"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by LightBing » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:11 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:To be fair, this chapter probably won't be very good, Not unless Toyotaro stretches this arc out to February, which would be bizarre.
I predicted that he would a month or two ago and I'm sticking with it. That is because this arc the manga has a consistent pace and if Toyotarõ needed to speed up anything in preparation to the next arc, we would have noticed it a chapter or two ago.

I believe this is the first arc the anime and manga are in sync. The manga was finally given a fixed number of pages and Toyotarõ can plan his work with security. This jumps the eye when compared to the two previous arcs.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:34 pm

It's not ending early. Toyo is already ahead of the anime. He has no need to rush his manga because he never said the manga would jump ahead of the anime. He just said he himself would.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:39 pm

OLKv3 wrote:It's not ending early. Toyo is already ahead of the anime. He has no need to rush his manga because he never said the manga would jump ahead of the anime. He just said he himself would.
That's pretty good distinguishing! Makes soooo much more sense now given the PV.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:43 pm

OLKv3 wrote:It's not ending early. Toyo is already ahead of the anime. He has no need to rush his manga because he never said the manga would jump ahead of the anime. He just said he himself would.
That's kind of a superficial bullshit distinction. Why bother telling us he'll be ahead if we won't see the fruits? They wouldn't, he was either talking about the manga, or his statements were useless. Moreover, if he doesn't hurry up with the actual manga, he will get further and further behind, and that obviously isn't in the best financial interests of anyone.
Retired.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:59 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
That's kind of a superficial bullshit distinction. Why bother telling us he'll be ahead if we won't see the fruits? They wouldn't, he was either talking about the manga, or his statements were useless. Moreover, if he doesn't hurry up with the actual manga, he will get further and further behind, and that obviously isn't in the best financial interests of anyone.
No it isn't. He was answering a question on how involved he is with the anime team. He said they send him information, but soon he'll be ahead of them and be the one sending information and helping with the show. Next thing you know, the upcoming arc preview uses nothing but unpolished Toyo scans of the new arc, and starts in February. Meanwhile, the manga has been keeping the normal pace that it kept the entire arc, nowhere near finishing. There's literally no way for the manga to be ahead of the anime unless he just skips ahead to the middle of the new arc like he did with the U6 tournament, and that's obviously not happening.
People ignored the context of the interview and just took "I'll be ahead" as "omg the manga will surpass the anime and the anime is gonna adapt the manga now!!!"

There's no financial loss of being behind the anime. The manga has been behind the anime for a long while now. The 2nd volume sold much more than the first volume of the manga, despite being old material. People don't care because there's enough differences to make it feel new.

Dai-Saiyajin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai-Saiyajin » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:59 pm

Is there any chance of releasing 2 chapters in this month?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:01 pm

Dai-Saiyajin wrote:Is there any chance of releasing 2 chapters in this month?
V-Jump is only released once a month, so no, and there never will be.
Retired.

Dai-Saiyajin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai-Saiyajin » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:02 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Never is a strong word, it will be better that for the next 3 months we get 2 chapters /month

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:05 pm

Dai-Saiyajin wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Never is a strong word, it will be better that for the next 3 months we get 2 chapters /month
40 pages is pretty much 2 chapters.

Dai-Saiyajin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai-Saiyajin » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:06 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
Dai-Saiyajin wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: V-Jump is only released once a month, so no, and there never will be.
40 pages is pretty much 2 chapters.
But 1 chapter have 39 pages, so, 2x39 = 78 pages

