"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by batistabus » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:25 am

TKA wrote:Freeza stuff
I'm not sure if I agree with all of this, but you bring up some very interesting points. Referring to your bit at the end, it reminded me of how I feel about the anime's version of Goku Black. I much prefer how the character is handled in the manga because it makes more sense and is more consistent with the story, but I really enjoy listening to Nozawa's performance. I think it's the same with Freeza in the ToP. Freeza saying something like "What shall slip next? Hohoho..." seems really weird compared to his previous behavior and based on the fact that he's been tortured in hell non-stop for years, but I love it because of how Nakao delivers the lines.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:58 am

This was a good chapter. Though whoever translated Freeza's dialogue should've made him sound more Freeza like
I do hope the Androids/Goku alliance makes it in
Last edited by OLKv3 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:07 am

Sorry for the double post. Viz just uploaded the new chapter! I absolutely love it. https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapter/ ... 562?read=1

-It was surprisingly hilarious. I found myself laughing multiple times. Thanks to Toriyama's guidance, Toyotaro's really getting the hang of emulating his idiotic humor.
-I really hated how Califla and Kale were portrayed in the anime. Totally different here. Kale is timid, but not embarrassingly so. Her hidden potential that Califla is oblivious to (but Cabba picks up on) works much better. Cabba is SO COOL...totally different from his pathetic incompetence from the anime.
-Like the original manga, it's a breeze to read through. Toyotaro's storyboarding is a lot more dynamic, and he's continuing to incorporate more subtle aspects of Toriyama's style. I've always thought he's done a great job, but it's nice to see him continue to improve. Comparing this to Toyble's earlier work is really night and day.
-Some of Viz's translation choices were questionable, as usual.

Really felt like a kid again reading this one. Can't wait for 33!

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:16 am

Toyotaro confirms that he wrotechapter 32 after Hiromi tsuru's death,so yes bulma's line were intentialy same to anime
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:54 am

Another good chapter. Cabba seems to have developed since Champa's arc as he's more confident than before. Kale and Caulifla are nowhere near as annoying as the anime and saving their forms is a major improvment over what the anime did as they'll have more weight to them when they use them later on. Overall the pre tournament part of the arc is far superior to its anime counterpart so hopefully the tournament itself will be as well.

Toyotarou said he couldn't say anything about Super's ending so hopefully it means he'll be able to continue past the current arc if the anime isn't back by the time it ends as this is by far the best thing to come out of modern DB.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:27 am

Agreed on the treatment of both Caulifla and, especially, Kale in this chapter. Liked that little forshadowing that hinted that Kale was much stronger than she let on. SEE KIDS, THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU ACTUALLY HAVE TIME TO DEVELOP NARRATIVE. You have like, good writing and stuff. Who'd a thunk it?

I think I generally agree with TKA about Frieza's treatment in DBS--it verges a little to close to making Frieza an anti-hero. I don't think the manga fixes that worry, though it's a bit too early to see whether or not Frieza will come out a bit more threatening here than he does in the anime. While I wished they had adapted Frieza and Goku's fight with the assassins in the manga, I did love how they both just appeared after having beaten the shit out of each other.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:43 am

Very good chapter. This chapter truly felt like it could belong to the original manga. The humor is good and the portrayal of characters is great as always. The anime handled Freeza's resurrection much better, though, but the U6 Saiyans are definitely better in the manga.
I had a feeling of realistic-ness reading the Sadala part. Very good job by Toyotaro handling Caulifla like that, and it also opens up the possibility for more talented U6 Saiyans to exist while the anime left it very vague and didn't build their world at all. I really felt like I wanted to see more out of U6 Saiyans and Sadala which is something I didn't feel at all in the anime. Cabba already knowing Caulifla was bad in the anime and Renso was a useless addition. For how much the anime has done good with handling Freeza, Toyotaro has done good with handling U6 Saiyans but unfortunately we will never get the "perfect" version, although the anime could still expand on U6 Saiyans while Toyotaro has sort of ruined Freeza's re-introduction in the manga forever.

