"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Tue May 22, 2018 1:55 pm

TKA wrote: Clearly you don't read enough comics. It's pretty widespread. Some even do what I consider indefensible by including these traced things in the actual comic and not as just a variant cover.

But I digress. I'm done with this non-issue. Something substantial will come along soon enough.
I know all about that particular artist, as well as just how widespread tracing is in the Western comics industry. What I'm saying is that this:
Is completely different from tracing over someone else's work, like what Toyotaro's done. You also say that it doesn't matter because it's a promo image featuring a Yugioh character, but what's to stop him from tracing again? If he's done it here, who's to say he won't do it again, only this time in the comic itself? Hell, maybe he's already gotten away with tracing within the comic for a few years now. It's not a "non-issue," because tracing is never a one-time thing.
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

SuperDragoon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SuperDragoon » Tue May 22, 2018 1:55 pm

I feel Toyotaro's tracing is another reason to dislike his manga. The anime at least never went so far as to blatantly trace another man's art.

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Tue May 22, 2018 1:56 pm

I'll just trace what everyone else has said at this point and say I'm disappointed to see a professional artist such as Toyotaro do this.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue May 22, 2018 1:58 pm

KinguKurimuzon wrote:Is completely different from tracing over someone else's work, like what Toyotaro's done. You also say that it doesn't matter because it's a promo image featuring a Yugioh character, but what's to stop him from tracing again? If he's done it here, who's to say he won't do it again, only this time in the comic itself? Hell, maybe he's already gotten away with tracing within the comic for a few years now. It's not a "non-issue," because tracing is never a one-time thing.
Well, considering he gets away with pointless "homages" to Toriyama's better work that add nothing at all to the subtext of the scene he's drawing besides suspiciously cutting his workload in two, then I would be surprised if some of the more hardcore Toyotaro fans here defending his plagiarism cared at all whether he copies someone else in the future.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:58 pm

Doctor. wrote:I don't see any trace either in this image. Guess we were all wrong.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:02 pm

TKA wrote: I said this is a non-issue because of the aforementioned details. This is irrelevant and will be forgotten since these promo covers are all disposable garbage featuring some of the worst art in the franchise.
Dunno if I'd call it a "non-issue", but I can guarantee you it won't be forgotten. If Toyotaro sticks around, which he likely will, this whole situation is going to be used as shitposting ammo for months if not years. /a/ is already having a field day.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Tue May 22, 2018 2:04 pm

KinguKurimuzon wrote: Is completely different from tracing over someone else's work, like what Toyotaro's done
Nah, I completely disagree.

What's been done here is Toyotaro copied the pose, probably with a rough outline, and then he drew his details over it. In other words, Cap was the base layer, and then the additional layers are Toyotaro's. It's just a shortcut for drawing, and is something heavily prevalent in the industry.

Even Dexter Soy isn't sure it's a trace. He's treating this how I am and laughing at it. (Fine artist, btw. Check out Red Hood and the Outlaws: Rebirth and the 2016-current run it spawned; most of the issues are done by him.)

I'm done with this though. This is not an argument I care strongly about either way and there's no way to prove which "side" of the debate is right and which is wrong. This will just be a circular "discussion" until everyone gets tired of it.
Marlowe89 wrote:
Dunno if I'd call it a "non-issue", but I can guarantee you it won't be forgotten. If Toyotaro sticks around, which he likely will, this whole situation is going to be used as shitposting ammo for months if not years. /a/ is already having a field day.
That's fine. It is pretty funny.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Tue May 22, 2018 2:06 pm

Asking everyone here, will this change your view of the dbs manga from now on?
I honestly dont know how ill feel from now on. Probably the same.

Maybe well start seeing tracing that isnt there in the manga :lol: (not saying this isnt a trace, which obviously is)

dodonpa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by dodonpa » Tue May 22, 2018 2:06 pm

Toyotaro does this over and over so it's sad but probably doesn't have another option due to his lack of talent making him unable to come up with own poses and compositions. He should be careful about who to copy, otherwise his career will be finished. Or maybe it's finished already...

