"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by HeroR » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:10 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
emperior wrote:I don't see why they shouldn't slow down things a little, as long as they produce interesting content I'm fine with it.
If they can produce interesting content to fill the time, which they can't.
In your opinion. Personally, I have found the stuff Toei writes better than some of Toriyama's stuff.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:13 pm

HeroR wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
emperior wrote:I don't see why they shouldn't slow down things a little, as long as they produce interesting content I'm fine with it.
In your opinion. Personally, I have found the stuff Toei writes better than some of Toriyama's stuff.
You liked the Pilaf padding in the FT Arc? The constant trips? The Mafuba plotline that went nowhere?

Toei is fine at writing their independent stories, but they're attempts at adapting and stretching Toriyama's scripts are horrendous.
Retired.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:19 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote: You liked the Pilaf padding in the FT Arc? The constant trips? The Mafuba plotline that went nowhere?

Toei is fine at writing their independent stories, but they're attempts at adapting and stretching Toriyama's scripts are horrendous.
I like the Pilaf Gang and only found them annoying a few times.

The second and third time trip could have been merged, but it really didn't effect the pacing imo.

The Evil Containment Wave got Black and Zamasu to fused, so it did move the plot, which is more than it did when Tien practiced it.

Disagree. Future Trunks Saga was better paced than Z outside of the Saiyan Saga.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

micah007
Not-So-Newbie

Post by micah007 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:23 pm

HeroR wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
I agree it's an odd day when some of the "filler" content ends up being more engaging, creative, and a better use of the DB ensemble cast than the main arcs.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:33 pm

micah007 wrote:
I agree it's an odd day when some of the "filler" content ends up being more engaging, creative, and a better use of the DB ensemble cast than the main arcs.
I don't just mean the breather episodes. I mean the way Toei brought out the Future Trunks Saga was better than most of the major story arcs in the original manga, which is why the Future Trunks Saga is one of my personal favorites.

I honestly don't care about the ensemble cast being used. I liked that the Future Trunks Saga limited the cast since the people they did used moved and developed the story, like how the cast was used during the Namek/Freeza Saga. When it comes to the cast, some times less is better.
Kanassa wrote:

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:01 pm

I wonder if this is going to be a 40 page chapter I don't know if toyotaro could cram everything in one chapter damn it this manga should have 2 chapter per month not 1
Mostly active on discord.

Kogu 87
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kogu 87 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:49 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: If they can produce interesting content to fill the time, which they can't.
You liked the Pilaf padding in the FT Arc? The constant trips? The Mafuba plotline that went nowhere?

I disagree with that point when it comes to the Future Trunks Arc. I simply loved the way they handled the Goku Black mystery and had me wondering about his identity and origins for a while. We all had an idea that zamasu was involved, but how and why was what kept us wondering.

I specifically loved the sparring match between zamasu and goku, that moment where zamasu expresses disbelief at goku's power. Also the whole episode where Beerus , Whis, Goku and Shin watching and waiting for Zamasu to make his move.

I love the manga adaptation, but wish it kept some of those elements.
"Oh dear...."

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:55 am

micah007 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: If they can produce interesting content to fill the time, which they can't.
Are you implying the future trunks arc? Which even with all of its bullshit power ups ass pulls. Still managed to be better than the buu arc, and the cell arc combined, with two superior villains, more emotionally gripping moments and a bitter sweet ending?

That one?

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:04 am

People misinterperting Toyo's comments about being ahead of the anime. HE'S ahead of the anime, not the monthly manga. He's ahead because he's drawing panels of the new arc already and sending them to Toei. The monthly manga is keeping the same pace it's always kept.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:32 am

Gog wrote:
Gog wrote:
Gog wrote:
Are you implying the future trunks arc? Which even with all of its bullshit power ups ass pulls. Still managed to be better than the buu arc, and the cell arc combined, with two superior villains, more emotionally gripping moments and a bitter sweet ending?