There's also a veil of mystery about other universes' fighters in the manga, which adds up tension and intrigue. I truly feel like they could end up fighting dangerous opponents, and right now I'm expecting Toyotaro to do a better job at handling the various fighters.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:02 am

Just read the chapter, I prefer the way Cabba, Kale, and Caulifla was handled in the manga. Cabba came off less whiny, Caulifla came off less bitchy, etc. Also I liked that Caulifla seems to be sort of a robin hood like character, stealing from the Saiyan royal's to supply her people in the hood/slums of Sadala with food/supplies. Still think it's strange that U6 Saiyan's (Especially ones in the Royal Sadala Army) require ray guns instead of being able to at least shoot a simple ki blast.

I preferred the way the anime handled the Krillin/Gohan recruitment. In the anime Goku got Krillin because he respected him, while here he got Krillin because he's "small and fast". The manga completely skips Gohan training, though I do enjoy that Gohan is wearing the demon clan/Piccolo gi. Wish the anime went with that look as well.
Also I'm annoyed the entire 18 & 17 reunion, the 17 and Piccolo handshake, etc happened off screen. 17 and 18 doesn't even appear till the end, and we get no info on who's watching Marron considering she's definitely not with Bulma at the end, and we get no information on how 17 got Trunks to watch his island. So we're left to assume the kids are watching his island like in the anime. But they wasted time adding in Trunks saying Bra looks like a "monkey" "earlier that day" and learning Whis doesn't sleep for whatever reason. This is one thing I'm going to miss about the anime, as having both allowed us to fill in the blanks in some cases.

Zamasu55
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Zamasu55 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:25 am

Goku says he wasn't at full power against Toppo. This means he only uses the base SsjB, not the the full-powered one.

See, this is why I prefer the manga over the anime. Toyo actually cares about power levels. Now we know that manga Goku is indeed stronger than manga Toppo.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:39 am

Zamasu55 wrote:Goku says he wasn't at full power against Toppo. This means he only uses the base SsjB, not the the full-powered one.

See, this is why I prefer the manga over the anime. Toyo actually cares about power levels. Now we know that manga Goku is indeed stronger than manga Toppo.
Is no different than the Anime.Mastered SSB=SSSBKK.
    After reading it, I've enjoyed this chapter a lot rather than reading summaries.U6 was definitely the highlight,i really liked the way they potrayed Caulifla,Kale and Cabba especially Cabba, since he didn't felt like a wimp here.I liked Kale potrayal,she isn't annoying here and thanks we didn't get Caulifla pulling a SS2 out of nowhere.
      I really hated Krillin and #18 reaction to the tournament,is so terrible and stupid,is sad this was a toriyama idea.Frieza sure he wasn't cool but I liked how they showed him here,of course he would beat the living tar of the guy who killed him.
        Really annoyed that we didn't see Gohan ultimate power and as the fact we're in the tournament this soon.
        Last edited by The gr on Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
        Mostly active on discord.

Spider-Man
        Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:53 am

This was good chapter but it was bit rushed.
          I really like the potrayal of the U6 Saiyan,Cabba isn't a wimp,Kale isn't ABC and Caulifla didn't obtain SS2 out of nowhere there introduction was definitely better in the manga.
            I really hated Krillin and #18 reaction to the tournament it was stupid definitely the worst moment for those two character and I was disappointed we didn't see ultimate Gohan.
              The dream sequence Frieza was pretty cool,I like the way how they protay him in this sure he was a wimp but I liked it.
                Overall good chapter but it was bit rushed and I was disappointed that we didn't see the other Universes but oh well I guess it will be the next chapter will introduce them.
                  My prediction, it will be similar on how the God of destruction were introduced,were the great priest call everyone and we will see Hit recruiting Frost, Brianne transformation,Dr Paparoni and his robot,Jiren and some of the other Universes in the Ring.The last couple of pages will be the rumble with everyone clashing similar to chapter 28.

perucho1990
                  I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:30 am

Caulifla didnt care about being erased like in the anime, i assume it was part of the outline, although overall portrayal of the U6 Saiyan Kids was good.

