"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Exline » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:40 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote: So far the manga does over what I hated the anime did with Goku. He is taking this as seriously as necessary in combat purely and only glancing at Jiren but still seeing everyone else as an immediate threat. That is how Goku was in the early movies and that is what makes sense in a royale. Goku just picking 1 character to fight over everyone else from day one, and him wanting to train a girl he literally just met at the tournament to show her how to beat him theoretically was just bad. Everyone should be your enemy in this arc.

What may not happen but something I wish I could appoint to consider are interactions with Freeza and the U6 Saiyans. Just to see him bully them seems like what you would expect from both contrasting characters, that they never met an evil like Freeza before who hates Saiyans. That would be reasonable tension to push Kale & Cabba into desperation to fight in ways we want to see them struggle. Not have Cabba just be the throw away so Kefla (Gotenks 2.0) can take over. I don't want this event.
I agree with your point about how Goku should be treating everyone as an enemy, but isn't that his character? I mean he gave Piccolo a senzu bean after his fight in the 23rd Tournament. Goku's always tried to get a good fight out of his opponent, look at Uub as another example. Insulting him to get him angrier and stronger.

Your idea for how the U6 Saiyans to be challenged by Frieza is a wonderful idea!! I loved that scene in 112 with Cabba being attacked by Frieza for being a Super Saiyan. However this scenario you painted seems quite interesting. This would be a great way for the U6 Saiyans to push themselves past their limits. Maybe they knock out Frieza without eliminating him. I don't want to see the U6 Saiyans get eliminated so easily by Frieza.

I still wanna see Kefla tho. You're right about them being Gotenks 2.0 and I hope they get a personality change. It felt Caulifla was more dominant in Kefla's personality. It gets stale when every fusion character is just another cocky fighter.
Bergamo wrote: I personally thought that the Goku and Caulifla fight in the anime was perfect as it is, but I can understand why someone wouldn't like it. It reminded me of the fights in Dragonball where Master Roshi would mentor his opponent while he was battling them.
The problem for me with that scene was that it kind of dragged. The pacing felt awkward for me. It only got really interesting when they started fighting and then Kale wanted to chime in as well. Seeing Berserker Kale is what made me enjoy most of the episode.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:23 pm

ToshioWrites wrote:Goku training an opponent in a tournament about survival is dumb as hell. Atleast in Vegeta case, the tournament didn’t risk their lives.

Goku helping hit but not helping Roshi twice in the anime

Goku letting Caulifla and kale escape in 101

Goku training Caulifla

These were both dumb as hell and Goku saving Roshi from frost gives me hope that Toyo will skip all that crap.
Goku gave Cell a senzu bean so that Cell would perform better in a tournament where if he won, the planet would be destroyed. That's insane and stupid, but that's also goku.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:35 pm

Bergamo wrote:
ToshioWrites wrote:Goku training an opponent in a tournament about survival is dumb as hell. Atleast in Vegeta case, the tournament didn’t risk their lives.

Goku training Caulifla

These were both dumb as hell and Goku saving Roshi from frost gives me hope that Toyo will skip all that crap.
Goku gave Cell a senzu bean so that Cell would perform better in a tournament where if he won, the planet would be destroyed. That's insane and stupid, but that's also goku.

That was him misreading his son and thinking he would bring out his latent power because he enjoys battle with a strong fighter.

Anyways you would think he would learn from previous mistakes, character development isn’t a bad thing

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:41 pm

Bergamo wrote:

Goku training Caulifla

He did that to boosts Cell's overconfidence so Cell can make Gohan angry
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:18 am

ToshioWrites wrote:
Bergamo wrote:

Goku training Caulifla

That was him misreading his son and thinking he would bring out his latent power because he enjoys battle with a strong fighter.

Anyways you would think he would learn from previous mistakes, character development isn’t a bad thing
He did afterwards, realizing he's been putting everyone in harms way.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:55 am

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:One of the things I am curious about is Belmont, while in the anime he just provides more of the voice for Jiren as ordering him to take out Goku and provide his back story, the manga makes it feel like he is plotting something. The have panels upclose to him smiling like he has an overall plan or things are going his way.
If you go back to the God battle royale and pay attention to the panels, you'll see that Vermoud is the only one who doesn't need his angel to heal him and was just feigning his injuries.

The manga has consistently differentiated him from the other gods, and has had him get a lot more scenes than in the anime. Whatever his role is in the tournament, it'll be substantial and not just as a narrator.
Last edited by TKA on Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:59 am

TKA wrote:
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:One of the things I am curious about is Belmont, while in the anime he just provides more of the voice for Jiren as ordering him to take out Goku and provide his back story, the manga makes it feel like he is plotting something. The have panels upclose to him smiling like he has an overall plan or things are going his way.
If you go back to the God battle royale and pay attention to the panels, you'll see that Vermoud is the only one who doesn't need his angel to heal him and was just feigning his injuries.

The manga has consistently differentiated him from the other gods, and has had him get a lot more scenes in the anime. Whatever his role is in the tournament, it'll be substantial and not just as a narrator.
Hopefully he tells us more about Jiren's wish. They seem to have put a lot more focus of that early on in the manga.

And if he was planning something, what could it be..? I have no ideas since whatever he is scheming may anger Zen-Oh and could result in his erasure right?

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:00 pm

TKA wrote:

The manga has consistently differentiated him from the other gods, and has had him get a lot more scenes in the anime. Whatever his role is in the tournament, it'll be substantial and not just as a narrator.
What could Belmond actually do apart from talk like in the anime?