That one?
No but those are nice opinions. In my opinion Black was in no way a superior villain to Cell or Buu for that matter, he was interesting largely due to the mystery surrounding him. Once that was removed you lost 95% of his character to be honest. Both Cell and Buu managed to remain interesting once they both were figured out.
Cell interesting villain? After he spoiled his entire mystery. After he lost his personality, and just became a generic doomsday, thug, with no goal? Better Villain then Black Goku.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Sorry I'm so disrespectful, and acting like a complete ass. But this is too much it's the same with Buu as well. Who even managing to be a better villain than Cell, as he's the lowest of the low, in the franchise. Buu's little personality is really fun, but that's all their is he's not complex, and when he became kid Buu, his personality. Vanished.

Black on the other hand is determined, brutal, elegant, a masochist, vain, relishes a good fight, is formal with his speech, he's calm, and has a different view on power. He's got double the amount of personality traits than Cell, and Buu combined

I need to post this as I put a lot of effort into it

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:40 am

HeroR wrote:The second and third time trip could have been merged, but it really didn't effect the pacing imo.
At least these trips had a purpose. When the protagonists went to the future, they discovered that Black has SSJR and Future Zamasu which then lead to the events of Beerus killing Present Zamasu thus stopping him from proceeding with his Zero Mortals Plan. Another one is where we discover that Black was a Zamasu where he succeeded in taking Goku's body (time loop) and killing Chi Chi and Goten and the protagonists returning to the past to come up with a plan which is the Mafuba and Vegeta training in the ROSAT. Another one is where the protagonists finally face off against fused villain and returning after Zamasu's destruction at the hands of Zeno.

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:42 am

Cell interesting villain? After he spoiled his entire mystery. After he lost his personality, and just became a generic doomsday, thug, with no goal? Better Villain then Black Goku.

Spoiler:View

Sorry I'm so disrespectful, and acting like a complete ass. But this is too much it's the same with Buu as well. Who even managing to be a better villain than Cell, as he's the lowest of the low, in the franchise. Buu's little personality is really fun, but that's all their is he's not complex, and when he became kid Buu, his personality. Vanished.

Black on the other hand is determined, brutal, elegant, a masochist, vain, relishes a good fight, is formal with his speech, he's calm, and has a different view on power. He's got double the amount of personality traits than Cell, and Buu combined
Cell has plenty of character (by Dragon Ball villain standards, anyway.). He doesn't want to destroy the world because he's evil and just wants to kill things, he's just doing because it would be more entertaining than not doing so. He states multiple times that he doesn't really care about his original purpose or about Goku and Co. at all, just the challenge of fighting someone with his strength. Come to think about it, he was much more of an evil Goku than Goku Black ended up becoming, disregarding their appearances, of course.
Even though Zamasu started off with a unique motivation, he devolved into the maniacal cackling villain by the end, even though in his eyes he's doing the morally right thing.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:02 am

Cell has plenty of character (by Dragon Ball villain standards, anyway.). He doesn't want to destroy the world because he's evil and just wants to kill things, he's just doing because it would be more entertaining than not doing so. He states multiple times that he doesn't really care about his original purpose or about Goku and Co. at all, just the challenge of fighting someone with his strength. Come to think about it, he was much more of an evil Goku than Goku Black ended up becoming, disregarding their appearances, of course.
Even though Zamasu started off with a unique motivation, he devolved into the maniacal cackling villain by the end, even though in his eyes he's doing the morally right thing.
No, that's the problem, Cell's has plenty of boring character, that makes no sense. Whats so ever. He states multiple times that he just wants a good fight, however he also states that he's going to destroy the planet, if they fail or don't actually show up. No Cell's not more of an evil Goku then Black Goku was. Because if Goku was evil, he wouldn't destroy the planet with what he'd believe the most strongest fighters live on.

