"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by LightBing » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:12 am

I hope Toyotarõ is allowed to choose who eliminates who, with the exception of the big boys. This would mitigate one of the main disadvantages the manga has, the lack of the surprise effect beyond cute details.

I still remember people criticizing the manga for not making the discovery of Black's identity a mystery, ignoring it would be the definition of redundancy since the anime already spoiled it. It would be like starting a movie saying: "This guy is the murderer - shows picture" and have the plot being about discovering who the murderer is.

But I digress; assuming Mr.Toriyama didn't hand-pick who get's eliminated by whom with a few exceptions, Toyotarõ might use this to keep us on our toes. Maybe he can even change the order of eliminations. Kuririn being out first had no influence on the plot, I dare to say it was completely arbitrary. Why not have Piccolo go first or Tenshinhan.

Of course I expect the surprise effect to be utilized wholesomely and not just a surprise for the sake of a surprise.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:19 pm

I really can't wait to see the manga version. I hope a lot of the recruting is cut down to one or two chapters and the Exhibition Matches are skipped/cut entirely. There's little actual relevant story in those, so it wouldn't hurt the manga and Toyotaro can put his focus on the actual tournament. I mostly liked what I saw of the anime, but the manga format can capture the Battle Royale much better than a show (especially Super) ever could.

I hope I'm not let down or this arc might be where the manga and I part ways.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:54 pm

Totamo wrote:
mfwlegend3 wrote:I'm just curious if Toyo will keep the "back tingles" method for Caulifla and Kale's SS, assuming that it's apart of Toriyama's outline. But even then, Toriyama has mentioned that he implores Toyo to make changes he feels are necessary and that it's "better that way."
Tori doesn't like explaining things.
In contrast, that's Toyo's specialty.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:59 pm

More like, he tries.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:06 pm

Cetra wrote:
More like, he tries.
And yet it's more tolerable than what Toei delivers.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:20 pm

mfwlegend3 wrote:
Cetra wrote:
More like, he tries.
And yet it's more tolerable than what Toei delivers.
Maybe for you. That's no natural law.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

micah007
Not-So-Newbie

Post by micah007 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:33 pm

shadowmaria wrote:If I'm not mistaken, leaks are any time between now and Monday, yeah?
Should be either tomorrow or Friday to be specific.

Basako
Advanced Regular

Post by Basako » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:08 pm

Totamo wrote:
mfwlegend3 wrote:I'm just curious if Toyo will keep the "back tingles" method for Caulifla and Kale's SS, assuming that it's apart of Toriyama's outline. But even then, Toriyama has mentioned that he implores Toyo to make changes he feels are necessary and that it's "better that way."
Tori doesn't like explaining things.
Yes he does. Like in the saiyans arc explanations about Goku's and the saiyans' past, by Raditz and Roshi. Later about the namekians, so many things were explained about them. Trunks first time with Goku. Bulma about Gero. Cell first form and Piccolo, that was all about explaining, plothole included. Super Perfect Cell about his recovery. Shin about Boo, when they were going to see Babidi and when he became kid. And so many more times, those are just a few important ones that I remember now, but it's constant with minor things too.
Heno heno kappa!

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:02 pm

Cetra wrote:Maybe for you. That's no natural law.
To each his own, obviously. If I'm satisfied with it, that's all that matters to me.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:02 am

Draconic wrote:I really can't wait to see the manga version. I hope a lot of the recruting is cut down to one or two chapters and the Exhibition Matches are skipped/cut entirely. There's little actual relevant story in those, so it wouldn't hurt the manga and Toyotaro can put his focus on the actual tournament. I mostly liked what I saw of the anime, but the manga format can capture the Battle Royale much better than a show (especially Super) ever could.

The exhibition matches or at the very least one match is essential to the arc. It sets the tone, everybody disliking and gunning for Goku, introduces Toppo who then mentions Jiren which is a need to get Goku even more hyped for the tournament.

I expect we get at least one match, getting the three would be unnecessary story-wise. Like I said before in this thread, I think Toei expanded this bit of Mr.Toriyama's plot; one to give Mr.Boo an opportunity to shine and two to bring Gohan back into the action as fast as possible and because Toei loves Gohan.

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:20 am

LightBing wrote:
Draconic wrote:I really can't wait to see the manga version. I hope a lot of the recruting is cut down to one or two chapters and the Exhibition Matches are skipped/cut entirely. There's little actual relevant story in those, so it wouldn't hurt the manga and Toyotaro can put his focus on the actual tournament. I mostly liked what I saw of the anime, but the manga format can capture the Battle Royale much better than a show (especially Super) ever could.

The exhibition matches or at the very least one match is essential to the arc. It sets the tone, everybody disliking and gunning for Goku, introduces Toppo who then mentions Jiren which is a need to get Goku even more hyped for the tournament.

I expect we get at least one match, getting the three would be unnecessary story-wise. Like I said before in this thread, I think Toei expanded this bit of Mr.Toriyama's plot; one to give Mr.Boo an opportunity to shine and two to bring Gohan back into the action as fast as possible and because Toei loves Gohan.
It would be awesome if he showcases other universes one should be more than enough for two universes but if I am being realistic he is going to show exhibition matches,freeza's and 17 recruitments and then straight to tournament.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:51 am

LightBing wrote:

Very possible, though I don't think anything about those matches is essential to the plot. Goku set up happens trough his conflict with Beerus and other universes gunning for him can happen in a number of different ways.
Though if the Exhibition does happen, as you said, a lot will be changed.

I mean, I don't mind if a lot of what we see in the anime is not cut down, depending on the outline. I will surely enjoy a Toyotaro Buu fight and with the Gohan bonus chapter for the FT arc he might still get his due time. The actual recruitment won't be as padded out like the anime, but I don't mind if time is taken with it either.
It's just that I'm hyped for the manga's take on a Battle Royale and after already going trough a long wait with the anime, it's going to be thougher to hold it together. Especially if the anime steps up it's game for the latter parts, which I think will eventually happen.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:59 am

They're not gonna skip the exhibition matches

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:06 am

Okay. Toyotaro is giving Gohan the Piccolo outfit for this arc. God I love that!
And Tenshinhan's outfit is in the beautiful BoG colors, not the ugly RoF ones.
And the whole Buu stuff was bullshit, since Freeza is there from the start.
And 18 has silver hair... Well, it's Future Trunks all over again :lol:
Last edited by Draconic on Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:09 am

Toyo's (I presume) art of Caulifla looks hideous.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:13 am

mfwlegend3 wrote:Toyo's (I presume) art of Caulifla looks hideous.
I like it. She actually has a different face from Cabba for once.

Swifticuffs
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swifticuffs » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:15 am

OLKv3 wrote:
Hi brothers. Can someone PM me where you browse the leaks? Thanks.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:20 am

Swifticuffs wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:
There aren't leaks yet, we just have the V-Jump cover drawn by Toyo
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Swifticuffs
Beyond Newbie

Post by Swifticuffs » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:23 am

OLKv3 wrote:
Swifticuffs wrote:
OLKv3 wrote: I like it. She actually has a different face from Cabba for once.
There aren't leaks yet, we just have the V-Jump cover drawn by Toyo
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Cheers. Beautiful cover.