"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

gammabeast21

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by gammabeast21 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:36 pm

Totamo wrote:
precita wrote:Once it gets to the TOP, I'm willing to bet all the fodder characters are eliminated off-screen.

In fact I think it would be funny if the manga only focuses on Goku Vs. Caulifa/Kale/Kefla, and then the final stuff with Jiren/Toppo/Dyspo. We'll probably just see one page montages of most of the other universes being eliminated.
Of course, the fodder will be knocked out off screen, it just makes sense.

Its just not fun or cool which is the probably my biggest issue with the manga, yes it makes more sense than the anime on a majority of places, yes the power scale is much easier to understand, yes, characters being assholes in this fashion would match the crap fans have said in the past.

There is nothing to be excited about because Toyo knows none of this crap matters in the end.
Like Toyotaro himself said in an interview:" It is just a show about guys fighting. Anything else fans perceive deeper than that is just their imagination."

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:37 pm

gammabeast21 wrote:
precita wrote:Once it gets to the TOP, I'm willing to bet all the fodder characters are eliminated off-screen.

In fact I think it would be funny if the manga only focuses on Goku Vs. Caulifa/Kale/Kefla, and then the final stuff with Jiren/Toppo/Dyspo. We'll probably just see one page montages of most of the other universes being eliminated.
I calculated that if 5 people are eliminated every chapter(which is a lot in comparison to the anime) and minus one chapter for U9 probably going out in one chapter. It would take 15 chapters, which is 15 months
And people still want flashbacks to Gohan training and background of other universes since we weren't given any yet.
There is no way in any layer of Hell is Toyo writing 15 chapters of one tournament.

You know most of the fodder is getting knocked offscreen, I know most of the fodder is getting knocked offscreen. We all know it, just like we knew the recruitment arc was going get skipped because most of those points didn't matter.

I don't understand this fanbase, you wanted shit to make sense, now it make sense and now you are angry again. You wanted to be seen stuff that only mattered, now you are angry again.

This is why creators shouldn't pay attention to fans.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:38 pm

gammabeast21 wrote:
Totamo wrote:

Of course, the fodder will be knocked out off screen, it just makes sense.

Its just not fun or cool which is the probably my biggest issue with the manga, yes it makes more sense than the anime on a majority of places, yes the power scale is much easier to understand, yes, characters being assholes in this fashion would match the crap fans have said in the past.

There is nothing to be excited about because Toyo knows none of this crap matters in the end.
Like Toyotaro himself said in an interview:" It is just a show about guys fighting. Anything else fans perceive deeper than that is just their imagination."
Whoa, he said that. I mean thats the stereotype of what dragon ball is but I thought fans saw it to be more than that.

gammabeast21

Post by gammabeast21 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:39 pm

The gr wrote: I think Gohan is the only one who deserved more screentime.The other Universe don't matter at all so I preferred to not be dissapointed.
Would you say that if the anime didn't show anything also?

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:43 pm

gammabeast21 wrote:
If the Anime didn't show the other Universe I won't be complaining if they were fodder.Gohan is the one who deserved screentime and the Anime did a better with him,I really wanted to see Gohan overcoming his weakness.
Mostly active on discord.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:44 pm

The gr wrote:
gammabeast21 wrote:
If the Anime didn't show the other Universe I won't be complaining if they were fodder.Gohan is the one who deserved screentime and the Anime did a better with him,I really wanted to see Gohan overcoming his weakness.
You mean like U6 during the Champa Saga?
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:47 pm

HeroR wrote:
The gr wrote:
gammabeast21 wrote:
The manga did make Universe 6 weaker which is probably going to be another complaint because Goku and Vegeta are much farther ahead than any other character bar Universe 11.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:55 pm

HeroR wrote:
I don't know how to answer this,they didn't had any build up and Hit in the show was the only threat but the tournament was successful at making the audience caring for U6 without it you wouldn't even cared for that team.The manga only screwed up with Hit, the others were handled just like the show.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:02 pm

The gr wrote:
HeroR wrote:
I don't know how to answer this,they didn't had any build up and Hit in the show was the only threat but the tournament was successful at making the audience caring for U6 without it you wouldn't even cared for that team.The manga only screwed up with Hit, the others were handled just like the show.
Would you care about U6 without the anime?

