"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Olympian
Regular

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Olympian » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:32 pm

batistabus wrote:
Olympian wrote:
JulianStyles wrote:So we officially know now the Tien bashing of episode 89 and 90 was Toei made up bull shit. And not from Toriyama.
I`m really perplexed at the notion that Tien bashed Yamcha in all versions when it`s clearly never been the case. But whoever wants to push the joke and I`m not sayig the poster I was adressing this with, is one of them, but whoever wants to push the joke can do what you can read on Gamefaqs boards.

"Tien totally bashed Yamcha in the latest chapter because he said he would get Chiatzu if he was too scared to come!"

Which is again not the case here. At this point haters and "comedians" will push the narrative as it suits them. I am more upset at studios and devs giving them the ammo to run things with.
Again, these are humans who have genuine fears and insecurities. After being impaled by No. 20 and restored with Senzu, Yamcha decided to tag along but not fight. Same for the Cell Games. This doesn't mean Yamcha is a coward, but it means that Yamcha isn't as brave as, say, Goku. Tenshinhan and Kame-sen'nin think Goku is attempting to recruit Yamcha, but because Goku has yet to show up, assume Yamcha is too afraid to compete. This is a reasonable assumption considering the stakes of the tournament and Yamcha's previous behavior. Chaozu has shown his willingness to blatantly sacrifice himself for the greater good, which would be useful despite the fact that he isn't as strong as Yamcha. This doens't mean Tenshinhan is "roasting" yamcha, it just means he's looking at the situation realistically.
Both Yamcha and Tenshinhan decided to accept the Cell games invitations and equally made clear they were there to help if necessary. Toryama didn`t write Tenshinhan any different than Yamcha in that scene. Neither of them took the chance to compete because Goku was going to have his shot and everyone believed he was the only one who could pull the plug. This goes in line with Tenshinhan passing the opportunity to train in the Time Chamber.

Even in the manga, iirc, there`s at least still a panel of Yamcha in a group panel trying to fight a Cell Jr after what would be his arm being broken before getting inevitably knocked down. When he retires is at the same time most retire. Tenshinhan doesn`t even show up for the Tournament and Kuririn was relying on #18 for the prize money.

Again, it could be a valid arc if they had the character adressing it like they do with Kuririn but do we get that? No, we get other characters making passing remarks on his back.

I don`t buy this Yamcha being necessarily less brave than the rest of the main cast. Sure, he`s not Goku but nobody else is as stubburnly brave as he is, save maybe Vegeta with his Saiyan pride speech. Toryama was far from perfect with his former protagonists but that is not the Yamcha he wrote.

(Yes, I`m aware this isn`t Toryama).
TKA wrote:
Olympian wrote:
JulianStyles wrote: with no concept of social interactions.
That's literally why he "roasts" them. To them it's mean and cruel, but to him he's just being honest because he doesn't know any better. There's absolutely no malice in what Goku says. He's just a literal brain damaged idiot.
I can get behind it but it`s happening too often :lol:

Like, when Roshi was telling yamcha his style was too flashy, that`s fighting trash talk 101 but I saw no malice because it`s old masters peep talk but even then Goku didn`t lowbat Yamcha`s prowess. He especifically caimed Yamcha ws indeed good because he had fought him and we know it wasn`t a walk either way. So the end result is simply that Chun, aka Roshi was that good. He was better than anyone Goku had seen at this point, save maybe Grandpa Gohan if he had any notion of his reputation at all.

I get that Goku has no way to tell in this case because a) the scene as shown stops there and b) he gets zero from Science. That`s why I am hoping this isn`t just bait.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

batistabus
Patreon Supporter

Post by batistabus » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:00 pm

Olympian wrote: Both Yamcha and Tenshinhan decided to accept the Cell games invitations and equally made clear they were there to help if necessary. Toryama didn`t write Tenshinhan any different than Yamcha in that scene. Neither of them took the chance to compete because Goku was going to have his shot and everyone believed he was the only one who could pull the plug. This goes in line with Tenshinhan passing the opportunity to train in the Time Chamber.

Even in the manga, iirc, there`s at least still a panel of Yamcha in a group panel trying to fight a Cell Jr after what would be his arm being broken before getting inevitably knocked down. When he retires is at the same time most retire. Tenshinhan doesn`t even show up for the Tournament and Kuririn was relying on #18 for the prize money.

