"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Omniboy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:11 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Omniboy wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: Since when has it ever implied that Gohan can't become a SSJ despite having his Ultimate form? Hell, he transformed into a SSJ, despite using his Ultimate Form to fight Beerus, during the Super Saiyan God ritual in the Battle Of Gods movie and the Super anime/manga retelling. So he can still power up into that form, but he just doesn't.
Actually he doesn't go super saiyan in the manga.When we first see him he was being tossed around by Beerus in his Ultimate form
Gohan is a Super Saiyan in the ritual in the manga:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I misread you comment. I thought were talking about his fight with Beerus.

But that begs the question. Wasn't said by the elder koi that going super saiyan would do nothing for him?

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:15 pm

Omniboy wrote: But that begs the question. Wasn't said by the elder koi that going super saiyan would do nothing for him?
The Elder Kaioushin acts like transformations are not the solution to everything but fans treat it like he couldn't even do it. Because Gohan "did what he did when he goes Super Saiyajin" to go Ultimate. So the rest is their speculation.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

picc
Beyond Newbie

Post by picc » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:21 pm

JazzMazz wrote: For me, it seemed that either Hyssop or Comfrey were the strongest members of universe 9, with Hyssop being shown to be formidable physical fight with him overpowering Piccolo, and being the only warrior from universe 9 to land an sort of counter-attack on Frost.

Comfrey for me definitely did the best powerwise of the group, with him managing to overpower a full strength Frost in a physcial contest for a moment, something that Hyssop tried and failed to do.
Yeah I think you're actually right about Comfrey. Hyssop never overpowered Piccolo, however. He failed to land a single punch on him.

re: tien/roshi vs Frost

It was obvious Frost was joking around with them when they were blocking his punches. Nothing impressive about it at all. He was just being a dick.

re: Dr. Rota

I think its hilarious that the point of the character is still working to troll people. Everyone wants desperately to know why they call him Dr. Rota, and the whole gag is that we will never find out. Genius.

re: Freeza's plan

Freeza probably figured that any fighter the humans could eliminate wasn't worth worrying about anyway. And lets be honest, he's right. There is a good point about them simply presenting numbers that could help them in the end, but he also probably figured they'd be fodderized at some point anyway. And he's right about that as well.

Of course, none of these are rational reasons to eliminate members from your own team. But Freeza is an asshole, and assholes do asshole things.

re: Universe 9 eliminated

Am I the only one who hated Universe 9 in the anime? Obuni was the only one I felt sorry for. Everyone else was either a cocky jerk (trio de dangers) or a stranger whose sole role was being an antagonist to U7. I gave zero ****s about their erasure in both mediums.
Planet Namek Bred

TheDipDap1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDipDap1234 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:28 pm

picc wrote: Am I the only one who hated Universe 9 in the anime? Obuni was the only one I felt sorry for. Everyone else was either a cocky jerk (trio de dangers) or a stranger whose sole role was being an antagonist to U7. I gave zero ****s about their erasure in both mediums.
Obuni was from Universe 10, not from Universe 9.
Gowasu's number 1 fan.

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Post by Omniboy » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:30 pm

Cetra wrote:
Omniboy wrote: But that begs the question. Wasn't said by the elder koi that going super saiyan would do nothing for him?
The Elder Kaioushin acts like transformations are not the solution to everything but fans treat it like he couldn't even do it. Because Gohan "did what he did when he goes Super Saiyajin" to go Ultimate. So the rest is their speculation.

So if he could go super saiyan... why didn't he do it when he fought against Buu when he struggled. Which is where I also got the idea that super saiyan couldn't help him . If what you and lord Beerus are saying is true then means he could have gone Super Saiyan all along and have a better chance of beating Buu.
Last edited by Omniboy on Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:43 pm

A decent chapter with some annoying decision.
    Extremely dissapointed that Krillin got one shotted like that,at the very least I expected him to be a team player, saving his pals sadly that isn't the case.Tien did slightly better than Krillin sadly he also get one shotted like nothing, they are two side of this, on one hand it increases the tension for U7 and the other hand,it makes them pointless to the narrative,they could have been replaced by everyone.Also Frieza gain nothing from this other than being an idiot, another reason to be annoyed at this decision.
      The action was the highlight of this chapter as well Frost, seriously the transition are brilliant as well the battle being short and sweet,my favorite scuffle was Frost vs Comfrey but I have a problem with the action,is moreso to do the narrative,I would have prefer a climatic finish for Gohan and Piccolo vs Trio instead of Freeza cheap shotting the 3 wolves.
        I did feel a little pity for U9 here, just when Bergamo was begging for Mercy but I would have prefer to see Gohan instead of Piccolo.It was a fun chapter with frustrating decision.
        Mostly active on discord.