We're not talking about Zamasu, were talking about Goku Black

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:11 am

I don't see the contradiction there. Cell's threats were a means to get everyone training in hopes of matching his strength.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:15 am

Nejishiki wrote:I don't see the contradiction there. Cell's threats were a means to get everyone training in hopes of matching his strength.
No Cell. Was going to follow through with them.

Nothing in the narrative suggests other wise 8) :lol:

I Remember. I Remember!

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:22 am

Gog wrote: No, that's the problem, Cell's has plenty of boring character, that makes no sense. Whats so ever. He states multiple times that he just wants a good fight, however he also states that he's going to destroy the planet, if they fail or don't actually show up. No Cell's not more of an evil Goku then Black Goku was. Because if Goku was evil, he wouldn't destroy the planet with what he'd believe the most strongest fighters live on.
How is anyone on Earth but Goku and Gohan going to offer Cell a good fight? As shown by his fight will Vegeta and Trunks he isn't entertained by any battle that won't let him stretch his muscles. And as for his motivation for blowing up Earth, wouldn't it be fun to blow up a whole freaking planet?! Cell is one of my favourite villains because I can relate to him so well. He doesn't have any connections to anyone on Earth, to him people are nothing more than objects, some of which might be able to give him a way to entertain himself. Once he was done with Earth he'd just go somewhere else, living out his days fighting in the strongest in the galaxy. He wasn't doing it to kill people, he wasn't doing it for revenge, he was doing it because he just wanted to entertain himself. I know that's what I would do if I was a weird green creature made by a mad scientist with power beyond human comprehension and no morals attached to any humans, what else are you supposed to do?
Gog wrote: We're not talking about Zamasu, were talking about Goku Black
Well, they were the same guy. Literally.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:36 am

How is anyone on Earth but Goku and Gohan going to offer Cell a good fight? As shown by his fight will Vegeta and Trunks he isn't entertained by any battle that won't let him stretch his muscles. And as for his motivation for blowing up Earth, wouldn't it be fun to blow up a whole freaking planet?! Cell is one of my favourite villains because I can relate to him so well. He doesn't have any connections to anyone on Earth, to him people are nothing more than objects, some of which might be able to give him a way to entertain himself. Once he was done with Earth he'd just go somewhere else, living out his days fighting in the strongest in the galaxy. He wasn't doing it to kill people, he wasn't doing it for revenge, he was doing it because he just wanted to entertain himself. I know that's what I would do if I was a weird green creature made by a mad scientist with power beyond human comprehension and no morals attached to any humans, what else are you supposed to do?

How is everyone in the universe, going to offer Cell a good fight? In his mind their is fucking nobody, but Goku, Gohan and potentially Vegeta, who would offer him a good fight. No one . You know what's even funner, and more lol, and XD then blowing up a planet? Especially considering that Cell is apparently most like evil Goku. Having some one to fight. So, you relate to a mass murdering psychopathic being? . And Cell can totally not think people are people, and more like toys to entertain himself.

But why the fuck would he destroy earth, and go fighting the strongest in the universe. IN HIS MIND, THE STRONGEST PERSON IN THE UNIVERSE WAS FREEZA. He would have no reason, to believe that their was anyone stronger than him. That would mean that the only place, that he would know their were strong fighters, in the same tier as his. Would be on earth.

Well if I was a weird green creature made by an evil made scientist. Who is apparently most like an evil Goku you know what I'd do? I would realize, that if Freeza was the strongest in the universe, and that I'm stronger than him, and the only fighter's in the known universe that are also stronger than him are on the same planet.

I don't blow up the fucking planet

Well, they were the same guy. Literally.
No, there's enough differences between the characters, to differentiate the two.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:05 am

Hey can someone tell me what the title of Dragon Ball Super Volume 2 is.

It's the red writing near the top. I was wondering what this volume was actually called.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:35 am

We should have leaks anytime now...
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:51 am

Noah wrote:We should have leaks anytime now...
for chapter 20?
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'