"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TKA
Advanced Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by TKA » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:52 pm

JulieYBM wrote:I hope this means the Broli arc will be recreated in the next series.
This is something I've seen in a few other places and I just don't understand it. Why do you want them to retell the movie when they did such an atrocious job of it with Battle of Gods and Resurrection F? The only thing "retelling" means in this context is "Padding, filler, and worse animation". I'm genuinely curious why anyone would want this.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:56 pm

PFM18 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Dang, so it does take place after the Broli arc. At the very least, I hope this means the Broli arc will be recreated in the next series. I'm also hoping looking forward to seeing how this arc pans out since it'll come out before any animated adaption.
This could mean that the manga would be WAY ahead of the anime if they do a retelling, and I don't know if that is something that Toei wants.
Draconic wrote: If it's Toyotaro's own little thing I might check out the manga again, just to give him one more chance and see if with some more freedom he can finally put out something worthwhile.
I wouldn't get your hopes up. I'm going to keep my expectations extremely low for anything that Toyotaro puts together whether it be assisted by Toriyama or otherwise.
Why would toei care if toyo is ahead or not? it'll just make it easier for them to make actual good episodes.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:57 pm

Pls let there be a Xeno Time Patrol crossover, cameo, or reference. Even in passing.

One thing I'm extremely glad about. It seems Goku is keeping his kanji-less gi, which I much rather prefer. It's also in the spirit of transitioning towards his EoZ gi with no undershirt.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:00 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:I'm just glad its not a Sadala arc. I really hope that arc is something Toriyama changed his mind on from back in 2016.
I doubt he changed his mind since Vegeta talked about going to Sadala in the TOP in both the anime and manga.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:01 pm

Doctor. wrote:
PFM18 wrote:This could mean that the manga would be WAY ahead of the anime if they do a retelling, and I don't know if that is something that Toei wants.
It wouldn't be the first time.
I mean, yeah it would.

Before, the manga skipped the RoF arc as they were going at the same time. In this case, the anime coming back hasn't even been announced yet and Toyotaro is already getting started on Post-Broly stuff, so in terms of the Anime's progression compared to the manga if they are doing a retelling, the absolute best they could do would be getting started on the Broly arc when Toyotaro is already well into the next arc following it.

ShaggyBlanco
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaggyBlanco » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:01 pm

TKA wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:I hope this means the Broli arc will be recreated in the next series.
This is something I've seen in a few other places and I just don't understand it. Why do you want them to retell the movie when they did such an atrocious job of it with Battle of Gods and Resurrection F? The only thing "retelling" means in this context is "Padding, filler, and worse animation". I'm genuinely curious why anyone would want this.
Because if they want to continue Super from where we left they should at least give a reason as to why SSBKK and SSBE aren't being used if Broly is at least as strong as Jiren

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:02 pm

PFM18 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Dang, so it does take place after the Broli arc. At the very least, I hope this means the Broli arc will be recreated in the next series. I'm also hoping looking forward to seeing how this arc pans out since it'll come out before any animated adaption.
This could mean that the manga would be WAY ahead of the anime if they do a retelling, and I don't know if that is something that Toei wants.
Draconic wrote: If it's Toyotaro's own little thing I might check out the manga again, just to give him one more chance and see if with some more freedom he can finally put out something worthwhile.
I wouldn't get your hopes up. I'm going to keep my expectations extremely low for anything that Toyotaro puts together whether it be assisted by Toriyama or otherwise.
The manga was ahead of the anime when Super started and it caught up in a few months. So I don't think the anime staff cares.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:02 pm

So the premise of the new arc is a convict and Dai Kaioshin is making an appearance somehow and for some reason? I can't think of what significance the latter would have when he's supposed to have been deceased for millions of years. Any information they can obtain would be better off received from Zuno. Also, a convict? Unless this arc is aiming to have Jaco take a more integral role as a detective then I can't see why Goku and Vegeta would need to get involved. Is this criminal powerful? I guess the odds of this criminal shattering the impression of Freeza's old calibre being insurmountable for everyone except a select from Earth, and Broly, are quite odd.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:09 pm

HeroR wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
The manga was ahead of the anime when Super started and it caught up in a few months. So I don't think the anime staff cares.
But not to the same extent. Not even close. And they saw first hand how much more hype/attention the anime got when it was the one that was ahead and giving new information.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:12 pm

TKA wrote:
My thoughts exactly. Who actually wants retellings?

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:18 pm

Draconic wrote:
Kinokima wrote:Where are people getting Dragon Ball Heroes from this? There is nothing about Dragon Ball Heroes mentioned.

The Galactic Patrol is the organization Jaco is part of and the prisoner can be anyone.