Cabba wasnt a complete wimp, Kale isnt a yandere/jealous, Caulifla is still the same imo(for now), lets wait until she meets Goku first and if she will also refuse to shake hands with him.

The gr
                  I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:48 am

You know for a chapter that didn't contained that much action,the art was really good,this shot of Vegeta is really good[spoiler]ImageIt makes a good Avatar.[/spoiler]

prince212
                  OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:01 am

I like it , next month I’ll aboid spoilers because reading the whole thing is nicer
                  I only missed a bit of Gohan training
                  Art is nice , Freeza halo out of some panels where he’s not the main actor is not a big deal, but that panel with kuririn xs-size kill me
                  Feels good that cabba seems to have some leadership skills and kale has neurons
                  8/10
                  It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

RedHeat
                  Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:23 am

What's with Caulifla and juice?
                  Feels over Reals.

TheMikado
                  I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:26 am

RedHeat wrote:What's with Caulifla and juice?
                  Likely supposed to be alcohol.

TheMikado
                  I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:29 am

The gr wrote:You know for a chapter that didn't contained that much action,the art was really good,this shot of Vegeta is really good[spoiler]ImageIt makes a good Avatar.[/spoiler]
                  I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that panel. I got some serious bad-@ss feels from that one shot. Very Z-like. Same feelings when Goku arrived on Earth or Namek, After Piccolo fused, etc.

TheMikado
                  I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:38 am

The gr wrote:
                  Zamasu55 wrote:Goku says he wasn't at full power against Toppo. This means he only uses the base SsjB, not the the full-powered one.

Is no different than the Anime.Mastered SSB=SSSBKK.
                    After reading it, I've enjoyed this chapter a lot rather than reading summaries.U6 was definitely the highlight,i really liked the way they potrayed Caulifla,Kale and Cabba especially Cabba, since he didn't felt like a wimp here.I liked Kale potrayal,she isn't annoying here and thanks we didn't get Caulifla pulling a SS2 out of nowhere.
                      I really hated Krillin and #18 reaction to the tournament,is so terrible and stupid,is sad this was a toriyama idea.Frieza sure he wasn't cool but I liked how they showed him here,of course he would beat the living tar of the guy who killed him.
                        Really annoyed that we didn't see Gohan ultimate power and as the fact we're in the tournament this soon.
                        Actually I liked Krillin's reaction at least in the Viz translation. Krillin specifically says the thing he was most mad at goku about wasn't the prize money but lying to Krillin. Krillin seems to say that he will participate after but that 18 wouldn't go unless she gets paid. Definitely liked the Frieza beat-up too.
                        As fo the Gohan thing, I'm actually really happy they didn't specify his training.

Gohan and Piccolo could have easily spent a day in RoSaT during that time period. We see a full day pass so its not out of the question and we know they were at the lookup because Piccolo had senzu beans on him. Gohan making some strength gains might make a lot of sense if they later reveal that's where Piccolo and Gohan were for the past 24 hours and would also explain why Gohan elected to wear Piccolos gear.

But I'm really loving Kale and Cauilfa so far. Caulifa seems completely different mostly because she's a notoriously powerful fighter and more of a leader rather than a straight up brat. I think the design goes a long way to this for me too. Even some shots where she seems to have more shapely muscles in her abdomen and arm go a long way to instilling she isn't just some punk kid. Kale, it's like night and day and I like the fact that Cabba, not Caulifa wanted to bring her along. It doesn't seem like Caulifa cared on bringing her along and didn't seem Kale wanted to come either.

Noah
                        Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:39 am

The gr wrote:You know for a chapter that didn't contained that much action,the art was really good,this shot of Vegeta is really good[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
                        Too bad once again they missed his scars.
                        乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

The gr
                        I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:48 am

TheMikado wrote:
                        I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that panel. I got some serious bad-@ss feels from that one shot. Very Z-like. Same feelings when Goku arrived on Earth or Namek, After Piccolo fused, etc.
                        Thanks,this chapter contained a lot of good scenes,with this panel of team U7 being my favorite Image
                        Noah wrote: Too bad once again they missed his scars.
                        What do you mean.