"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

pacz360
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by pacz360 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:31 am

HeroR wrote:
pacz360 wrote: Batman says hi
Shazam says hi
Captain America Says hi
The Flash says hi
Spider Man days hi
Invincible days hi
Thors says hi
It ain't exclusive dude hell
Flying across spaces isn't something exclusive to big blue Thor,sentry,gladiator,surfer,wonder woman etc do it too
So yeah besides justice thing there's really not much in common between the two
Captain Marvel, although I think he is called Shazam for New 52. Which annoys many fans.
Wasn't it changed due to something with marvel

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:35 am

mfwlegend3 wrote:
pacz360 wrote:Batman says hi
Shazam says hi
Captain America Says hi
The Flash says hi
Spider Man days hi
Invincible days hi
Thors says hi
It ain't exclusive dude
That still doesn't negate what I said about Superman and Jiren sharing that same trait though, so it's entirely fair if people want to compare them.
One trait isn't enough for it to warrant a comparisons to me especially when neither are similar just because it
Unless big J does more things akin to big blue the comparison is pretty much shallow

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:40 am

Vegeta's line suggesting that he and Gokū train Gohan is easily my favorite aspect of this already really good chapter; I'm trying not to hold my breath on anything amazing for Gohan-kun, but this, combined with Gohan's recent training in the gravity chamber, something we've never known him to do, is getting me pretty excited. Training with Vegeta and Gokū would be much more beneficial for Gohan-kun than would training with Piccolo, especially if they took him into the Room of Spirit and Time.

Edit: I'm hoping Vegeta will train Gohan-kun in the Room of Spirit and Time while Gokū handles recruiting the other members. Vegeta's already shown a willingness to train Gohan, so it's not completely far-fetched.
Last edited by Black Hawk on Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:43 am

pacz360 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
pacz360 wrote: Batman says hi
Shazam says hi
Captain America Says hi
The Flash says hi
Spider Man days hi
Invincible days hi
Thors says hi
It ain't exclusive dude hell
Flying across spaces isn't something exclusive to big blue Thor,sentry,gladiator,surfer,wonder woman etc do it too
So yeah besides justice thing there's really not much in common between the two
Captain Marvel, although I think he is called Shazam for New 52. Which annoys many fans.
I doubt it since Captain Marvel (DC), is much older than Marvel's Captain Marvel. I think it was changed since people tended to called Captain Marvel 'Shazam' when it was only his power-up phase.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:25 am

vegeta didn't mention gohan's potential in this like he did for the anime. shocking

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:28 am

HeroR wrote:
pacz360 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
I doubt it since Captain Marvel (DC), is much older than Marvel's Captain Marvel. I think it was changed since people tended to called Captain Marvel 'Shazam' when it was only his power-up phase.
No, it was changed to Shazam because DC legally can't use the name

Long story short, they screwed up and didn't bother with trademarking the name after they got the rights to the character. Marvel eventually trademarks the name for their character Captain Marvel, so DC, due to later wanting to bring the character back, decided to eventually rename him to Shazam

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:49 am

You can say it, he didn`t borrowed it, he flat out stole from the competition. Just like the moniker "Man of Steel" or "Superman" aren`t exactly unique to his creation either, Pulp magazines and heroes like Doc Savage and Gladiator had them, as well as stuff that became part of his mythos like the "Fortress of Solitude".
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Avenant
Beyond Newbie

Post by Avenant » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:17 pm

Just noticed this spelling error in Viz's DBS Chapter 30 translation:

"Tell me, is it slavery if you get what you want?"

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:12 pm

jplaya2023 wrote:vegeta didn't mention gohan's potential in this like he did for the anime. shocking
Fitting continuity. The way Vegeta clowned Gohan back in Buu saga.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:23 pm

Miracles wrote:
jplaya2023 wrote:vegeta didn't mention gohan's potential in this like he did for the anime. shocking
Fitting continuity. The way Vegeta clowned Gohan back in Buu saga.
Vegeta mentioned it back in the U6 tournament arc. He said Gohan was the one with the most potential.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:48 pm

-Chapter 30-

Okay chapter.

Welp, looks like the "28 planets with Mortals" stuff is a thing in the manga too. Just like most of the DBS stuff that makes some people scratch their head...
Inb4 the "tingly feeling in the back" to turn SSJ comes from Toriyama too. Seems like a big thing to come from Toei without talking with Toriyama's first.

On other hand, I don't know why Toyotaro keeps insisting Goku was never there for Gohan's birth. I'm glad Toei didn't go this far.
He never kissed his wife on the mouth and despite being alive, he never saw her pregnant and he wasn't there when Gohan was born either...WTF is happening here?! :roll:

Bra's birth was also handled worse.I already know Whis gets new abilities whenever the plot needs him to do something, but he glare on Bulma's belly and Bra just come out doesn't feel right. At least he should use his magic staff like he did in the anime . It's magic and more believable...

Goku remembered about Tenshinhan and that's a point for Toyotaro. In the anime seemed like if he wasn't with Roshi, he would never have crossed Goku's mind.

The best thing about this version keeps being Belmod's character. It's clear Toyotaro loves his character and that's great, because he's giving me what I wanted. I also love his home design.

