because he's not really a good writer, both anime and manga has pros and cons, I prefer the anime for feeling more natural than just a big exposition dump IMO
Is a writer habit,he won't stop with these exposition and homage,at this point is a trait of his product,he will still do these In the next arc but I will say These issue wasn't that apparent in u6,his writing in that arc was decent and I say he won't screw up the Top because he's good with simpler stories
Mostly active on discord.

avasatu
Beyond Newbie

Post by avasatu » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:36 am

Gig wrote: Here you are comparing an anime scene (episode 95) with a manga scene (chapter 25), right? What's a fact in the anime isn't necessarily a fact in the manga, and vice-versa. Furthermore, the ball of "power of destruction" we just saw in episode 95 does not seem exactly the same "hakai" technique used against Zamasu (and against the evil ghost in the Arale episode) by Beerus, as that one was invisible and did not look like a ball. So maybe the long-distance "energy ball" variant is less effective than the short-distance "invisible" variant. Or Sidra limited the amount of energy due to it having to be used by a mere mortal... who knows?
Just to say that what we saw in episode 95 may be very different from chapter 25, I don't think we can compare the strenght needed to resist those techniques...
I understand it's manga vs. anime, but I don't see Toyo scrapping Frieza resisting the energy of destruction down the line (or Goku, for that matter), so I felt I made a valid point, which I will happily retract if and when the time comes. As far as the technique Goku used vs. Beerus, I think it's safe to say they're similar enough that the distinction you brought up doesn't hold much weight, particularly because Goku's technique is certainly weaker than Beerus' provided they are in fact different. On yet another note, it's directly implied that Goku was borrowing this technique, which even in the manga he hints to have seen prior, from Beerus, so while it may not be a fully identical or mastered version of it, it's going to be quite close in nature. Thanks for your comment, though, it got me thinking about a few other things for down the road. Oh! Another thing is that Zamasu could have just been taken off guard.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:06 pm

LightBing wrote:
MCDaveG wrote:I don't know, maybe it's the culture nowadays or that we were kids back then... Things like ''That apple you ate 8 years ago, was from gods and now you can unlock hidden potential to beat these guys'' was totally normal.
All kid tv shows had asspulls :)
It's like what I wrote a few pages back, people suffer from cognitive dissonance. Part of it is because people first watched/read the show as kids, when we are more accepting of ideas and don't bother following a set of scrutiny.
Meaning these ideas are now as real as the sun coming up every morning, something which isn't questioned.

Another part of it is beliefs. The most famous is probably Trunks and Goten getting SSJ easily. People got angry/disappointed and called it an asspull because to them SSJ is legendary and only a few should have it. When the author never put any restrictions on it.
Here it's about the Hakai which should only belong to the Hakaishins because people like to think it's special.
Yes, I agree, you have summed it up perfectly :)
You can call Potara earrings as asspull as well ''Hey, guys, I have this earrings and if you put them on your ears, you will fuse better than those kids did with dancing and will be unstoppable''.
With a recent retcon ''only gods can stay forever with potara earrings''...
I didn't had a issue with it as a kid, it was cool and I probably don't have now. Tough pulling out that retcon after twenty years of everyones fantasies of what would it like to have Goku and Vegeta fused forever if they weren't separated by foul air was little nasty, but sure, in the end, it was better than foul air and you can't have your main characters fused into someone another and have the voice actors voicing him like this :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:58 am

Chapter 26 should be our last chapter of this arc, if not anything, our worst case scenario would be chapter 27 being the last chapter of this arc, no further than that. Just like the anime, Future Trunks slicing Merged Zamasu was the reason why Infinite Zamasu was created. It plays similarly in the manga, but it's actually Vegeta that worsens the effect because of his Gamma Blast. Anyways, in chapter 26, the Zeno button should be pressed, with Future Zeno being brought to the future, erasing that entire universe including Infinite Zamasu. The team would then quickly head back to the past. After that, the events of the second half of episode 67 should take place in the manga accordingly. I'm just worried if they're going to be able to fit all of that into chapter 26, because I really want the manga to get to the Tournament of Power arc already. The destruction of the future timeline and the explanation for Trunks and Mai meeting duplicates of themselves once they go back to the future may require a lot of explanation, and i'm not too confident that Toyo could fit all of that into once chapter. Oh well.