And how Frost was handled was different and Magetta gave Super Saiyan Vegeta a real fight.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:09 pm

HeroR wrote: Would you care about U6 without the anime?

And how Frost was handled was different and Magetta gave Super Saiyan Vegeta a real fight.
Well Cabba is a likable character that had a cool transformation and i liked Botamo battle, Frost and Maggetta.The other are the same in the Anime,i didn't said they handled him differently.Hit is the only flop here with having a weak Battle.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:22 pm

The gr wrote:
HeroR wrote: Would you care about U6 without the anime?

Well Cabba is a likable character that had a cool transformation and i liked Botamo battle, Frost and Maggetta.The other are the same in the Anime,i didn't said they handled him differently.Hit is the only flop here with having a weak Battle.
Magetta was literally a gag fight in the manga. And I say care as in their character.
Kanassa wrote:

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:34 pm

HeroR wrote:
Magetta was literally a gag fight in the manga. And I say care as in their character.
I liked Cabba, Magetta and Frost.Botamo is a meh through his battle was cool and Hit is a disappointment.
    I've find Caulifla vs Cabba pointless, Caulifla didn't even transformed there, don't see the point of including it.

TheSaiyanGod

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:50 pm

HeroR wrote:
    Lord Beerus wrote:Decent chapter... in regards to the Universe 6 content.

I'm a bit conflicted with Caulifla introduction in the manga. I really enjoyed the aspect of Caulifla Gang being such a threat that even the Sadala Army can't handle her. But his does make me question why Caulifla wasn't chosen to fight in for Team Universe 6 during the Champa arc tournament. I mean, if Caulifla is stronger than practically all of the strongest Saiyans in Universe 6, how was she not on Champa's radar when recruiting the strongest fighters of Universe 6 to fight Universe 7, but Cabba, a character who was weaker than her, was the first chosen? Oh well. I guess you gotta put over Caulifla as a big deal.

Not really digging the idea that Caulifla learned SSJ easily off-screen. I hope Toyotaro expands on this later with exactly how she obtains the form, because this seem even more convenient than how she learned SSJ in the anime.

I do have to say that I find the concept of the Sadala Army using guns in battle as really dumb. I mean, they can fly and fire ki blasts, right?

I enjoyed that Cabba displayed more dominance and more of an authoritative position with him transforming into SSJ and humbling Caulifla and teaching her SSJ off-screen.

While I like that the anime was very upfront that Kale is monstrously powerful to justify her inclusion in the team, I also liked the subtle teases of what Kale can do in the manga (crushing the Sadala Army soldiers gun and stealing back the pendant from SSJ Cabba without either of them noticing). Even though the later justification for Kale being brought to the tournament was basically just so that she could make up the numbers. I guess Toyotaro is saving her transformation for the tournament itself and I'm okay with that.

I HATED that Goku and Freeza fighting happened off-panel. That is something I would have killed to see as we haven't seen them fight yet in the manga. Hell, even a brief skirmish like the anime gave us in Episode 95 would have been good enough. Something to really sell the idea that Golden Freeza has truly become more powerful than before.

And Gohan casually mentioning that Piccolo whipped him back into shape makes the tease of him training in the gravity room seem quite pointless. I really hope Toyotaro is planning to make Gohan turning Ultimate again, if it is going to happen, a big deal in the tournament itself. Perhaps a flashback in the tournament itself? Well, I hope that is the case.

Goku saying that Krillin is good at running away infuriates me. That's the kind of bullshit line I would have expected form Toei, given how they like playing up Krillin comically dogged attitude in some of the Z movies. Krillin is one of the bravest characters in the show. He didn't run away against General Blue, Nappa, Vegeta, Freeza's army, the Ginyu Force, Freeza, Cell or even Majin Boo. I mean, on some of those occasions, Goku was also there. Hell, when Goku arrives on Namek and reads Krillin's minds, he was able to see all the events that Krillin had experienced once he and Gohan had arrived on Namek. So where is the fuck is that kind of comment coming from? FUCK Goku for saying that.

