"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:04 pm

Kinokima wrote:
Draconic wrote:
Kinokima wrote:Where are people getting Dragon Ball Heroes from this? There is nothing about Dragon Ball Heroes mentioned.

The Galactic Patrol is the organization Jaco is part of and the prisoner can be anyone.

The real mystery is that is the Kai, Buu absorbed. I am intreresting to see how he is involved. Unless it is just a flashback explaining how he was involved with the so named prisoner.
Check the post above yours. The new Heroes game will introduce a new Galactic Patrol guy.

In this case Heroes already takes things from the anime and uses it so this is nothing out of the ordinary.

I don’t think this is Heroes bleeding into the manga if that is what ppl think. Heroes already has its own manga.
Well, when it was announced that the enemy of the new DBS movie was a Saiyan, many people also thought it was DB Heroes 'Mysterious Saiyan', Cumber, but that did not happen either.

So I doubt that this new saga has anything to do with this character we saw in DBH

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:11 pm

Doctor. wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
It wouldn't be the first time.
I mean, yeah it would.

Before, the manga skipped the RoF arc as they were going at the same time. In this case, the anime coming back hasn't even been announced yet and Toyotaro is already getting started on Post-Broly stuff, so in terms of the Anime's progression compared to the manga if they are doing a retelling, the absolute best they could do would be getting started on the Broly arc when Toyotaro is already well into the next arc following it.
It wouldn't. The Super anime was in the BoG arc when the manga started the Champa arc.
are you sure? I didn't think that was the case. I'm almost positive they were in the RoF arc in the anime when they started the Champa arc in the manga.

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:13 pm

PFM18 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Oof, I hope this means the comic doesn't skip over the Broli arc like it did the Golden Freeza arc. Maybe this one will take place before the Broli arc?
I think that's what the implications of this are. Toyotaro will probably skip over the Broly story and maybe briefly summarize it at some point or something along those lines. (Similar to what he did with RoF) I don't know how else he could have something post-Broly this soon.

I really don't like what this means for the anime. If the manga is going ahead and going past Broly, the anime would be really far behind if they were to do a Broly retelling. I doubt they would want to be that far behind so I would imagine they wouldn't do a retelling but I really want one!
I don't see why they'd find it to be a problem for the anime to be behind, they had no problem when it did happen anyways... And if it was such a problem they could always speed up the pacing.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:19 pm

Lukmendes wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Oof, I hope this means the comic doesn't skip over the Broli arc like it did the Golden Freeza arc. Maybe this one will take place before the Broli arc?
I think that's what the implications of this are. Toyotaro will probably skip over the Broly story and maybe briefly summarize it at some point or something along those lines. (Similar to what he did with RoF) I don't know how else he could have something post-Broly this soon.

I really don't like what this means for the anime. If the manga is going ahead and going past Broly, the anime would be really far behind if they were to do a Broly retelling. I doubt they would want to be that far behind so I would imagine they wouldn't do a retelling but I really want one!
I don't see why they'd find it to be a problem for the anime to be behind, they had no problem when it did happen anyways... And if it was such a problem they could always speed up the pacing.
I doubt it's a problem, the only one who's bringing this up as one is PFM18 who's worried toei may not re-tell the broly arc because of what toyotaro's manga is doing. There's no evidence that toei concerns itself with what toyotaro does unless for borrowing some ideas, and likewise with toyotaro.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:23 pm

On the subject of the new arc. Toriyama must be reading my mind because one idea for are arc I thought about resently was for a group of escaped super villains. Not like the prison planet but a real maximum security break out of the worst criminals. However my version was for a group of guys from another universe.

Well color me very intreasted.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:25 pm

So much for that whole "they're rushing the ToP because of Broly" defense, huh? This is why we don't make excuses for poor work.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:29 pm

How many chapters do you think the manga will get ahead of the anime?

A} if they don't adapt Broly?
B} if they do adapt Broly first?
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:32 pm

PFM18 wrote:
If Toei starts their current arc after Toyotaro is well into the following arc, that'll be way further behind than it has ever been.