Theophrastus
Regular

Post by Theophrastus » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:24 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... 25/.118150

Volume 3 is up to 219,440 copies sold now. Fairly high chance that it'll fall out of the top 50 next week, though, and then it's pretty much off the radar.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:49 pm

superfan2024 wrote:Chapter 26 should be our last chapter of this arc, if not anything, our worst case scenario would be chapter 27 being the last chapter of this arc, no further than that. Just like the anime, Future Trunks slicing Merged Zamasu was the reason why Infinite Zamasu was created. It plays similarly in the manga, but it's actually Vegeta that worsens the effect because of his Gamma Blast. Anyways, in chapter 26, the Zeno button should be pressed, with Future Zeno being brought to the future, erasing that entire universe including Infinite Zamasu. The team would then quickly head back to the past. After that, the events of the second half of episode 67 should take place in the manga accordingly. I'm just worried if they're going to be able to fit all of that into chapter 26, because I really want the manga to get to the Tournament of Power arc already. The destruction of the future timeline and the explanation for Trunks and Mai meeting duplicates of themselves once they go back to the future may require a lot of explanation, and i'm not too confident that Toyo could fit all of that into once chapter. Oh well.
I think 40 pages are more than enough to end the arc. We're missing how Zeno gets rid of the clones and the conclusion, that's it. Conclusions are usually rushed in the manga, also in Toriyama times, but I hope he doesn't rush it this time, because there are a lot of loops that I wouldn't like to stay loose. We'll see.

By the way, Bulma said that they can't use the time machine again, apart for one last return, I guess. They can't go back for Zeno and Trunks and Mai can't use it either. But Trunks could still have Cell's or maybe no timeline destruction...
Heno heno kappa!

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:50 pm

Theophrastus wrote:http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... 25/.118150

Volume 3 is up to 219,440 copies sold now. Fairly high chance that it'll fall out of the top 50 next week, though, and then it's pretty much off the radar.
It's holding out much longer than I was expecting. Next week HunterxHunter Volume 34 will shake that entire table up.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:26 am

I figure we'll get to the actual Tournament of Power by January/February.
This month will be the end of the FT arc
August/September/Part of October will be the exhibition matches
November-December will be the recruitment, mostly focusing on Freeza. I do think it'll get 2 chapters though.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:37 am

I honestly hope the "Goku presses the Zeno button" and the Zen Exhibition match take a single chapter together. The only things of importance from the matches are learning the rules, and giving Buu a sweet fight in lieu of his absence from the battle royal. At 40 pages, that shouldn't need to take more than a chapter, right?

From there, #17 and Freeza (and I guess Piccolo's talk with Gohan about how he drops the ball every fucking time he's the "big guy", giving him that push to get back into form) together could be a chapter. The other universes that matter (Pride Troopers and Cabba's Super Sand Lesbians™) could likewise take another.

Let's be generous and assume Toyo continues to take his sweet fucking time with the Zamasu arc, and it takes two more chapters to wrap up. This arc lasts the summer. Battle Royal could then start in December.

Slow moving, but I'd rather that than a rushed hack-job.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:05 am

Zephyr wrote:I honestly hope the "Goku presses the Zeno button" and the Zen Exhibition match take a single chapter together. The only things of importance from the matches are learning the rules, and giving Buu a sweet fight in lieu of his absence from the battle royal. At 40 pages, that shouldn't need to take more than a chapter, right?
That's impossible, you have to deal with Trunks and Mai leaving, then Goku setting up the tournament in the first place, as well as time passing, then the actual fights. It'd be way too rushed. The FT arc is definitely ending this month, I'm 100% sure.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:16 am

OLKv3 wrote:That's impossible, you have to deal with Trunks and Mai leaving, then Goku setting up the tournament in the first place, as well as time passing, then the actual fights. It'd be way too rushed. The FT arc is definitely ending this month, I'm 100% sure.
I don't think Trunks/Mai's departure or Goku setting up the tournament need to take more than a few/handful of pages each. Time passing is a non-issue, since time skips are, and always have been, a thing.

3 of the 4 actual fights are really unimportant. Goku and Gohan can be given little more than like a panel each, since they'll get their actual spotlights in the battle royal. Toppo thinking Goku's a villain doesn't really warrant an actual fight, and even if it did, it would only take a few pages for them to scuffle and then give Jiren that name drop.

Pannaliciour
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Pannaliciour » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:31 am

Dont forget bringing back freeza, the manga never showed him that much.