Again, it could be a valid arc if they had the character adressing it like they do with Kuririn but do we get that? No, we get other characters making passing remarks on his back.

I don`t buy this Yamcha being necessarily less brave than the rest of the main cast. Sure, he`s not Goku but nobody else is as stubburnly brave as he is, save maybe Vegeta with his Saiyan pride speech. Toryama was far from perfect with his former protagonists but that is not the Yamcha he wrote.

(Yes, I`m aware this isn`t Toryama.)
I'm simply referring to this scene.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

puar
Beyond Newbie

Post by puar » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:18 am

I'm so glad toyotoro skipped all this filler crap of the recruitment arc that we got in the anime. but i thought that skipping the cauliflia ssj transformation was not a good choice.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:29 am

Olympian wrote:
JulianStyles wrote:Image
Can we discuss the manga has portrayed Krillin for who he is. A out of shape scared bitch. No wonder he will be first eliminated. Strongest Earthling my ass.
Jesus, is Goku roasting his own friends actually a thing now? In FigtherZ in two different Yamcha cutscenes, he either unknowingly roasts Krillin or Yamcha. When the frag did Goku turn into such an asshole that he started disrespeting his own friends, all who are MA accomplices and former team students? You weren`t like this when you were a kid living in the mountains with no concept of social interactions.

Even worse is Krillin coming out with the first kick on his own legs and yet he comes in whereas someone like Yamcha don`t just because he`s a Toryama darling :thumbdown: They are fucking these characters up.
Goku always been blunt. he is not one for holding back insults, in fact i don't think this even is an insult.

Not to mention this is written by a fan, what you read in super's manga is what a lot of fans think of the characters and have said overtime.
'

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:24 am

Totamo wrote:
Olympian wrote:
JulianStyles wrote:Image
Can we discuss the manga has portrayed Krillin for who he is. A out of shape scared bitch. No wonder he will be first eliminated. Strongest Earthling my ass.
Jesus, is Goku roasting his own friends actually a thing now? In FigtherZ in two different Yamcha cutscenes, he either unknowingly roasts Krillin or Yamcha. When the frag did Goku turn into such an asshole that he started disrespeting his own friends, all who are MA accomplices and former team students? You weren`t like this when you were a kid living in the mountains with no concept of social interactions.

Even worse is Krillin coming out with the first kick on his own legs and yet he comes in whereas someone like Yamcha don`t just because he`s a Toryama darling :thumbdown: They are fucking these characters up.
Goku always been blunt. he is not one for holding back insults, in fact i don't think this even is an insult.

Not to mention this is written by a fan, what you read in super's manga is what a lot of fans think of the characters and have said overtime.
'
I don't get any complain about that scene since goku isn't roasting or insulting krillin.He just tries to convince krillin in his own way,the way of a dumb iliiterate brain damaged alien.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:09 am

batistabus wrote: I'm simply referring to this scene.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Right but translation issues aside that are common in Dragon Ball that`s not a character rule or arc since he still fights again against more powerful foes at the Cell games. His feeling of being powerless here is related to Gero and #19 being able to steal away their life energy, something that also got Goku out and almost Piccolo if not for the Gohan save.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:11 am

Hawk9211 wrote:I don't get any complain about that scene since goku isn't roasting or insulting krillin.He just tries to convince krillin in his own way,the way of a dumb iliiterate brain damaged alien.
It`s an observation. To me he seemed to have more common sense when he was a kid but if he`s an idiot I apologize the trigger.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:17 pm

batistabus wrote:
Olympian wrote: Both Yamcha and Tenshinhan decided to accept the Cell games invitations and equally made clear they were there to help if necessary. Toryama didn`t write Tenshinhan any different than Yamcha in that scene. Neither of them took the chance to compete because Goku was going to have his shot and everyone believed he was the only one who could pull the plug. This goes in line with Tenshinhan passing the opportunity to train in the Time Chamber.

(Yes, I`m aware this isn`t Toryama.)
I'm simply referring to this scene.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
He's kidding himself here he knows he'll fight if he has to.

A couple of pages later he rushes with everyone else to fight 19 and free Goku from his grasp.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:51 pm

Olympian wrote:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Right but translation issues aside that are common in Dragon Ball that`s not a character rule or arc since he still fights again against more powerful foes at the Cell games. His feeling of being powerless here is related to Gero and #19 being able to steal away their life energy, something that also got Goku out and almost Piccolo if not for the Gohan save.
but yamcha didn't know Gero could take energy.....he was uh... he was the first down.