"Hype" as in how much attention the anime actually attracts. They sure as hell care about that. Not a clue how you could argue otherwise. It gets more attention if it is brand new material rather than something we already saw in another medium.
Attention, but it doesn't determine everything. And it wouldn't take the anime long to catch up either way since the anime airs several times in a month to the manga's once a month. Even when the anime went into 'filler' for months, the manga couldn't catchup.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:33 pm

TobyS wrote:How many chapters do you think the manga will get ahead of the anime?

On december toryotaro will cover the broly arc like he did with resurrection of F. It will be a promotional manga to introduce the movie

https://twitter.com/DBSChronicles/statu ... omozionale

Apparently, from this month we'll get the new arc.
Last edited by Gt91 on Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:36 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Doctor. wrote: It wouldn't. The Super anime was in the BoG arc when the manga started the Champa arc.
are you sure? I didn't think that was the case. I'm almost positive they were in the RoF arc in the anime when they started the Champa arc in the manga.
The manga's 5th chapter(the one that kicks off the Champa Arc) was released 3 days after episode 15, which was post BoG and pre RoF.
So it's close, but not quite for Doctor.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:36 pm

Shaddy wrote:So much for that whole "they're rushing the ToP because of Broly" defense, huh? This is why we don't make excuses for poor work.
If the TOP had been as long as the anime it could have gone on for over a year. If anyone wants to see the exact same story with minor changes for that long I just don’t understand why.

Personally I think they should have skipped the TOP arc all together in the manga but making it as short as possible was the next best thing they could have done.

Again we are comparing a weekly anime with a monthly manga. The anime just had more time and a lot of what we got in the anime could have been cut in my opinion.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:38 pm

Kinokima wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:
Kinokima wrote:
Not really because the anime is weekly and the manga is monthly. If the anime is announced at Jump Fest for the Spring or even Summer it would take no time at all for anime to catch up.

And having an original story is win win because now we have something new to look forward to instead of the same story told in a different way.

Yes, but if the anime restarts only in October with a retelling of Broly or the first anime we get to see is a next movie in fall or winter, the manga could very well use some extra content to catch up.
The manga could get some extra attention with that as 'sideproduct'. As slowly things can go in the manga, and it's monthly, it may not be needed. It remains to be seen.

Even if the anime restarts in October the anime will absolutely eventually overtake the manga. Is it really that big of a deal that the manga might be ahead at first? That is how it usually works with manga.

We don’t even know if the anime will even adapt this arc or do a Broly Retelling. Everything is an assumption right now.

I think it’s cool we are getting an actual new story instead of just something told in a different way.

The anime could catch up fairly quickly, true, i was just wondering what Toriyama meant with 'there will be some more differences between anime and manga ...'
If there is a big gap between Broly and when the anime starts again, there might be a possibility to do a manga exclusive story.
I wouldn't mind some manga exclusive stuff. I meant it to be rather neutral.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:45 pm

Son-Kakaroto wrote:
Lukmendes wrote:
PFM18 wrote:

I doubt it's a problem, the only one who's bringing this up as one is PFM18 who's worried toei may not re-tell the broly arc because of what toyotaro's manga is doing. There's no evidence that toei concerns itself with what toyotaro does unless for borrowing some ideas, and likewise with toyotaro.
Maybe I'm just being dramatic. I just really want that retelling lol

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:50 pm

Kinokima wrote:
If the TOP had been as long as the anime it could have gone on for over a year. If anyone wants to see the exact same story with minor changes for that long I just don’t understand why.

Personally I think they should have skipped the TOP arc all together in the manga but making it as short as possible was the next best thing they could have done.

Again we are comparing a weekly anime with a monthly manga. The anime just had more time and a lot of what we got in the anime could have been cut in my opinion.
My point is that the manga ToP was bad. People were defending it saying it wasn't Toyo's fault and he was just being rushed to get to Broly. I never bought into that since you totally COULD have made a good story in that amount of time, and as we can see now, Toyo doesn't seem to have been rushed in the slightest. Meaning the reason Toyo's manga has been bad recently is because he made it that way. That's all I'm saying.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:58 pm

Shaddy wrote:
Kinokima wrote:

My point is that the manga ToP was bad. People were defending it saying it wasn't Toyo's fault and he was just being rushed to get to Broly. I never bought into that since you totally COULD have made a good story in that amount of time, and as we can see now, Toyo doesn't seem to have been rushed in the slightest. Meaning the reason Toyo's manga has been bad recently is because he made it that way. That's all I'm saying.
People were also criticizing the manga saying that it was too rushed for the Broly movie.