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:16 pm

ToshioWrites wrote:I have a feeling Hit is gonna get absolutely humiliated by Jiren, he won't even trap Hit in the time cage imo.
Really? Cause I think Hit will defeat Jiren and Goku will have his desired rematch at the end.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:33 pm

I think Hit deserves a rematch with Goku. The fight with Hit was good, but I don't think Toyo thought out the end, and he made it look like goku could have beaten Hit just by powering up at the beginning of the fight. I don't think this completely devalues the fight in retrospect, but it should be remedied through Goku vs Hit part 2.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:37 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
ToshioWrites wrote:I have a feeling Hit is gonna get absolutely humiliated by Jiren, he won't even trap Hit in the time cage imo.
Really? Cause I think Hit will defeat Jiren and Goku will have his desired rematch at the end.
At least I would like hit to be the last u6 warrior standing, or some saiyans , not those namekians , if I remember correctly
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:47 pm

Bergamo wrote:I think Hit deserves a rematch with Goku. The fight with Hit was good, but I don't think Toyo thought out the end, and he made it look like goku could have beaten Hit just by powering up at the beginning of the fight. I don't think this completely devalues the fight in retrospect, but it should be remedied through Goku vs Hit part 2.
In chapter 33 right before the start of the tournament Goku told hit : “ i set that rematch for us “
So there’s possibilities to happen , I’m not a fan of that, but all depends about how well is written and the context

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:52 pm

prince212 wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
At least I would like hit to be the last u6 warrior standing, or some saiyans , not those namekians , if I remember correctly
If Saonel and Pirina have the same reason for their strength as the anime then they will almost certaintly be last again.

What's so wrong with Saonel amd Pirina being last from Universe 6?

Hit is getting destroyed quickly even though I don't want that. The manga is being rushed so Hit will be lucky to do anything against Jiren.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:22 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
prince212 wrote: At least I would like hit to be the last u6 warrior standing, or some saiyans , not those namekians , if I remember correctly
If Saonel and Pirina have the same reason for their strength as the anime then they will almost certaintly be last again.

Hit is getting destroyed quickly even though I don't want that. The manga is being rushed so Hit will be lucky to do anything against Jiren.
there’s nothing wrong with those namekians role , it’s just that I prefer a u6 “big fish” being the last one fighting for the survival , would be more dramatic I.m.o .
Hit rushed in the anime and didn’t play as a team , something better for him will be nice , I liked him but if they can make him different will be great , his actuation in the tournament was comparable to an scenario where Goku is knock out in his first battle with Jiren . But ei, just want little surprises , at the end I want it different just because I know what happened in the anime

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:37 pm

prince212 wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
prince212 wrote: At least I would like hit to be the last u6 warrior standing, or some saiyans , not those namekians , if I remember correctly

there’s nothing wrong with those namekians role , it’s just that I prefer a u6 “big fish” being the last one fighting for the survival , would be more dramatic I.m.o .
Hit rushed in the anime and didn’t play as a team , something better for him will be nice , I liked him but if they can make him different will be great , his actuation in the tournament was comparable to an scenario where Goku is knock out in his first battle with Jiren . But ei, just want little surprises , at the end I want it different just because I know what happened in the anime
Well, technically speaking, hit is even the biggest fish in U6, that goes to kefla as a ssj/ssj2.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:49 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:
prince212 wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:

Well, technically speaking, hit is even the biggest fish in U6, that goes to kefla as a ssj/ssj2.
Saonel and Pirina were sort of like just 1 last surprise. That is the same for the magical boys that happened at the same time.

Magical boys > Magical girls
Saonel and Pirina > Caulifla and Kale no Kefla obviously

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:06 pm

namekiansaiyan wrote:
Kenneth La Torre wrote:
prince212 wrote: there’s nothing wrong with those namekians role , it’s just that I prefer a u6 “big fish” being the last one fighting for the survival , would be more dramatic I.m.o .
Saonel and Pirina were sort of like just 1 last surprise. That is the same for the magical boys that happened at the same time.

The real question is when would be the ideal time for the u6 Namekians to be eliminated? I'm thinking before Kefla but not for awhile.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:20 pm

Bergamo wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
Kenneth La Torre wrote:

The real question is when would be the ideal time for the u6 Namekians to be eliminated? I'm thinking before Kefla but not for awhile.
I like the Namekians being the last. The only problem I have with them is that they shouod havr been shown in the anime getting stromger throughout the tournament instead of just 1 huge boost at the end.

It doesn't really matter what order they go out when we know Jiren could easily beat anyone and is the main event. Kefla comes out when Kale and Caulifla are about to lose and since she is strong and essentially rampages she would be a target and consequently sort of expected to go out before anyone else remaining on her team. Since kale and Caulifla haven't done anything in the tournament yet I expect them yo fight Goku very soon.

Kefla might even not happen in the manga but probably will.

I will guess it will go Hit - Cabba - Kale and Caulifla - Saonel and Pirina just like the anime.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:41 pm

I really hope that Cabbe does something relevant in the manga adaptation of the ToP. We know he won't fight with Monna, and I certainly hope he isn't embarrassed by Frieza as horribly as he was in the anime. I think if he unlocked Super Saiyan 2 before Caulifla that'd be great.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:55 pm

Bergamo wrote:I really hope that Cabbe does something relevant in the manga adaptation of the ToP. We know he won't fight with Monna, and I certainly hope he isn't embarrassed by Frieza as horribly as he was in the anime. I think if he unlocked Super Saiyan 2 before Caulifla that'd be great.
Frieza is almost definitely going to knockout Cabba.

I think Cabba might fight with Caulifla and Kale against the Pride Troopers that are not Jiren, Dyspo and Toppo. He might fight some Universe 4 like Ganos as well as I think Roshi might face Universe 10 as Roshi and universe 10 are probably getting knocked out very soon.
Last edited by namekiansaiyan on Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.