I didn't like how Krillin and #18 refused to take part in the tournament because Goku lied about the tournament prize money in the anime and I didn't like seeing it again in the manga.

I do like that we got a glimpse of the events of ROF, and the circumstances of Freeza's death being provided from Freeza's POV were a really nice touch. And I loved that Freeza getting stronger was based on image training of him killing Goku and company thousands of times.

Freeza was drawn without a halo far too many times.

The Universe 7 portion of the chapter was very underwhelming and I feel the anime did a much better job of handling it. But I felt the Universe 6 Saiyans were better handled in some parts compared to how the anime handled them. The lack of any perspective from any of the universes is incredibly disappointing.
    To be sure, that was also in the anime and we even got images of Freeza mentally picturing murdering Goku.

I also wonder if Freeza is going to have a big role since the manga treated his inclusion like a wet fart, although the aftermath panel was hilarious. Gohan just getting back into shape off-scene is the worst, Imo, since Piccolo addressing his failings in the Buu Saga (which I have pointed out for years) was some of the best writing in Dragon Ball. That and Gohan shared the same weakness as his father of dropping his guard when he thinks he has won.
    The problem is when all this is no use in the tournament.

Piccolo told Gohan not to lower his guard like he did Boo, and not to underestimate the enemy, always using all his power.

But on EP 106 we saw that Gohan needed to be saved by Piccolo twice (which made the Namekuseijin lose several arms and expend energy), did not impose himself and Tenshinhan had to defeat the shooter (after all, Tenshinhan himself was eliminated by that ) and in the fight against Yardrat Jimizu, Gohan was almost eliminated twice for not using all his power.

kinisking
    I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:05 pm

TheSaiyanGod wrote:
    HeroR wrote:
    Lord Beerus wrote:Decent chapter... in regards to the Universe 6 content.

I'm a bit conflicted with Caulifla introduction in the manga. I really enjoyed the aspect of Caulifla Gang being such a threat that even the Sadala Army can't handle her. But his does make me question why Caulifla wasn't chosen to fight in for Team Universe 6 during the Champa arc tournament. I mean, if Caulifla is stronger than practically all of the strongest Saiyans in Universe 6, how was she not on Champa's radar when recruiting the strongest fighters of Universe 6 to fight Universe 7, but Cabba, a character who was weaker than her, was the first chosen? Oh well. I guess you gotta put over Caulifla as a big deal.

Not really digging the idea that Caulifla learned SSJ easily off-screen. I hope Toyotaro expands on this later with exactly how she obtains the form, because this seem even more convenient than how she learned SSJ in the anime.

I do have to say that I find the concept of the Sadala Army using guns in battle as really dumb. I mean, they can fly and fire ki blasts, right?

I enjoyed that Cabba displayed more dominance and more of an authoritative position with him transforming into SSJ and humbling Caulifla and teaching her SSJ off-screen.

While I like that the anime was very upfront that Kale is monstrously powerful to justify her inclusion in the team, I also liked the subtle teases of what Kale can do in the manga (crushing the Sadala Army soldiers gun and stealing back the pendant from SSJ Cabba without either of them noticing). Even though the later justification for Kale being brought to the tournament was basically just so that she could make up the numbers. I guess Toyotaro is saving her transformation for the tournament itself and I'm okay with that.

I HATED that Goku and Freeza fighting happened off-panel. That is something I would have killed to see as we haven't seen them fight yet in the manga. Hell, even a brief skirmish like the anime gave us in Episode 95 would have been good enough. Something to really sell the idea that Golden Freeza has truly become more powerful than before.

And Gohan casually mentioning that Piccolo whipped him back into shape makes the tease of him training in the gravity room seem quite pointless. I really hope Toyotaro is planning to make Gohan turning Ultimate again, if it is going to happen, a big deal in the tournament itself. Perhaps a flashback in the tournament itself? Well, I hope that is the case.

