"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:50 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote: Which makes me wonder how much Toriyama really cares about "easy transformations," "unearned power ups," and those things that get the western fandom into such a snit. Based on his past interviews, he's fine with people having some fun in his sandbox. I find it rather hard to believe that he wouldn't be aware of things like that whole Caulifla thing or Kaioken Blue or Super Blue Vegeta and have the opportunity to put his foot down or suggest changes if he found them objectionable. The only thing I can recall him protesting against was Toyotaro wanting to put Belmod and Marcarita in a relationship because Angels wouldn't do that.
I don't think he really cares since he gave Goten and Trunks Super Saiyan for no good reason and even made fun of how easily they got Super Saiyan. We then have Gohan sitting on his butt and becoming the strongest unfused character and then Freeza's four months power boost. To be fair, the majority of fans don't care about these things and it really just a very loud vocal potion.

Favoritism also plays a role since most people were okay with Gohan giant power-up this arc, but had fits over 17, Cali, and Kale.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:52 pm

gammabeast21 wrote:Mangatards must make up their mind. Is the manga a great stand alone story? Or is DBS great when you combine them? Because it is shit if you ignore the anime. This is what we know by just looking at manga:

1. First time we see Gohan in 20+ Chapters(where it is said he isn't a fighter) and his has resolve changed and is ready for to fight again ( all done off screen).

2. Goku didn't speak to Gohan(his son) at all this chapter and this is the first time they see each other since the 4th/5th chapter of the manga.

3. Freeza negotiations were treated as a gag and remember by looking at manga on its own the last time we saw Freeza was the shitty movie. Remember how hateful everyone was when we first heard Freeza was coming back for the tournament, but anime converted the fan base into Freeza fan boys.

4.Krillin is good at running away. No, he is definitely not a skilled tactician and martial artist or something like that.

5. Caulifla is strong for no reason. Just because she is the strongest saiyan (anime said she is the sister of Cabbe's teacher, but with more potential).

6. The 1st Female Super Saiyan happened offscreen. Cabbe adds that she achieved it easily with no explanation. (Say what you want, but Tingly back is rooted in a real martial arts aspect known as tanden.)

Don't be offended if you're not a mangatard.
This is some very good criticism towards the manga. The anime definitely handled the recruitment part much better. I also find it lame how Freeza's power-up is casually mentioned in the manga "Yeah he did some image training and is now stronger". If the same story happened in the anime we would have had endless threads of fans melting down.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Gray Riders
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gray Riders » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:55 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Goku saying that Krillin is good at running away infuriates me. That's the kind of bullshit line I would have expected form Toei, given how they like playing up Krillin comically dogged attitude in some of the Z movies. Krillin is one of the bravest characters in the show. He didn't run away against General Blue, Nappa, Vegeta, Freeza's army, the Ginyu Force, Freeza, Cell or even Majin Boo. I mean, on some of those occasions, Goku was also there. Hell, when Goku arrives on Namek and reads Krillin's minds, he was able to see all the events that Krillin had experienced once he and Gohan had arrived on Namek. So where is the fuck is that kind of comment coming from? FUCK Goku for saying that.
That line is like something from an especially terrible fanfic, especially having Goku say it. Your best friend has risked his life repeatedly in these battles, even saved your sons life more than once, despite being stuck with his inferior non-Saiyan genes that mean he doesn't even get stronger from the near-death beatings, and you say that to him? Super-era Goku is truly the worst.
Edit: batistabus's earlier comment isn't wrong. I'm just not sure if that's what the writing was going for or not.
Last edited by Gray Riders on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:57 pm

HeroR wrote:I also wonder if Freeza is going to have a big role since the manga treated his inclusion like a wet fart, although the aftermath panel was hilarious. Gohan just getting back into shape off-scene is the worst, Imo, since Piccolo addressing his failings in the Buu Saga (which I have pointed out for years) was some of the best writing in Dragon Ball. That and Gohan shared the same weakness as his father of dropping his guard when he thinks he has won.
Gohan's treatment in the manga has been really subpar. Say what you will about how strong Gohan gets after reattaining his Ultimate transformation/form in the anime, but the anime makes it such a huge deal.

It's the same with Freeza. The set-up with him coming back as the 10th member of team Universe 7 is so much grander and well developed in the anime. You're reminded of how sadistic and treacherous Freeza is, what his secret goals are after coming back to life, while getting an idea of how much stronger he's become in his Golden Form. And his chemistry with Goku and rest of the cast is fantastic. In the manga, it's just so underwhelming how Freeza returns.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:02 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:[
Gohan's treatment in the manga has been really subpar. Say what you will about how strong Gohan gets after reattaining his Ultimate transformation/form in the anime, but the anime makes it such a huge deal.