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:15 pm

OLKv3 wrote:No it isn't. He was answering a question on how involved he is with the anime team. He said they send him information, but soon he'll be ahead of them and be the one sending information and helping with the show.
Which makes absolutely no sense unless his manga, a manga with the sole purpose of promoting the anime, is ahead. Toyotaro isn't some authority, he's a nobody who's job is to crank out promotional material. He's the equivalent of someone who can mimic a dead singer's voice, a gimmick. Like him or not, that's who he is. I don't mean to sound harsh, but that's literally always been the extent of his role, they wouldn't put him ahead unless he was putting out something substantive first.
OLKv3 wrote:The 2nd volume sold much more than the first volume of the manga, despite being old material. People don't care because there's enough differences to make it feel new.
Speak for yourself. The 2nd volume sold more because Toyotaro's retelling of BoG (about half of volume 1) was poorly crafted in almost every conceivable aspect. On top of that, the tournament (Botamo and half of Frost) was just a narratively rushed version of what we later got from the anime. As much as I enjoy this manga, it was just awful for a good portion of that first year. Likewise, even though I like Toyotaro's version of this arc, it's stale. We already know what's going to happen, more or less, so why even bother? Even if your interpretation is right, that kills any momentum that the manga has left, and I'm hardly the only one with this sentiment.
OLKv3 wrote:40 pages is pretty much 2 chapters.
It's about what we should expect from a monthly product. Toyotaro was doing an oddly small number of pages when he started. I did the math once, and each of the newer chapters of Toyotaro's manga is equivalent to almost 3 Toriyama chapters.
Retired.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:57 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Since the anime will be more influenced by the manga now, they will probably be more similar than they currently are.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:33 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:No it isn't. He was answering a question on how involved he is with the anime team. He said they send him information, but soon he'll be ahead of them and be the one sending information and helping with the show.
Which makes absolutely no sense unless his manga, a manga with the sole purpose of promoting the anime, is ahead. Toyotaro isn't some authority, he's a nobody who's job is to crank out promotional material. He's the equivalent of someone who can mimic a dead singer's voice, a gimmick. Like him or not, that's who he is. I don't mean to sound harsh, but that's literally always been the extent of his role, they wouldn't put him ahead unless he was putting out something substantive first.
OLKv3 wrote:The 2nd volume sold much more than the first volume of the manga, despite being old material. People don't care because there's enough differences to make it feel new.
Speak for yourself. The 2nd volume sold more because Toyotaro's retelling of BoG (about half of volume 1) was poorly crafted in almost every conceivable aspect. On top of that, the tournament (Botamo and half of Frost) was just a narratively rushed version of what we later got from the anime. As much as I enjoy this manga, it was just awful for a good portion of that first year. Likewise, even though I like Toyotaro's version of this arc, it's stale. We already know what's going to happen, more or less, so why even bother? Even if your interpretation is right, that kills any momentum that the manga has left, and I'm hardly the only one with this sentiment.
OLKv3 wrote:40 pages is pretty much 2 chapters.
It's about what we should expect from a monthly product. Toyotaro was doing an oddly small number of pages when he started. I did the math once, and each of the newer chapters of Toyotaro's manga is equivalent to almost 3 Toriyama chapters.
I don't think Goku vs botamo and goku vs frost is rushed but the bog part is a hella rushed to the point is ridiculous I don't want to sound rude but what was point of the 4 bog chapter
Mostly active on discord.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:41 pm

^The BoG arc was when he was still making chapters normal sized DB chapters, so they were extremely small and condensed to summaries. It was pretty bad.
And yes, I disagree with him as well. Goku vs Botamo and Goku vs Frost were not rushed at all, and were longer than their anime counterparts.

Piccolo vs Frost was the one that suffered in the manga. Just awful
Last edited by OLKv3 on Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:44 pm

OLKv3 wrote:^The BoG arc was when he was still making chapters normal sized DB chapters, so they were extremely small and condensed to summaries. It was pretty bad.
That explain everything I would have preferred if chapter 3 had 30 or 40 pages because it didn't even show how beerus got angry and Gohan got what 2 panels despite being shown in a poster

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:13 pm

I also believe Black arc will last 2 more chapters and Toyotaro himself has already prepared more chapters for the following months and he's sending them + rough storyboards to the anime staff.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:51 pm

The manga version of this arc especially the latter half has been pretty weak so far. If it's only one more chapter then it'll be disappointing.

I can see a lot of stuff being cut out. Mainly with the fighting. Goku and Vegeta travelled was it three times to the future in the anime? It'll probably just be the one here and we likely won't see Trunks get a new form either.

I don't like how it's been going in general lately. It's too different from the anime now.

With the Universe 6 saga the anime and manga had differences that made reading the manga worthwhile but at the same time they were similar enough that you could tell what was by Toriyama.

With this saga they've been that different that you just don't have any idea what came from Toriyama and what didn't now.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:45 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
Piccolo vs Frost was the one that suffered in the manga. Just awful
I kinda like piccolo vs frost in the manga I loved the fact he used the weighting clothes and he has badass line and he had a cool strategy but the only problem it was way too short it only lasted 6 pages if only this lasted for 12 pages then I would like it
Last edited by The gr on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:49 pm

I'm curious how toyotaro is going to handle the ending of the FT arc
Last edited by The gr on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:49 pm

Bullza wrote:...we likely won't see Trunks get a new form either.
The "Trunks gets new transformation" plotpoint was already fulfilled in the Future Boo Arc flashback, in which he (presumably) achieves his mastered SS2 form after the death of Future Kibito.
Retired.