picc
        Beyond Newbie

Post by picc » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:43 pm

TheDipDap1234 wrote:
        picc wrote: Am I the only one who hated Universe 9 in the anime? Obuni was the only one I felt sorry for. Everyone else was either a cocky jerk (trio de dangers) or a stranger whose sole role was being an antagonist to U7. I gave zero ****s about their erasure in both mediums.
        Even better. Screw U9.
        Planet Namek Bred

The gr
        I Live Here

Post by The gr » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:53 pm

picc wrote:
        TheDipDap1234 wrote:
        Even better. Screw U9.
        Yeah they were jerks but it make sense since their Universe is trash in both medium,I just don't want the manga to potrayed everyone like that.It is Sad that Hop saved a teammate whereas the earthlings couldn't even do that.
          Thanks god the manga isn't shoe horning Goku,we don't need to see him in his base Fighting weaklings when we know he could trash them in his SS1,Gohan kinda suffer this issue in the manga but it less offensive compared to the anime takes on thing.
          Mostly active on discord.

Rhuagh
          Not-So-Newbie

Post by Rhuagh » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:09 pm

Hasn't Gohan been in Ultimate form since he first appeared in this arc? The eye shape indicates that. I just supposed he was in a supressed state to conserve energy, as that actually matters in the manga.

Vegeta_Sama
          Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:19 pm

Rhuagh wrote:Hasn't Gohan been in Ultimate form since he first appeared in this arc? The eye shape indicates that. I just supposed he was in a supressed state to conserve energy, as that actually matters in the manga.
          Well, he's still missing the magic bang, so I don't think he's Ultimate yet
          Get Fucked, C_unt

prince212
          OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:19 pm

The gr wrote:It is Sad that Hop saved a teammate whereas the earthlings couldn't even do that thing.
          On one hand that’s right , on the other hand , if somebody saved for example Krillin , that could be like stones in a backpack and even more sad , unless he’ll be mean to have a big role in the tournament, with is not the case , because we all know where this tournament is going since the anime is ahead showing the main points.
          Don’t expect mayor changes in the manga , just different story development,but similar content way more contracted and going straight to the points. Sadly we are not gonna get so much of develop in some universes and some u7 fighters as we saw in last chapter , but it’s only natural under the circumstances of time and huge number of fighters involved here.
          It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

picc
          Beyond Newbie

Post by picc » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:26 pm

All you human lovers, Roshi being spared (and how much ass he kicked in the anime) may be a good sign. Toyotaro probably has some cool plans for him. Hopefully he gets to take on the more esoteric, magical-esque fighters he can take out with smarts and technique.

Both manga chapters so far have illuminated different fighters from U7. Wonder who the next chapter will focus on.

33: A17, A18, Goku
          34: Gohan, Piccolo, Freeza
          35: Vegeta and Roshi?

I absolutely love the pace of the manga so far. No filler bullshit and uselessly extended battles like in the anime. No staring at each other for no reason. And best of all, no half the chapter spent on blatantly obvious commentary from the peanut gallery. I guess this is what happens when the medium creator doesn't write it for 8 year olds.
          Planet Namek Bred

HeroR
          Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:19 pm

I don’t think Tien and Krillin going out so fast covey ‘no one is safe’ since they were the weakest characters and expected to go early. If Vegeta, Gohan, Goku, and 17 got benched within the first second you would have a point. All this really does is make not bringing Goten and Trunks stupid.
          Last edited by HeroR on Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
          Kanassa wrote:
          precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
          Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

OLKv3
          I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:22 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
          OLKv3 wrote:
          Lord Beerus wrote: That doesn't mean he can't go Super Saiyan even after gains his Ultimate Form back in the anime. Hell, he the anime treats his Ultimate Form as if it's own separate transformation with its own multiplier in strength.
          Dude, name one time he went SS in the anime after gaining his Ultimate Form back. It's never happened
          You using this as a critique for the manga exclusively is just weird, since the anime did the same thing. Gohan only had 2 forms in the anime ToP. Base and Ultimate.
          Since when has it ever implied that Gohan can't become a SSJ despite having his Ultimate form? Hell, he transformed into a SSJ, despite using his Ultimate Form to fight Beerus, during the Super Saiyan God ritual in the Battle Of Gods movie and the Super anime/manga retelling. So he can still power up into that form, but he just doesn't.
          Since he NEVER used SS at all during the ToP, you keep ignoring my main question
          He only used Base or Ultimate in the ToP, yet for some reason, you're critiquing the manga only for him not using SS.

aitrai

Post by aitrai » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:28 pm

Hey! What is your opinions on the animation and art in the new movie trailer? Link: https://youtu.be/w4Dyrq-pFOE Gorgeous. Love me the old-school inspired art style coupled with expressive animation. So yeah, the new animation in the teaser is fucking awesome, ... :thumbup: :thumbup:

Spider-Man
          Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:31 pm

It was an ok chapter I guess but Krillin and Tien were wasted I expect them to do more like in the anime.
            Frost was awesome he manage to suprised me I never expected him to take out a lot of fighter and Gohan vs the trio was also awesome.
              Frieza chokeslaming Frost was hilarious and I thought he was gonna be erased here.
              aitrai wrote:Hey! What is your opinions on the animation and art in the new movie trailer? Link: https://youtu.be/w4Dyrq-pFOE Gorgeous. Love me the old-school inspired art style coupled with expressive animation. So yeah, the new animation in the teaser is fucking awesome, ... :thumbup: :thumbup:
              I liked it but take the discussion here since this is the manga thread.

Lord Beerus
              Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:32 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
              Lord Beerus wrote:
              OLKv3 wrote: Dude, name one time he went SS in the anime after gaining his Ultimate Form back. It's never happened
              You using this as a critique for the manga exclusively is just weird, since the anime did the same thing. Gohan only had 2 forms in the anime ToP. Base and Ultimate.
              Since when has it ever implied that Gohan can't become a SSJ despite having his Ultimate form? Hell, he transformed into a SSJ, despite using his Ultimate Form to fight Beerus, during the Super Saiyan God ritual in the Battle Of Gods movie and the Super anime/manga retelling. So he can still power up into that form, but he just doesn't.
              Since he NEVER used SS at all during the ToP, you keep ignoring my main question
              He only used Base or Ultimate in the ToP, yet for some reason, you're critiquing the manga only for him not using SS.
              You just moved goalposts.

My original comment was that even though Gohan had his Ultimate Form, he could still transform into SSJ. And we see that in the events of Battle Of Gods. You made the assumption that because has his Ultimate Form back, this equates to him not being able to use SSJ anymore, when that was never the case to begin with.

Jackalope89
              Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:36 pm

So, the anime treated Krillin and Tenshinhan better than the manga did. For as lackluster as even their episodes were, they still got episodes dedicated to them. And even the Trio De Dangers of U9 were taken out without much fanfare.

As faulty as the anime is, they gave Tien and Krillin far more than the manga did.

Freeza still betrayed Frost, which was expected. Though Frost wasn't erased before the rest of U6. I'm okay with that (could go either way on it, really).

OLKv3
              I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:45 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
              OLKv3 wrote:
              Lord Beerus wrote: Since when has it ever implied that Gohan can't become a SSJ despite having his Ultimate form? Hell, he transformed into a SSJ, despite using his Ultimate Form to fight Beerus, during the Super Saiyan God ritual in the Battle Of Gods movie and the Super anime/manga retelling. So he can still power up into that form, but he just doesn't.
              You just moved goalposts.

My original comment was that even though Gohan had his Ultimate Form, he could still transform into SSJ. And we see that in the events of Battle Of Gods. You made the assumption that because has his Ultimate Form back, this equates to him not being able to use SSJ anymore, when that was never the case to begin with.
              What? My argument stayed the same throughout our entire conversation, go look back. I never once moved goalposts
              You bashed the chapter for him not using SS, and I said he never used SS in the anime once he got Ultimate back. You've been all over the place since then while still ignoring my original question, which was why are you calling out the manga specifically for this when he did the exact same thing in the anime.

Edit: now I see. You were complaining about fake tension and I thought you were exclusively criticizing the manga only for it, not both. My mistake, I apologize.
              Toyo and Toei seem to operate under the rule that SS no longer gives Gohan a power boost if he has access to Ultimate. That's what I'm assuming since he acts as if Ultimate is his only transformation, unlike Goku and Vegeta who use their other forms

Kanassa
              Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:52 pm

Well, that was a boring shitpile.

Frost's elimination of a Universe was just bland, making him more of just another bruiser instead of a schemer as he's completely punked by Frieza without much dignity. I don't care about Tien and Krillin's eliminations or how much they were given before they were out because the two are meaningless. It's Toyo, he can barely write a decent character care about, so I don't really see it as 'Krillin and Tien got the shaft', I see it as 'Background Baldy 1 and 2 were taken out because of Frieza's dumb ass plan'.

This chapter has that feeling where it feels like nothing really happened, yet you know things did happen. The erasure of the first universe in the tournament should not feel like filler content. I think the only thing I enjoyed was Piccolo being conflicted about taking out the last member of a Universe.

Some of the fighting shots looked decent?
              When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
              FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
              - FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017