The real mystery is that is the Kai, Buu absorbed. I am intreresting to see how he is involved. Unless it is just a flashback explaining how he was involved with the so named prisoner.
Check the post above yours. The new Heroes game will introduce a new Galactic Patrol guy.

In this case Heroes already takes things from the anime and uses it so this is nothing out of the ordinary.

I don’t think this is Heroes bleeding into the manga if that is what ppl think. Heroes already has its own manga.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:24 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
TKA wrote:
My thoughts exactly. Who actually wants retellings?
Could be a good idea if we are in the same case scenerio as Boruto which the anime didn't catch up yet with the manga. Giving room for Toyotaro to advance the story leaving Toei the opportunity to release the retelling of the Broly movie which was supposed to be worked on a 3hours script.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:26 pm

PFM18 wrote: But not to the same extent. Not even close. And they saw first hand how much more hype/attention the anime got when it was the one that was ahead and giving new information.
It was still well ahead for months, but the anime caught up because the manga is monthly. And 'hype' is mostly online fans. Japan really doesn't care about stuff like that.
Kanassa wrote:

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:30 pm

HeroR wrote:
RecolorSaiyan wrote:I'm just glad its not a Sadala arc. I really hope that arc is something Toriyama changed his mind on from back in 2016.
I doubt he changed his mind since Vegeta talked about going to Sadala in the TOP in both the anime and manga.
In the manga he only mentioned it during the u6 arc which came out in 2016. He didn’t mention it in the ToP version of manga so I’m hoping he’s changed his mind

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:43 pm

HeroR wrote:
PFM18 wrote: But not to the same extent. Not even close. And they saw first hand how much more hype/attention the anime got when it was the one that was ahead and giving new information.
It was still well ahead for months, but the anime caught up because the manga is monthly. And 'hype' is mostly online fans. Japan really doesn't care about stuff like that.
If Toei starts their current arc after Toyotaro is well into the following arc, that'll be way further behind than it has ever been.

"Hype" as in how much attention the anime actually attracts. They sure as hell care about that. Not a clue how you could argue otherwise. It gets more attention if it is brand new material rather than something we already saw in another medium.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:46 pm

Didn't Toriyama say there was going to be stuff in the manga that's different to the anime? He could have referred to the traditional differences between Super manga and anime, or may he referred to a piece of the story that's manga exclusive? If Super continues or there would be a new movie next year, the manga might cover exclusive stories in between to fill in the gaps.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:47 pm

PFM18 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
If Toei starts their current arc after Toyotaro is well into the following arc, that'll be way further behind than it has ever been.

"Hype" as in how much attention the anime actually attracts. They sure as hell care about that. Not a clue how you could argue otherwise. It gets more attention if it is brand new material rather than something we already saw in another medium.
Not really because the anime is weekly and the manga is monthly. If the anime is announced at Jump Fest for the Spring or even Summer it would take no time at all for anime to catch up.

And having an original story is win win because now we have something new to look forward to instead of the same story told in a different way.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:49 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
PFM18 wrote:This could mean that the manga would be WAY ahead of the anime if they do a retelling, and I don't know if that is something that Toei wants.
It wouldn't be the first time.
I mean, yeah it would.

Before, the manga skipped the RoF arc as they were going at the same time. In this case, the anime coming back hasn't even been announced yet and Toyotaro is already getting started on Post-Broly stuff, so in terms of the Anime's progression compared to the manga if they are doing a retelling, the absolute best they could do would be getting started on the Broly arc when Toyotaro is already well into the next arc following it.
It wouldn't. The Super anime was in the BoG arc when the manga started the Champa arc.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:54 pm

Kinokima wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
HeroR wrote:

Not really because the anime is weekly and the manga is monthly. If the anime is announced at Jump Fest for the Spring or even Summer it would take no time at all for anime to catch up.

And having an original story is win win because now we have something new to look forward to instead of the same story told in a different way.

Yes, but if the anime restarts only in October with a retelling of Broly or the first anime we get to see is a next movie in fall or winter, the manga could very well use some extra content to catch up.
The manga could get some extra attention with that as 'sideproduct'. As slowly things can go in the manga, and it's monthly, it may not be needed. It remains to be seen.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:59 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:
Kinokima wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

Yes, but if the anime restarts only in October with a retelling of Broly or the first anime we get to see is a next movie in fall or winter, the manga could very well use some extra content to catch up.
The manga could get some extra attention with that as 'sideproduct'. As slowly things can go in the manga, and it's monthly, it may not be needed. It remains to be seen.

Even if the anime restarts in October the anime will absolutely eventually overtake the manga. Is it really that big of a deal that the manga might be ahead at first? That is how it usually works with manga.

We don’t even know if the anime will even adapt this arc or do a Broly Retelling. Everything is an assumption right now.

I think it’s cool we are getting an actual new story instead of just something told in a different way.