Evidently, these people were wrong. And I'm glad to know that the TOP arc (seemingly) hadn't been rushed by external forces, because there were only a few missteps in pacing anyway (Gohan v Kafla being the major one, the time it took to eliminate the other universes is another).
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:00 pm

Gt91 wrote:
TobyS wrote:How many chapters do you think the manga will get ahead of the anime?

On december toryotaro will cover the broly arc like he did with resurrection of F. It will be a promotional manga to introduce the movie

https://twitter.com/DBSChronicles/statu ... omozionale

Apparently, from this month we'll get the new arc.

Let's at least hope it has a better ending this time than leaving us in the mids of a battle. :)
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:06 pm

PFM18 wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:Dang, so it does take place after the Broli arc. At the very least, I hope this means the Broli arc will be recreated in the next series. I'm also hoping looking forward to seeing how this arc pans out since it'll come out before any animated adaption.
This could mean that the manga would be WAY ahead of the anime if they do a retelling, and I don't know if that is something that Toei wants.
Draconic wrote: If it's Toyotaro's own little thing I might check out the manga again, just to give him one more chance and see if with some more freedom he can finally put out something worthwhile.
I wouldn't get your hopes up. I'm going to keep my expectations extremely low for anything that Toyotaro puts together whether it be assisted by Toriyama or otherwise.
Toei Animation could always easily catch up. Retelling the Broli movie would only have to be a maximum of nine movies if they use the other eighty minutes worth of scenes not animated from Mikami Masato, Karasawa Kazuya and Nagamine Tatsuya's storyboard. With the comic being only 45 pages months (and a single episode typically best covering sixty pages) it would easily be possible to catch up and be ahead of the comic.
TKA wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:I hope this means the Broli arc will be recreated in the next series.
This is something I've seen in a few other places and I just don't understand it. Why do you want them to retell the movie when they did such an atrocious job of it with Battle of Gods and Resurrection F? The only thing "retelling" means in this context is "Padding, filler, and worse animation". I'm genuinely curious why anyone would want this.
The adaptions were poorly scheduled and had no animators available to them. Ideally, adapting this arc into the series would not be poorly scheduled. We also have about eighty minutes of unused storyboard that could very well flesh out Chirai, Lemo and Broli even more than the solid performance of the movie so far. If possible Toei Animation can get the rights to re-purpose the animation from the film and they'd already have five finished episodes worth of content right off the bat. I don't understand why you'd think I would imply I want a repeat of the adaptions from Dragon Ball Super. I want better than that. Hell, I'd even expect them to pull off a Boruto: Naruto Next Generations Episode #65 and completely redo the final battle with more good animation than the film if possible.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:09 pm

Shaddy wrote:
Kinokima wrote:

At the same time I don’t think you do understand how manga works. The editor usually gives the manga-ka a set number of pages and chapters for an arc.

So regardless of whether Broly in the manga was a thing Toyo would have been told ahead of time how many pages/chapters he had to work with. Sometimes manga-ka will even say I had extra pages in this volume to work with so I am including this bonus chapter.

I can assure you Toyo was definitely under timing constraints and did not decide on his own how long or short the TOP arc would be. And since Dragon Ball is such a huge franchise he probably has less control than even a manga-ka doing an original work.

At the very least I am looking forward to seeing something
Original from him where his story doesn’t have to be compared to the anime.

Note: This has nothing whatsoever to do with the quality of the manga just Toyotaro wasn’t speeding through the TOP by his own design.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:32 pm

Just had a bad idea, what if this Prisoner arc is a remake of Bojack Unbound!

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:45 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:Just had a bad idea, what if this Prisoner arc is a remake of Bojack Unbound!
Oh Good lord I wouldn't say no because everything is possible now with Broly :crazy: :lol:
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu