"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by batistabus » Tue May 08, 2018 1:04 am

Marlowe89 wrote:Personally, I love Toyotaro's artstyle. His drawings have a sense of motion/dynamism and intensity to them that I feel artists like Young Jijii severely lack, and I think his actual character modeling is on point too. He's so good at drawing base Goku in particular that you can tell he's had a lot of experience with the character, whereas other popular fan artists (like, again, Young Jijii) often struggle with their own depiction of him.
I 100% agree with this. Toriyama will always be the golden standard for me, but if we had to have someone else, I'm glad it was Toyotaro.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue May 08, 2018 12:15 pm

Count one more in for the sentiments above: While Toyotaro's paneling is weak compared to Toriyama's, it's hardly a knock comparing him to an absolute master of the craft. I do find his art style pleasing, and of the high-profile Dragon Ball doujinshi authors, with the possible exception of the much slower Dragon Garow Lee, he's probably my favorite of the bunch. Couple that with his having a good pulse on Dragon Ball's overall sensibilities, I think easily more so than any of the other artists, and a knack for the character-writing, and I'm happy to have him around.

Exline
Beyond Newbie

Post by Exline » Tue May 08, 2018 1:22 pm

batistabus wrote:
Exline wrote:Toriyama was also a master of conveying motion within his panels. Super Eyepatch Wolf from YouTube made a video on this as well, using an example of Vegeta vs Recoome where Toriyama draws Vegeta's aura travelling from in front of Recoome to behind him in the same panel. Toyotaro should be incorporating similar techniques into his panels instead of making such boring anticipation panels showing Hit wind up a kick that does not do anything to Jiren at all. Panels like those are necessary at times, but at that specific moment in that fight, it somewhat hinders the pace of the scene because we're all used to fast paced battles. The slow pacing is another problem of Toyotaro's fights as well.
I agree with what you're saying for the most part, but I just wanted to point out that Toyotaro does use the type of technique you're talking about.

From Chapter 35:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Toyotaro is capable of drawing everything needed for the ideal follow-up to Dragon Ball (short of Toriyama doing it, of course), but having the wisdom to know when he should be using certain techniques - and how often - is something that will hopefully come with time. He needs to trim the fat in some places and double-down in others.
Aw man I love that image of Jiren uppercutting Jiren! But I was referring more to the movement of characters within the panel rather than during an action scene where one swings their arm to initiate their attack. All battle mangaka's do that.

I also love his art style as well. Never have I once seen it as similar to Yamamuro's. Maybe his Goku, but Toyo's art style looks less stiff to me. The only thing I disliked based on his art is that SSB Aura, but besides that I think everything is great. Toyo's an incredible artist. I just wish he did more of those Double Page Panels (I don't really know what their called). One big scene like the one's he used in Chapter 33, where we saw Team Universe 7 in a wide-shot panel as well as the clashes of many warriors in that same chapter is Toyo's art at it's greatest. He should definitely use it more often.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Tue May 08, 2018 2:08 pm

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Tue May 08, 2018 2:23 pm

ToshioWrites wrote:Image
Who’s art is this? I’m really digging this Goku.

Green
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Green » Tue May 08, 2018 2:25 pm

It's a Toyotaro sketch, I don't dig that looong bang but the rest is good.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Tue May 08, 2018 2:42 pm

It looks pretty cool. Hopefully they use that instead of Toriyama's drawing of it.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Tue May 08, 2018 4:34 pm

It looks great, but do you have an actual source for this? Like a link to a post or something. (I can read Discord from the image URL, but that's not an actual source.)
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Tue May 08, 2018 4:50 pm

Alruneia wrote: It looks great, but do you have an actual source for this? Like a link to a post or something. (I can read Discord from the image URL, but that's not an actual source.)
https://twitter.com/naginogi746/status/ ... 19584?s=21

I love how Toyotaro draws hair. It's not really Toriyama-like, but it's his own flair that adds a bit of liveliness to these still images.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Tue May 08, 2018 4:53 pm

So he went for Yamamuro-san's approach. Good to see.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue May 08, 2018 11:57 pm

It looks like Toyo-tarou drew his Mastery of Selfishness Gokuu with his hair blowing in the wind. Nice.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed May 09, 2018 8:04 am

JulieYBM wrote:It looks like Toyo-tarou drew his Mastery of Selfishness Gokuu with his hair blowing in the wind. Nice.
Well, Yamamuro-san's Goku looks like he has moving windy hair as well.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed May 09, 2018 9:00 am

batistabus wrote:
Alruneia wrote: It looks great, but do you have an actual source for this? Like a link to a post or something. (I can read Discord from the image URL, but that's not an actual source.)
https://twitter.com/naginogi746/status/ ... 19584?s=21
Thank you!
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Wed May 09, 2018 10:56 am

That big piece of hair looks kinda weird and obnoxious, but every other detail is spot-on. I'm already liking this concept art better than Yamamuro's (and especially Toriyama's, the shit effort put into that smh).
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Fri May 11, 2018 12:02 am

Rakurai wrote:That big piece of hair looks kinda weird and obnoxious, but every other detail is spot-on. I'm already liking this concept art better than Yamamuro's (and especially Toriyama's, the shit effort put into that smh).
What shit effort? The dude could have at least put on shit effort, but he decided to trace his ssg concept art and recolor it:lol:

Agree tho, the art looks great.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sat May 12, 2018 12:25 am

I feel like people hate Toyotarou just because or compare him to Toriyama too often. Toyotarou is Toriyama’s successor for a reason and he’s doing a pretty good job at doing Dragon Ball.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat May 12, 2018 2:29 am

I don't think anyone here is going to claim that Toyotaro is as good as Toriyama. Shit, even OG Dragonball showed that Toriyama is a straight-up genius.

Toyotaro is fine in a "replicating that DB feel" kind of way.

Better than the anime at least.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat May 12, 2018 3:56 am

kemuri07 wrote:I don't think anyone here is going to claim that Toyotaro is as good as Toriyama. Shit, even OG Dragonball showed that Toriyama is a straight-up genius.

Toyotaro is fine in a "replicating that DB feel" kind of way.

Better than the anime at least.
I'm not completely sure about that.

Its true that Toyo is definitely more capable at producing better stuff than the weaker members of the anime staff. This tournament kind of proves that, with him doing a better job at handling the weakest parts of the anime. However, I'm not completely convinced that he can outdo the better staff on the anime in their respective departments, hell I would go as far as to say that the anime has a far few animators who are themselves more striking artists than Toyotaro himself. Not to mention storyboard artists.

OhHiRenan
Beyond Newbie

Post by OhHiRenan » Sat May 12, 2018 12:50 pm

Meshack wrote:I feel like people hate Toyotarou just because or compare him to Toriyama too often. Toyotarou is Toriyama’s successor for a reason and he’s doing a pretty good job at doing Dragon Ball.
I definitely think Toyotaro gets way too much hate, but I think comparing him to Toriyama is totally fair. He's the one writing and drawing an official manga sequel. It's only natural we end up comparing his work to Toriyama's.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Sat May 12, 2018 5:51 pm

That could be a proof that there will be no Omen/Imperfect UI on the manga and Goku will turn into Blanco at once.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.