Goku saying that Krillin is good at running away infuriates me. That's the kind of bullshit line I would have expected form Toei, given how they like playing up Krillin comically dogged attitude in some of the Z movies. Krillin is one of the bravest characters in the show. He didn't run away against General Blue, Nappa, Vegeta, Freeza's army, the Ginyu Force, Freeza, Cell or even Majin Boo. I mean, on some of those occasions, Goku was also there. Hell, when Goku arrives on Namek and reads Krillin's minds, he was able to see all the events that Krillin had experienced once he and Gohan had arrived on Namek. So where is the fuck is that kind of comment coming from? FUCK Goku for saying that.

I didn't like how Krillin and #18 refused to take part in the tournament because Goku lied about the tournament prize money in the anime and I didn't like seeing it again in the manga.

I do like that we got a glimpse of the events of ROF, and the circumstances of Freeza's death being provided from Freeza's POV were a really nice touch. And I loved that Freeza getting stronger was based on image training of him killing Goku and company thousands of times.

Freeza was drawn without a halo far too many times.

The Universe 7 portion of the chapter was very underwhelming and I feel the anime did a much better job of handling it. But I felt the Universe 6 Saiyans were better handled in some parts compared to how the anime handled them. The lack of any perspective from any of the universes is incredibly disappointing.
    To be sure, that was also in the anime and we even got images of Freeza mentally picturing murdering Goku.

I also wonder if Freeza is going to have a big role since the manga treated his inclusion like a wet fart, although the aftermath panel was hilarious. Gohan just getting back into shape off-scene is the worst, Imo, since Piccolo addressing his failings in the Buu Saga (which I have pointed out for years) was some of the best writing in Dragon Ball. That and Gohan shared the same weakness as his father of dropping his guard when he thinks he has won.
    The problem is when all this is no use in the tournament.

Piccolo told Gohan not to lower his guard like he did Boo, and not to underestimate the enemy, always using all his power.

But on EP 106 we saw that Gohan needed to be saved by Piccolo twice (which made the Namekuseijin lose several arms and expend energy), did not impose himself and Tenshinhan had to defeat the shooter (after all, Tenshinhan himself was eliminated by that ) and in the fight against Yardrat Jimizu, Gohan was almost eliminated twice for not using all his power.
    The first time was just Piccolo getting shot, he wasn't shielding Gohan.
    Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
    Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
    I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

dbzfan7
    Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:30 pm

So with the news I wonder if the Super Manga will also be ending at the same point, or continuing the story while the anime is done. Maybe the TOP is the last arc for now, or maybe it's just the last arc a Dragon Ball anime will cover. We'll see I guess.
    Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Black Hawk
    Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:35 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:So with the news I wonder if the Super Manga will also be ending at the same point, or continuing the story while the anime is done. Maybe the TOP is the last arc for now, or maybe it's just the last arc a Dragon Ball anime will cover. We'll see I guess.
    I have nothing to really base this on, but I feel like the manga will continue on and reach the point at which the anime ends, and, by the time the manga ends, it will be time for either the movie or a new series.
    "Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
    Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

micah007
    Not-So-Newbie

Post by micah007 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:47 pm

If the TOP ends in the manga this year, hopefully it will continue into new content that a new anime series can adapt. This would also be a good chance for the manga to truly stand on its own without any anime comparisons. However what I'm curious about is let's say the manga ends will Toyotaro simply be contracted to write the manga of the new series? Will he be replaced for a new manga series? Will we even get another manga series?

prince212
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:16 pm

Toyotaro will need at least 14 chapters to finish the T.O.P , so hopefully manga is not gonna be affected by this hiatus ( I hope ) and of course continue with new arcs ( please not movie re tell ) and be ahead of tv , like old db times and most of the series. Sad news anyways , I hope is for good
    It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Lord Beerus
    Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:40 pm

The manga will finish the Tournament Of Power. But I don't see the manga continuing after that, especially if Super is going to be rebranded.

mecha3000
    Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:16 pm

Kinda random, but it'd be kind of neat if Super ends up being seven volumes, for seven dragon balls. Don't know if this was ever the official plan or not, but now it seems a possibility.