Even though his attacks were lame, Jiren seems to have a personality here, which makes him more interesting. Toyotaro may have a hard time later though.
If he wants to return to Universe 11 as soon as possible, I expect him to kick ass as soon as ToP starts and that means trouble for all his opponents, because most of them will be eliminated quickly. I expect Belmod to tell him to hold back, since Zeno wants to be entertained and it wouldn't be fun seeing one guy quickly winning the Tournament.

Jiren also wants to fulfill a wish in the anime, so there's still hope for his character.

Toppo keeps being boring in the manga and thus Toei takes that one. I also don't like how Toyotaro already showed pretty much all the Pride Troopers.

Anyway, this was the worst chapter of this arc so far. I expected the worst chapters to be the about recruitment part, so I'm not surprised.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:02 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:He never kissed his wife on the mouth and despite being alive, he never saw her pregnant and he wasn't there when Gohan was born either...WTF is happening here?! :roll:
I can accept him never kissing Chichi, or being there for the exact moment of Gohan being born, but yeah, the fact that he never once saw Chichi's stomach in the full 9 months that she was pregnant really is questionable.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:24 pm

mfwlegend3 wrote:I can accept him never kissing Chichi, or being there for the exact moment of Gohan being born, but yeah, the fact that he never once saw Chichi's stomach in the full 9 months that she was pregnant really is questionable.
It's dumb, if Toriyama/Toyotaro wanted to make another 'fun' gag about how Goku is a "bad father" they at least should tried to make sense.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:25 pm

mfwlegend3 wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:He never kissed his wife on the mouth and despite being alive, he never saw her pregnant and he wasn't there when Gohan was born either...WTF is happening here?! :roll:
I can accept him never kissing Chichi, or being there for the exact moment of Gohan being born, but yeah, the fact that he never once saw Chichi's stomach in the full 9 months that she was pregnant really is questionable.
Are you guys reading a botched translation? Nowhere is it said Goku never saw Chi-Chi pregnant. He just doesn't know how babies are born, not surprising since he didn't saw any of his sons be born.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:33 pm

That exactly what mfwlegend3 is questioning. It doesn't make sense for Goku who spent most of his lifetime on Earth doesn't know anything about babies, despite seeing or not Chichi pregnant.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

mfwlegend3
Regular

Post by mfwlegend3 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:37 pm

LightBing wrote:Are you guys reading a botched translation? Nowhere is it said Goku never saw Chi-Chi pregnant. He just doesn't know how babies are born, not surprising since he didn't saw any of his sons be born.
Chapter 21 has Goku see Bulma pregnant for the first time and question why she even looks like that to begin with, thus implying he's never seen a pregnant woman before.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:55 pm

Noah wrote:
mfwlegend3 wrote:I can accept him never kissing Chichi, or being there for the exact moment of Gohan being born, but yeah, the fact that he never once saw Chichi's stomach in the full 9 months that she was pregnant really is questionable.
It's dumb, if Toriyama/Toyotaro wanted to make another 'fun' gag about how Goku is a "bad father" they at least should tried to make sense.
It's another one of those little details about Dragon Ball that we really didn't need to know about in the first place. It doesn't detract from the overall narrative, but it's so unnecessary. Especially considering how much heat some fans give Goku for his role as a husband and father.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:58 pm

mfwlegend3 wrote:
LightBing wrote:Are you guys reading a botched translation? Nowhere is it said Goku never saw Chi-Chi pregnant. He just doesn't know how babies are born, not surprising since he didn't saw any of his sons be born.
Chapter 21 has Goku see Bulma pregnant for the first time and question why she even looks like that to begin with, thus implying he's never seen a pregnant woman before.
It's the old you look fat but are pregnant instead joke. The assumption that Goku stayed nine months away from home in peacetime with his wife pregnant - which she certainly wouldn't take well given her personality, is pretty out there. I mean it literally goes against what we see in chapter 27, which people apparently completely missed the point off.

In Chapter 27 we see Goku and Vegeta in situations similar and opposite at the same time. Toyotarõ - or Mr.Toriyama I can't remember if the anime has this - tell us how Goku and Vegeta love their families in their own way in the chapter.

Goku is missing training to earn money for his family, to such a degree he even got hit by bullets! He's doing it because he promised Chi-Chi, he could just tell her off. Likewise Vegeta interrupts his training to be there for Bulma during birth, this is how he cares about her.

So what we have is both Saiyans caring for their wives in their own way. Bulma doesn't need Vegeta to earn money, but apparently cares about him being around for the birth. Chi-Chi apparently doesn't care about having Goku around for births but asks him to contribute in another ways to the family.

I also didn't like Toyotarõ going over the top with the joke, he isn't however bad mouthing Goku. How did so many people missed this in their knee-jerk reaction and even after all this time still don't see it?

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:08 pm

Toei may fuck up a lot of things but at least they don't have goku treat gohan as if he's some disappointment in the anime or how he never saw gohan birth while in the anime he only mentions never seeing goten birth given he was dead.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:15 pm

pacz360 wrote:Toei may fuck up a lot of things but at least they don't have goku treat gohan as if he's some disappointment in the anime or how he never saw gohan birth while in the anime he only mentions never seeing goten birth given he was dead.
Is understandable on how goku sees gohan in the manga,is just that he is not into fighting like everyone and screw up way too much,is much better instead of putting him in a pedestal like the anime.
Mostly active on discord.