"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMikado
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by TheMikado » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:24 pm

BrolyKale wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:There is nothing wrong with anime Jiren and it is just that many of you don't like someone who doesn't speak a lot.
I agree. Its not because a character doesn't talk a lot that its a bad character, we just don't know much about him just like we don't know much about U6 Saiyans or Hit or anyone else in the TOP. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Jiren, nor any other character like Ribrianne etc... every character don't have to be the same, act the same, all talky, cocky or shy or w/e. Some people absolutely want to change the character because they don't like how that character is... you either love him or hate him, but don't try to change him. It reminds me of Broly, where people absolutely want to change his motivation, his story, his personality, every single thing to make a whole different character... like wtf

Some people don't like to talk irl, what does that mean? does that mean that its a bad person or a bland person? like seriously. Its not because Jiren doesn't talk a lot that he is a bad character or a bland character.

Nah it's more than that. He's the main antagonist and he's just plain not compelling. We pretty much don't care what he is up to unless he's fighting Goku. In the anime he really doesn't exist except for within Goku's sphere.
The manga seems to be fully formed. He has developed a sense of justice more so than his counterparts. He appears to be exceptional and it seems he carries that on his shoulders in such a way that if he can't do it, no one can.

I mean it's like the canon version of Goku vs. Superman. That aside. I've said it sense the beginning Jiren as presented in the anime is just the casually Super strong guy who is basically the equivalent of a beat cop.
In this version Jiren IS Superman, he IS justice. And Goku is about to fight a guy who is legitimately actually "good" as near as we can tell.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:29 pm

jplaya2023 wrote:so basically pride troopers = justice league

jiren = superman
dypso = flash
toppo = ??? captain marvel (shazaam)
so forth
Toppo is more akin to a not-so-edgy Batman.
Feels over Reals.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:33 pm

TheMikado wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:There is nothing wrong with anime Jiren and it is just that many of you don't like someone who doesn't speak a lot.
I agree. Its not because a character doesn't talk a lot that its a bad character, we just don't know much about him just like we don't know much about U6 Saiyans or Hit or anyone else in the TOP. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Jiren, nor any other character like Ribrianne etc... every character don't have to be the same, act the same, all talky, cocky or shy or w/e. Some people absolutely want to change the character because they don't like how that character is... you either love him or hate him, but don't try to change him. It reminds me of Broly, where people absolutely want to change his motivation, his story, his personality, every single thing to make a whole different character... like wtf

Some people don't like to talk irl, what does that mean? does that mean that its a bad person or a bland person? like seriously. Its not because Jiren doesn't talk a lot that he is a bad character or a bland character.

Nah it's more than that. He's the main antagonist and he's just plain not compelling. We pretty much don't care what he is up to unless he's fighting Goku. In the anime he really doesn't exist except for within Goku's sphere.
The manga seems to be fully formed. He has developed a sense of justice more so than his counterparts. He appears to be exceptional and it seems he carries that on his shoulders in such a way that if he can't do it, no one can.

I mean it's like the canon version of Goku vs. Superman. That aside. I've said it sense the beginning Jiren as presented in the anime is just the casually Super strong guy who is basically the equivalent of a beat cop.
In this version Jiren IS Superman, he IS justice. And Goku is about to fight a guy who is legitimately actually "good" as near as we can tell.
"You don't care" I do care about Jiren in the anime and I always wanted to know more about him and also about the two female Saiyajins, they are pretty interesting to me.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:40 pm

RedHeat wrote:
jplaya2023 wrote:so basically pride troopers = justice league

jiren = superman
dypso = flash
toppo = ??? captain marvel (shazaam)
so forth
Toppo is more akin to a not-so-edgy Batman.
probably true but toppo is way stronger batman is just a human so i said shazaaam because him and superman are equals for the most part

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:42 pm

Green wrote:Jiren has the same pose as Superman when flying, nice homage there. He seems like a nice guy while the anime pictured him... differently? Aside from the whole stoic and composed thing, he doesn't seem heroic but more of a martial artist like Goku and Vegeta.