It's the same with Freeza. The set-up with him coming back as the 10th member of team Universe 7 is so much grander and well developed in the anime. You're reminded of how sadistic and treacherous Freeza is, what his secret goals are after coming back to life, while getting an idea of how much stronger he's become in his Golden Form. And his chemistry with Goku and rest of the cast is fantastic. In the manga, it's just so underwhelming how Freeza returns.
As I said, I don't mind the recruitments being shortened, since it really did dragged in the anime, but Toyo went too far in the other direction with only U6 Saiyans, U11, Vegeta, Krillin, and 17 getting anything. I mean, this is the first time Gohan has been seen in the main manga since the Battle of Gods potion and it's such a none thing that it's actually kinda funny.

Overall, I'm more disappointed that Toyo didn't try to split the difference here and everything feels rushed like the early parts of the manga, which I hoped Toyo finally stopped doing. Stuff like this makes the manga feel like an abridged version of the anime.
Last edited by HeroR on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

TysonWine
Beyond Newbie

Post by TysonWine » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:02 pm

gammabeast21 wrote:Mangatards must make up their mind. Is the manga a great stand alone story? Or is DBS great when you combine them? Because it is shit if you ignore the anime. This is what we know by just looking at manga:

1. First time we see Gohan in 20+ Chapters(where it is said he isn't a fighter) and his has resolve changed and is ready for to fight again ( all done off screen).

2. Goku didn't speak to Gohan(his son) at all this chapter and this is the first time they see each other since the 4th/5th chapter of the manga.

3. Freeza negotiations were treated as a gag and remember by looking at manga on its own the last time we saw Freeza was the shitty movie. Remember how hateful everyone was when we first heard Freeza was coming back for the tournament, but anime converted the fan base into Freeza fan boys.

4.Krillin is good at running away. No, he is definitely not a skilled tactician and martial artist or something like that.

5. Caulifla is strong for no reason. Just because she is the strongest saiyan (anime said she is the sister of Cabbe's teacher, but with more potential).

6. The 1st Female Super Saiyan happened offscreen. Cabbe adds that she achieved it easily with no explanation. (Say what you want, but Tingly back is rooted in a real martial arts aspect known as tanden.)

Don't be offended if you're not a mangatard.
Outside of "Mangatards," this is a very good point. Something the manga gets away with is skipping scenes because the anime already did them, and thus is able to rush the product with less criticism. Yes, the manga and anime are separate stories, but I'm human and sometimes can't help but connect the two in spots where it seems fit. Maybe this causes me to cut Toyotaro slack in areas where I otherwise wouldn't.

The anime created the hype for the main characters heading into the TOP (rather or not they lived up to it is another story), and that hype is embedded in my mind even when reading the manga. The manga by itself has created none of the hype. Not for Krillin, Gohan, or Frieza. Granted, the anime did have some absurd, unexplained power ups such as Gohan and 17 being blue level, and True Golden Frieza, but it was hype that created high expectations with a little bit of fan service thrown in. When Frieza walked up to U7 with his theme song, and the entire team was together, I got a "U7 is ready! It's Showtime!" feeling. Maybe the anime did drag out the recruitment arc, but it also had its cool moments, none of which were present in the manga.

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Nero<>Akira » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:08 pm

there's literally nothing wrong with the tingling aspect of the transformations. its the feeling you get when you concentrate ki at a certain point in your lower back. This is the case with every single saiyan as Goku confirmed. Not to mention it draws from real life martial arts.
Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).

Zamasu55
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Zamasu55 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:36 pm

Mangatards, yeah. :D :D
Well at least in the manga, people don't turn Ssj due to "tingly backs". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:58 pm

gammabeast21 wrote:Fans of the manga must make up their mind. Is the manga a great stand alone story? Or is DBS great when you combine them? Because it is shit if you ignore the anime. This is what we know by just looking at manga:

I'm actually ok with all of these things because at the end of the day, we all KNOW none of this stuff really matters so why should he focus on any of it?

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:59 pm

Zamasu55 wrote:Mangatards, yeah. :D :D
Well at least in the manga, people don't turn Ssj due to "tingly backs". :lol: :lol: :lol:
No. They just do it off-scene.
Kanassa wrote:

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:06 pm

HeroR wrote:
Super saiyan is not a big deal anymore, hell honestly, Toriyama should have made them all super saiyan at the beginning. Its why I personally never cared.