Zen Yabuki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Zen Yabuki » Tue May 22, 2018 2:06 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:Whats dissapointing is that toyotaro had no need to trace anything for the cover of v jump. He is capable of drawing decently without tracing.
Pretty much this. I don't think he'll suffer any major consequences, nor do I care too much if he does or doesn't, but yeah, really is just bad practice to be doing so.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Tue May 22, 2018 2:08 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:Asking everyone here, will this change your view of the dbs manga from now on?

Maybe well start seeing tracing that isnt there in the manga :lol: (not saying this isnt a trace, which obviously is)

It won't. I'm still gonna read the manga cause its dragonball. I'm not gonna be all outraged. If we can support a franchise that feeds the wallet of a tax fraud then this shouldn't gonna deter anyone imo

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue May 22, 2018 2:17 pm

ToshioWrites wrote:
Kenneth La Torre wrote:Asking everyone here, will this change your view of the dbs manga from now on?

It won't. I'm still gonna read the manga cause its dragonball. I'm not gonna be all outraged. If we can support a franchise that feeds the wallet of a tax fraud then this shouldn't gonna deter anyone imo
I don't understand why you keep bringing up Toriyama as if nobody condemns tax fraud.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:19 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:I don't see any trace either in this image. Guess we were all wrong.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
That’s funny :clap:
But still nobody is showing a pic where the whole draws are aling to shut up my mouth, I will if so .
Keep on looking for traceyotaro I'm sure at that level there’s tons of it
And again I’m not defending to copy positions like toyo did or Toriyama for tax fraud
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Tue May 22, 2018 2:26 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ToshioWrites wrote:

I don't understand why you keep bringing up Toriyama as if nobody condemns tax fraud.

There was a thread on the general board and like half the idiots in their claimed they didn’t care because he gave them db. So yes nobody really gives a shit. Speaks volumes when this tracing shit is a bigger deal than Toriyama not doing his civic duties but can’t wxpect anything different from a fandom that worships him like a god

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Tue May 22, 2018 2:27 pm

prince212 wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
That’s funny :clap:
But still nobody is showing a pic where the whole draws are aling to shut up my mouth, I will if so .
Keep on looking for traceyotaro I'm sure at that level there’s tons of it
And again I’m not defending to copy positions like toyo did or Toriyama for tax fraud
Are you kidding me, dude?? You don't need the whole damn body to tell that it's traced. Your example is clearly not lined up well. Just look at the damn legs. It's curved. You don't need another picture to see it
Get Fucked, C_unt

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Tue May 22, 2018 2:28 pm

ToshioWrites wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
ToshioWrites wrote:

There was a thread on the general board and like half the idiots in their claimed they didn’t care because he gave them db. So yes nobody really gives a shit. Speaks volumes when this tracing shit is a bigger deal than Toriyama not doing his civic duties but can’t wxpect anything different from a fandom that worships him like a god
It's because taxes don't influence the final product of DB. At all. While Toyo tracing his drawings, has a direct effect on the Manga.
Get Fucked, C_unt

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Tue May 22, 2018 2:31 pm

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
ToshioWrites wrote:
Doctor. wrote: I don't understand why you keep bringing up Toriyama as if nobody condemns tax fraud.

It's because taxes don't influence the final product of DB. At all. While Toyo tracing his drawings, has a direct effect on the Manga.

By this logic , if Toriyama was a violent criminal you wouldn’t care cause “it doesn’t effect Muh dragonball”. You can appreciate the guys talents but don’t have to indulge in celebrity worship

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Tue May 22, 2018 2:32 pm

prince212 wrote: But still nobody is showing a pic where the whole draws are aling to shut up my mouth, I will if so .
Here's the pic btw. It's the best I could find, I don't have time to make it myself right now:
Get Fucked, C_unt

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue May 22, 2018 2:33 pm

ToshioWrites wrote:You can appreciate the guys talents but don’t have to indulge in celebrity worship
That's what the people defending Toyotaro are doing.

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Tue May 22, 2018 2:34 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ToshioWrites wrote:You can appreciate the guys talents but don’t have to indulge in celebrity worship
That's what the people defending Toyotaro are doing.

I’m not defending Toyotaro, I even said he was tracing . Difference is him tracing doesn’t really impact anything in the real world, Toriyama hiding millions does but you do you.

Muh Toriyama san