Maybe Toei left this character trait out on purpose and if he wins the tournament he'll restore the universes surprising anyone (or not?).
You mean as sort of a surprise factor? He's portrayed more stone-faced and martial arts like like you said. We haven't seen the fact that he's heroic, only snippets of things that are circumstantial at best (with him confronting Kale and about to attack Ribrianne since those two were attacking everyone and the arena itself). Toei's probably going for a slow reveal on that, not a bad approach necessarily. But I think Toyo's approach with just being upfront with Jiren's character works better here.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:46 pm

I dont get the superman/jiren comparisons neither are really similar in character :problem:
Anyways the arc is running to march so it aint like anime jiren character won't be shown a bit more during the time like his fight with hit

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:49 pm

Jigurashi wrote:
Green wrote:Jiren has the same pose as Superman when flying, nice homage there. He seems like a nice guy while the anime pictured him... differently? Aside from the whole stoic and composed thing, he doesn't seem heroic but more of a martial artist like Goku and Vegeta.

Maybe Toei left this character trait out on purpose and if he wins the tournament he'll restore the universes surprising anyone (or not?).
You mean as sort of a surprise factor? He's portrayed more stone-faced and martial arts like like you said. We haven't seen the fact that he's heroic, only snippets of things that are circumstantial at best (with him confronting Kale and about to attack Ribrianne since those two were attacking everyone and the arena itself). Toei's probably going for a slow reveal on that, not a bad approach necessarily. But I think Toyo's approach with just being upfront with Jiren's character works better here.
Agree toyo way of doing it is better tho as you said toei probably going for the slow reveal

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:50 pm

The 28 planet line is in. :x

Just what exactly was Sorbet having trouble dealing with. How small was exactly Freeza's empire? There's so many problems with this line.

Kepiaschkz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kepiaschkz » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:07 pm

LightBing wrote:The 28 planet line is in. :x

Just what exactly was Sorbet having trouble dealing with. How small was exactly Freeza's empire? There's so many problems with this line.
The Freeza's empire isn't included in the 28 planets. Shin actually talked about planets with intelligent life in it. Native population from the planets of Freeza's empire were entirely exterminated and replaced by Freeza's soldiers. The same soldiers were killing each other in an internal war after Freeza's death and the remaining ones, a thousand, where killed in RoF. So theses planets are now empty and Shin obviously doesn't take them into account. The Freeza empire could have been several hundreds planets large.

So the 28 planets lines doesn't contradict anything. It is even logical : Buu, Beerus and Freeza wiped out life from thousands and thousands of planets. Life that takes millions of years to develop. Now wonder why universe 7 is so low in termd of mortal level ranking.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:18 pm

Kepiaschkz wrote:

The Freeza's empire isn't included in the 28 planets. Shin actually talked about planets with intelligent life in it. Native population from the planets of Freeza's empire were entirely exterminated and replaced by Freeza's soldiers. The same soldiers were killing each other in an internal war after Freeza's death and the remaining ones, a thousand, where killed in RoF. So theses planets are now empty and Shin obviously doesn't take them into account. The Freeza empire could have been several hundreds planets large.

So the 28 planets lines doesn't contradict anything. It is even logical : Buu, Beerus and Freeza wiped out life from thousands and thousands of planets. Life that takes millions of years to develop. Now wonder why universe 7 is so low in termd of mortal level ranking.
Interesting bit about Freeza's Army. Is that from RoF or is it your theory?

I'm creating a thread to tackle this topic in the in-universe section, it should be up soon. Please answer there.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:21 pm

Sorbet didn’t really have problems. The only problem he had was keeping control of the planets he already had because of Freeza.I forgot what was said in the Golden Freeza Arc but he was losing control. I guess you can say this is another problem but not really but he didn’t know where Namekku Planet was. No one seems to know where it is or Gokuh just can’t find it.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:22 pm

LightBing wrote:
Kepiaschkz wrote:

Interesting bit about Freeza's Army. Is that from RoF or is it your theory?