Also goku was having a heartattack and piccolo later said he would have been fine because gero didn't know how they used ki.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:18 pm

Totamo wrote:
Olympian wrote:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
but yamcha didn't know Gero could take energy.....he was uh... he was the first down.

Also goku was having a heartattack and piccolo later said he would have been fine because gero didn't know how they used ki.
Yes he did know, Gero grabbed his face and drained his power before stabbing him, arguably draining him was WHY he could stab him I'm one shot like that.

He tells the others, starts to wonder if he imagined it and then Goku gets his kamehameha absorbed proving it. The dialogue is right there.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:22 pm

Not a bad chapter. Glad we skipped the filler we seen already in the anime and got to it!
I got a kick outta Vegeta communicating with Gohan and 17 briefly.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:17 pm

TobyS wrote:
Totamo wrote:
Olympian wrote:

Yes he did know, Gero grabbed his face and drained his power before stabbing him, arguably draining him was WHY he could stab him I'm one shot like that.

He tells the others, starts to wonder if he imagined it and then Goku gets his kamehameha absorbed proving it. The dialogue is right there.
No, you aren't getting me. Yamcha was the first to know because he was the first one down, he did not know this information when he confronted Gero.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:12 am

Totamo wrote: but yamcha didn't know Gero could take energy.....he was uh... he was the first down.

TobyS wrote:

I`m metting all of you halfway :D

He wasn`t sure what happened, so he felt poweless but he suspected it. IIRC when he arrived at the scene with Gohan, Gohan muses to Piccolo about his suspicions (that so far were due to Goku`s heart attack) and then they see Goku`s Kamehameha being absorsed. That`s when everybody was sure.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:19 pm

Any idea about when we’ll know if there’s dragon ball super manga after T.O.P ? I heard that Toyotarou said he can’t say anything .. he posted weeks ago some raw drawing about new angels ... hopefully that means something after T.O.P
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:40 pm

I hope it keeps going somewhat.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:57 pm

prince212 wrote:Any idea about when we’ll know if there’s dragon ball super manga after T.O.P ? I heard that Toyotarou said he can’t say anything .. he posted weeks ago some raw drawing about new angels ... hopefully that means something after T.O.P
I'm kind of conflicted on his recent drawings. Part of me is refusing to get my hopes up (so I don't get let down) that the drawings mean anything for the future of Dragon Ball and instead believe that perhaps he's just drawing how he thinks the other Guide Angels for the previously erased universes would have looked or something along those lines. Another part of me, however, wants to be hopeful that, since Guide Angels recently haven't been erased with their respective universes, that a wish on the Super Dragon Balls to bring back the erased universes will also bring back the six from before, bringing them into the story.

However, that first part of me I mentioned is also considering that, since we don't know the circumstances by which the previous six universes were erased, they could have been erased without warning, Guide Angels and all.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:51 pm

If we are to assume that all the Universes ranks are the same, and there a lot of evidence to suggest they are, Universe 11 is still ranked 5th. The best out of all the ones on the chopping block.

Now in the anime it feels like a big team effort what with Belmod and Khai's good relationship, how Belmod views justice and the work of the Pride Troopers. In the manga Belmod is an ass#### who's tired of his job.

I can help but feel that the only real reason U11's ranked 5th is because Jiren is basically carrying the whole universe.

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:13 am

Late to the party, but I liked seeing Toyotaro explore situations Toei hadn't explored (such as SSB Vegeta vs Beerus) with SS Cabba vs Caulifla. Can't wait to see this ToP unfold in the manga.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:40 am

prince212 wrote:Any idea about when we’ll know if there’s dragon ball super manga after T.O.P ? I heard that Toyotarou said he can’t say anything .. he posted weeks ago some raw drawing about new angels ... hopefully that means something after T.O.P
No idea but it's not likely.

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:56 am

We'll see in the next chapter how things go with the manga. If the whole chapter will focus mostly on other universes and they'll start the tournament at around page 30, we can say it will be a slow paced chapter and that we can expect at least 8 chapters of TOP. If Krillin or another Z fighter gets eliminated in the next chapter, I say the manga will finish in May.