Thats how little this form matters.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:10 pm

Is the chapter out by Viz or is it translated by someone.You know as a manga fan, I'm very dissapointed on how toyotaro handled U7 here,with Krillin being good at running away,Gohan off screen training as well Goku vs Frieza,I thought he was taking his time with the recruitment, sadly he failed at it once again.At least the stuff from U11 and U6 were decent..
Mostly active on discord.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:16 pm

Yeah, what I'm getting around is, this stuff does make sense. There is just no emotion.

While the anime stuff did not make sense for a lot of people, there was emotion

Zamasu55

Post by Zamasu55 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:17 pm

HeroR wrote:
Like everyone else in Dragon Ball, aside from Goku. Try again.

And, that's still better than that tingly back thingie.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:20 pm

Once it gets to the TOP, I'm willing to bet all the fodder characters are eliminated off-screen.

In fact I think it would be funny if the manga only focuses on Goku Vs. Caulifa/Kale/Kefla, and then the final stuff with Jiren/Toppo/Dyspo. We'll probably just see one page montages of most of the other universes being eliminated.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:24 pm

precita wrote:Once it gets to the TOP, I'm willing to bet all the fodder characters are eliminated off-screen.

In fact I think it would be funny if the manga only focuses on Goku Vs. Caulifa/Kale/Kefla, and then the final stuff with Jiren/Toppo/Dyspo. We'll probably just see one page montages of most of the other universes being eliminated.
Of course, the fodder will be knocked out off screen, it just makes sense.

Its just not fun or cool which is the probably my biggest issue with the manga, yes it makes more sense than the anime on a majority of places, yes the power scale is much easier to understand, yes, characters being assholes in this fashion would match the crap fans have said in the past.

There is nothing to be excited about because Toyo knows none of this crap matters in the end.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:28 pm

HeroR wrote:
Rebel Instinct wrote:
The idea of corrupting a plot point is not what the original comment was even about. You've turned this into something it's not. By all means, continue mocking and ridiculing whoever you feel like, if that's what makes you happy. It's no skin off my nose and I'm not going to fight you about it. Do as you please. I'm out.
That was my take on the original poster's comment about enjoying salt. While I agree that you shouldn't enjoy someone hating a plot point for the sake of it, I do agree that someone corrupting the plot, especially in the case in the 'back tingle', do deserved it since that wasn't even what the story said.
But that is what we were shown and you very well actions speak louder than words in visual media.

gammabeast21

Post by gammabeast21 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:31 pm

precita wrote:Once it gets to the TOP, I'm willing to bet all the fodder characters are eliminated off-screen.

I calculated that if 5 people are eliminated every chapter(which is a lot in comparison to the anime) and minus one chapter for U9 probably going out in one chapter. It would take 15 chapters, which is 15 months
And people still want flashbacks to Gohan training and background of other universes since we weren't given any yet.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:32 pm

Zamasu55 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Like everyone else in Dragon Ball, aside from Goku. Try again.

And, that's still better than that tingly back thingie.
Not really since that wasn’t even what Cabba said. And Cabba got Super Saiyan on scene :p
Totamo wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Rebel Instinct wrote:
The idea of corrupting a plot point is not what the original comment was even about. You've turned this into something it's not. By all means, continue mocking and ridiculing whoever you feel like, if that's what makes you happy. It's no skin off my nose and I'm not going to fight you about it. Do as you please. I'm out.
That was my take on the original poster's comment about enjoying salt. While I agree that you shouldn't enjoy someone hating a plot point for the sake of it, I do agree that someone corrupting the plot, especially in the case in the 'back tingle', do deserved it since that wasn't even what the story said.
But that is what we were shown and you very well actions speak louder than words in visual media.

So why are all the U6 Saiyans mocked for ‘tingle back’ when we’re only shown Cali doing it?
Last edited by HeroR on Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:34 pm

gammabeast21 wrote:

I calculated that if 5 people are eliminated every chapter(which is a lot in comparison to the anime) and minus one chapter for U9 probably going out in one chapter. It would take 15 chapters, which is 15 months
And people still want flashbacks to Gohan training and background of other universes since we weren't given any yet.
I think Gohan is the only one who deserved more screentime.The other Universe don't matter at all so I preferred to not be dissapointed.
Mostly active on discord.