I'm creating a thread to tackle this topic in the in-universe section, it should be up soon. Please answer there.
A thread covering this revelation was already created.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:32 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:A thread covering this revelation was already created.
I checked to see if there was one recently but didn't find it.
That thread is 4 months old. I think my thread should still stand since it's more focused but it's up to the mods to decide.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:48 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
Noah wrote:Like how? He didn't have any impressive feat in this chapter, also could you change your avatar, please? People are mistaking you with Chuquita

1. He's confirmed stronger than Belmod in the manga
2. He easily one shotted the beast that was giving his team trouble
3. He's so fast he can outperform their spaceships and flies from planet to planet super fast

How is he not looking impressive? His post saying he looks like some weakling chump and you defending that are just silly

1. Was Belmod one of the last remnants in the Battle Royale between the GoDs?
2. Common shonen trope
3. Like Saiyans couldn't do the same if given a proper suit to breath in space?

Could you guys explain what was the problem with this? I remember this being disscussed a lot in the beginning of the arc in the anime, but I don't remember why now... Is it another Super plot hole?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:44 pm

Noah wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:
Noah wrote:Like how? He didn't have any impressive feat in this chapter, also could you change your avatar, please? People are mistaking you with Chuquita

3. He's so fast he can outperform their spaceships and flies from planet to planet super fast

How is he not looking impressive? His post saying he looks like some weakling chump and you defending that are just silly

2. Common shonen trope

Could you guys explain what was the problem with this? I remember this being disscussed a lot in the beginning of the arc in the anime, but I don't remember why now... Is it another Super plot hole?
It’s not a plot hole

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:46 pm

Noah wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:

2. Common shonen trope

Its not necessarily a plot hole in dragon ball or z because toriyama never really explained how large his universe really is, but it does make freeza's empire look small in some eyes.

People got mad for like a week than dropped it because of the krillin episode.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:52 pm

Totamo wrote:Its not necessarily a plot hole in dragon ball or z because toriyama never really explained how large his universe really is, but it does make freeza's empire look small in some eyes. People got mad for like a week than dropped it because of the krillin episode.
Actually he did it: Universe 7 is divided by four galaxies, which one ruled by a Kai. It doesn't make much sense there are only 28 inhabited planets. Unless we could say the Saiyans and Freeza destoyed/ruled most of it.

Meshack wrote:It’s not a plot hole
If you're going only answer the last line of my post you should just have edited, mate.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:04 pm

Noah wrote:
Totamo wrote:Its not necessarily a plot hole in dragon ball or z because toriyama never really explained how large his universe really is, but it does make freeza's empire look small in some eyes. People got mad for like a week than dropped it because of the krillin episode.
Actually he did it: Universe 7 is divided by four galaxies, which one ruled by a Kai. It doesn't make much sense there are only 28 inhabited planets. Unless we could say the Saiyans and Freeza destoyed/ruled most of it.

If you're going only answer the last line of my post you should just have edited, mate.
Ok you know what. Would you be so kind as to tell me how you edit like this that be appreciated.

Oh and that number has been disputed by many people in the fanbase, Some say its more than 4, some say its less. Toriyama doesn't like to develop things. He leaves them vague. Probably should go back.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:46 pm

Totamo wrote:Ok you know what. Would you be so kind as to tell me how you edit like this that be appreciated.

Oh and that number has been disputed by many people in the fanbase, Some say its more than 4, some say its less. Toriyama doesn't like to develop things. He leaves them vague. Probably should go back.

It's simple: just delete all the part is not related to your reply, but making sure there's [ / quote] at the end of the sentence.

What you mean by disputed?
Last edited by Noah on Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:16 pm

Noah wrote:

It wasn’t said it was divided specifically to four galaxies. Ginga is what is used but the Japanese don’t really show plural forms of words so it could have been more than four galaxies even during when Toriyama introduced Kaioh and the others.

Maybe I wanted to respond to the last line of your point because I had nothing to say about the other stuff...? And what editing are you talking about?
Last edited by Meshack on Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.